PDA

View Full Version : Why I want NIU to win their bowl game.

8timechamps
12/2/2012, 09:39 PM
I've given this some thought, and I've decided that I want the Huskies to win. First, it's not their fault that the BCS is a hair-brained process, they are just doing what any team in their position would do. So, I can't wish ill will on them. Second, and probably a better reason, an NIU victory over the mighty SEC in a BCS game would remove the Boise State win over OU as the most surprising upset in BCS history.

soonerinabilene
12/2/2012, 09:41 PM
Yeah, it would. But unfortunately they are playing against the crappy ACC, not the SEC.

8timechamps
12/2/2012, 09:44 PM
Yeah, it would. But unfortunately they are playing against the crappy ACC, not the SEC.

Oh yeah, it's NIU/Florida State. Still, that might have enough 'umpf' to de-throne the king.

Soonerus
12/2/2012, 09:47 PM
Who cares ?

8timechamps
12/2/2012, 09:50 PM
Who cares ?

Does it not feel like someone is kicking you in the balls every time they show that damn Statue of Liberty play at the end of the game? I want those ''highlights" to never see the light of day. The only way that happens is if 1) Boise goes back to an unknown -or- 2) an equal or bigger surprising upset occurs. And, since it doesn't appear that Boise is going anywhere, option B would be the best option.

I Am Right
12/2/2012, 09:51 PM
I want them to lose by 100 points

TitoMorelli
12/2/2012, 09:54 PM
I'd like to see blowouts by the favorites in the Sugar and the Orange, and pathetically low TV ratings for both games.

cleller
12/2/2012, 09:56 PM
I want them to lose by 100 points

Ya! And have the announcers saying "Oklahoma might have made a game out of this".

8timechamps
12/2/2012, 09:58 PM
I'd like to see blowouts by the favorites in the Sugar and the Orange, and pathetically low TV ratings for both games.

I feel pretty safe in saying that's probably what you'll see.

But can we add the Rose bowl to the list? 7-5 Wisconsin?! Really?!

Soonerwake
12/2/2012, 10:02 PM
All I know is that NIU is not a good team. If FSU shows up at all, they win by 4-5 touchdowns.

5noubus
12/2/2012, 10:10 PM
I want flstate to beat them like we beat the shorthorns this year. I want the BCS to realize BCS bowl games are not the time or place to play pre-season cupcake teams.
I want those huskies to realize the only reason they even beat kent state is because all the sooner fans were pulling for them because we didn't want Kent state to screw it up for us.
I hope there 15000 fans enjoy playing in a BCS bowl- it isn't their fault the system sucks.
They win and then everyone "thinks - see this system still works"

fadada1
12/2/2012, 10:12 PM
you're right. they're going to be terrible ratings. first - the big east shouldn't be allowed to put a team in a BCS game... period. second - n. illinois couldn't beat a bad big10 team.

however, if you HAD to put them in, why ruin 2 games. have louisville play n. illinois in the orange bowl; and if you leave OU out, at the very least have a rematch of FSU and UF - at least people would watch it.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/2/2012, 10:14 PM
I wish ill will on them and I hope FSU annihilates them. Like, game over in the 1st quarter and the worst BCS bowl loss in history from as point margin standpoint. Send a message to the pollsters and system that they screwed up.

8timechamps
12/2/2012, 10:20 PM
Does everyone realize the BCS is in it's last two years? They're not going to "learn any lessons" or "realize" anything. They'll count their money and think "it's amazing we got away with this as long as we did!"

Eielson
12/3/2012, 01:16 AM
All I really care about is OU winning. The only other thing that even slightly matters to me is the SEC getting knocked down a peg. The polls have been utterly ridiculous this year (almost half the SEC ahead of us...seriously?). I don't really see the SEC getting knocked around any this year, though. They're looking good to win the championship, and their game against Louisville is one of the biggest no-brainers in all of bowl season. We have to win or this bowl season could get ugly.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/3/2012, 01:36 AM
I want it to be so one-sided, midway through the 3rd quarter the network decides to switch over to a Timberwolves-Raptors basketball game.

badger
12/3/2012, 09:50 AM
Meh, other mid-majors have beaten the big boys before (TCU over Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl a few years ago, Utah over Bammer, etc). I really don't care. Eff the BCS. I don't mind that they're going and we aren't. The 7-11 ranked teams aren't going to the BCS either. Yay BCS.

