PDA

View Full Version : took a lot of guts

JLEW1818
12/3/2012, 11:53 PM
To win the last 5 games. Proud of this team. Been real hard on them.

Sure we wanted to win them all. We lost two games to fantastic teams.

Would be funny to beat aggie. Hope we can pull it off.

Worried about 2013. When Landry was on, he could spread the ball all over the field. If we choose Bell as the guy, we will need to adjust the offense schemes. Otherwise Allen could be the guy.

Boomer

rock on sooner
12/4/2012, 11:43 AM
Obviously, Bell brings a different skill set to the position but, we really
haven't seen him extensively in the system. Spring ball and fall two a
days with Josh full time will bring, I predict, a QB closer to LJ than a
Collin Klein..a one read then take off running. Bell may become a
two read progression THEN run. If that's the case then our running
back sets will have more two back sets than we're used to. Woluldn't
surprise me to see Millard in the tailback slot with Ripkowski as his
blocker...that set could easily be Belldozer 2.0.....

KantoSooner
12/4/2012, 11:48 AM
I can see a valid wildcat type thing in which you have Bell and Kendall Thompson, for example, in the backfield with a FB or HB. Either one who gets the snap can throw, either one can run. And Bell, for one, can block.
Not what you'd want to see as a LB.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/4/2012, 11:51 AM
QB is the least of my concerns given OU's history of QBs during the Bob Stoops era. We need to remember that in the 2005 season, PT/Bomar were inexperienced QBs throwing behind an inexperienced and injury plagued offensive line throwing to an inexperienced receiving corps. OU had the exact same problem in the 2009 season when Landry took over.

Next season, Blake Bell has at least got some of the nervousness out of the way in being in big time games going against first string defenses, not to mention he will be working with an offensive line that returns more than five starters in a manner of speaking and a great receiving corps. He also has some help in the backfield with Williams, Clay and soon to be, Ross.

Blake is a threat to run and with that, it's really going to open up the running game and passing game next season. DBs will be a little apprehensive about focusing so much on OU's receivers knowing that a 6'6" 250 pound QB may take off at any time if things break down or if it's a designed run play.

And OU's schedule sets up great next season in terms of what opposing teams lose in terms of personnel along with OU having well set bye weeks. The bye weeks were a bad thing this season. And it sure would of helped of the NCAA granted Saunders eligibility to play before the KSU instead of after. There is enough sufficient evidence of his ability that he could have made a difference in that 5 point game with his ability and experience.

rock on sooner
12/4/2012, 11:54 AM
I can see a valid wildcat type thing in which you have Bell and Kendall Thompson, for example, in the backfield with a FB or HB. Either one who gets the snap can throw, either one can run. And Bell, for one, can block.
Not what you'd want to see as a LB.

Kanto, not sure how much blocking you want your starting QB to do
but that'd be a terrific set to run two or three times a game...really
mess with the D's heads, especially front seven...

stoops the eternal pimp
12/4/2012, 12:02 PM
every day, i believe a little more that Blake Bell will not be starting QB next year.

rainiersooner
12/4/2012, 12:03 PM
every day, i believe a little more that Blake Bell will not be starting QB next year.

Why? Not snark, genuinely interested in why you say that

rock on sooner
12/4/2012, 12:03 PM
STEP, who ya thinkin?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/4/2012, 12:16 PM
Obviously, I reserve the right to be wrong :)

I know Bob has never given the back up much time, but they have given him very little opportunity to run the regular offense..it also appears they have spent very little time working his mechanics or his ability to play quarterback, because he has been on campus 3 years now and still has the mechanics of a high school kid who could get away with it because he is the best athlete on the field.

Everything I hear, not media or social network wise but just friends that used to play that hang around, is that Kendall Thompson and Trevor Knight are both looking really good and are the guys the coaches rave over...I just get the feeling it will be one of those guys and Bell will just go on being the belldozer..

rock on sooner
12/4/2012, 12:19 PM
Don't know much about Knight...what's his background? Thompson is
a real dual threat QB...ya think Stoops would shift that much? We all
know that he uses system to fit players' strengths...

yermom
12/4/2012, 12:26 PM

I know Bob has never given the back up much time, but they have given him very little opportunity to run the regular offense..it also appears they have spent very little time working his mechanics or his ability to play quarterback, because he has been on campus 3 years now and still has the mechanics of a high school kid who could get away with it because he is the best athlete on the field.

