PDA

View Full Version : Some positive O-line news...possibly (also: Team meeting tonight)

8timechamps
12/4/2012, 10:06 PM
2012 Commit, John Michael McGee (OG, Texarkana, TX) left the team at the beginning of summer workouts last year (homesick), now wants to enroll in OU and join the team. Word is that he was mature about his departure in the summer, and now wants to rejoin the team.

Personally, I hope the coaches welcome him back with open arms. He was a highly rated OG last year, and Lord knows we need more depth on the O-line.

As an aside, there was a team meeting called tonight, no word on the reason. Speculation is that it's to address the recent, um, herbal consumption. Will update when I get more info...

olevetonahill
12/4/2012, 10:18 PM
Cool, Please do keep us updated Bro

agoo758
12/5/2012, 02:37 AM
Makes sense. I would assume that Saunders and the other guy are out for the bowl game. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Seamus
12/5/2012, 04:45 AM
I dunno.

If you listen to some of the Salem residents on this board, those poor bastidges are in for one serious conflagration

Notice the SoonerFans posters ---> http://wildhunt.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/witches.jpg

olevetonahill
12/5/2012, 07:29 AM
I dunno.

If you listen to some of the Salem residents on this board, those poor bastidges are in for one serious conflagration

Notice the SoonerFans posters ---> http://wildhunt.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/witches.jpg

Heh.

DenverSooner751
12/5/2012, 08:06 AM
I dunno.

But but but, that's because they're special and have inside information!!!

Or, they're doosh nozzles.

owenfieldreams
12/5/2012, 08:25 AM
Gaylord facility in Grapevine announced as team hotel @ last night's meeting.

swardboy
12/5/2012, 08:51 AM
And.............?

Widescreen
12/5/2012, 09:17 AM
http://wildhunt.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/witches.jpg
She's hot.

Ba dum bump. Crash.

Gaylord facility in Grapevine announced as team hotel @ last night's meeting.
Must be nice.

PrideMom
12/5/2012, 09:29 AM
Probably found out what kind of job you get without a college diploma. Turning down a full scholarship to ANY university is stupid, but to leave OU is REALLY stupid. If you just do what is expected of you at OU, you will be able to have a future that insures taking care of your family, etc. We take care of our own. You may not end up in the Pros, but there will always be someone that will give you a job. And these days, that is saying a lot.

olevetonahill
12/5/2012, 09:36 AM
I dunno.

She's hot.

Ba dum bump. Crash.

Must be nice.

Smokin!

badger
12/5/2012, 09:37 AM
As an aside, there was a team meeting called tonight, no word on the reason. Speculation is that it's to address the recent, um, herbal consumption. Will update when I get more info...

I know some colleges have zero tolerance on this, so the coach's hands are tied as far as suspensions go (hence :les: having to kick Honey Badger to the curb). So, perhaps the kids will decide what is really important... come on Jalen. You have a career night versus TCU and you all think you're headed to New Orleans. Why would you jeopardize that with some d@mn reefer :(

KantoSooner
12/5/2012, 10:03 AM
I can't figure out what these guys are using to clean up their pee. The tests are administered frequently, with little warning and are quite sensitive. You can't just go drink 7 gallons of Chinese tea and dilute your urine anymore. How did they think they could get away with it?
The minds of young men are mysterious places.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/5/2012, 10:08 AM
Great...The possibility of depending on a kid who doesn't know if he wants to play football or not..This year it was not..

rock on sooner
12/5/2012, 10:27 AM
Supremely talented on the field...supremely stupid off the field...

yukonsooner
12/5/2012, 10:28 AM
I can't figure out what these guys are using to clean up their pee. The tests are administered frequently, with little warning and are quite sensitive. You can't just go drink 7 gallons of Chinese tea and dilute your urine anymore. How did they think they could get away with it?

