12/4/2012, 01:15 PM
according to tim brando show and scout.com
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=17&f=2759&t=10909282

sooneron
12/4/2012, 01:18 PM
Ooh!! To OP, I go...

Scott D
12/4/2012, 01:19 PM
I only listen to Tim Brando when he's asking Spencer Tillman for some wisdom.

BermudaSooner
12/4/2012, 01:21 PM
Now they are saying it isn't Gundy.

Mazeppa
12/4/2012, 01:22 PM
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (KTHV) -- Current Oklahoma State Mike Gundy is the latest coach rumored to come to Arkansas as the next head coach.

The latest "buzz" surrounding the head coaching search centers around Gundy. This announcement was made by David Bazzel on the sports talk show 103.7 The Buzz. Bazzel says certain "sources" tell him that Gundy will be the next head coach.

Soonerjeepman
12/4/2012, 01:26 PM
wow, I wouldn't think Gundy would leave his alma mater. Thought he had a good gig.

badger
12/4/2012, 01:27 PM
Did anyone else hear from "sources" that Boone Pickens called Gundy after their OT loss at OU (badger: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!) to b!tch him out?

If so, I'm surprised he didn't say "I do" to the first big name suitor that called.

SoonerMarkVA
12/4/2012, 01:32 PM
Did anyone else hear from "sources" that Boone Pickens called Gundy after their OT loss at OU (badger: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!) to b!tch him out?

Is that really being rumored? Oh, my word. Gundy must love OSU one heck of a lot to still be there with that bastage breathing down his neck.

badger
12/4/2012, 01:38 PM
When the sh!t hits the fan and Pokes wonder why, here's what I posted yesterday once again:

Also... I would like to present to you THE TRUTH... in photos...

Mike Gundy: My name is Mike Gundy and I played my college ball at Oklahoma State.
http://www.thevictoryformation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Mike-Gundy-Mullet.jpg

Travis Ford: My name is Travis Ford and I played my ball somewhere else.
http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Graphics/Players/travis_ford.jpg

Mike Gundy: I have coached mostly at OSU. My family's roots are in the state of Oklahoma and I am all for Oklahoma State.
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Y3doL1vzFmY/0.jpg

Travis Ford: I took UMass to the NIT in the powerhouse conference known as the A10!
http://umasshoops.com/media/pics/2005-06/ford_intro20050325/takes_mic.jpg

Mike Gundy: While I've had my embarrassing moments, including a losing season my first year as OSU's head coach, my teams have shown steady improvement, including our first Big 12 conference title and first BCS bowl appearance, which we won.
http://www.thesportsbank.net/core/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/gundy_tirade_070923_300w.jpg

Travis Ford: I took OSU to the second round of the NCAA tourney... then the first round... then the NIT... then nothing...
http://kotv.images.worldnow.com/images/8180168_BG1.jpg

Mike Gundy: I admit that I hired an agent to handle contract negotiations, but I had the respect for my alma mater to call it my "New York Yankees job" and only want a contract that matches OSU's accomplishments during my tenure as head coach.
http://examiner-enterprise.com/sites/files/article/140088_web_1-3-12-Fiesta-Bowl.jpg

Travis Ford: OSU gave me a 10-year contract that pays more than Gundy's old contract... did I mention that my teams have been spiraling downward since my arrival?
http://binaryapi.ap.org/bce8b194fedd4b5c8ea8f992967278f2/512x.jpg

Mike Gundy: Not to mention the fact that season ticket sales and home attendance are higher than they've been in history. Although I admit that our facilities now have higher capacities than before, ticket prices are also higher, so fans have committed and commended the results that my teams have produced recently.
http://media.huskerlocker.com/files/1/blog/4b82c8a41d03d/tn_510x510_gundy.jpg

Travis Ford: Now come on, people. Of course GIA is going to look empty when those seats are bright orange if nobody's sitting in them!
http://examiner-enterprise.com/sites/files/article/161719_web_Missouri-Oklahoma-St-_Rush.jpg

PS: Don't expect me to keep this up. Eff OKLAST and all, but my goodness are they about to make a big mistake if they let Gundy go

yermom
12/4/2012, 01:39 PM
now they are saying in that thread that it's not Gundy at Arkansas

probably leverage to get more cash or control in Stoolwater

stoops the eternal pimp
12/4/2012, 01:41 PM
I will be seriously surprised it's gonna be more cash since Holder and Boone are lamenting giving him what they have already.

badger
12/4/2012, 01:48 PM
I will be seriously surprised it's gonna be more cash since Holder and Boone are lamenting giving him what they have already.

