PDA

View Full Version : A P.S.A fer yer Mutts .

olevetonahill
12/7/2012, 12:45 PM
If ya havent been get em started on the Heartworm preventive Meds. Is only about 2 bucks a month per Mutt.

I had Knothead on em fer years then somehow just let it slip my mind and never thot about it again, Now he has em and the treatment may kill him, still have to take that chance tho cause the heartworms WILL kill him. I like My country vet here, Treatment is only gonna cost 300 bucks, I bet in a Big city it might cost up to 3 K who knows

Anyway get em tested get em treated and get em the Preventative meds , its 1 pill ya give once a month

Heres the cycle of em
http://heartwormprevention.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/heartworm-prevention-cycle.jpg

Heres what they do to yer Dogs heart

http://www.montanawildlife.com/images/heartworm.jpg

Killerbees
12/7/2012, 12:51 PM
ivomec

readily available and much less than 300, hell for 50 bucks you could treat 1000 dogs.

dilute with glycol, also readily available.

Before starting an ivomec routine though, just like any heartworm medication, give a reduced dosage for several months then work up to full dose to clear any heartworms out.

olevetonahill
12/7/2012, 12:56 PM
ivomec

readily available and much less than 300, hell for 50 bucks you could treat 1000 dogs.

Before starting an ivomec routine though, just like any heartworm medication, give a reduced dosage for several months then work up to full dose to clear any heartworms out.

Ill Trust my Vet, But thanks

rock on sooner
12/7/2012, 01:02 PM
My vet has a better memory than I do, reminds me by postcard
about all that stuff so Scruffy gets good care...

olevetonahill
12/7/2012, 01:08 PM
My vet has a better memory than I do, reminds me by postcard
about all that stuff so Scruffy gets good care...

Heh

Killerbees
12/7/2012, 05:46 PM
yes I have a vet that I trust and know well too, he's the one that told me to save the money and do it myself. The only routine thing he does is rabies. I give the other vacs about every 3 years or so. I use the ivomec (which is what is in heartworm medicines) monthly.

I can see taking a single dog, to the vet for routine stuff like that, but if you have a pack of hunting dogs then it becomes much more worth it to do it yourself.

The only routine thing I have to pay for with our dogs is the grooming bill on my wife's toy poodle. Its $65 every 6 weeks. I would pay 100 and still not groom that bitch myself.

olevetonahill
12/7/2012, 07:01 PM
Go for it then. What Ive read the ONLY Federally approved treatment for heartworms contains arsenic , Yea Ima let the vet decide that dosage

If you have a pack of dogs and they all have Heartworms yer doing sompun wrong anyway

8timechamps
12/7/2012, 07:17 PM
Good post vet. I lost a dog years ago to heartworm. I learned the hard way.

Hope your little buddy fights through!

olevetonahill
12/7/2012, 07:21 PM
Got post vet. I lost a dog years ago to heartworm. I learned the hard way.

Hope your little buddy fights through!

Makes No sense to not give em the preventive. I just got forgetful and quit . Now knothead is over 11 and hes over weight just like me an Biznacho. But Doc says he thinks hes still strong enough to take the cure

8timechamps
12/7/2012, 10:27 PM
Makes No sense to not give em the preventive. I just got forgetful and quit . Now knothead is over 11 and hes over weight just like me an Biznacho. But Doc says he thinks hes still strong enough to take the cure

Completely agree. My vet finally gave me a calendar (every year around this time of year) that has the days marked. It's from the company that makes the meds, so I'm sure it's just an advertising thing...but it does come in handy.

Good luck!

olevetonahill
12/7/2012, 11:13 PM
ivomec

Now if yer sayin for a Prevention type Med Id guess yer right , But for actually treatin them AFTER the dog is infected. Ima disagree a bunch

StoopTroup
12/9/2012, 05:32 PM
If your Dog was diagnosed with adult heart worms in the heart....Unfortunately, there is only one approved drug available that will do that. It is called melarsomine dihydrochloride and it is marketed as Immiticide by Merial Pharmaceutical Company. It contains arsenic.
From what I know from one of our dogs getting them and also doing much of my own injections and meds for our dogs when we lived at the lake, sometimes you have no choice but to let the Vets treat them in life and death situations. Adult heart worms is one of those occasions IMO if you love the dog and want to increase its chance of survival.

We used the arsenic stuff the Vet gave us and it saved our Dogs life. Had we done something else....I think we would have lost him.

diverdog
12/9/2012, 10:46 PM
Go for it then. What Ive read the ONLY Federally approved treatment for heartworms contains arsenic , Yea Ima let the vet decide that dosage

If you have a pack of dogs and they all have Heartworms yer doing sompun wrong anyway

We had a bird dog get heartworms and the treatment is really rough. She was never the same after we got her cured. Same loving dog but she did not have the field stamina that she had before the treatment.

olevetonahill
12/9/2012, 11:25 PM
We had a bird dog get heartworms and the treatment is really rough. She was never the same after we got her cured. Same loving dog but she did not have the field stamina that she had before the treatment.

Knot head is over 11 now and Fat like me, He aint ever gonna have the stamina he used to.:very_drunk: