PDA

View Full Version : TCU game is hard to figure out

aurorasooner
11/30/2012, 12:50 AM
Bob and Mike used to be defensive geniuses in the early 2000s. Have the opposing OCs and the opposing offensive talent passed them by? I've been trying to figure Saturday's game out, and can't because I keep reading what look like excuses and not the same problem solving like they used to do in the early 2000s --- when you knew if we faced a team with a Frosh QB, we'd make them one dimensional and then completely shut them down.
So do you think we'll be able to stop TCU's run game w/o making their Frosh QB look like the 2nd coming of Fran Tarkenton? It seems like from what M. Stoops is saying is we're not good enough to stop both the run and also stop the pass. Also on offense, at least on paper, it looks like we won't be able to run the football on them it does appear we can throw the football on them (if Landry doesn't get rattled and and start throwing picks). If you look at their NCAA stats (ranked 50th in pass D, but that may be skewed since they have 20 picks in 11 games and ranked 3rd in the NCAA stats. They're also ranked 4th in 3rd down conversion defense, 10th in 1st downs defense.
From the Norman Transcript. -----Missed tackles were some of the problem. Having to match up with four-receiver sets didn’t help either. But the shear amount of plays the Sooners had to defend hurt as well. Stopping the run has been OU’s Achilles’ heel the last three games. “As a defensive coordinator, and as a defense, you’ve got to be able to stop the run and feel good about your commitment to stop the run,” he said. “We’d been a little bit resistant to that. We’d been a little more pass conscience. We’re not good enough right now at both things. In this league, you’re gonna have to try to find a balance. Right now, we still haven’t found that balance in our defense to stop the run.” From a TCU blog it appears that TCU will try and follow the same game-plan that they used against the Whorns.
Keys to the Game: TCU vs. OU Use the Texas Game Plan: The Frogs made an effort to establish the running game against Texas and it worked out great. TCU will have to make that same commitment this week against Oklahoma. The Sooners have allowed over 200 yards rushing in each of their last three games. West Virginia rushed for over 400 yards against this defense. If the Frogs offensive line controls the line of scrimmage, the Frogs will have success. Rattle Landry Jones: A big part of this game comes down to how Landry Jones plays. In some games he looks like a first round draft pick, in others he has looked terrible. The Frogs need to create pressure and not give Jones time to survey the field.

Don’t allow OU receivers to have an impact: Oklahoma will complete passes, but the key is to not give up the big pass play down the field. The Sooners come into this game ranked fifth in the country in passing, averaging over 350 yards per game through the air.

Win the Turnover Battle: It has been pretty clear this season that when the Frogs win the turnover battle, they give themselves a better chance to win. Protect the football and do not give the Sooners extra opportunities.

Don’t Fall Behind Early: TCU had so much success last week because they controlled the game and had the lead. If the Frogs fall behind, it could force Boykin into more passing situations which will not benefit this offense. http://www.frogsowar.com/2012/11/29/3706216/keys-to-the-game-tcu-vs-ou
TCU has been tough in run defense all season, and Oklahoma has struggled to effectively — and consistently — run the football through this recent stretch. Landry Jones and the OU receivers have operated pretty effectively, though, even without much of a threat in the running game. Do you expect those matchups to be determining factors Saturday?

“Yes, those are the keys to this game. The Frogs secondary, as good as it has played this season, has been susceptible to the long pass. If Jones can hit on some of those early that could open up TCU’s run defense and cause problems for the Frogs. I expect TCU to come at Jones with abandon, especially defensive ends Stansly Maponga and Devonte Fields. If the Sooners can keep those two at bay, they have a chance to exploit some of TCU’s vulnerabilities. I expect a close game.” http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2012/11/29/five-questions-with-tcu-beat-writer-stefan-stevenson-of-the-fort-worth-star-telegram/

picasso
11/30/2012, 12:53 AM
The Horns don't throw the ball or have players who can catch it like we do.

agoo758
11/30/2012, 01:01 AM
People are overreacting over Mike Stoops. History has shown that it takes 2-3 threes to see whether a system is working or not.

Let's not forget, Bill Bellichek lost 11 games his first year at New England.

Lou Holtz was 0-11 his first year at South Carolina.

Bill Snyder lost to freaking UL Lafayette his first year back at KSU.

agoo758
11/30/2012, 01:01 AM
People are overreacting over Mike Stoops. History has shown that it takes 2-3 years to see whether a system is working or not.

Let's not forget, Bill Bellichek lost 11 games his first year at New England.

Lou Holtz was 0-11 his first year at South Carolina.