My question also. THC stays in the system for some period of time. They can test positive for up to 30 days after using. If they are frequent users the length of time of course is longer. Also if there is a foreign substance in the urine the lab results will show that. I question their testing procedures.

OkieThunderLion
12/5/2012, 11:20 AM
I know some colleges have zero tolerance on this, so the coach's hands are tied as far as suspensions go

Fortunately, OU isn't one of those schools. One game penalty!

kevpks
12/5/2012, 11:26 AM
Fortunately, OU isn't one of those schools. One game penalty!

One quarter penalty!

badger
12/5/2012, 11:32 AM
One quarter penalty!

you're thinking of urban meyer's florida :P

OkieThunderLion
12/5/2012, 11:37 AM
School administered testing is kept on the low-low, and kids are often given warning.

I wasn't at OU but I was never NCAA tested. If I recall it's pretty minimal, usually done before bowls, championships, etc.

KantoSooner
12/5/2012, 11:41 AM
Hmm, okay, I'm dated. I remember it being a more draconian affair in the 1980's. Maybe it's not an unreasonable risk these days.

Midtowner
12/5/2012, 11:42 AM
School administered testing is kept on the low-low, and kids are often given warning.

I wasn't at OU but I was never NCAA tested. If I recall it's pretty minimal, usually done before bowls, championships, etc.

Do they do urine or hair tests?

Urine only goes back 30 days for most things, some things are totally out of your system in 3 days give or take.

radio
12/5/2012, 11:45 AM
My question also. THC stays in the system for some period of time. They can test positive for up to 30 days after using. If they are frequent users the length of time of course is longer. Also if there is a foreign substance in the urine the lab results will show that. I question their testing procedures.

The 30 days is an old wives tale. It all depends on the metabolic rate of the body as well as amount consumed.
That being said a top class athlete should be able to burn it out in two to three days if used INFREQUENT.
Also, most tests have an allowable limit for naturally occuring D9THC. Even GC tests.

This was not a good decision by one of, if not, the best slot in the nation. But, I agree with Vet want to see the facts before judgement is cast.

radio
12/5/2012, 11:46 AM
2012 Commit, John Michael McGee (OG, Texarkana, TX) left the team at the beginning of summer workouts last year (homesick), now wants to enroll in OU and join the team. Word is that he was mature about his departure in the summer, and now wants to rejoin the team.

Does he lose a year of eligibility?

EatLeadCommie
12/5/2012, 11:52 AM
Clean pee can be, um, purchased. Head shops can hook you up, or friends that don't smoke.

StoopTroup
12/5/2012, 03:34 PM

This seems to go along with my idea that we might see this MJ thing be dealt with In-house.

jkjsooner
12/5/2012, 03:44 PM
Clean pee can be, um, purchased. Head shops can hook you up, or friends that don't smoke.

I betcha if the NCAA is testing it wouldn't be so easy to use purchased urine.

Now, I bet the school's testing is not nearly as stringent. I'd bet they intentionally don't watch a guy pee in the cup and testing is more of a formality to look good and the the schools would rather not find out unless there is a problem with a certain athlete.

OkieThunderLion
12/5/2012, 04:18 PM

Urine only goes back 30 days for most things, some things are totally out of your system in 3 days give or take.
Urine, at least they did 10 years ago.

StoopTroup
12/5/2012, 05:36 PM

You make it sound so easy.

Mr. Litmus...meet Professor Spectroanalysis.

You are much better off telling the truth than getting busted lying about it all. Clean Urine is a great way to lose everything.

StoopTroup
12/5/2012, 05:39 PM

If you want to go without risking it on a test for pot....you better wait 90 days, especially if you smoke a few times a week.

cherokeebrewer
12/5/2012, 06:40 PM
What about John Michael McGee? He sure aint the first to get homesick and maybe he don't smoke dope...

8timechamps
12/5/2012, 07:21 PM
Okay folks, sorry I haven't updated this earlier (sometimes I have to work :) )

Anyway, apparently Joe Powell and Danzel Williams are suspended indefinitely. Sounds very similar to the Jaz/Trey incident. There was definitely a "missing classes" component, but there was more...just don't know what else right now.

John Michael McGee definitely wants back on the team. It's up to Stoops. In my opinion, it's not hard to understand that an 18 year old might get homesick and realize that it's going to be much harder than high school. The thing that stands out to me is that knowing that, and knowing how hard it's going to be to see the field, he wants back. Sometimes mistakes are made, but if the worst thing the kid does is go home, I'd say that's not too bad.

No new news on Saunders/Johnson. The only thing I've heard is that the odds are Saunders won't even make the trip to Dallas for the bowl. We'll see.

I'll update (hopefully sooner this time) when I hear more.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/6/2012, 10:53 AM
People have to understand that weed is highly addictive. These kids have been suckered by Hollywood and rap records to enter the 'glamorous life' of marijuana. One hit and they are forever chasing the dragon... the stoned dragon.

Remember kids:

Not even once.

Amen.

jkjsooner
12/6/2012, 11:12 AM
People have to understand that weed is highly addictive. These kids have been suckered by Hollywood and rap records to enter the 'glamorous life' of marijuana. One hit and they are forever chasing the dragon... the stoned dragon.

I'm assuming this is sarcasm, right?

bonkuba
12/6/2012, 11:21 AM
I had always heard it wasn't addictive....never tried it.....not that stupid. I just don't understand why someone with so much to lose would be so stupid.

I have no sympathy for any idiot that does this knowing it is against the law and what he has to lose. You can argue that it isn't that big of a deal......and that may be a good argument.....BUT....it is still against the law....DON'T DO IT.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2012, 11:40 AM
I had always heard it wasn't addictive....never tried it.....not that stupid. I just don't understand why someone with so much to lose would be so stupid.

I have no sympathy for any idiot that does this knowing it is against the law and what he has to lose. You can argue that it isn't that big of a deal......and that may be a good argument.....BUT....it is still against the law....DON'T DO IT.

I assume you never exceed the posted speed limit when driving.

There is a fair amount of data on the addition angle and I suspect there will be a lot more coming out with the new state laws on the books. But weed is not "highly addictive" to most people - ~10% is the estimates I've seen. I stopped without a second thought, but I doubt I was considered a heavy user.

But I certainly agree it is stupid for a scholarship athlete to risk such a valuable asset this way.

rock on sooner
12/6/2012, 12:20 PM
I assume you never exceed the posted speed limit when driving.

There is a fair amount of data on the addition angle and I suspect there will be a lot more coming out with the new state laws on the books. But weed is not "highly addictive" to most people - ~10% is the estimates I've seen. I stopped without a second thought, but I doubt I was considered a heavy user.

But I certainly agree it is stupid for a scholarship athlete to risk such a valuable asset this way.

I've run across several people who quit and never gave it a second thought.
I've done a little research and I'm guessing that enhanced cultivation creates
the high addiction. Like everything else, genetic engineering increases whatever
the cultivator wants to increase. My experience was in the early 70's...dint like
how to do it, dint like the smell, dint like sharing joints, went back to barley pop
and never looked back.

Soonerjeepman
12/6/2012, 01:19 PM
addiction is physical and mental...my bro, successful doc is an alcoholic, the addiction is a response to other things. Not a smoker, just saying, he can't drink, I can..or can't..no biggie. BUT yes, if the rule is don't drink of smoke if illegal then you are taking a chance.

My question is what about CU? legal in colo for 21 and up...so how does the college handle that? sports? ncaa is going to have to make some choices. Course like anything else, if a company (ncaa) has certain rules, you can agree and join or not.

ByngSooner
12/6/2012, 01:33 PM
I am not going to speak as an expert but here are some of my thoughts/experiences/opinions on this topic:

1- In 20+ years of teaching/coaching HS, the kids I have heard debate for the legalization of weed have an "I don't care about anything" attitude. They are usually making grades well below what they are capable of (many failing), and usually very poorly motivated.