I know that t. bone is a billionaire, but no philanthropist ever wants to be totally funding any project that they are not totally in control of. OKLAST can never be Pickens' Dallas Cowboys and he knows it -- it's not solely sports, it's a land grant blah blah higher education blah blah public funding blah blah.

OSU has money problems when it comes to sports. Football attendance might be up, but football programs in college, in general, lose lots of money. It's more of a vanity thing than a profit thing to have a good football team. Something to keep the alumni interested and to sell licensed merchandise.

OSU gave Travis Ford a 10-year contract that averaged about $2 million per year, and that was before basketball attendance tanked. Tune in to your regional Fox Sports network to see exactly how much. It is no longer must-see Stillwater entertainment. There are thousands of empty bright orange (America's Brightest Orange!) seats in GIA.

Rassling, along with other OSU sports, has never been and never will be, money making sports, even if they get them some national championships to add to their grand total of 50 or so.

MONEY. It's a big effing deal when you're not profitable and subsidizing academics like OU football.

badger
12/4/2012, 01:56 PM
Can you change the thread title to Tennessee? lol:
http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-football/2012/12/04/mike-gundy-may-be-headed-for-tennessee-volunteers/

8timechamps
12/4/2012, 02:00 PM
Changed the title. Still just a rumor.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/4/2012, 02:03 PM
With what Gundy and T-Boone have done with Okie State, I don't see a move to Arky as a step up. Arky has tradition, but so what? I like Gundy. I think he is a good coach and I even kinda liked his rant a few years back, hilarious as it was.

birddog
12/4/2012, 02:04 PM
Soooo John L Smith to Stillwater. Great for the conference. T Boone is Jerry jones

badger
12/4/2012, 02:05 PM
Soooo John L Smith to Stillwater. Great for the conference. T Boone is Jerry jones

Don't you mean John L Smile?
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_malhscJ1Qu1qcytwbo1_500.jpg
m-nQLd6z9OU

8timechamps
12/4/2012, 02:06 PM

If nothing else, it would be fun to watch his interviews.

CowboyMRW
12/4/2012, 02:07 PM

It's not cash Gundy wants. It's more power, as in scheduling input. He wants home games, not neutral site games.

A big part of his name being out there is Sexton. I can post an article about Sexton here in a bit, to show you just how much power the dude holds.

I know that t. bone is a billionaire, but no philanthropist ever wants to be totally funding any project that they are not totally in control of. OKLAST can never be Pickens' Dallas Cowboys and he knows it -- it's not solely sports, it's a land grant blah blah higher education blah blah public funding blah blah.

OSU has money problems when it comes to sports. Football attendance might be up, but football programs in college, in general, lose lots of money. It's more of a vanity thing than a profit thing to have a good football team. Something to keep the alumni interested and to sell licensed merchandise.

OSU gave Travis Ford a 10-year contract that averaged about $2 million per year, and that was before basketball attendance tanked. Tune in to your regional Fox Sports network to see exactly how much. It is no longer must-see Stillwater entertainment. There are thousands of empty bright orange (America's Brightest Orange!) seats in GIA.

Rassling, along with other OSU sports, has never been and never will be, money making sports, even if they get them some national championships to add to their grand total of 50 or so.

MONEY. It's a big effing deal when you're not profitable and subsidizing academics like OU football.

We're not subsidizing academics at OSU though. In fact, we are bringing in more research dollars and building a lot of new academic buildings across campus. OSU even has more students than OU, which was never done until the last 4 years.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/03/20/whos-making-money-in-big-12-football/

We actually make money in football. This is from the 2010-2011 fiscal year, but the years before and now have shown steady growth, so I don't know where you get that we're in the red in our sports.

CowboyMRW
12/4/2012, 02:09 PM
The more I read the more I become convinced he's not leaving. I thought for awhile that he was going to be gone, but now I don't think he is.

8timechamps
12/4/2012, 02:11 PM
The more I read the more I become convinced he's not leaving. I thought for awhile that he was going to be gone, but now I don't think he is.

I just can't imagine him leaving. BUT, he is a competitive guy, and sometimes that gets in the way. In the end, I still think he'll be in Stillwater.

badger
12/4/2012, 02:14 PM
We're not subsidizing academics at OSU though. In fact, we are bringing in more research dollars and building a lot of new academic buildings across campus. OSU even has more students than OU, which was never done until the last 4 years.