Soonerjeepman
11/30/2012, 01:06 AM
guess I'm thinking we gave up so many yards rushing BECAUSE the other teams had a pretty good passing attack and TOTAL offense, hurry up.

Not saying we are going to blow tcu out, but I do think we will have a better defensive showing.

BoulderSooner79
11/30/2012, 01:52 AM
I've read a few articles where Mike admitted his early 2000s defense would have had problems stopping today's big12 offenses. Times have changed and we're probably the most responsible for changing them - we went no huddle in '08. But we just don't have the D talent or depth to be dominant, so it becomes more of a chess match than just relying on your guys to out muscle their guys. I find it refreshing that Mike is honest about what we can and can't do. The normal coach speak about "execute better", "tackle better", etc. gets tedious and conveys no information about real strengths and weaknesses.

TCU will be an interesting opponent and very different than the last 3 games. They are a run-first team with a dual threat QB and they play real defense. We're 0-2 against such teams and this gives us another chance to win one of those. They are not as good as KSU or ND, but the difference is not huge and they are at home. Folks that didn't like our last 2 games because they were too close probably won't like this one either. The key on defense will be to stop the run and force their QB to beat us with his arm - the opposite of the last 3 games. The hard part is we play so much man coverage it's hard to keep everything in front of us and force them to run a lot of plays to get down the field. I wish we played more zone. On offense, the key is to figure out their coverage schemes early and to avoid the big mistake. They get pressure on QBs and are good at disguising coverage and even bating QBs into making certain throws. LJ will need to take check downs much more often or throw the ball away because he won't have time to go through a long progression. Well timed screens and draws may prove valuable.

aurorasooner
11/30/2012, 02:43 AM
TCU will be an interesting opponent and very different than the last 3 games. They are a run-first team with a dual threat QB and they play real defense. We're 0-2 against such teams and this gives us another chance to win one of those. They are not as good as KSU or ND, but the difference is not huge and they are at home. Folks that didn't like our last 2 games because they were too close probably won't like this one either. The key on defense will be to stop the run and force their QB to beat us with his arm - the opposite of the last 3 games. The hard part is we play so much man coverage it's hard to keep everything in front of us and force them to run a lot of plays to get down the field. I wish we played more zone. On offense, the key is to figure out their coverage schemes early and to avoid the big mistake. They get pressure on QBs and are good at disguising coverage and even bating QBs into making certain throws. LJ will need to take check downs much more often or throw the ball away because he won't have time to go through a long progression. Well timed screens and draws may prove valuable.I'd feel a lot better about this game if we had a better running game, or more precisely better running play design that wouldn't telegraph where running the ball to the whole defense. It just seems that our run game is too easily shut down by a quality defense with good defensive coaches. This would take a lot of the pressure off Landry and imo, let him grip it and rip down the field to more wide open receivers for a lot of YAC, as well as helping him avoid the big TO plus it would keep our defense rested. Hell, I can't remember when we had a completely wide-open wide receiver that was 10 or 15 yards away from the nearest defender by actual play design unless the defender fell down, (maybe Millard out of the backfield). Hopefully we'll get up on them early and not have to play catch-up the whole game like we had to do against Stool State.

FtwTxSooner
11/30/2012, 06:47 AM
TCU has only allowed 2 Big 12 teams to score above their season average. One was ISU where TCU had 5 turnovers in their first conference game. The other took 3 OT periods to get there. No reason to think we will be any different, but should put up plenty to win.

We will give up 200+ yards rushing. That just can't be accompanied by a bunch of yards through the air.

thecrimsoncrusader
11/30/2012, 08:20 AM
OU biggest problem on defense is not Mike Stoops, nor his scheme or philosophy even in the last two games. It's the fact that Oklahom has the worst group of down linemen and linebackers that they have had in literally decades from a talent standpoint. I'm glad that Oklahama will at least be getting a fresh start with their defensive linemen next season. Will have to wait another season regarding the linebackers. Too many 4 and 5 star busts currently starting. You can start and still be a bust if you aren't getting the job done.

BoulderSooner79
11/30/2012, 09:12 AM
I'd feel a lot better about this game if we had a better running game, or more precisely better running play design that wouldn't telegraph where running the ball to the whole defense. It just seems that our run game is too easily shut down by a quality defense with good defensive coaches. This would take a lot of the pressure off Landry and imo, let him grip it and rip down the field to more wide open receivers for a lot of YAC, as well as helping him avoid the big TO plus it would keep our defense rested. Hell, I can't remember when we had a completely wide-open wide receiver that was 10 or 15 yards away from the nearest defender by actual play design unless the defender fell down, (maybe Millard out of the backfield). Hopefully we'll get up on them early and not have to play catch-up the whole game like we had to do against Stool State.