2- Pot has changed since the 60's. We were told by a drug enforcement professional that the percentage of THC in weed is drastically higher now than in the past and the drug may be classified as a hallucinogen, rather than depressant due to the more concentrated dosing per joint.

3- For a healthy student-athlete, what is one positive thing that can come from smoking pot?? I see nothing gained but much to lose. Just a stupid choice in my opinion.

jkjsooner
12/6/2012, 02:12 PM

I agree that it shows a lack of judgement for a player who is on a football scholarship and may have desires of playing in the NFL smokes weed.

That being said, I've known a lot of friends (many who have Ivy League degrees) who smoked weed a few times in college or in their twenties. For most it was just something they did at a party a couple of times a year. None of these people were addicted to weed by anyone's judgement and most haven't done it for a long time.

I do know one guy who regularly smokes weed. It's clear that he has some addiction to it and that smoking it has affected his ability to have close relationships. (He is successful but he's extremely smart and probably not nearly as successful as he could have been.) But I'd imagine the addiction didn't come from the first puff. It came from years of using the stuff regularly.

jkjsooner
12/6/2012, 02:20 PM
My question is what about CU? legal in colo for 21 and up...so how does the college handle that? sports? ncaa is going to have to make some choices. Course like anything else, if a company (ncaa) has certain rules, you can agree and join or not.

Well, it is still a federal crime so I doubt CU would try to allow it.

But then again, I don't think the schools really want to catch pot smokers. They may have some testing to get the NCAA or others off their backs but none of them want to go all out in an effort to rid their teams of pot smokers. That would be football suicide.

I know they keep testing results secret (probably by law have to) and we do sometimes have a player suspended for unspecified reasons, but how often do we have a guy arrested for possession when we never heard a peep about him being suspended or failing a drug test? If OU really wanted to they could find out which guys are using pot. I guarantee you they or no other school really wants to know unless there are other behavioral problems with the student athlete.

olevetonahill
12/6/2012, 02:36 PM

If it aint. Its stupidity

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2012, 02:42 PM
Almost all schools get money from the fed in some form, so I'm sure the will keep current policy. I suspect what the schools would like to drop is testing and have it be something on the honor system. I could see that happening if the fed changes the classification on weed as is being discussed. I assume alcohol is on the honor system even though it is illegal for anyone under 21. Coaches need to maintain the power to pull scholarships and should be able to require testing on players that are on probation.

Seamus
12/6/2012, 03:53 PM

If it wasn't, then it's mental illness.

olevetonahill
12/6/2012, 04:00 PM
If it aint. Its stupidity

If it wasn't, then it's mental illness.

I do believe one of us be right :very_drunk:

Seamus
12/6/2012, 04:33 PM
LOL -- maybe both.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/7/2012, 01:20 PM
I do believe one of us be right :very_drunk:

Just exactly how thick do I need to lay it on? Chasing the stoned dragon? Haha. No.

I am just going to go with this: Getting stoned is addictive. It has to be. People love that $#!+.

jk the sooner fan
12/7/2012, 01:40 PM
a person can be addicted to ANYTHING

so the notion that weed "cant be addictive" is flat out wrong

having said that - Saunders shouldnt travel to dallas -they get all sorts of gifts and crap from the Cotton Bowl folks and he shouldnt be rewarded for being selfish during a period of time when team has to come first

i'd love to have him on the field but the precedent has been set by Stoops and i think its a bad deal to break that

SouthFortySooner
12/7/2012, 10:48 PM
There's nothing like a hot girl who's hot.- DuckDynasty

Collier11
12/7/2012, 11:13 PM
Jalen Saunders has a chance to have a huge year next year, 1,000yds plus! Johnson has a chance to start next year. I dont agree that weed should be illegal even though I dont smoke (anymore :D) but follow the damn rules and go earn a paycheck dummies