PDA

View Full Version : Justin Manning Commited?

rdusooner
11/27/2012, 07:38 PM
He justed tweeted "Boomer!!!" with an OU logo pic. His twitter is @JustinGranger

8timechamps
11/27/2012, 08:34 PM
There is some rumblings...I think it's a done deal. We told a couple of DEs "thanks, but no thanks" this afternoon, telling them that the numbers had changed and we were "full". There was mention that a DE recruit was going to be moved inside to DT if Manning didn't commit. I think that changed.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/27/2012, 08:42 PM
Rivals still has him as uncommitted, as does Scout:

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=11&cfg=null&sFirstName=Justin+&sLastName=+Manning&yr=2013

8timechamps
11/27/2012, 09:10 PM
Rivals still has him as uncommitted, as does Scout:

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=11&cfg=null&sFirstName=Justin+&sLastName=+Manning&yr=2013

Yeah, nothing official, but something is definitely going on. We've been after Dymira Mixon for a long while, and he's been to a couple of home games (and decommitted from ASU), and we told him today that we were no longer looking for DE commits. He was being considered as possibly moving to DT.

OU_Sooners75
11/28/2012, 12:06 AM
I have a weird feeling...

That feeling is this, Manning is going to commit on Friday (unless he postpones it again). Then Toby Johnson and his current teammate Ben Bradley will commit as well.

Today, Johnson has backed off the recruiting circuit. He is just sitting back and relaxing right now. He told rivals to set every team equal. No more high leans to Tennessee or Georgia.

Bradley has said he is still commited to Tennessee, but its soft at best.

Hmmmm if OU lands these guys, it will be the best recruiting DL since the Selmon brothers came to OU. At least on paper!

8timechamps
11/28/2012, 02:34 PM
Manning says he's announcing on December 7th. I will be floored if he isn't a Sooner by December 8th.

8timechamps
12/2/2012, 02:19 PM
Manning has moved his announcement up a day, to Thursday the 6th. I think it's down to OU and A&M. A&M already has 4 DTs signed, so it's really hard to imagine Manning NOT being a Sooner.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/2/2012, 06:27 PM
Manning has moved his announcement up a day, to Thursday the 6th. I think it's down to OU and A&M. A&M already has 4 DTs signed, so it's really hard to imagine Manning NOT being a Sooner.We badly need to gash those essoB's in the cotton.

IslandSooner
12/2/2012, 07:14 PM
Yes...... A cotton bowl win would be huge!

OUNASH
12/5/2012, 05:27 AM
Read on another board that he is commiting to A&M. Hope this isnt true.

LRoss
12/5/2012, 08:43 AM
Seems to me to be a lot of conflicting information on this, people who claim to "know" saying OU or aTm. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

8timechamps
12/5/2012, 07:24 PM

Just a rumor. Manning's girlfriend got a scholly to play b-ball at A&M, so a lot of folks are assuming he will follow her there. Not necessarily true according to Manning.

With the quantity and quality of DTs already signed for A&M, I'd still be surprised if he doesn't commit to OU.

rdusooner
12/6/2012, 09:06 AM

Just a rumor. Manning's girlfriend got a scholly to play b-ball at A&M, so a lot of folks are assuming he will follow her there. Not necessarily true according to Manning.

With the quantity and quality of DTs already signed for A&M, I'd still be surprised if he doesn't commit to OU.

This would really suck

rdusooner
12/6/2012, 09:27 AM
Is he still scheduled to announce today?

Ruf/Nek7
12/6/2012, 03:50 PM
Yes, will be announcing here in the next hour or so.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/6/2012, 04:06 PM
Wow, aTm is taking this SEC thing seriously. Do they really already have 32 commits?

Always_Sooner
12/6/2012, 04:15 PM
I see on Soonerscoop. I sure hope OU lands him, along with the two JUCO DT's.

Always_Sooner
12/6/2012, 04:42 PM
Any word yet?

8timechamps
12/6/2012, 04:45 PM
Nothing yet....announcement soon...

rdusooner
12/6/2012, 05:15 PM
A&M. Son of a B*TCH!

8timechamps
12/6/2012, 05:16 PM
Lost him to A&M! wow!

Ruf/Nek7
12/6/2012, 05:16 PM
And now I worry about this class. Not panicked, just scratching my head.

JiminyChristmas
12/6/2012, 05:18 PM
Proof again that we should have gone to the SEC when we had a chance. The importance that conference plays in the minds of big time recruits is almost impossible to overcome right now.

Herr Scholz
12/6/2012, 05:18 PM
Surprised on that one. Guess he never got over his hurt feelings. Sounds like a prima donna.

Always_Sooner
12/6/2012, 05:21 PM
OU better find some DT's or they are in trouble.

Herr Scholz
12/6/2012, 05:22 PM
If true, what a dick...

Jeff Tarpley @TarpRivals
Manning takes the OU hat puts on takes it of puts on the #TAMU hat

rdusooner
12/6/2012, 05:23 PM
If true, what a dick...

Jeff Tarpley @TarpRivals
Manning takes the OU hat puts on takes it of puts on the #TAMU hat

Just saw the video, he is a dick

stoops the eternal pimp
12/6/2012, 05:31 PM
lol...

Mjcpr
12/6/2012, 05:31 PM
Just saw the video, he is a dick

I wouldn't call names...a lot of them do that sort of thing these days. Sometimes they pick us and sometimes they pick someone else. We just weren't the right hat this time.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/6/2012, 05:32 PM
or maybe he chose the wrong hat? Or maybe the OU hat was the wrong color?

8timechamps
12/6/2012, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't call names...a lot of them do that sort of thing these days. Sometimes they pick us and sometimes they pick someone else. We just weren't the right hat this time.