Correct - WE are subsidizing our academics, not you. :)

Yeah, there's waaaaay too much talk of him leaving now for him to actually be going. Lots of AMERICA'S BRIGHTEST ORANGE herrings, if you ask me... but you're not, so please continue enjoying your meltdown over on OP... if they haven't banned you yet.

Wishboned
12/4/2012, 02:14 PM
If he leaves Badger is going to have some great material for the meltdown thread. The rumor meltdown thread is a pretty good read as it is.

CowboyMRW
12/4/2012, 02:15 PM
Know the participants & the process (long read) Reply

Although I have a lot of things to say about the Gundy/Holder/job search situation, for the time being, I am going to mostly sit on my personal thoughts and feelings. I do think it is really important for OSU fans to become acquainted with how contracts, job searches, etc. are handled with high profile sports agents. If you are a fan of the Cowboys or even the OKC Thunder, this is new territory for you given the way business has always been handled in this part of the country. Deals are normally done quietly and then announced. Things were never played out in public or in the media. Negotiations were mostly direct and somewhat simple.

Please understand that Gundy signed with Jimmy Sexton. He is among the very best sports agents in the country and arguably one of the top 10-20 most influential people in football. His contacts throughout the south are amazing, and if you want to coach in the south, you better be represented by him.

Around here people are familiar with the headhunting reputation of Chuck Neinas, well consider Sexton as a guy who is his modern day equal in terms of connections. His client list is long and impressive. Forget the list of NFL players for a moment and just look at coaches:

Nick Saban (LSU), Steve Spurrier (South Carolina), Jimbo Fisher (Florida State), Houston Nutt, Gene Chizik, Lane Kiffin (USC), Tommy Tubberville (Texas Tech), Will Muschamp (Florida), Mike Gundy (OSU), Jim Mora (UCLA), David Cutliff, Bo Pelini (Nebraska), Frank Beamer (Virginia Tech), Kevin Sumlin (Texas A&M), Butch Davis, Rex Ryan, Bill Parcells, Mike MacIntyre, Gus Malzahn, Doug Marrone,

Doubt his influence?

Example 1: Although he deals almost exclusively with NFL players and college head coaches, he signed both of FSU's coordinators in the last two years of Bowden's career and saw one of them get the job as the timeline for Bowden's departure was expedited. If you go back and look, Bowden's exit was sped up as Sexton promoted the coordinators for other head jobs and kept coming back to FSU saying that the rather work at FSU and if FSU wanted Fisher, they would have to make a designation now, because his clients were greatly valued now. It happened and Bowden was forced out earlier than he had planned and Jimbo Fisher got the job! It's hard to think about people behind the scenes being more influential than Bobby Bowden, but in this case it's true. <NOTE: Jimbo Fisher, Charlie Strong, and Mike Gundy are all clients of Sexton and are supposedly the top 3 candidates for UT right now.>

Example 2: Do you remember the debacle a few years ago while Tommy Tubberville was head coach at Auburn and some booster flew a plane to Louisville to talk to Petrino about taking the Auburn job even though Tubberville was still on the job? Well, not only did Tubberville get a raise out of that situation, but he got a clause put into Tubberville's contract concerning non-interference to prevent that from ever happening again. Well guess what, a different set of boosters made overtures a year later to Houston Nutt (another Sexton client) to gauge potential interest at Auburn. When he declined interest and notified his agent, Sexton got word back to Tubberville. Two days later, Tubberville promptly turned in his resignation and demanded his money for breach of contract. Amazingly, Auburn excepted his resignation, paid out the remaining contract value without stipulation that the money be offset by any future salary from employment. The story didn't make it to the media at the time and Auburn quickly and surprisingly hired Gene Chizic who is another Sexton client. Oh surprise! (Do you think there might have been some leverage used to swing that deal?!)

Example 3: He has Tennessee on lock down. Fulmer, Cutcliff, Kiffin, Dooley, and whomever they now hire will be Sexton clients.

Example 4: How long did it take Houston Nutt to resurface with a head coaching job after being dismissed at Arkansas? Less than 4 hours to be hire at Ole Miss which has been a parade of Sexton clients at the helm. Better yet, do you remember the story of the plane waiting on the tarmac in Fayetteville to take Nutt to Nebraska that didn't exist? Not only does Sexton get things done for his clients, he knows how to stir the pot and create impressions/pressure with the media. Message Board forums and social media only amplify the success of these type of things.