Everything I hear, not media or social network wise but just friends that used to play that hang around, is that Kendall Thompson and Trevor Knight are both looking really good and are the guys the coaches rave over...I just get the feeling it will be one of those guys and Bell will just go on being the belldozer..

we just don't use the backup QB much under Stoops. i'm thinking the opposite since they named him the backup this season. i'm pretty sure he was 3rd string last year.

ENA was a backup to White in 2003 (RS in 2004) and got the start initially in 2005 and Hybl got the nod over White seemingly due to more playing time in 2001 after backing up Heupel in some mop-up games.

i'd be pretty surprised to not see Bell playing QB next year, and in a very pass-first manner.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/4/2012, 12:29 PM
Don't know much about Knight...what's his background? Thompson is
a real dual threat QB...ya think Stoops would shift that much? We all
know that he uses system to fit players' strengths...

Recruiting guys will have to help me out, but he switched from aTm to us in the process..Top 5 dual QB ..threw for a couple of thousand and ran for a thousand his senior year..

Anyway, Him and Thompson are pretty similar QBs..

rock on sooner
12/4/2012, 12:31 PM
Recruiting guys will have to help me out, but he switched from aTm to us in the process..Top 5 dual QB ..threw for a couple of thousand and ran for a thousand his senior year..

Anyway, Him and Thompson are pretty similar QBs..

Well, seems like dual threats do us a lot of harm so maybe Bob will
fight fire with fire....

yermom
12/4/2012, 12:44 PM
i think even Chuck Long was wanting a mobile QB to run his offense back in the day

the first description i ever read of the spread involved using the QB as a runner to get an extra blocker, so i'm really not that sure why we haven't moved more in that direction... Bomar and Thompson were supposed to be mobile, but neither really ran much. seemed White slowed down a lot of that idea both by getting hurt and throwing for a million yards and TDs without any mobility in 2003

stoops the eternal pimp
12/4/2012, 12:47 PM
we just don't use the backup QB much under Stoops. i'm thinking the opposite since they named him the backup this season. i'm pretty sure he was 3rd string last year.

ENA was a backup to White in 2003 (RS in 2004) and got the start initially in 2005 and Hybl got the nod over White seemingly due to more playing time in 2001 after backing up Heupel in some mop-up games.

i'd be pretty surprised to not see Bell playing QB next year, and in a very pass-first manner.

Yeah, that's why I said I know we don't use the backups much. That isn't so much the reason I believe it, so i shouldn't have typed it..Thompson lasted a game or 2 in 2005, so i would say that was just being loyal to a guy who had been loyal to them. But didn't take long to go away from him.

Heck, they practiced Bell at TE some during the spring..That gives me doubts on how the coaches feel about him .They moved Thompson to WR a couple of games in and only moved him back when Bomar had car selling situations....As many times as they ran that formation with Bell and to only let him pass out of it a few times even when it wasn't working...that gives me doubts..

Right now, I still believe he probably is going to be starter...I would say 60/40...but if he isn't starter, it won't surprise me..I haven't seen enough of Blake Bell the quarterback to tell what he can do...I've just seen a lot of blake bell the fullback..

yermom
12/4/2012, 12:58 PM
i should say, at least officially at the beginning of the year i think he'll be the starter.

BoulderSooner79
12/4/2012, 12:59 PM
I'm just assuming there will be an open competition. As STEP pointed out, Bell ran the regular offense very seldomly - mostly during horn cleanup time. I wouldn't count the fact he was named official backup that he is the de facto starter next year.

nutinbutdust
12/4/2012, 01:11 PM
QB And it sure would of helped of the NCAA granted Saunders eligibility to play before the KSU instead of after. There is enough sufficient evidence of his ability that he could have made a difference in that 5 point game with his ability and experience.

It would also help if he could put down the bong until he graduates.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/4/2012, 01:18 PM
Since the passing game is in good hands under Landry (despite some of his weaknesses), there isn't a lot of reason to show everyone what Blake Bell can do this season and last season. Let teams find out what his strengths or weaknesses are next season as the full-time starter after they have already lost to Oklahoma. :)

Everyone has their opinions and mine is not only does Blake Bell become the full-time starter throughout next season, but he leads the Sooners to the BCS title game next season as well. OU's schedule sets up for it of course they will have the required loss to Notre Dame since that is a curse, but that won't hurt OU in the long run.

Blake Bell is going to be a game-changer. Bob Stoops will be ripping off more than just a short yardage package from KSU this past season for next season and OU's offense will make less game changing mistakes.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/4/2012, 01:19 PM
It would also help if he could put down the bong until he graduates.

