PDA

View Full Version : Gundy Interview Rumors...but that's not the good part...

Wishboned
12/2/2012, 11:33 PM
He doesn't want to play the tough out of conference schedule. He's scared of a little out of conference competition.

Thankfully our head coach has some balls.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-state-football-website-reports-mike-gundy-interviews-for-tennessee-job/article/3734214?custom_click=pod_headline_osu-cowboys

STILLWATER — Rumors continue to swirl, linking Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy to vacancies at other schools.
For weeks, it's been Arkansas.
Then this past weekend, it was Tennessee, with Volquest.com, the school's Rivals affiliate, reporting Gundy interviewed Sunday with Volunteers athletic director Dave Hart.
And still Arkansas, with Hogs247, one of the school's primary recruiting sites, reporting the school was “feeling good” about Gundy for its opening.
Gundy, as expected, declined to comment on if he had interviewed for the Tennessee job — or has had contact with any other schools — during his Sunday night teleconference to discuss the Cowboys' selection to the Heart of Dallas Bowl.
When asked what he did Sunday, an off day for players, Gundy said he spent it “around the house.”
“I would never, just for everybody involved, never talk about any other job or (give) any confirmation of anything that's gone on,” Gundy said. “…I would prefer not to talk about anything other than Oklahoma State or the bowl game.”
Not exactly a straight-up denial to dispel the speculation. And the truth is, with Gundy's track record of success, he's often going to be mentioned as a desirable candidate when jobs become available at traditional programs like Arkansas or Tennessee.
But what would possibly lead Gundy to even consider leaving OSU, his alma mater and the program he built into a national contender? The school with which he recently signed a lucrative new contract that goes through 2019? The city where his family just moved into a new home and plenty of relatives live nearby?
Reports indicate the relationship between Gundy and OSU athletic director Mike Holder is not what it once was. Last year's contract negotiations dragged out and did not go as smoothly as everyone involved had hoped.
Additionally, Gundy clearly wants more of a role in scheduling, saying repeatedly that he prefers to play the easiest nonconference slate possible. Instead, Holder recently signed off on an ESPN-made game against Mississippi State at Reliant Stadium in Houston for the Cowboys' 2013 season opener, and CBS reported last month that OSU and Florida State are in discussions to play a game at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington in 2014. Both games would provide a huge payday and plenty of television eyeballs for a marquee matchup, as well as fill hard-to-plug gaps in OSU's early season schedule.
“The very best chance for us to win a Big 12 championship is to not encourage what could be a 10th game of the year that could be very difficult,” Gundy said in November. “It's just the percentages. But I don't do scheduling. I've not been involved in scheduling, so if that's going on, it's dealing with somebody else.”
It's hard to fathom Gundy actually bolting OSU for a job like Arkansas or Tennessee, two schools with plenty of history but in rough shape at the present moment.
And it's possible — even likely — Gundy is using any talks with other schools as leverage he and big-time agent Jimmy Sexton can use with OSU. We saw it last week with Les Miles, who got a new contract from LSU just after having preliminary discussions with Arkansas.
Or, at the very least, Gundy is trying to make a point that he wants more control over all aspects of his program.
There's definitely smoke surrounding Gundy and his interest in other head coaching jobs.
But is there fire?
Stay tuned.

picasso
12/3/2012, 12:06 AM
Sooner or later he's going to lay a turd with an OC hire.

soonercastor
12/3/2012, 02:48 AM
Gundy and/or Patterson leaving would definitely not be a good thing for the conference.

Breadburner
12/3/2012, 02:57 AM
Gundy sucks...

redkid
12/3/2012, 04:47 AM
Gundy needs to go while the going is good,,ship only stops once at OSU.

soonercastor
12/3/2012, 04:48 AM
Gundy sucks...

Lol yeah right.

yukonsooner
12/3/2012, 07:46 AM
Gundy sucks...