Example 5: After he signed Muschamp, he helped negotiate the head coach in waiting status with the understanding that the wait would be 1-2 years. When it became clear that Mack Brown was not going to step down within that time frame, Sexton got his client the head job at Florida.

Now that you have some backdrop to understand his influence, consider this, the AGENT ONLY GETS PAID when he gets something done: signing a contract, renegotiating a deal, securing contracts for assistants, getting powers/priviliges, facilities, etc. Since Sexton represents all of these guys across the south, he basically sets market value and expectations. He knows exactly what guys at A&M, Tennessee, Arkansas, etc. are working with, because he wrote the deals. There is a reason that certain schools pop up on the radar of Sexton clients and why certain 'top candidates' appear on talked about searches. Right now, all three of the top candidates 'rumored' for the Tennessee gig are Sexton clients. Fan bases at Louisville, Florida State, and Oklahoma State don't want to lose their coaches and are being pressured to act to not lose their coaches. Agent wins big in this scenario with all three candidates even if only one gets the job.

This happened last year when the A&M job opened up. Top candidates at A&M were Kevin Sumlin (Houston) and Charlie Strong (Louisville), both minorities and both Sexton clients. Mike gundy was in the midst of contract negotiations, so guess what happened when the numbers weren't high enough for Sexton's expectations? He floated Gundy's name in the search. It had the effect of raising the dollar amount of Gundy's package as well as the baseline offer made to either Strong or Sumlin. It turned out to be Sumlin. Sexton made out huge!

Let's look at the current rumor mill involving the candidates at Tennessee represented by Sexton:

1) JimBo Fisher--he is only under contract for 2.75 million per year. Florida State is back in the BCS and there is room to grow that salary, so floating his name to an SEC school (remember SEC salaries are the highest on average nationally) only helps create leverage. The fact that multiple SEC jobs are open makes this better. Chances are that Fisher stays at FSU and gets a bump in salary, but he broke the Sexton script and actually forcefully denied interest in the job.

2) Mike Gundy--he is among the top 10 highest paid coaches in college football at 3.2 million per year. It would take at least 4 million or more per year to make the job offer worth his while, and it's doubtful that the SEC decision makers will go for a guy not from the south at that price if he hasn't already won big. Sexton didn't believe that Gundy got top dollar last year and the iron is hot now one year after a BCS win than ever to float his name. There are things other than money to be negotiated and getting Gundy involved in these other searches creates leverage for himself not only now, but in the future for him and his entire staff.

3) Charlie Strong--he would be the Sexton client most interested in making the move, jumping from Louisville to the Tennessee. Not only would it be a step up in job, but the pay could almost double. That said, Louisville's recent admission to the ACC could change things and free up resources to renegotiate should he elect to stay.

4) David Cutcliffe--The mere mentioning of his name (another Sexton client) got Duke to hurry up and put together a contract extension offer this past week to go through 2018.

LOOK, I am not telling you what to think or believe, but you need to understand that the main player in this drama doesn't live in Stillwater. He lives in Memphis. He is very smart and shrewd. He is the best in the business and serves his clients well.

There is no doubt that the apparent lack of loyalty observed by message board folks and die hard fans may hang around a while, but for the most part, the OSU fan base will not react or take final judgment until the situation resolves. My guess is that if Gundy remains, Sexton will create a path where he both benefits and looks good.

Taken from a very knowledgeable guy

badger
12/4/2012, 02:15 PM
If he leaves Badger is going to have some great material for the meltdown thread. The rumor meltdown thread is a pretty good read as it is.

it's a labor of love. i'd really prefer to do less but more people are taking their fan angst out on the internet than ever before. i'd much prefer to just be the womens basketball blogger again... but then the internet had to just go and be funny, didn't it?

Wishboned
12/4/2012, 02:16 PM
it's a labor of love. i'd really prefer to do less but more people are taking their fan angst out on the internet than ever before. i'd much prefer to just be the womens basketball blogger again... but then the internet had to just go and be funny, didn't it?

The internets are a wonderful and scary place.

Breadburner
12/4/2012, 02:18 PM
Gundy is not a real good coach....Anyone that hires him is making a mistake....

CowboyMRW
12/4/2012, 02:18 PM
Correct - WE are subsidizing our academics, not you. :)

Yeah, there's waaaaay too much talk of him leaving now for him to actually be going. Lots of AMERICA'S BRIGHTEST ORANGE herrings, if you ask me... but you're not, so please continue enjoying your meltdown over on OP... if they haven't banned you yet.