Yes, there is that! :) Thank goodness for Shepard though!

OkieThunderLion
12/4/2012, 01:29 PM

If that's the case (Knight is who I think you are thinking), I'd move Bell to TE.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/4/2012, 01:33 PM
Knight's completion percentage at the prep level was less than stellar. Did anyone watch him play? I am curious to whether they were accuracy/decision issues or if he was throwing behind bad offensive lines that didn't give him a lot of time to throw or a throwing to a bad receiving corps or some combination of the above.

OkieThunderLion
12/4/2012, 01:47 PM
Knight's completion percentage at the prep level was less than stellar. Did anyone watch him play? I am curious to whether they were accuracy/decision issues or if he was throwing behind bad offensive lines that didn't give him a lot of time to throw or a throwing to a bad receiving corps or some combination of the above.
Sam Bradford says "Hello"!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/4/2012, 01:55 PM
i think even Chuck Long was wanting a mobile QB to run his offense back in the day

the first description i ever read of the spread involved using the QB as a runner to get an extra blocker, so i'm really not that sure why we haven't moved more in that direction... Bomar and Thompson were supposed to be mobile, but neither really ran much. seemed White slowed down a lot of that idea both by getting hurt and throwing for a million yards and TDs without any mobility in 2003

The problem is that our practice philosophy makes it much easier for us to cultivate a thrower than a dedicated runner. Running backs HAVE to get hit in order to keep the rust off. Every single running QB we've had (White, Thompson, Bradford) has slowly gotten worse as a runner and better as a passer over their years at OU.

8timechamps
12/4/2012, 02:19 PM
2013 is going to be ROUGH. Get ready.

The good news is that our schedule isn't overly daunting. WVU, Baylor & K-State will all be starting new QBs, and Notre Dame loses a big part of their defense (and offensive line).

Anyway, here's what I am worried about:

Defense
We lose our entire d-line (save Ndule), and at least one safety and one corner. 6 of the players that started on defense this year will graduate, and we could lose a couple more to the draft. There will be a lot of young/inexperienced players starting on the defense in 2013. It will be interesting.

Offense
We lose at least one of our consistent WRs (Brown), and maybe more, but we are so deep at WR I don't think we'll miss a beat. We'll return our RBs (minus Whaley), TEs (which should be improved) and all but one of our O-line. Of course the big question is QB.

From what I've heard, Trevor Knight could seriously contend for the starting job next year. He's run the scout team all year, and the starting defensive players have raved about how good he has become. Not only does the kid throw a very good ball, he's fast. Really fast. I am starting to believe Bell will play a similar role in 2013 that he played this year (back up/Belldozer).

Overall, I'm not too worried about the offense (other than the fact that we a losing Landry, and there will be growing pains). It's the defense that has me so concerned.

OkieThunderLion
12/4/2012, 02:37 PM
2013 is going to be ROUGH. Get ready.

So loaded offensively. I'd be shocked if the QB that emerges doesn't have a really good year.

Defensively, it comes down to the DT position. Can they replace those 3 guys?

My way too early guess is 10-2, 1st in Big 12.

OkieThunderLion
12/4/2012, 02:39 PM
The problem is that our practice philosophy makes it much easier for us to cultivate a thrower than a dedicated runner. Running backs HAVE to get hit in order to keep the rust off. Every single running QB we've had (White, Thompson, Bradford) has slowly gotten worse as a runner and better as a passer over their years at OU.

That is the natural progression of QB play.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/4/2012, 02:53 PM
Yeah, that's why I said I know we don't use the backups much. That isn't so much the reason I believe it, so i shouldn't have typed it..Thompson lasted a game or 2 in 2005, so i would say that was just being loyal to a guy who had been loyal to them. But didn't take long to go away from him.

Heck, they practiced Bell at TE some during the spring..That gives me doubts on how the coaches feel about him .They moved Thompson to WR a couple of games in and only moved him back when Bomar had car selling situations....As many times as they ran that formation with Bell and to only let him pass out of it a few times even when it wasn't working...that gives me doubts..

Right now, I still believe he probably is going to be starter...I would say 60/40...but if he isn't starter, it won't surprise me..I haven't seen enough of Blake Bell the quarterback to tell what he can do...I've just seen a lot of blake bell the fullback..

I think that you'll see Bell at the beginning. They may stick with him if our defense is better than it has been this year (doubtful). I just don't think he is going to be able to put enough points on the board to compensate for our defense. In the end, they are going to have a spectacular WR corps and our running backs are going to be average. They have to go with the QB that utilizes that strength the best, but given their previous stubbornness, I don't see that happening immediately.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/4/2012, 02:55 PM
That is the natural progression of QB play.