But it's sort of like ut, do we really want Mack or Gundy to leave???

olevetonahill
12/3/2012, 08:01 AM
Gundy and/or Patterson leaving would definitely not be a good thing for the conference.

Maybe not , but it would be fun to watch the Ag meltdown tho wouldnt it ? :welcoming:

cleller
12/3/2012, 08:28 AM
Wonder how these schools feel about being used as leverage to up your contract? Can you see them sitting across a table from Les?

"Les, are you interested in this job? Les? What is that?....I wouldn't eat it, put it back on the floor. Is something wrong with your chair? So, about the coaching vacancy...yes, I see it, it is a pretty bird. No, I don't know what it is. No, I'm not sure when they will be back with the Skittles...."

thecrimsoncrusader
12/3/2012, 09:12 AM
While it paid off in some previous years, it certainly didn't pay off this season playing a non-conference schedule with at least one tough team. OU is paying for the ND loss dearly this season. And OU should have never scheduled ND in the first place due to the curse that nothing can overcome.

badger
12/3/2012, 09:20 AM
Forget Mike Holder (but if you want to think about him, he has won golf national titles, and as golf is a bragging sport for business professional types, you know what level of arrogance he's on even before he became poke AD). Let's think about the guy REALLY pulling the strings... T. Bone Pick.

Here's a guy who is buying up water rights in west Texas where there is no water so that he can sell it to metro areas. Here's a guy who made his fortune off polluting energy that's trying to con everyone into thinking he's all for the environment in his wind energy initiative. Here's a guy that tried to SELL the idea (he didn't just pitch it, he wanted to be PAID for it) that dying group supporters would be profitable for said group via expensive insurance plans (all of the Pokes in that group are still alive, mind you, after OSU lost millions on it). After he supported the anti-Kerry "Swift Boat Vets for Truth" stuff in 2004, he tried to come up to John Kerry at the next Democratic Convention in 2008 (because remember - he's a pro-environment guy now!) and Kerry, to his credit, dodged the outstretched hand and continued walking.

Let's just say it: Philanthropy isn't generosity to this guy. It's buying influence so that he can play Jerry Jones without owning an NFL team.

So if Gundy's mad at anyone, it's Boone Tang. And Pickens' Texas-level arrogance (where he lives now, not in Oklahoma, probably so he doesn't have to pay our measly 4 percent income tax, loser) won't allow Gundy to call the shots on non-conference scheduling nor anything else at HIS program. Just like Jerry Jones said he would never step down as de facto GM of the Cowboys, Pickens will NOT step down at de facto GM of THESE "Cowboys"

In conclusion, we are OK-FIRST, and they are still OKLAST.
http://www.orangepower.com/attachments/imageuploadedbytapatalk1348964925-556916-jpg.13660/

PS: This is not to knock OSU, I know you guys had a tough weekend via your fooseball and Travis Fording. This is a knock on your big money benefactor that will drive your most successful coach out of his - and I assume yours - beloved alma mater.

cleller
12/3/2012, 10:16 AM
I actually tried to read some stuff at Go Pokes to figure out how the landscape lays in Stillwater. They seem to feel that Gundy is tired enough of Boone pulling Holder's strings that he might leave, but likely is just screwing with Holder because Holder jacked him around on his last contract.

That sound right?

Obviously Boone runs the entire school, which is a disgusting cuckold-type arrangement. Apparently Gundy is also tired of Boone and Holder dictating who will be on the coaching staff. Since Gundy is a man, and likely the only man in this whole equation, I can see him leaving.

sooneron
12/3/2012, 10:23 AM
Am I the only one that sees Arkie as a lateral move?

badger
12/3/2012, 10:35 AM

Arky and Tennessee both. I know that the way that you spell SEC is S-E-C! (chanted repeatedly) but their alumni are crazy, their fanbase expectations are unrealistic and they are not going to win unless they get a Lane Kiffin-type in to stir the pot.

