PDA

View Full Version : Ikard + Boz = Brains

badger
12/6/2012, 04:13 PM
I normally dislike weird thread titles, but it was too perfect to not steal :)

On Thursday, Ikard was named to the Capital One Academic All-America Division I Football team. He is the first Sooner to earn the award since Bosworth in 1986.

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?Ikard_+_Boz_=_Brains/12-18066)

I had no idea Boz was Academic All America. Maybe if more anti-OU fans knew they wouldn't be so quick to bash him

In any event, congrats Gabe! And a belated congrats, Boz!

Wishboned
12/6/2012, 04:30 PM
If I remember correctly Boz graduated after just 3 years at OU.

sooneron
12/6/2012, 04:38 PM
Boz was a business major IIRC. Not exactly a "Sports Education" degree. Hell, I'm fairly certain that Migliazzo was in law school during his last season.

KantoSooner
12/6/2012, 04:50 PM
Bosworth was a very smart guy. He figured out that pro ball is an entertainment spectacle more than a sport and marketed himself perfectly into that stream. He then made sure he got his money up front.
$20 mill confirmed in the mid-1980's was pretty close to the money Sammy is making today. And Boz played what? A season and half for it.

And not only that, but he was a general knowledge smart guy.

His image was earned, but did not come close to capturing who he was/is.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/6/2012, 04:55 PM
Favorite Boz story is him making "I hate the boz" shirts and selling them in Denver after he made some remarks about how much he hated john elway.

Wishboned
12/6/2012, 05:05 PM
Favorite Boz story is him making "I hate the boz" shirts and selling them in Denver after he made some remarks about how much he hated john elway.

I remember that story from his book.

He laughed all the way to the bank on that one.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/6/2012, 05:12 PM
That book was a great read.

Wishboned
12/6/2012, 05:13 PM
Yes it was. I remember reading parts of it in a bookstore before I bought it, and laughing so hard people were staring at me.

I still have my copy. Some day I'd like to get it autographed.

agoo758
12/7/2012, 02:59 AM
That is a terrific book....It blows my mind that the president of a university would open and read a students mail!

Jason White's Third Knee
12/7/2012, 09:28 AM
That is a terrific book....It blows my mind that the president of a university would open and read a students mail!

I don't remember that. Can you expound?

kingswitz
12/7/2012, 11:50 AM
I had Boz in Finance classes at OU. He was definitley a good student in the classroom! I saw him last year at OU/TX and told him we had classes together. He said "How'd we do?" Congrats to Gabe Ikard!

fwsooner22
12/7/2012, 12:44 PM
Kingswitz ..... we were most likely in the same Finance 3303 class because Boz sat right behind me. He was always in class too (at least when I went). He was HUGE.

kingswitz
12/7/2012, 02:34 PM
Kingswitz ..... we were most likely in the same Finance 3303 class because Boz sat right behind me. He was always in class too (at least when I went). He was HUGE.

Those were some good times in the 80's! Small world, fwsooner22!

possumfat
12/7/2012, 03:29 PM
Betting he would be a great defensive coach!

winout
12/7/2012, 04:25 PM
Been that long since we've an an academic AA. Interesting. The losses to ND coming more clearly in focus.

EatLeadCommie
12/7/2012, 04:28 PM
Boz's smarts were pretty widely reported at the time. He graduated early, with good grades, and with a major that required actual brainpower. Then he insured himself in the event of injury in the NFL and got some big bucks when he did get injured. He then cashed in on his fame with a couple of movies. The guy had it together.

agoo758
12/7/2012, 04:52 PM
I don't remember that. Can you expound?

According to the book, Bosworth found out that Horton had been opening his letters from fans and answering them (probably because he didn't like Bosworth responding to hate mail), Bosworth then confronted him in front of the whole team and told him that if he answered another letter, he would have him thrown in jail. That is a crazy story if that is true.

jkjsooner
12/8/2012, 08:06 AM
I remember that story from his book.

He laughed all the way to the bank on that one.

The NFL didn't let him keep that money.

VA Sooner
12/8/2012, 08:26 AM

I was there at OU when he sold those shirts to Colorado fans. LMAO when the story hit the papers...