I don't seem to recall Eric Crouch making that progression. What I'm saying is that our practice habits tend to get QBs in the habit of avoiding contact.

picasso
12/4/2012, 03:02 PM
So loaded offensively. I'd be shocked if the QB that emerges doesn't have a really good year.

Agreed. We are going to be loaded at the skill position on offense.

8timechamps
12/4/2012, 03:12 PM

I hope you're right (about the record). We need to land a couple of the DTs we're after right now, as there are a couple (both HS and JuCo) that can contribute as freshmen.

OkieThunderLion
12/4/2012, 03:28 PM
I hope you're right (about the record). We need to land a couple of the DTs we're after right now, as there are a couple (both HS and JuCo) that can contribute as freshmen.

Disclaimer, I predict 10-2 every year! lol

thecrimsoncrusader
12/4/2012, 03:33 PM
The only person that will truly be missed on defense that is a senior is Demontre. But it helps that Mike Stoops is coaching the DBs again. OU losing all of their senior DTs is a positive. They were slow and not athletic at all and never got better from their first year to their last year. OU quite simply needs a fresh start at the DT spots to have any hope of improvement. Fortunately, they are getting that fresh start.

cherokeebrewer
12/4/2012, 03:34 PM
I think Blake Bell is a better passer than most give him credit for and he has a cannon for an arm...he hasn't been given the opportunity to show it yet...time will tell on this. What I like most about him right now is his confidence and the fire in his belly, without the false 'rah rah' stuff. I will be shocked if he is not the starter next year. We're sittin' pretty darn good with QB's waiting for their time to shine...a nice problem

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/4/2012, 03:59 PM
The only person that will truly be missed on defense that is a senior is Demontre. But it helps that Mike Stoops is coaching the DBs again. OU losing all of their senior DTs is a positive. They were slow and not athletic at all and never got better from their first year to their last year. OU quite simply needs a fresh start at the DT spots to have any hope of improvement. Fortunately, they are getting that fresh start.

I know this is your schtick, but really? Lines are MADE, not magically recruited. You are saying that our hope for next year along the DL is a bunch of guys who can't beat out the guys we have playing now. We are going to have 1 DT on campus who got any meaningful snaps out of a unit that is dead last in effectiveness in the Big 12. And yet somehow we are magically going to be better?

DT -> Worse (I'm talking pushed back 4-5 yards worse)
DE -> Better pass rush, worse run defense (like anyone is going to pass against us with how bad we are going to be against the run)
LB -> Exactly the same unless Shannon takes a quantum leap forward. With the line in front of him, he'd better have a butkus year in order for us to be good against the run
DB -> Should be better depending on early entrants. We can handle 1 guy leaving early, but not 2.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/4/2012, 04:06 PM
I know this is your schtick, but really? Lines are MADE, not magically recruited. You are saying that our hope for next year along the DL is a bunch of guys who can't beat out the guys we have playing now. We are going to have 1 DT on campus who got any meaningful snaps out of a unit that is dead last in effectiveness in the Big 12. And yet somehow we are magically going to be better?

DT -> Worse (I'm talking pushed back 4-5 yards worse)
DE -> Better pass rush, worse run defense (like anyone is going to pass against us with how bad we are going to be against the run)
LB -> Exactly the same unless Shannon takes a quantum leap forward. With the line in front of him, he'd better have a butkus year in order for us to be good against the run
DB -> Should be better depending on early entrants. We can handle 1 guy leaving early, but not 2.

They aren't allowed to beat them out because this coaching staff values experience of raw talent. That has almost always been the case barring the rarity that was Harris. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to clear see that Philips had more athletic talent than McFarland, McGee and Walker and thankfully, the coaching staff will be forced to use him at all times next season. The aforementioned senior DTs were all dead weight. The issues with the LBs are largely a product of McFarland, McGee and Walker being worthless. Those guys couldn't be any more slow as DTs and have zero technique outside of getting pushed backwards so the Sooner LBs end up getting plowed by guards.

I'm looking forward to next season. You are going to be so wrong regarding the Sooner DTs.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/4/2012, 04:15 PM
OU losing all of their senior DTs is a positive. They were slow and not athletic at all and never got better from their first year to their last year. OU quite simply needs a fresh start at the DT spots to have any hope of improvement. Fortunately, they are getting that fresh start.