I know that none of yall are on the A/V over there, so you can't see the rational posters thoughts, but the zoo is retarded. I don't read much of what's said on the main board anymore.

CowboyMRW
12/4/2012, 02:21 PM

I know that everyone hates OSU here, but you can't be serious can you?

Until this year, he had improved his W/L record every single year for 5 straight years. He's made very good staff hires, especially on the offensive side of the ball. The recruits that we are pulling in now, could've only been dreamed about before Gundy.

8timechamps
12/4/2012, 02:26 PM

I couldn't disagree more. If Gundy isn't a real good coach, then what does a coach have to do to be considered good?

OSU hasn't exactly been a football factory, but since Gundy's arrival, they have become a good team. We can hate them as much as we want, but facts are facts.

badger
12/4/2012, 02:45 PM
The recruits that we are pulling in now, could've only been dreamed about before Gundy.

So who is he pulling in that's better than Barry Sanders

picasso
12/4/2012, 02:54 PM
wow, I wouldn't think Gundy would leave his alma mater. Thought he had a good gig.

"Oklahoma State is the best college football job in Stillwater."
-Barrah Switzer

birddog
12/4/2012, 03:05 PM
Brett bieliema officially

Breadburner
12/4/2012, 03:06 PM
Has nothing to do with hating OSU...I just dont think Gundy is that great of a coach...He's ok but not great...His record speaks for itself.....Which is not overly impressive.....Hes the Mack brown of the south....

8timechamps
12/4/2012, 03:08 PM
Has nothing to do with hating OSU...I just dont think Gundy is that great of a coach...He's ok but not great...His record speaks for itself.....Which is not overly impressive.....Hes the Mack brown of the south....

Isn't Mack Brown the Mack Brown of the south? Seriously though, with the talent Mack gets, there's absolutely no excuse for his failure.

birddog
12/4/2012, 03:11 PM

Also he's a meathead. They shoulda gotten northwesterns coach pat fitzy. Classy guy. Prolly too good to be a hawg. Bieliema actually is perfect. Good luck with that, arky

tycat947
12/4/2012, 03:16 PM
T Booger Pickens is RUNNING Oklahoma State University, not the football program, not the athletic program, but the WHOLE university! He is calling all the shots AND also investing their money personally. AND osu IS a state university that receives our tax money! They will make a movie of this scam one day, rest assured! He's scammed everywhere he's been. Holder is a puppet, pure and simple. Booger demanded his own AD in order that he donate his cash wad. He chose the President. He invested the money he gave and they immediately turned around and gave millions back to him to invest. His poor decisions led to them losing almost all he had donated and invested. He then had to make another emergency donation in order to allow the stadium to be finished. This whole scenario is comical AND sad of epic proportions!

Mike and Booger!

http://www.madameandme.com/wayland/wayland.jpg

HToady
12/4/2012, 03:16 PM

I get it. No wardrobe change required.

badger
12/4/2012, 03:19 PM
I get it. No wardrobe change required.

Or he doesn't want to be known as the coach that led Wisconsin to THREE STRAIGHT ROSE BOWL LOSSES.
2011: TCU
2012: Oregon
2013: Stanford (oh you KNOW that Wisky is gonna get their arse kicked, don't bother with 'the game hasn't been played yet!' talk)

Seamus
12/4/2012, 04:02 PM
T Booger Pickens is RUNNING Oklahoma State University, not the football program, not the athletic program, but the WHOLE university! He is calling all the shots AND also investing their money personally. AND osu IS a state university that receives our tax money! They will make a movie of this scam one day, rest assured! He's scammed everywhere he's been. Holder is a puppet, pure and simple. Booger demanded his own AD in order that he donate his cash wad. He chose the President. He invested the money he gave and they immediately turned around and gave millions back to him to invest. His poor decisions led to them losing almost all he had donated and invested. He then had to make another emergency donation in order to allow the stadium to be finished. This whole scenario is comical AND sad of epic proportions!

Mike and Booger!

If you add a few more exclamation points, I will then know that this post is important and that I should pay attention.

SoonerNomad
12/4/2012, 04:04 PM
Here is a link to a story saying it is Beliema going to Pig Sooey. Will he be able to recruit 400 pound offensive linemen down there?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/12/04/bret-bielema-arkansas-wisconsin.ap/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a2&eref=sihp

jkjsooner
12/4/2012, 04:11 PM
Man, I feel for Wisconsin. They're too good of a program to lose a coach to Arkansas.

