PDA

View Full Version : The Pirate

rainiersooner
11/29/2012, 01:54 AM
"People don't join football or coach football to see people go out and be lazy. If they wanted it to be comfortable, they wouldn't call it football. They'd call it cuddling." He is a quotable machine.

http://seattletimes.com/html/cougars/2019784214_cougars29.html

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/29/2012, 02:00 AM
Yea Cougs/Husky Charlatans

badger
11/29/2012, 09:13 AM
Here's what preceded the "cuddling" ...

(On motivational tactics now versus 20 years ago, and whether there's something different about players today) “I think guys that really want to play, I think guys that really want to play and are determined to play aren’t going to do anything like that. They’re harder on themselves than their coaches can ever be. My best players were always harder on themselves than a coach ever could be, because they were determined to be good. It was so important to them to be good. One time I actually had a player call out a coach for not getting on him. He made the same mistake several times in the course of a game, and he comes in and he says, 'well did you see that? Why didn’t you tell me? Why didn’t you get on me? That’s embarrassing. That’s on film. That’s me on film making the same mistake over and over again. If you’d told me, I would have changed it.' … Those are the kind of guys that ultimately are the ones that are most successful. I think the social media, I think there’s always been coaches, players, everybody. I think there’s always been a certain amount of whining but I think social media allows the whining to go further and to be louder. That doesn’t change the fact that it needs to be ignored. The players came in and complained about how they were motivated. Well, I don’t know exactly what happened and I don’t know which places you’re referring to but I know this – if a player doesn’t like the way something’s going, he can quit. Why doesn’t he quit? If he doesn’t like football, then maybe he ought to quit, or go find him a team where they don’t coach very hard. Or go find him a team where lackadaisical effort is allowed. Nothing says they have to continue playing. Quit. Instead they want to whine and act like they’re mistreated. These guys, anybody that’s ever accomplished anything has had to do or strive beyond what was comfortable or what was easy and anybody that wants it to be easy and then somebody asks them to do something hard and then they whine about it and all of a sudden the whining’s all justified, that’s crazy. That’s contrary to anything that exists with regard to striving toward a goal, pushing yourself, being successful at any level of achievement or accomplishment that exists. And people don’t join football for the most part, don’t coach football, and don’t watch football to watch people go out there and do things easy and lazy and if they wanted it to be comfortable, they wouldn’t call it football in the first place.”

(What would they call it?) “It wouldn’t be football. Social? Cuddling? They’d call it cuddling. That’s what they’d call it. Cuddling.”
http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2012/nov/28/quotes-leach-says-wilson-has-recanted/

rainiersooner
11/29/2012, 01:11 PM
Long form version is even better. The blue blood old timers in Seattle don't know what to make of Mikey.

badger
11/29/2012, 01:16 PM
Long form version is even better. The blue blood old timers in Seattle don't know what to make of Mikey.

Zombie West Coast media: We must be politically correct. We must be politically correct.

Mike Leach: “Do you want to fight a buffalo? I don't know, those buffalo are big. You know, buffalo are significantly bigger than elk. I grew up near Yellowstone so I've been near buffalo. Buffalo are huge. And then the other thing I've always gotten a kick out of: When you play Colorado, there's those buffalo dragging those six handler around. Those handlers aren't dragging the buffalo. The buffalo's dragging him.

Zombies: ... :confused:

Leach: "He needs to be like those Grizzly bears in Yellowstone Park that start tipping over Dumpsters and throwing garbage out of them at the lodges... Next practice, we're going to stick a Dumpster in front of him."

Zombies: :eek:

Leach: "Some of them have had kind of this zombie-like, go through the motions, everything is like how it's always been, that's how it'll always be. Some of them quite honestly have an empty corpse quality. That's not pleasant to say or pleasant to think about, but that's a fact. That's why it's been necessary for us to have the youth moment that we've had."

Zombies: :mad:

Note: All actual Leach quotes since his Wazzu hiring.

KantoSooner
11/29/2012, 01:20 PM
I love Mike Leach more and more each passing day.

11/29/2012, 01:51 PM
I love Mike Leach more and more each passing day.HCIW for some school

badger
11/29/2012, 01:56 PM
HCIW for some school

not here. he doesn't win enough to appease us crazy fans. however, the big difference between tech and wazzu seems to be admin support. whereas tech admin seemed adamant on low-balling contracts and making mikey submit to their rules and requests, wazzu seems more open to letting mikey steer the ship in the right direction, knowing that ticket sales and wins will eventually follow.

he's like the sen. coburn of college football --- good to have, so long as he's not your own. :P

EatLeadCommie
11/29/2012, 01:58 PM

WSU is in Pullman, which is an entirely different animal than Seattle. It's more like Texas than California in terms of mindset.

SoonerNomad
11/29/2012, 02:18 PM
I try to share Leach's type of sarcasm with my teenagers when I am trying to get them to change behavior. They don't get it either. It is clear that Leach is still trying to get rid of the kids not willing to work hard enough. Good luck to him.

hvhurricane
11/29/2012, 09:59 PM
It is always the player's fault. I am sure Leach had nothing to do with the bad season.
And his comedy act is stupid. One Dad joke after another.

VA Sooner
11/29/2012, 10:23 PM
That Mike Leach... cracks me up.

Unorthodox in his coaching but very effective. Needs to clean out the house of the lazy zombies and bring in kids that really, really want to play. And an O-line with guys the size of buffalo apparently.

olevetonahill
11/29/2012, 10:25 PM
It is always the player's fault. I am sure Leach had nothing to do with the bad season.

Did Mikey Pee in your Post Toasties er sompun?

ouduckhunter
11/29/2012, 11:14 PM
WSU is in Pullman, which is an entirely different animal than Seattle. It's more like Texas than California in terms of mindset.

This is so true! Wazzu is out in the middle of no where, and their only form of entertainment/recreation is drinking! The cheaper the alcohol the better! In Seattle if it's not hip, cool, trendy, or expensive, etc, it's not relevant.

picasso
11/30/2012, 12:23 AM
Well, I"ll wait to judge after he gets a few recruits to play his type of ball. He's proven he can coach and win.

agoo758
11/30/2012, 01:08 AM

Yeah, cause Washington State was a national power when he got there right? Idiot.

11/30/2012, 02:31 AM
not here. he doesn't win enough to appease us crazy fans. however, the big difference between tech and wazzu seems to be admin support. whereas tech admin seemed adamant on low-balling contracts and making mikey submit to their rules and requests, wazzu seems more open to letting mikey steer the ship in the right direction, knowing that ticket sales and wins will eventually follow.

he's like the sen. coburn of college football --- good to have, so long as he's not your own. :PNot to worry. I think Bob Stoops will be at OU at least another 5 yrs.

Seamus
11/30/2012, 05:35 AM
Yeah, cause Washington State was a national power when he got there right? Idiot.

LOL.

Now where's that "popcorn" emoticon hiding?

Oh, yeah -- :pop:

PLaw
11/30/2012, 09:10 PM
Love me some Leach.

Man, I want to engrave that on a plaque for some for some of my direct reports that go and bust their but every day.

Sounds like Roosevelt's speech a the Sonborne in '14.

SoonerStormchaser
11/30/2012, 09:30 PM
Mike Leach invented Sarcastaball!