PDA

View Full Version : Fort Worth Stuff

fwsooner22
11/28/2012, 11:27 AM
The new (upgrade) stadium has caused some changes primarily to parking around the campus at TCU. Like most any campus setting I advise getting there early. Be prepared to pay $40 to park anywhere close. The best place to park is Paschal High School on Berry Street east of the campus. It's $10.00 and TCU proivdes you a shuttle straight to the gate. Then you have an hour after the game to get back to your car.

There a few new restaurants just east of campus along University and Berry. Try the pizza at Buffalo Brothers (cold beer there too). Chef Tim Loves new restaurant the "Woodshed" is awesome and has outdoor dining along the Trinity River. It is located on Riverfront just east of Colonial Country Club. Fuzzys is always a quick option and has great breakfast and BEER.

There is a lot of construction on and around Interstate 30 and University (new Tollroad) and Hulen. That is not the way to approach TCU right now. Use I-35 to Berry and make your way in from the east.

It will be an absolute mess from 10 AM on anywhere near the stadium.

That's my two cents hope that helps. Enjoy.

JohnnyMack
11/28/2012, 11:48 AM
Lunch at Kincaid's

Dinner at Joe T's

Wish I was making the trip down there.

yermom
11/28/2012, 11:57 AM
i'm a little curious about the scalping situation. OU didn't give me tickets, so i'm geussing they are a little sparse.

that's still a pretty small stadium, isn't it?

HToady
11/28/2012, 12:01 PM
I'll add mine since I live a block from the school.

Best kept secret. If coming from I-30, exit Forest Park instead of University then cut over on Park Hill or Berry Street. You might also find parking easier to find on East campus.

Dutch's (next to Buffalo Bros) on University makes a pretty good burger. Since it's an early start you might try Ole South for breakfast, also on University. Joe T's will be insanely crowded.

I will be in Purple, but my son will be in Crimson and Cream. It's all good!

fwsooner22
11/28/2012, 12:47 PM
It is a ridiculously SMALL stadium. Tiny by Big 12 standards. They did milions of dollars of renovations and added literally no seating capacity. Scalping is usually fairly easy most games. I have season tickets to both OU and TCU (albeit cheapy end zone for TCU) and the OU ticket is by far the toughest ticket of the season. If you get there early and don't dress in red you will be able to get a ticket.

fwsooner22
11/28/2012, 01:06 PM
Agree With Toady.....Dutchs is really good and they have BEER.....his route is a good one too IF you are using I-30. Last warning from me though.....Avoid University Drive.

HToady
11/28/2012, 01:32 PM
The new stadium holds 45K. The old one held 47K. There has been occassions in the past where they have sold SRO. A couple of years ago we had 50K for Utah. The new stadium design lends itself to SRO, so you might call the ticket office and see if any SRO tickets are being sold. Maybe yes, maybe no.

The stadium was designed to add an additional 15k upper east side deck....in the future...when all of the non grads of Texas decide to stop wearing burnt orange....

FtwTxSooner
11/28/2012, 01:47 PM
The ticket office is selling standing room only tickets for $50 each.

http://ev9.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=FBI&linkID=tcu&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

All of those stadium upgrades were planned when joining the Big 12 was just a pipe dream for TCU. So a 60k stadium doesn't really make sense for the size of their fan base playing in the MWC.

Now joining the Big 12, they have sold out of season tickets. So hopefully, they'll start thinking about expansion.

fwsooner22
11/28/2012, 02:02 PM
I look forward to the comments on the stadium. It is really cool but they need to add seats immediately. My bet is they will be reluctant to do so because the new seats will not have purple in them on gameday. FtwTx Sooner is correct the renovation did not take place with the Big 12 in mind but then again who renovates a stadium and removes seats ?

StoopTroup
11/28/2012, 02:09 PM
Can't believe we let them into our Conference.

JohnnyMack
11/28/2012, 02:09 PM

Just wait til we add Cincy and Houston...

jkjsooner
11/28/2012, 02:20 PM
who renovates a stadium and removes seats ?

OU in '98. We went from 75004 to 72765.

spatton713
11/28/2012, 02:28 PM
Fred's Texas Café
915 Currie St.
Fort Worth, Texas 76107

this place is the ****...

or jj's oyster bar off university as well

HToady
11/28/2012, 03:26 PM

Yea....UT doesn't like us either

fwsooner22
11/28/2012, 04:24 PM
The '98 renovation was mandated by Federal ADA standards. That's kinda the antithesis of renovating to provide luxury suites and clubs for the rich froggy fan (which I know we have done too) while removing seats for the average fan.

BajaOklahoma
11/28/2012, 06:47 PM
We were offered SRO seats for 65 each. Ummm, no. So we ended up with 10 seats together. :)

I haven't been there since renovation started. Are they still selling beer? You used to be able to pay for cheap seats and move down by the end of the first quarter.
Parking is a *itch at the best of times at TCU.

Second on avoiding University and going in from the east or even the west.

Phil
11/28/2012, 07:21 PM
I've got an extra ticket if anyone needs one.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/28/2012, 08:08 PM
Can't believe we let them into our Conference.If we had to let in a tx school, it would have been much better to have a Houston school, rather than Dallas, to not mess up our recruiting as badly as it has/will.

owenfieldreams
11/28/2012, 08:22 PM
Joe T's is a totally overrated tourist trap that is hardly better than Taco Bell. Noone down here think's it's worth a damn. There are literally thousands of Mexican restaurants in Texas that are better.

I personally recommend the chicken fired steak @ Herb's Cafe.

HToady
11/29/2012, 10:59 AM
Joe T's is a totally overrated tourist trap that is hardly better than Taco Bell. Noone down here think's it's worth a damn. There are literally thousands of Mexican restaurants in Texas that are better.

I very much agree. People must go there because they love crowds!

But if you just happen to love their food (and hate crowds) you can get the exact same food at Esparanzas on Park Place. Owned by Joe Ts.

I do love their refried beans though...

Phil
11/29/2012, 01:29 PM
Joe T's is meh, except for their corn tortillas. Best I've ever had.

EatLeadCommie
11/29/2012, 01:41 PM
Yeah I've never understood the fascination with Joe T's, apart from the atmosphere of the restaurant itself (not the wait), which is pretty cool. Don't they pretty much have two items on the menu?

5noubus
11/29/2012, 05:13 PM
Does anyone know where Rv parking is?

fwsooner22
11/30/2012, 11:24 AM
5n - You can park your RV at Paschal High School east of TCU on Berry. You can stay overnight there too.

colleyvillesooner
11/30/2012, 02:08 PM
May have an extra in the OU section for sale. Brother under the weather. Will post for sure later today.

fwsooner22
11/30/2012, 03:01 PM
JUst heard OU band will be rehearsing on Paschal HS football field at 9 AM.

colleyvillesooner
11/30/2012, 03:07 PM
how long do you think from parking at paschal to getting in the gate via the shuttle. we can't get to parking area till around 10

fwsooner22
11/30/2012, 03:25 PM
colleyville......less than 15 minutes......shuttles run pretty quick.....if you are coming then....I guarantee its your best bet.

colleyvillesooner
11/30/2012, 04:25 PM
great thanks.

Pooty Pootpoot
12/2/2012, 10:56 PM
Did anyone eat lunch or dinner at the three story Monterey House in the stadium's end zone?

tycat947
12/3/2012, 01:45 PM

I second that!!!