PDA

View Full Version : did Nebraska officially screw us ?

JLEW1818
12/1/2012, 11:57 PM
I think they might have

Stupid bug

FaninAma
12/2/2012, 12:00 AM
I think NIU still only gets to 17th. And I doubt UCLA falls below them or Boise State.

Soonerus
I don't think so...we were slotted to the Sugar Bowl before the KSU game...OU vs. FLA...in the Sugar Bowl...

StoopTroup
A 7-5 Team beat the ever living shat out of them for it.

MyT Oklahoma
12/2/2012, 12:05 AM
If the Bugeaters screwed us I sure didn't feel it. Did anyone else?

StoopTroup
12/2/2012, 12:07 AM
I felt they got buggered by a badger.

sooneron
12/2/2012, 12:07 AM
Is a bowl obligated to take them if they are 15th or something? What did I miss?
Why would a bowl take them over us unless they were obligated to do so?

soonercastor
12/2/2012, 12:09 AM
Is a bowl obligated to take them if they are 15th or something?

Yes.

These non AQ teams usually had to go undefeated to even get any consideration, but here we have NIU with one loss and freaking Boise with not one but TWO losses in the conversation, that's just stupid. Heck an undefeated Boise team got left out a few years ago and that team was light years ahead of these two.

Phil
12/2/2012, 12:09 AM
Is a bowl obligated to take them if they are 15th or something? What did I miss?

Has to do with the BCS. If they freefall, it could help NIU get to 16 and take our BCS spot.

jk the sooner fan
12/2/2012, 12:10 AM
if a mid major makes it into the top 16 of the bcs rankings - they are guaranteed a spot as an at large invite

so they would push us out based on that but i dont think its going to happen

StoopTroup

I don't know why any Bowl would want them after getting hammered like that by a 7-5 Team.

kevpks

I think he is referring to NIU's chances of getting to 16 in the BCS. The thinking is that getting obliterated by Wisconsin might drop them enough for NIU to pass them.

Phil
I think NIU still only gets to 17th. And I doubt UCLA falls below them or Boise State.

This. I think the voters will make sure NIU does not jump high enough to get into the BCS.

soonercastor
12/2/2012, 12:12 AM
yeah but the thing is we have to watch for stupid 2-loss Boise as well. Unbelievable.

sooneron
12/2/2012, 12:12 AM
Thanks everyone. I didn't know it was an obligation, I just thought it was an opportunity to be invited. Bull**** rule, imo. 16th ranked team? sheesh.

mdklatt
12/2/2012, 12:13 AM
if a mid major makes it into the top 16 of the bcs rankings - they are guaranteed a spot as an at large invite

...if they're ranked higher than an AQ conference champion. Which is the case this year due to the Big Least.

JLEW1818
12/2/2012, 12:15 AM
Hope the voters stick together. Is Bo liked?

oklaclarinet
12/2/2012, 12:15 AM
Well, it's not just the mid-major being in the top 16. It's a mid-major being in the top 16 and being ranked higher than the champ of a BCS conference. This year, if either NIU or Boise makes it to 16, they will be ranked higher than the champs of both the Big East and the Big Ten. (And if Georgia Tech had won you could have thrown the ACC into that group as well.)

jk the sooner fan
12/2/2012, 12:16 AM
...if they're ranked higher than an AQ conference champion. Which is the case this year due to the Big Least.

yep -forgot that part - thanks

kevpks
12/2/2012, 12:22 AM
I can't believe we even have to sweat this. What a bunch of crap.

Soonerus
12/2/2012, 12:26 AM
We should be fine...

StoopTroup
12/2/2012, 12:28 AM
I can't believe we even have to sweat this. What a bunch of crap.