Is this serious?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/4/2012, 04:26 PM
They aren't allowed to beat them out because this coaching staff values experience of raw talent. That has almost always been the case barring the rarity that was Harris.

Calling your BS. Name the DT who was drafted that sat behind a guy who wasn't drafted. It is going to be rather hard since the 3 who were drafted ALL started as freshmen. Source -> http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=O&collegeName=Oklahoma&abbrFlag=0&type=school

Shipp has his issues with evaluation, but he ALWAYS plays the best player. Whether that "best" player had any skill/technique is up for argument (see my last point).

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to clear see that Philips had more athletic talent than McFarland, McGee and Walker and thankfully, the coaching staff will be forced to use him at all times next season. The aforementioned senior DTs were all dead weight.

Yet, he is only averaging 1 tackle per game while the "dead weight" is averaging 2+. "Athletic Talent" is like beauty -> it is all in the eyes of the beerholder. In college, the best player is the one that gets the results. It is why we I hold that Tommie Harris wasn't as good of a college DT as Dvoracek. Harris had the flash, Dusty had the stats.

The issues with the LBs are largely a product of McFarland, McGee and Walker being worthless. Those guys couldn't be any more slow as DTs and have zero technique outside of getting pushed backwards so the Sooner LBs end up getting plowed by guards. I'm looking forward to next season. You are going to be so wrong regarding the Sooner DTs.

As someone who watches our Linebackers and DTs fairly closely, I'm at a loss for this. Our interior line and linebackers suffer from the same thing -> blocking themselves out of the play. The interior DL doesn't lose ground and they don't get pancaked, they just go where the blocker wants them to go. Heck if it was a strength/size issue (being pushed back 5 yards) then you'd have something. The truth is that they are recklessly aggressive and are blocked by scheme more than physical ability.

FaninAma
12/4/2012, 04:48 PM

Landry Jones' mechanics are horrible so i wouldn't read anything into that.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/4/2012, 04:49 PM
Landry Jones has great mechanics 98% of the time.

BoulderSooner79
I have to agree with jkm - those DTs that played this year were the best we had. We did rotate those younger guys in and none of them jumped out a future stars yet. Compare that to what Dan Noble did last year before he got hurt. Also, our 3 main guys were making more plays the last half of the season. If would have been nice if Walker didn't take several games to decide he wanted to play (or whatever was going on) and if McGee didn't get his azz suspended for half the season. It could have easily made the difference in the 2 games we lost.

We all wanted Mike back and next year will he must earn his keep. He tried to scheme around some weaknesses this year, but next year he will need to do more filling of those weaknesses. Hopefully it will come from current bench players waiting for their turn and we get a bit of luck from Jucos and incoming FR.

StoopTroup
I think STEP is onto what I have felt might happen after Landry's departure. We will see the best fight for Starting QB that we have seen since White and Hybl. I don't want to bash Blake or Allen but the younger QBs have to smell opportunity.

Its going to be very interesting come the Red n White Game.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/4/2012, 04:51 PM
One thing that benefits Knight or Thompson is having the opportunity to run scout team. A lot more reps on Scout than there is 2nd or 3rd team.

FaninAma
12/4/2012, 04:52 PM

During warmups? When he gets in the game he dances and throws off his back foot A LOT. He has a very strong arm so he can compensate for that but when his mechanics are really shakey his accuracy goes way down.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/4/2012, 04:54 PM
I just think Bell is as much of an unknown as the other guys...so unless OU is running it's plays out of that formation 80 times a game, I just don't see how it can be assumed the job is his...Now this staff has shown loyalty to players and he has been willing to stick around so that will merit something with them..

All I know is some kind of change is coming, because there is only 1 classic pocket passer out of this group and that is Allen.

StoopTroup
12/4/2012, 04:55 PM
Yup

stoops the eternal pimp
12/4/2012, 04:56 PM
During warmups? When he gets in the game he dances and throws off his back foot A LOT. He has a very strong arm so he can compensate for that but when his mechanics are really shakey his accuracy goes way down.

A lot? I've just went through 600 snaps of offense from him this weekend, and it happened some..back foot, happy feet under pressure..

But not very much. When a guy throws a football 70 times in a game and he throws off his backfoot twice, that's not bad.

StoopTroup
12/4/2012, 04:58 PM
FIRE LANDRY JONES!

rock on sooner
12/4/2012, 05:15 PM
A lot? I've just went through 600 snaps of offense from him this weekend, and it happened some..back foot, happy feet under pressure..

But not very much. When a guy throws a football 70 times in a game and he throws off his backfoot twice, that's not bad.