MichiganSooner
12/3/2012, 10:04 AM
I want them to get whupped bad. The 15,000 who attends their home games includes visitors and hard to believe all of them will travel to a distant bowl. Hope their AD enjoys buying football tickets.

SoonerStormchaser
12/3/2012, 10:34 AM
eff em...hope Noles win 77-0

badger
12/3/2012, 10:43 AM
I want them to get whupped bad. The 15,000 who attends their home games includes visitors and hard to believe all of them will travel to a distant bowl. Hope their AD enjoys buying football tickets.

if the bowl is required to take them, is the team required to buy a certain number of tickets?

OUinFLA
12/3/2012, 10:47 AM
if the bowl is required to take them, is the team required to buy a certain number of tickets?

I think UCONN was complaining about the same thing. Seems like they lost about a million by playing in the Fiesta.

Scott D
12/3/2012, 04:30 PM
All I learned from NIU's season is that apparently Iowa is better than Kansas.

SoonerNomad
12/3/2012, 04:37 PM
I think UCONN was complaining about the same thing. Seems like they lost about a million by playing in the Fiesta.

For a non-AQ school should create enough positive publicity to overcome those losses. Most schools would kill for the opportunity to be seen by that many TV viewers and to be written about by that many writers.

8timechamps
12/3/2012, 05:32 PM
What's kinda funny is that for all the crap the BCS is getting for including NIU (and rightfully so), this is going to end up being one of those games everyone tunes in to see out of curiosity. If NIU can make it competitive, people will stick around and watch.

Scott D
12/3/2012, 06:04 PM
For a non-AQ school should create enough positive publicity to overcome those losses. Most schools would kill for the opportunity to be seen by that many TV viewers and to be written about by that many writers.

but their ticket allotment that they "must" sell is higher than their highest attendance at a home game. Truthfully, MAC schools are better off playing in the Little Caesar's Bowl or whatever they call it simply because it's a lot easier for them to travel.

Scott D
12/3/2012, 06:05 PM
What's kinda funny is that for all the crap the BCS is getting for including NIU (and rightfully so), this is going to end up being one of those games everyone tunes in to see out of curiosity. If NIU can make it competitive, people will stick around and watch.

I thought about it, and while NIU can be exciting to watch FSU can be dreadful to watch. They are way too bipolar to get a good read on.

8timechamps
12/3/2012, 06:06 PM
I thought about it, and while NIU can be exciting to watch FSU can be dreadful to watch. They are way too bipolar to get a good read on.

Yep. I actually tried to watch some of the ACC CCG, but it was too painful.

Scott D
12/3/2012, 06:08 PM
Yep. I actually tried to watch some of the ACC CCG, but it was too painful.

That's why the Huskies started off as only 7 point dogs.

8timechamps
12/3/2012, 06:09 PM
That's why the Huskies started off as only 7 point dogs.

I guess the Huskies QB is pretty good. Admittedly, I've only seen him once (part of the Kent State game), but he didn't seem like a world-beater to me. Maybe it'll be interesting, but I'm thinking not.

Scott D
12/3/2012, 06:12 PM
eh he put those numbers up against the MAC. Manziel would have set NCAA records for total yardage against those defenses that would never be broken.

MichiganSooner
12/3/2012, 06:21 PM
Isn't that what happened to UConn when they did not sell their allotment. Anyway, the Chicago Tribune says that NIU is giving a free ticket to any student who wants to go. They pick up the tickets at the gate in Miami.

MichiganSooner
12/3/2012, 06:26 PM

I think UConn came up short in selling allotted tickets and had to pay a million or so. Anyway, Chicago Tribune says NIU is buying a ticket for any of its students who show up at the stadium in Miami. A good gesture on their part; most students can't afford a big trip with an expensive ballgame. But I'll be ticked if Joe C brings them to Norman for a big payout game with us.

Piware
12/3/2012, 07:16 PM
I'm curious to see how NIU is going to peddle their ticket allotment. Are there 17,000 people in northern Illinois? Hope the BCS loses their shorts on this one.