Is it better to flame out in two years (or one) in the SEC, or to just keep your good thing going at your alma mater, even with a meddling billionaire and his puppet AD? Stay at Poke, [hairGel]. If you get fired a la Gene Cheese-it, it'll take years in the mid-majors (with mid-major-level contracts, although I'm sure you'll have a nice buyout after your firing) to rebuild your reputation and career. You're only in your 40s, it's far too early to be labeled a loser in the SEC... and what is there to gain?

PrideMom
12/3/2012, 10:43 AM
Gundy should go to Tennessee and see what a stadium of 100 thousand looks like. They even show up when the team and season are not any good. OSU is stepping stone to better programs. Ask Les Miles....... If Gundy is truly a great coach, he should be up ot the challenge....

sooneron
12/3/2012, 10:45 AM
I don't think UA and Tenn should be mentioned in the same breath. Tenn has only sucked since DOh!boy left. Yeah, they were bad in his last couple of years, but they can cling to the Manning/Tee years. Aside from Dmac, Arkie hasn't really been on the national (top 10) radar with any consistency since they were in the SWC.

KantoSooner
12/3/2012, 11:08 AM

Arkie's got more history in the football arena, but not nearly as much 'lately' as the Pokes. It is SEC, SEC, SEC, so for some that's a plus. Arkie is also a lot 'smaller' than OSU and doesn't have the facilities or ability to recruit. But, Arkie is in Fayetteville which is, even during the middle of a howling ****storm, about eleventybillion times better a place to live than Stillwater.

Piware
12/3/2012, 12:43 PM
Gundy doesn't have the cajones to go ahywhere. He may have his detractors in the Stool but they will back him the same way they did the drunken Suttons, whether the Pukes are winning or not. T-Bone is not going to live forever - Gundy can stand on his head until the old miscreant croaks.

PrideMom
12/3/2012, 12:45 PM
Maybe Gundy is finally feeling like T. Boone's whore.......he already knows that Holder is.

Mac94
12/3/2012, 12:49 PM
ONe "advantage" to Ark and Tennessee is that both are kings of their states. No matter what he does at oSu the Pokes are always gonna be second fiddle in the state to the Sooners.

MichiganSooner
12/3/2012, 12:49 PM
Gundy should go to Tennessee and see what a stadium of 100 thousand looks like. They even show up when the team and season are not any good.

I wonder what game is "The Premium Game" at Tennessee next season?

Piware
12/3/2012, 12:50 PM
Holder is the madam - Gundy is the whore.

badger
12/3/2012, 01:48 PM
Holder is the madam - Gundy is the whore.

And the sheep's name is Jane.

k80nW6AOhTs

badger
12/3/2012, 03:47 PM
Also... I would like to present to you THE TRUTH... in photos...

Mike Gundy: My name is Mike Gundy and I played my college ball at Oklahoma State.
http://www.thevictoryformation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Mike-Gundy-Mullet.jpg

Travis Ford: My name is Travis Ford and I played my ball somewhere else.
http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Graphics/Players/travis_ford.jpg

Mike Gundy: I have coached mostly at OSU. My family's roots are in the state of Oklahoma and I am all for Oklahoma State.
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Y3doL1vzFmY/0.jpg

Travis Ford: I took UMass to the NIT in the powerhouse conference known as the A10!
http://umasshoops.com/media/pics/2005-06/ford_intro20050325/takes_mic.jpg

Mike Gundy: While I've had my embarrassing moments, including a losing season my first year as OSU's head coach, my teams have shown steady improvement, including our first Big 12 conference title and first BCS bowl appearance, which we won.
http://www.thesportsbank.net/core/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/gundy_tirade_070923_300w.jpg

Travis Ford: I took OSU to the second round of the NCAA tourney... then the first round... then the NIT... then nothing...
http://kotv.images.worldnow.com/images/8180168_BG1.jpg