STEP, I don't have the luxury of going thru 600 offensive snaps but I
do have a pretty good memory of back foot throws. LJ got happy feet
when his protection broke down or was overrun by a superior D-line.
When he is able to step into his throws, he is very accurate, not quite
Bradford accurate but many of incompletions happened because his
receivers' dropped his bullets. I agree with your assessment of LJ. I
think he'll get drafted by a team that has time to develop him in the
pro sets. My hope is Denver drafts him so he can learn from Manning.
I just don't want him to be in the same situation as Bradford. If Sam
had an O-line and more than one wideout to throw to....

BoulderSooner79
12/4/2012, 05:21 PM
STEP, I don't have the luxury of going thru 600 offensive snaps but I
do have a pretty good memory of back foot throws. LJ got happy feet
when his protection broke down or was overrun by a superior D-line.
When he is able to step into his throws, he is very accurate, not quite
Bradford accurate but many of incompletions happened because his
receivers' dropped his bullets. I agree with your assessment of LJ. I
think he'll get drafted by a team that has time to develop him in the
pro sets. My hope is Denver drafts him so he can learn from Manning.
I just don't want him to be in the same situation as Bradford. If Sam
had an O-line and more than one wideout to throw to....

If you watched carefully this year, LJ did a lot of sliding in the pocket
to avoid pressure and buy time to set his feet. A marked improvement
over last year and exactly what the pros are looking for. He still lacks
that sense of how to actually escape the pocket and buy time, but there
are some pretty good pros out there that rarely do that.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/4/2012, 05:26 PM
Of course we remember back foot throws, we remember happy feet...Those are the throws that stand out....We remember TD passes somewhat..

Honestly, it didn't happen much, because he wasn't pressured much..

rock on sooner
12/4/2012, 05:33 PM
If you watched carefully this year, LJ did a lot of sliding in the pocket
to avoid pressure and buy time to set his feet. A marked improvement
over last year and exactly what the pros are looking for. He still lacks
that sense of how to actually escape the pocket and buy time, but there
are some pretty good pros out there that rarely do that.

Early on, you could see the benefits of having worked with the guy in
Cali. There were a number of times he got outside and threw on the
run, all a result of that time with the QB guru..he rarely did that before.

rock on sooner
12/4/2012, 05:38 PM
Of course we remember back foot throws, we remember happy feet...Those are the throws that stand out....We remember TD passes somewhat..

Honestly, it didn't happen much, because he wasn't pressured much..

I didn't mean to point out the back foot throws in any manner
other than there weren't many. I think LJ has made great strides
in his overall performance this year versus last year. After all, this
young man has nearly 17000 yards and 122 TD's!

goingoneight
12/4/2012, 05:46 PM
Take this FWIW, but I heard Bell was moved from "maybe the backup" to "definitely Landry's backup" after some transfer rumors started flying.

StoopTroup
12/4/2012, 05:51 PM
Right now, Blake is listed as our backup. When LJ has had to come out for a play...it's been Blake Bell who lined up on his place.

That said...Bob and Josh will start the best QB we have next year. Being this years backup definitely gives Blake the edge but IMO it doesn't lock it up.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/4/2012, 06:29 PM
Right now, Blake is listed as our backup. When LJ has had to come out for a play...it's been Blake Bell who lined up on his place.

That said...Bob and Josh will start the best QB we have next year. Being this years backup definitely gives Blake the edge but IMO it doesn't lock it up.

That hasn't exactly been our history. We haven't had a QB "battle" in forever (or under Josh for that matter) so we'll have to see how it plays out.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/4/2012, 06:38 PM

If I were drafting Landry Jones there are 2 MAJOR things that I would have to consider before taking him:

1) Can he answer an opposing score or get a score to put another team away - For 3 1/2 years, he went 3 and out about 90% of the time after an opposing score. He has done better of late, but this is a HUGEEEE weakness for the pro game where most of your games are won/lost on a last minute drive after the opposing team took the lead.

2) The way he underestimates underneath defenders - I think he has a rare gift in that he SEES them, but he continuously underestimates what they can do resulting in a ton of silly interceptions. Everyone talks about the back foot throws, but this crops up even when he isn't throwing off the back foot (think that throwaway ball against pokey state 2 years ago). I'd ponder a long time on whether I thought he could break this habit, because the upside of someone who can sense the robber is crazy in the pro game.

cvsooner
12/4/2012, 07:22 PM
If Landry doesn't improve, I'd say his last game as a Sooner will be Jan. 4. And I mean it this time.

