PDA

View Full Version : The Affair of the Heart Bowl

Judge Smails
12/2/2012, 09:30 PM
I got to admit, the first time I heard the term "The Heart of Texas", I immediately thought about "The Affair of the Heart" that my wife and her friends go to at the OK Fairgrounds.

Oh, and also that song by Rick Springfield. :glee:

goingoneight
12/3/2012, 11:09 AM
The only thing more ridiculous than meaningless bowl games is the names of bowl games anymore.

rock on sooner
12/3/2012, 11:11 AM
35 bowls...probably 15-17 too many....

Piware
12/3/2012, 12:59 PM
It sounds like some type of salad. Would you like croutons and the dressing on the side?

Judge Smails
12/3/2012, 01:01 PM
It sounds like some type of salad. Would you like croutons and the dressing on the side?

You're thinking of the Hidden Valley Ranch Bowl.

kevpks
12/3/2012, 01:07 PM
Well the Pokes were insistent that they wouldn't fall below the Cotton bowl after beating the Gooners and winning out. They're right. They are playing in the Cotton Bowl stadium.

Judge Smails
12/3/2012, 05:17 PM
:chuncky:From OP:

For those bad mouthing the bowl itself, I know it could have been better and would really have liked getting the Cotton or Alamo but it is what it is. Plus back in 1974 we played in the fourth installment of a little known bowl in Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, AZ. That bowl was the Fiesta Bowl which became one of the premier bowls in the country. How cool will it be 25 years from now to say we played in the inaugural Heart Of Dallas Bowl if it becomes a well respected bowl?

Translation: "This bowl sucks now, but wait 25 years and this could be a really cool bowl!" :welcoming:

kevpks
12/3/2012, 05:25 PM
:chuncky:From OP:How cool will it be 25 years from now to say we played in the inaugural Heart Of Dallas Bowl if it becomes a well respected bowl?

Translation: "This bowl sucks now, but wait 25 years and this could be a really cool bowl!" :welcoming:

Comedy gold.

KABOOKIE
12/3/2012, 05:28 PM
Kind of like osu's national champions in basketball. The NCAA tourney sucked back then. The big boys went to the NIT

kevpks
12/4/2012, 09:02 AM
Aggie co-worker: "OSU has a chance to win a unique bowl that the Sooners have never gone to." He's got me there.

ouleaf
12/4/2012, 09:46 AM
:chuncky:From OP:

For those bad mouthing the bowl itself, I know it could have been better and would really have liked getting the Cotton or Alamo but it is what it is. Plus back in 1974 we played in the fourth installment of a little known bowl in Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, AZ. That bowl was the Fiesta Bowl which became one of the premier bowls in the country. How cool will it be 25 years from now to say we played in the inaugural Heart Of Dallas Bowl if it becomes a well respected bowl?

It's not really a new bowl game, just a change in sponsor. It was the Ticket City Bowl last year, put in place to replace the vacancy at the Cotton Bowl since that game has moved over to the Death Star in Arlington.

Tie-ins include the Big 10 and the other spot alternating b/w Big 12/C-USA.

The Heart of Dallas is a non-profit group that works to raise attention and funds for established as well as other lesser-known charitable and good works foundations around the Dallas area that just may not get the publicity they need. It will never be a big-time bowl, but it is nice to see good works being done with a bowl game instead of just a big money grab.

PrideMom
12/4/2012, 10:06 AM
I hope they are more hospitable than they were at the original Cotton Bowl when OU played Arkansas. The game was on New Years Day at 10:00 AM and not a single building was open in the fair grounds to help people get out of the cold before the game, or extra concessions if you wanted coffee or something to keep you warm. Parking was a joke, many people had paid extra for premium parking, but none was available.

MyT Oklahoma
12/4/2012, 10:08 AM
In 1974 we were on probation. In 1976 we went to the Fiesta Bowl and crushed Wyoming.

But your point is 100% valid. Look where the Fiesta Bowl is today.

P.S. I can remember everything from the decade of the 70's because that is when I became a Sooner fan. Ask me anything about 1995 through 1998 and I can't remember squid. Same thing for 5 years ago. Go figure, I'm getting old. LOL