PDA

View Full Version : Another ACL for Ryan

swardboy
12/5/2012, 08:39 AM
Detroit Lions WR Ryan Broyles tears ACL, out for the season
By Justin Rogers | (http://connect.mlive.com/staff/jrogers/posts.html)[email protected]
on December 03, 2012 at 3:10 PM, updated December 03, 2012 at 10:16 PM

ALLEN PARK -- Ryan Broyles' season is over.
The Detroit Lions rookie wide receiver tore the ACL in his right knee in the first quarter of Sunday's game against the Colts and will need to have it surgically repaired.

"He'll have reconstructive surgery and we'll look forward to getting him back on the field," coach Jim Schwartz said.

The injury is in the opposite knee from the ACL injury he suffered last November while playing for the University of Oklahoma.

Schwartz said many players have overcome ACL injuries in both knees, including teammates Brandon Pettigrew and Kyle Vanden Bosch.

"Ryan is a real hard-working player," Schwartz said. "He did a great job with his rehab last time. It will be a bump in the road for him, but it won't be something he can't overcome."

Broyles finishes his rookie campaign with 22 receptions for 310 yards and two touchdowns. It's the second season-ending injury the Lions have had in their receiving corps after losing Nate Burleson with a broken leg in Week 7.

Schwartz said the team will need to make some roster additions in the next couple days to compensate for the loss of Broyles. The Lions have five healthy wide receivers on the roster, but Kassim Osgood is primarily a special teams player and Titus Young is still being asked to stay away from the team.

olevetonahill
12/5/2012, 08:41 AM
DAYUM

swardboy
12/5/2012, 08:49 AM
My quick math says he was averaging about 14 yards a catch....that's immediate impact. No wonder the coach is optimistic about his comeback.

SoonerMarkVA
12/5/2012, 10:01 AM
AAARGH! Man, I feel terrible for him.

SunnySooner
12/5/2012, 10:42 AM
****!!!!

That just sucks so bad, feel awful for him. How strange that he was relatively injury free for so long, and now BOTH ACLs in what, 13, 14 months? Gotta just be so frustrating for him, but at least he knows what to do. And at least he knows he can bounce back, I'm sure the uncertainty of that when it last happened must have been terrifying for him and his family.

God bless you, Ryan, we wish you a speedy recovery, and I hope it's the last time we ever have to do that.

SoonerNomad
12/5/2012, 11:39 AM
This is just a sad story. If you have been following him this year he had recovered from last year's ACL and had worked his way up the Detroit depth chart and was finally starting alongside Calvin Johnson. He was playing extremely well the last few games including a 100+ yard effort in the game before last.

I share his coach's confidence that he will work his way back from this one too, but it just is a shame that this type of thing happens to a guy that is working so hard and finally reaping the benefits of that hard work.

jkjsooner
12/5/2012, 04:51 PM
I'd been waiting for someone to mention this. They mentioned it during Monday Night Football. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to be the guy who gets blasted for mentioning something that others have already been discussing - you know the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor thing.

I hope he gets around better than White did after his two ACL tears.

Scott D
12/5/2012, 05:53 PM
White also had a back injury when he was a freshman.

StoopTroup
12/5/2012, 06:02 PM
Before we go jumping to conclusions I think we ought to see his MRI....

:wink: