PDA

View Full Version : No Thompson suspension for "the punch"

badger
12/6/2012, 02:35 PM
You all who also saw the game know what I'm talking about.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20121206_92_0_NRAtap431410)

I am surprised by this. When I saw the replay, I was like "he's getting suspended by the big 12 if they don't eject him." Lo and behold...

Soonerjeepman
12/6/2012, 02:44 PM
yeah, hate to say it, but I think he should. If it had been someone hitting our guys I'm sure 3/4 of the fans would be calling for a suspension. The fact he swung twice was big with me..and the guy was on the ground.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2012, 02:45 PM
I was certainly shocked he wasn't ejected. And given how thin we are on the O-line, it could have cost us the game had he been ejected. I'm guessing the ref must have seen the entire incident including whatever it was that provoked him.

olevetonahill
12/6/2012, 02:46 PM
yeah, hate to say it, but I think he should. If it had been someone hitting our guys I'm sure 3/4 of the fans would be calling for a suspension. The fact he swung twice was big with me..and the guy was on the ground.

Thats the best time to kick the sombitches.

Soonerjeepman
12/6/2012, 02:47 PM
lol...true, just sayin~

kevpks
12/6/2012, 02:54 PM
It meets my criterion for a fair and just ruling: it is in OU's favor.

olevetonahill
12/6/2012, 02:58 PM

I like yer thinkin
That other bastage should be suspended fer tryin to hurt Thompson's hand with his helmet

rock on sooner
12/6/2012, 03:07 PM
I like yer thinkin
That other bastage should be suspended fer tryin to hurt Thompson's hand with his helmet

Rumor goin around that the NCAA is gonna investigate...they figger they'll
be done 6 months after Thompson and "that other bastage" graduate...

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2012, 03:08 PM

Which is why I was so shocked at the outcome.

Soonerjeepman
12/6/2012, 03:10 PM
Which is why I was so shocked at the outcome.

xactly...

OkieThunderLion
12/6/2012, 03:27 PM
The other guy threw the first punch, a right to Thompson's neck. Quite certain that is why no suspension. But Thompson has to be smarter than that.

rock on sooner
12/6/2012, 03:37 PM
The other guy threw the first punch, a right to Thompson's neck. Quite certain that is why no suspension. But Thompson has to be smarter than that.

Yup, the second one nearly always get caught...

badger
12/6/2012, 03:37 PM
Rumor goin around that the NCAA is gonna investigate...they figger they'll
be done 6 months after Thompson and "that other bastage" graduate...

Results of investigation:

- Kelvin not allowed to text recruits
- Another few years on "probation"
- Jason White and Jordan Shipley both granted seventh year of eligibility
- Cam Newton did not solicit money for daddy in return for a Heisman/title year (but daddy sure as hell did)
- tOSU disallowed from competing for B1G/national title due to unfairly providing sh!tty free tattoos
- Penn State disallowed from erecting statues... I'm just not gonna go there
- The 2005 OU football season did NOT happen so we can all forget it
- You can pay coaches more than $5 million annually, but you can NOT pay athletes one DIME!

Scott D
12/6/2012, 03:38 PM
Thats the best time to kick the sombitches. - Ndamukung Suh

;)

olevetonahill
12/6/2012, 03:39 PM
;)

Heh

stoops the eternal pimp
12/6/2012, 03:53 PM
Wasn't anything compared to the mugging DeMarcus Granger took and nothing happened to those guys.

JiminyChristmas
12/6/2012, 04:06 PM
Wasn't anything compared to the mugging DeMarcus Granger took and nothing happened to those guys.

For sure...

TheHumanAlphabet
12/6/2012, 04:08 PM
Sounds like hard nosed football to me...

rock on sooner
12/6/2012, 04:57 PM
Sounds like hard nosed football to me...

What, bringin in a sub to do the dirty work? Heh, when I was in high
school, that happened to our stud running back. Other team sent in
a scrawny sub to punch him, so he'd get in a fight and get tossed out
of the game. Dint work cause the scrawny sub was stupid enough to
punch him right in front of the head linesman...

StoopTroup
12/6/2012, 05:51 PM
Sounds like one of those stories that the losing Team's Fans have tons of interest in because they lost to us and have forgotten that the game is over. Typical Texans.

8timechamps
12/6/2012, 06:05 PM
I was completely shocked he wasn't ejected. As for the conference ruling, I think it's the right thing (and not just because it went OUs way). The penalty was issued during the game, and the rest was left up to the coaching staff to handle. I'm sure it'll be addressed in-house (if it hasn't been already).

I was also surprised that Thompson threw the punch. Every interview I've seen with the kid, he seems like a giant teddy bear. He has admitted to "turning it on" when he steps on the field though. Then I went back and watched the replay...when a guy goes at your face/throat enough, there's gonna be a response.

Scott D
12/6/2012, 07:51 PM
It's more entertaining to watch the SEC drag their feet with the Bama player.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/6/2012, 08:35 PM
The TCU player grabbed Thompson's arm and was constantly pulling it towards him to punch himself to make it look like Thompson was punching him. There was conclusive video evidence of this after talking with the replay booth crew that did the 2006 Oklahoma/Oregon game.

goingoneight
12/6/2012, 10:09 PM
I was certainly shocked he wasn't ejected. And given how thin we are on the O-line, it could have cost us the game had he been ejected. I'm guessing the ref must have seen the entire incident including whatever it was that provoked him.

This. As they say, the games are won and lost in the trenches. It would absolutely stun the average football fan to hear the language, threats, racism, "bullying" and taunting that goes on at the LOS. The line judges have a very difficult job. It's not like a cage match referee, but it's definitely a stressful one.