StoopTroup
12/4/2012, 04:13 PM
Gundy wanted the Razorbacks to change to orange.

SoonerNomad
12/4/2012, 05:55 PM
Gundy wanted the Razorbacks to change to orange.

And not to schedule Mississippi State.

Sabanball
12/4/2012, 06:19 PM
Charlie Strong will be the next coach at Tennessee, not Mike Gundy.

nutinbutdust
12/4/2012, 06:27 PM
CBS Minneapolis reporting Beliema to Arkie, but no one in this town pays attention to college football news, not sure they know what they are talking about.

Sabanball
12/4/2012, 06:38 PM
Bielema to Arkansas is a done deal.

BoulderSooner79
12/4/2012, 07:19 PM
Bielema to Arkansas is a done deal.

7-5 team to the Rose bowl with a lame duck (or absent?) head coach. I feel so bad for them.

picasso
12/4/2012, 07:26 PM
I feel bad for the Rose Bowl. Getting a 7-5 team.

FirstandGoal
12/4/2012, 08:28 PM
I feel bad for the Rose Bowl. Getting a 7-5 team.

Not me!

**** the Rose Bowl and **** the BCS. I'm still pissed about the year we went there and they acted like their **** didn't stink and that we were mucking the place up by OUr very presence.

StoopTroup
12/4/2012, 08:31 PM
CBS Minneapolis reporting Beliema to Arkie, but no one in this town pays attention to college football news, not sure they know what they are talking about.
Which Town? Gayetteville? :D

StoopTroup
12/4/2012, 08:33 PM
Not me!

**** the Rose Bowl and **** the BCS. I'm still pissed about the year we went there and they acted like their **** didn't stink and that we were mucking the place up by OUr very presence.

You just need to go visit the Switzer Center and view the Trophy. It all feels better after seeing it. Also maybe rewatch the Game and review Mike Prices career after losing to us. :D

Boomer.....
12/5/2012, 10:27 AM
Gumby has now been offered the Tennessee job. I don't think he takes it, but he is making OSU look bad.

Wishboned
12/5/2012, 10:29 AM
Gumby has now been offered the Tennessee job. I don't think he takes it, but he is making OSU look bad.

Stoops never waits this long to let everyone know he's not interested. Even when Florida first came calling back in 2001/2002 he put an end to the speculation very quickly.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/bruce-feldman/21275668/vols-offer-gundy-head-coaching-job

Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy has been offered the Tennessee head coaching job, a source told CBSSports.com Wednesday morning.

The 45-year-old former standout OSU quarterback led the Cowboys to a school-record 12 wins and its first BCS bowl appearance last season, and finished No. 3 in the nation. This fall, despite having had to play three QBs because of injuries, the Cowboys finished the regular season 7-5. He is 66-35 in eight seasons at his alma mater.

The coach's name has come up quite a bit this month for top coaching vacancies. Friction between Gundy and OSU AD Mike Holden has added to the intrigue.

Tennessee is replacing Derek Dooley who was fired last month after going 4-7 and having gone 1-14 in SEC play the past two seasons. Sources say UT hopes to have its new coach on board by the end of this week.

badger
12/5/2012, 10:39 AM
once again, the title should say "tennessee," not arky. [hairGel]

Gundy's agent better watch himself... Boone and Holder aren't ones to be played hardball with.

Boone and Holder better watch themselves too. It will infuriate the Pokes to see one of their own walk out for America's Lightest Orange :stunned:

KantoSooner
12/5/2012, 10:44 AM
Holder is not the one Gumby and his agent need to keep in view. Mr. Pickens has the ability and the personality to chase an enemy across the globe and finally ruin him someplace quiet, far from home.

PrideMom
12/5/2012, 10:45 AM
Why leave? He is the Big Fish in a little pond...but IF Tennessee wanted him, he would be a fool not to go, that is IF Gundy wants to do bigger and better things.

Wishboned
once again, the title should say "tennessee," not arky. [hairGel]

Gundy's agent better watch himself... Boone and Holder aren't ones to be played hardball with.