:joyous:

BoulderSooner79
12/4/2012, 07:29 PM
If Landry doesn't improve, I'd say his last game as a Sooner will be Jan. 4. And I mean it this time.

:joyous:

It's too late for me - I say push him out even if he does improve.

(Can he come back for an old timers game?)

thecrimsoncrusader
12/4/2012, 07:51 PM
Sam Bradford says "Hello"!

And we knew why that was. The question is in regards to Knight.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/4/2012, 07:53 PM
Calling your BS. Name the DT who was drafted that sat behind a guy who wasn't drafted. It is going to be rather hard since the 3 who were drafted ALL started as freshmen. Source -> http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=O&collegeName=Oklahoma&abbrFlag=0&type=school

Shipp has his issues with evaluation, but he ALWAYS plays the best player. Whether that "best" player had any skill/technique is up for argument (see my last point).

Yet, he is only averaging 1 tackle per game while the "dead weight" is averaging 2+. "Athletic Talent" is like beauty -> it is all in the eyes of the beerholder. In college, the best player is the one that gets the results. It is why we I hold that Tommie Harris wasn't as good of a college DT as Dvoracek. Harris had the flash, Dusty had the stats.

As someone who watches our Linebackers and DTs fairly closely, I'm at a loss for this. Our interior line and linebackers suffer from the same thing -> blocking themselves out of the play. The interior DL doesn't lose ground and they don't get pancaked, they just go where the blocker wants them to go. Heck if it was a strength/size issue (being pushed back 5 yards) then you'd have something. The truth is that they are recklessly aggressive and are blocked by scheme more than physical ability.

Are you kidding? McFarland, McGee and Walker were embarrassed several times this season in regards to getting knocked back. They weren't even close to absorbing blocks. Saving this thread for next season. You're going to look foolish as the results will speak for themselves and you haven't watched the DTs and LBs close enough apparently.

cvsooner
12/4/2012, 08:07 PM
crimsoncrusader just said jkm will look foolish about something football-related.

We have duly noted your assertion and look forward to the future retraction. You might want to do it now rather than embarrass yourself further.

StoopTroup
12/4/2012, 08:22 PM
That hasn't exactly been our history. We haven't had a QB "battle" in forever (or under Josh for that matter) so we'll have to see how it plays out.

I mentioned that earlier about the White/Hybl Battle. Thing is....history also shows that we haven't had a 5 year Starter Graduate/Draft in a very long time. We have a stable of QBs and the possibility of even recruiting another if wanted. That said....I feel we might see a very interesting situation in the Spring and as we prepare for the Red n White Game. It's a really positive thing for Josh IMO as if he develops another stud QB like he has been doing....things should really blossom for him as a OC and QB Coach. Seeing OU QBs get drafted to the NFL turns heads. It also has QB prospects considering OU IMO.

PLaw
12/4/2012, 10:36 PM

Worried about 2013. When Landry was on, he could spread the ball all over the field. If we choose Bell as the guy, we will need to adjust the offense schemes. Otherwise Allen could be the guy.

Boomer

The boys sure showed a lot of character down the stretch. I think the team displayed some real mental toughness having a couple of Q4 come from behind wins - led largely by the widely and wrongfully despised LJ.

Two fourth qtrs away from the big dance and royally getting screwed out of BCS bowl. Put the boot on whorn's throat when we had the opportunity.

good season - not great. Laid some groundwork for next year's MNC run.

OKLAHOMA where conference championships are the norm and MNC's are the goal.

Sooner

thecrimsoncrusader
12/5/2012, 07:51 AM
crimsoncrusader just said jkm will look foolish about something football-related.

We have duly noted your assertion and look forward to the future retraction. You might want to do it now rather than embarrass yourself further.

Saved. I will have scoreboard.

olevetonahill
12/5/2012, 08:02 AM
Saved. I will have scoreboard.

You sure have the Spek

stoopified
12/5/2012, 08:20 AM

Everything I hear, not media or social network wise but just friends that used to play that hang around, is that Kendall Thompson and Trevor Knight are both looking really good and are the guys the coaches rave over...I just get the feeling it will be one of those guys and Bell will just go on being the belldozer..I know Switzer LOVES Knight.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/5/2012, 09:43 AM
You sure have the Spek

For completely different reasons, which is because I am an ***. With that said, an honest *** though that will be proven right regarding the Sooner defensive line next season. :) It will be better and noticeably so.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/5/2012, 10:31 AM
Are you kidding? McFarland, McGee and Walker were embarrassed several times this season in regards to getting knocked back. They weren't even close to absorbing blocks. Saving this thread for next season. You're going to look foolish as the results will speak for themselves and you haven't watched the DTs and LBs close enough apparently.

