PDA

View Full Version : On top of your medical insurance, are you now also getting buggered on homeowners?

cleller
12/1/2012, 07:15 AM
Dropped in on my local Farm Bureau agent yesterday, and found out my homeowner's policy is going from $2071 to about $3000. That's an over 45% increase. The look on her face was a painful combination of embarrassment, shame, and horror. I already have a $5000 deductible. She said its due to all the hail, plus some wildfires, etc.

The only solution I can think of is insurance companies offering a "no hail" policy. Something where unless your house burns down, or is blown away, you don't call them. Guess we'll have to check around again.

Oklahoma. Hail capital of the world.

jiminy
12/1/2012, 12:00 PM
Shop around... Farmers bumped me from 1500 to 2400 over 2 years. I switched to State Farm who is charging me 1350.

BajaOklahoma
12/1/2012, 12:11 PM
We've never managed to get a hail claim. All the homes around us will get a new roof, but not us. There must be a bubble of protection over our house.

bluedogok
12/1/2012, 12:33 PM
We had the roof on our house in Austin replaced by Farmers early this year before we sold it. We are buying a higher value home in Aurora (that had its roof replaced by claim in 2009) and our insurance is significantly less than what it was in Austin and we had a pretty bare bones policy there due to when all the companies left and then came back after the Texas Insurance Commission let them have their increases after initially denying them. In fact all of our insurance in Colorado is less than it was in Texas.

Midtowner
12/1/2012, 05:42 PM
Shop around... Farmers bumped me from 1500 to 2400 over 2 years. I switched to State Farm who is charging me 1350.

State Farm is cheap, but they'll also get you sued. They're some cheap SOBs on their payouts.

cleller
12/1/2012, 09:27 PM
Always Save Ins out of Poteau has some low rates, but their address shows to be in a trailer park, and they only have a cell phone.

Midtowner
12/1/2012, 10:17 PM
Always Save Ins out of Poteau has some low rates, but their address shows to be in a trailer park, and they only have a cell phone.

Sounds like a winner!