It's absolutely ridiculous. Hell....Tulsa beat a Team nobody said they could beat twice and are having to go to the Liberty Bowl? The BCS is definitely worse now. I know folks thought things would get better once the Playoffs were installed but it won't be better for these lesser Bowls. It going to be really screwed up....

kevpks
12/2/2012, 12:30 AM
It's absolutely ridiculous. Hell....Tulsa beat a Team nobody said they could beat twice and are having to go to the Liberty Bowl? The BCS is definitely worse now. I know folks thought things would get better once the Playoffs were installed but it won't be better for these lesser Bowls. It going to be really screwed up....

And conference realignment is making things worse too. Just look at these championship games. Wisconsin and Georgia Tech had no business playing for a BCS game. Georgia Tech needs an exemption to even go to a bowl since they're 6-7 now. I think UCLA had to do that last year too.

kevpks
12/2/2012, 12:35 AM
BCS Guru (whoever that is) predicts NIU to move to 17. Too close for comfort.

@BCSGuru: #BCS top 20: 20. Northwestern, 19. Boise State, 18. Michigan, 17. Northern Illinois, 16. Nebraska, 15. UCLA, 14. FSU;

soonercastor
12/2/2012, 12:39 AM
Too close for comfort.
;

way too ****ing close. Man this sucks.

BoulderSooner79
12/2/2012, 02:45 AM
The rule has been in place for a while - deal with it. If we beat ND, we play Bama for all the marbles and all this other stuff if just noise for other teams to talk about. Win your games.

soonercastor
12/2/2012, 08:41 AM
And conference realignment is making things worse too. Just look at these championship games. Wisconsin and Georgia Tech had no business playing for a BCS game. Georgia Tech needs an exemption to even go to a bowl since they're 6-7 now. I think UCLA had to do that last year too.

well you can't penalize G Tech for Miami keeping itself out of the ACC tiitle game (which is how G Tech ended up there after finishing 6-6 therefore bowl eligible). What did you want them to do? "No we don't want to play that championship game, we'll just stay at 6-6 and be bowl eligible"?

If we beat ND, we play Bama for all the marbles and all this other stuff if just .

That's not a lock, but in that scenario we'd be a lock for a BCS game and either Florida or Oregon would not get an at-large.

kevpks
12/2/2012, 09:03 AM
well you can't penalize G Tech for Miami keeping itself out of the ACC tiitle game (which is how G Tech ended up there after finishing 6-6 therefore bowl eligible). What did you want them to do? "No we don't want to play that championship game, we'll just stay at 6-6 and be bowl eligible"?

That's not a lock, but in that scenario we'd be a lock for a BCS game and either Florida or Oregon would not get an at-large.

Where did I say they shouldn't play in the game? My point is that the ACC super conference that was supposed to happen never materialized and it looks like the Pac 10 and Big 10 also weakened themselves by expanding. Has any conference actually strengthened themselves by expanding? This will get worse if conferences start going to 16.

yermom
12/2/2012, 10:07 AM
the Big 12 seemed to do okay after expanding to 12 teams

kevpks
12/2/2012, 11:04 AM
the Big 12 seemed to do okay after expanding to 12 teams

Not really. I'd take the old Big 8 over what we have now. Adding Texas schools ruined a good league.

BajaOklahoma
12/2/2012, 11:09 AM
Not really. I'd take the old Big 8 over what we have now. Adding Texas schools ruined a good league.

Word.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/2/2012, 11:33 AM
Hope the voters stick together. Is Bo liked?

I think Bo is toast.

mainline13
12/2/2012, 06:16 PM
If the Bugeaters screwed us I sure didn't feel it. Did anyone else?

Needle d!cks, don't you know.

JLEW1818
12/2/2012, 06:26 PM
Told y'all

King Crimson
12/2/2012, 06:34 PM

big 8 was strong at the end in both hoops and football. 4 football NC's in it's last decade. played for the ring at least 2-3 times as well in that time period. sending 4-5 teams to the NCAA hoops tournament.

just not enough population density....same story as the latest round of reshuffle.

it wasn't about quality of play on the field....just the political economies of advertising dollars.