Just tell me by what game you want me to show you the difference. I assume by your assertion that either WV or ND should be a good enough measuring stick.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/5/2012, 03:56 PM
Just tell me by what game you want me to show you the difference. I assume by your assertion that either WV or ND should be a good enough measuring stick.

Baylor. :-/

GottaHavePride
12/5/2012, 08:53 PM
This thread is good entertainment for the money. :D

That said, as someone living in Wichita... Blake Bell can throw. We haven't seen much of it yet, but he's got the arm and the accuracy. The only question is how good is he at reading college D's as opposed to high school D's...

JLEW1818
12/5/2012, 08:57 PM
i make the best threads.

8timechamps
12/5/2012, 09:49 PM
For completely different reasons, which is because I am an ***. With that said, an honest *** though that will be proven right regarding the Sooner defensive line next season. :) It will be better and noticeably so.

This is dangerously close to the Oklatoby (or whatever the **** his name is) "vindication" post. Still, not quite there.

Speaking of that dude, he kinda disappeared...wonder why?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/19/2012, 01:15 PM
So, Trevor Knight is playing Johnny Manziel for us on scout team..Apparently doing pretty well also.

yermom
12/19/2012, 01:41 PM
So, Trevor Knight is playing Johnny Manziel for us on scout team..Apparently doing pretty well also.

so i googled him since i don't follow recruiting. be careful. you have been warned :eek:

8timechamps
12/19/2012, 02:31 PM
so i googled him since i don't follow recruiting. be careful. you have been warned :eek:

Fish and gay porn. Good times.

olevetonahill
12/19/2012, 02:36 PM

Who ya Google?

PalmBeachSooner
12/19/2012, 02:51 PM

Name a QB (NFL or College) that's never thrown an errant pass whether it's due to mechanics or decision making.

yermom
12/19/2012, 03:07 PM
Who ya Google?

Trevor Knight, perv

olevetonahill
12/19/2012, 03:09 PM
Trevor Knight, perv

Ima Prov. Butt head
I googled his name and dint see anythin . Maybe i dint look at the listings further down the page

boomersooner28
12/19/2012, 04:07 PM

So you are saying that Johnny Football is going to tear us a new one?

yermom
12/19/2012, 04:37 PM
Ima Prov. Butt head
I googled his name and dint see anythin . Maybe i dint look at the listings further down the page

you are a perv for looking :D

i ended up on the wrong twitter page...

Scott D
12/19/2012, 07:41 PM

probably still planning on playing m2m in the secondary.

cvsooner
12/20/2012, 11:48 AM
Ryan Broyles subbed for Pat White prior to the 2008 Fiesta Bowl...and we know how that turned out. Hopefully this is better.

dennis580
12/22/2012, 03:10 PM

Boomer

Bell has to win the job. I mean he just has to. He will be a absolute nightmare for defenses. Not only his dominating short yarage running, but also feel he could be like Ben Roethlisberger, and keep so many plays alive in the pocket where defenders have him, but just cann't get him on the ground.

I am extremely excited about the Blake Bell era beginning.

SoonerMarkVA
12/22/2012, 04:43 PM
If Bell's going to be the guy, he's going to have to be a pass-first QB the coaches can rely on. I seem to recall a lot of chatter in the spring that Bell was actually doing outstanding running our standard offense. Assuming that holds, I see him as having the serious inside track. That said, if they do go with Bell, I hope they don't abandon the unique skills he can provide and force him into only the standard OU QB model. I hope they go full Tebow with him because he is dang fun to watch carrying that ball, and without the crutch of knowing he won't pass it'll be a serious challenge to defend.

dennis580
12/22/2012, 08:49 PM
If Bell's going to be the guy, he's going to have to be a pass-first QB the coaches can rely on. I seem to recall a lot of chatter in the spring that Bell was actually doing outstanding running our standard offense. Assuming that holds, I see him as having the serious inside track. That said, if they do go with Bell, I hope they don't abandon the unique skills he can provide and force him into only the standard OU QB model. I hope they go full Tebow with him because he is dang fun to watch carrying that ball, and without the crutch of knowing he won't pass it'll be a serious challenge to defend.

Of course we are not going to abandon Bell's dominating short yardage skills. Its all about winning, and we will to continue the Belldozer package.