Mike Gundy: I admit that I hired an agent to handle contract negotiations, but I had the respect for my alma mater to call it my "New York Yankees job" and only want a contract that matches OSU's accomplishments during my tenure as head coach.
http://examiner-enterprise.com/sites/files/article/140088_web_1-3-12-Fiesta-Bowl.jpg

Travis Ford: OSU gave me a 10-year contract that pays more than Gundy's old contract... did I mention that my teams have been spiraling downward since my arrival?
http://binaryapi.ap.org/bce8b194fedd4b5c8ea8f992967278f2/512x.jpg

Mike Gundy: Not to mention the fact that season ticket sales and home attendance are higher than they've been in history. Although I admit that our facilities now have higher capacities than before, ticket prices are also higher, so fans have committed and commended the results that my teams have produced recently.
http://media.huskerlocker.com/files/1/blog/4b82c8a41d03d/tn_510x510_gundy.jpg

Travis Ford: Now come on, people. Of course GIA is going to look empty when those seats are bright orange if nobody's sitting in them!
http://examiner-enterprise.com/sites/files/article/161719_web_Missouri-Oklahoma-St-_Rush.jpg

PS: Don't expect me to keep this up. Eff OKLAST and all, but my goodness are they about to make a big mistake if they let Gundy go

mainline13
12/3/2012, 06:27 PM
Wonder how these schools feel about being used as leverage to up your contract? Can you see them sitting across a table from Les?

"Les, are you interested in this job? Les? What is that?....I wouldn't eat it, put it back on the floor. Is something wrong with your chair? So, about the coaching vacancy...yes, I see it, it is a pretty bird. No, I don't know what it is. No, I'm not sure when they will be back with the Skittles...."

That's some funny stuff, there.

8timechamps
12/3/2012, 06:39 PM
I don't see Arkansas as a huge step up from OSU (if any), but Tennessee would be a big step up from Stillwater. If Gundy went to Knoxville and made Tennessee into a power again, he'd be able to name his price. I still would be shocked if Gundy left.

If he does go to Knoxville, the home and home series in 2014/15 with the Vols would be a little more interesting.

picasso
12/3/2012, 06:53 PM
I think spiked hair is just coming into style in Tennessee. He'd be a great fit there.

8timechamps
12/3/2012, 07:07 PM
I think spiked hair is just coming into style in Tennessee. He'd be a great fit there.

You may be a year or two ahead. They're just finishing with feathered hair and huge afros.

Piware
12/3/2012, 07:12 PM
Could Gundy make the adjustment from domesticated sheep to mountain goats? Now THAT is a step up.

tulsaoilerfan
12/3/2012, 08:02 PM
I can't believe you people think Tennessee is a lateral move; they have not been good lately but they are in the top 10 all time for wins and have a 100,000 seat stadium that sells out; the pokes can't even sell out when OU is in town; OSU will ALWAYS be second fiddle to OU but at Tennessee he would finally be the Top Dog

Soonerwake
12/3/2012, 09:31 PM
Mike Gundy is going nowhere. Book it...

Now, he is tired of Holder and Boone's incessant meddling, including regular phone calls concerning depth charts, play calling, etc.. But, he has too much holding him here.

OUinFLA
12/3/2012, 09:57 PM
but, but, but................Tennessee is in the SEC...SEC.... SEC........

kevpks
12/4/2012, 01:14 AM
I hope he takes the Tennessee job. Look who plays us in 2014 and 2015.

http://soonerstats.com/football/seasons/schedule.cfm?seasonid=2013

tycat947
12/4/2012, 01:34 AM
Maybe Gundy is finally feeling like T. Boone's whore.......he already knows that Holder is.

Isn't that the truth?!!! Stoolwater and the whole school is Booger Picken's whore and he knows it! He's just a country boy Donald Trump! They all deserve each other!!!

ouflak
12/4/2012, 03:37 AM
Now, he is tired of Holder and Boone's incessant meddling, including regular phone calls concerning depth charts, play calling, etc.. But, he has too much holding him here.

I think he even gets these phone calls during the games.