Boone and Holder better watch themselves too. It will infuriate the Pokes to see one of their own walk out for America's Lightest Orange :stunned:

Boone seems like he is one major grudge holding son of a bitch. He will never forgive Gundy for this.

sooneron
Gumby was a "standout" quarterback? LOLZ

SoonerMom2
12/5/2012, 10:46 AM
At least TN is orange so he can take the strange uniform combinations with him to Knoxville!

sooneron
12/5/2012, 10:53 AM
Their orange is a different shade of putrid orange, tho!

SoonerMarkVA
12/5/2012, 10:59 AM
Why leave? He is the Big Fish in a little pond...but IF Tennessee wanted him, he would be a fool not to go, that is IF Gundy wants to do bigger and better things.

I agree with this. UT is a great job, and in the right hands could be an elite job. No matter how much Gundy loves OSU, they're treating him like a red-headed step child.

I'll say this: if Gundy turns this job down (assuming he really has the offer), then he will never leave Stillwater. He will be bending over for Boone until the day the old bastage finally drops dead.

badger
12/5/2012, 11:06 AM
OK, any goodwill and effort to make Pokes feel good about themselves is on hold in this post:

The amount of arrogance emitting from Stillwater is astounding.

Gundy, you are NOT the following:
- A coach who can regularly convince 5-star recruits to come to your program
- A coach who regularly has his team in the conference title talk in preseason
- A coach who can realistically demand annual BCS bowl appearances
- A coach who can lead his team to annual wins over either big name conference opponents or rivals
- A coach that can be relied on to have a good relationship with the local and national media
- A coach that can be counted on to make sound decisions during big game moments
- A coach that has accomplished so much that any program in the country would welcome him to their program with open arms during a coaching vacancy

NOT Gundy. NOT even close.

And now, Holder and Boone. This is what OSU football is NOT:
- A national brand with a national following.
- Must-see TV, regardless of who the opponent is and when (time, day and month) the game is scheduled
- A powerhouse by ANY stretch of the imagination
- An annual stop for every NFL team's scouts on your pro day
- A national coach/individual award generator (seriously, go look at their list of national award winners)
- A program that can get into the preseason top 25 on reputation alone
- A team with a fanbase that can be counted on to sell your bowl ticket allotment, regardless of the bowl

Go ahead and try to kick the other side to the curb. You need each other to be successful and without the other, expect to be a Big 12 doormat again. Hell, if the Big 12 doesn't survives, would you be considered for an AQ conference without tagging along with OU? Keep in mind that the Big East doesn't count.

OKLAST. It fits you well. Deflate your enormous ego head and come back to Earth. You just lost to ****ing Baylor, after all.

Wishboned
12/5/2012, 11:06 AM
Robert Allen is saying Gundy turned the job down.

badger
12/5/2012, 11:31 AM
Robert Allen is saying Gundy turned the job down.

What uncharacteristic smarts this MAN showed today :P

Seriously... if a place starts getting a reputation that you get three years (or two, or even one) of losing and you're out, that's only a place to milk the program for millions before getting bought out, not a place to build a coaching resume.

winout
12/5/2012, 11:42 AM
Gundy may have his Yankee job. Unfortunately for OSU, Boone may be their Steinbrenner.

sooneron
12/5/2012, 11:49 AM
What uncharacteristic smarts this MAN showed today :P

Seriously... if a place starts getting a reputation that you get three years (or two, or even one) of losing and you're out, that's only a place to milk the program for millions before getting bought out, not a place to build a coaching resume.

If you're referring to UT, we don't really know that at this point. They just fired their first coach since Fulmer left. Kiffin bailed on them, don't forget. Winning 8-9 games in the sec is not that tall of a task. The conference is top heavy along with a few jump up and bite yas...
Dooley was not a good hire, imo.

CowboyMRW
12/5/2012, 11:58 AM
If you're referring to UT, we don't really know that at this point. They just fired their first coach since Fulmer left. Kiffin bailed on them, don't forget. Winning 8-9 games in the sec is not that tall of a task. The conference is top heavy along with a few jump up and bite yas...

I think Dooley wasn't given enough time. They guy has brought in some talent to Knoxville. Kiffin really screwed the university. Whoever takes over, Dooley has done the legwork for them with his recruiting.