Well, we have what we have. I do think that going back to Millard out of the backfield or H-back position would be open. If we can get to 100 yds rushing, it might be enough. I see his as a first to 30 kind of game vs. the first to 50 we've been seeing.

Mac94
11/30/2012, 09:42 AM
I expect the Sooner defense to be fine in this game ... TCU has some good receivers but their QB isn't all the good a passer. They'll rely heavy on a ground attack and pass only when needed. The tale of the game will be the Sooner o-line protecting Landry from the TCU defensive front. They'll a talented group that can generate good pressure. If the line can give Landry time ... OU wins comfortably ... if not ... it could be another close one, albeit and lower scoring close one.

rock on sooner
11/30/2012, 10:38 AM
The Sooners give up 200 yds + rushing because those teams are wide
open offenses that put stress on the front seven. WVU ripped us up because
of the 6-7 db set. TCU is more conventional with a pro type set, since they
don't have 4-5 wideout sets to run on every down. I'm thinking that OUr
D will be more successful against the run than most are posting here. And,
unless Patterson has rabbits up his sleeve, we'll get good shots on their
QB for sacks and tfl's (leastwise I'm betting vcash on it..:surprise:)

OkieThunderLion
11/30/2012, 11:22 AM
Fire that stupid Vulnerables!

Dan Thompson
11/30/2012, 11:59 AM
I've noticed how the opponets center seems to be able to take out our MLB on the runs. Maybe we should try a 5 man D line if we have that many fit to play.

ADs_Agent
11/30/2012, 12:13 PM
The problem is not Mike Stoops. The problem is that this is the worst group of linebackers and DLine in the Stoops era. The problem will be getting the defensive recruits to come and play D at OU if the Sooners don't start stopping some people. Maybe the schemes should be simplified and adapted, but you have to have the talent before you have anything else.

BoulderSooner79
11/30/2012, 12:16 PM
The problem is not Mike Stoops. The problem is that this is the worst group of linebackers and DLine in the Stoops era. The problem will be getting the defensive recruits to come and play D at OU if the Sooners don't start stopping some people. Maybe the schemes should be simplified and adapted, but you have to have the talent before you have anything else.

... but I doubt any of this changes the outcome of the TCU game tomorrow.

:D

Jacie
11/30/2012, 01:05 PM

Yes, but that first season he did something pretty radical, he redshirted every player that still had one so that the following season he would have an older, more experienced squad. It worked. The improvement was evident from the second season forward. After his first year, he was able to play kids he had recruited.

ouwasp
11/30/2012, 01:23 PM
I think Boulder may be right about the game being close. Again.

This vexes me. I'm terribly vexed.

Okie35
11/30/2012, 03:14 PM
I expect the Sooner defense to be fine in this game ... TCU has some good receivers but their QB isn't all the good a passer. They'll rely heavy on a ground attack and pass only when needed. The tale of the game will be the Sooner o-line protecting Landry from the TCU defensive front. They'll a talented group that can generate good pressure. If the line can give Landry time ... OU wins comfortably ... if not ... it could be another close one, albeit and lower scoring close one.

No I think the offense will be fine in the long run. The tale will be the defense stopping a mobile QB. They scare me against the defense. Landry is actually on pace to have his best year as a starter believe it or not. His passer rating is better, percentage is better and his ints are down. What's in our favor is the fact we've played better on the road this year. I've never thought I'd see a year we'd be undefeated on the road and have two losses at home at this point in the year.

Okie35
11/30/2012, 03:15 PM
I think Boulder may be right about the game being close. Again.

This vexes me. I'm terribly vexed.

I think we win by 6.

swardboy
11/30/2012, 03:38 PM
If we can just get to overtime....our running game rules!

kevpks
11/30/2012, 05:14 PM
I think we're all business this week. We win by 10+

cjames317
11/30/2012, 05:40 PM
I hope this game will be similar to OUr 2011 game against K State. Their running game gained yardage and kept the score close in the first half, but Klein's passing was awful. Landry went to town in the second half

This year's differences: no Ryan Broyles, Frank Alexander nor Ronnell Lewis.

OkieThunderLion
11/30/2012, 05:49 PM

I think this group of DTs are better than the national title group.

Soonerwake
11/30/2012, 06:41 PM
I think this group of DTs are better than the national title group.

You would think so, but those DTs were more active. This group is almost nonexistent at times.