CowboyMRW
12/5/2012, 12:18 PM
Also, Right now, they are selling season ticket packages for $300 with no donation. They are in a world of hurt at the moment.
Not that they cannot climb back out of the hole that they have dug for themselves.

nutinbutdust
12/5/2012, 01:01 PM
If you're referring to UT, don't forget. Winning 8-9 games in the sec is not that tall of a task. The conference is top heavy along with a few jump up and bite yas...
THIS ^^^^^^

Sorry i paraphrased your quote, but i wanted to emphasize, that when you schedule 4 out of conference games with teams from the almighty Southern Conference or the MAC, you get 8 or 9 wins. Hell you only have to win 2 conf games to be bowl eligible.

badger
12/5/2012, 01:30 PM
I think Dooley wasn't given enough time. They guy has brought in some talent to Knoxville. Kiffin really screwed the university. Whoever takes over, Dooley has done the legwork for them with his recruiting.

I see that you didn't disagree with anything in my anti-Gundy, anti-OSU rant post :D

cleller
12/5/2012, 01:31 PM
I could see Arky offering to Gundy, but not as sure about Tenn. Arky is close by, and really on their heels. I think Tenn still thinks of themselves as The Big Time, when they no longer are. They may want to hold out for someone considered The Next Big Thing. Whoever that is now.

badger
12/5/2012, 01:41 PM
I could see Arky offering to Gundy, but not as sure about Tenn. Arky is close by, and really on their heels. I think Tenn still thinks of themselves as The Big Time, when they no longer are. They may want to hold out for someone considered The Next Big Thing. Whoever that is now.

So you're expecting Bret to have an offseason motorcycle-mistress incident resulting in immediate contract termination as well, eh?

CowboyMRW
12/5/2012, 01:53 PM
I see that you didn't disagree with anything in my anti-Gundy, anti-OSU rant post :D

Meh, there was some stuff that was right and some that was wrong. Didn't really warrant anything from me as I wouldn't be able to change anyone's mind here.

badger
12/5/2012, 01:58 PM
Meh, there was some stuff that was right and some that was wrong. Didn't really warrant anything from me as I wouldn't be able to change anyone's mind here.

I admit that I may have let my Gooner fandom influence my rant :D

BUT... I stand by the fact that Gundy and OSU need each other. Gundy won't have as much success as he had in Pokeville elsewhere, nor will OSU find a coach like Gundy who will stay in Pokeville after any success.

MichiganSooner
12/5/2012, 02:18 PM
Also, Right now, they are selling season ticket packages for $300 with no donation. They are in a world of hurt at the moment.
Not that they cannot climb back out of the hole that they have dug for themselves.

Cowboy, they have 104,000 tickets to sell, not 55,000!!! They jam as many as 109,000 in their stadium. OSU tickets are outrageously priced; the reason your stadium has never seen a sell-out for a single game.

badger
12/5/2012, 02:29 PM
It's time for FACT CHECK WITH BADGER!*

*in an effort to be fair to the poor losers of this year's OU-oklast game.

Cowboy, they have 104,000 tickets to sell, not 55,000!!!
MEH: 102,455 is Rocky Top's capacity, whereas OSU's is more than 60K now.

They jam as many as 109,000 in their stadium.
TRUE: Record at other-UT was 109,061 back in 2004 for UF-Tenn.

OSU tickets are outrageously priced;
TRUE: Especially if you were a Sooner fan looking to attend last year's Stilly game ($125 per seat, the most expensive single-game ticket in America that season!).

the reason your stadium has never seen a sell-out for a single game.

False: They have not sold out a game in the current stadium configuration, but did as Lewis Field. For example, they had 51,458 attend 1979's OU-osu game, when capacity was less than 51k.

But... meh.

OULenexaman
12/5/2012, 02:42 PM
So you're expecting Bret to have an offseason motorcycle-mistress incident resulting in immediate contract termination as well, eh? Or going to strip clubs in Pensacola FL after a golf tourney.....using that Arky credit card for whatever floats your boat along with the ladies of the night...[Mike Price/Bama]

MichiganSooner
12/5/2012, 02:42 PM
To correct one fact check correction-the stadium holds 60,000; I used 55,000 as the figure because 5,000 are allowed for the visitors. They routinely pull in 104,000 at Tennessee; sort of like OU pulls in close to 86,000 but the official stadium size is a few thousand under that.

badger
12/5/2012, 02:44 PM
To correct one fact check correction-the stadium holds 60,000; I used 55,000 as the figure because 5,000 are allowed for the visitors. They routinely pull in 104,000 at Tennessee; sort of like OU pulls in close to 86,000 but the official stadium size is a few thousand under that.

It might be time to join the 100K stadium capacity club soon... but then again, Lindsey traffic is a nightmare even when football isn't in session