Yep, this happens all the time.

There are still some very good DTs out there. This one was just more of a surprise.

8timechamps
12/6/2012, 05:33 PM
Holy cow is A&M cleaning up in this class. Kevin Sumlin is the greatest thing that ever happened to A&M.

cjames317
12/6/2012, 05:40 PM

Amen.

Do you trust this kid's foresight? “They have a lot of talent there, and I feel like I can get a national championship at least three years,” Manning said.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/6/2012, 05:42 PM
So as of now, Jackie Shipp's last big recruiting win was JaMarkus McFarland...Hmmm.

8timechamps
12/6/2012, 05:48 PM
So as of now, Jackie Shipp's last big recruiting win was JaMarkus McFarland...Hmmm.

I'm sure there's gonna be some heat on him if he can't pick up one of the remaining big DTs left. And in all honesty, I don't think we're at the top of any of their lists.

I never call for heads to roll, but he's really had a tough time landing DTs, and not just this year. As you said, McFarland was his last "big time" hit.

Mac94
12/6/2012, 05:49 PM
Kevin Sumlin is the greatest thing that ever happened to A&M.

Time will tell but so far so good. It's been a LONG time since A&M has been this well covered ... gotten this much positive press ... been one of the big stories in college football. A really long time.

8timechamps
12/6/2012, 05:51 PM
Time will tell but so far so good. It's been a LONG time since A&M has been this well covered ... gotten this much positive press ... been one of the big stories in college football. A really long time.

You guys gotta be pumped about the future! Even if Manning doesn't pan out, you've got 4 other DTs signed in this class (and a crap load of other players). Congrats.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/6/2012, 05:53 PM
I'm sure there's gonna be some heat on him if he can't pick up one of the remaining big DTs left. And in all honesty, I don't think we're at the top of any of their lists.

I never call for heads to roll, but he's really had a tough time landing DTs, and not just this year. As you said, McFarland was his last "big time" hit.

We don't need him to get the "big time" hits. We need him to get guys who are not going to be the worst unit in our conference. Sad part about it is the Texas fans are saying the same thing about their DT coach. Both of us are pretty good at DE and absolutely horrid at DT.

8timechamps
12/6/2012, 06:00 PM
We don't need him to get the "big time" hits. We need him to get guys who are not going to be the worst unit in our conference. Sad part about it is the Texas fans are saying the same thing about their DT coach. Both of us are pretty good at DE and absolutely horrid at DT.

I'm sure it's not as easy as it once was to recruit great defensive talent to Norman (or the Big XII in general), but you'd think OU could land a guy like Manning without too much extra effort. There are a couple of 3 star kids that are eager to get an OU offer, and I'm a believer that unless you're an elite 5 star kind of kid (Adrian Peterson, Tommie Harris), there's always a shot to get a really good player, and some of the underrated 3 star kids can become great players.

Mac94
12/6/2012, 06:02 PM
How many slots does OU have this year? Will Stoops take a full 25?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/6/2012, 06:06 PM
I'm sure it's not as easy as it once was to recruit great defensive talent to Norman (or the Big XII in general), but you'd think OU could land a guy like Manning without too much extra effort. There are a couple of 3 star kids that are eager to get an OU offer, and I'm a believer that unless you're an elite 5 star kind of kid (Adrian Peterson, Tommie Harris), there's always a shot to get a really good player, and some of the underrated 3 star kids can become great players.

8x I just posted on the All Big 12 thread. MOST of those kids were not highly recruited. What we need is a DL coach who is willing to EVALUATE talent and not go for stars (that mostly don't pan out anyway).

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/6/2012, 06:14 PM
How many slots does OU have this year? Will Stoops take a full 25?

I think last count they had room for 23 which means he could take 25 if he wanted. In general, the class looks about where I'd like to see it -> a TON of "eval" picks that no one else wants. Under Stoops, these have traditionally been our bread and butter guys (Iglesias, Lehman, Bradford, Clayton, etc). The problem is that we have a couple of position coaches who just can't evaluate guys. They are seriously 5* guy or guy who doesn't even belong in D1. Unfortunately for us, one of those position coaches is over our DTs.

Mac94
12/6/2012, 06:20 PM
I take it position coaches recruit for their position only? I ask that because Manning was recruiting by our WR coach ... I thought coaches usually had territory rather than position in terms of recruiting.

I do hear youo on OU's best teams have seemed to be led by "lesser" recruited guys who were hungry. 2000 was full of them .... no one wanted Q and he was great in the old offensive scheme.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/6/2012, 06:23 PM
I take it position coaches recruit for their position only? I ask that because Manning was recruiting by our WR coach ... I thought coaches usually had territory rather than position in terms of recruiting.

I do hear youo on OU's best teams have seemed to be led by "lesser" recruited guys who were hungry. 2000 was full of them .... no one wanted Q and he was great in the old offensive scheme.

They are stack ranked by the position coach and then recruited by whoever has that area (which I believe is Kish and Wright for Texas). The problem with Shipp is that his stack ranks seem to look exactly like the Rivals Rankings and when they get on the field they suck eggs.

Mac94
12/6/2012, 06:30 PM
I would assume Bobby Jack would handle Texas ... he was a big time recruiter back at Texas (went to the same church as the Wright's when he was on staff at Texas).

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/6/2012, 06:41 PM
I would assume Bobby Jack would handle Texas ... he was a big time recruiter back at Texas (went to the same church as the Wright's when he was on staff at Texas).

He used to split it with Venables which is why I assumed Kish took it over.

My personal opinion in seeing the results of our Texas players over the last 5 years is that you need to take a LONGGGG look at anyone in the top 100 before you take them. They just aren't anywhere near as athletic as the guys from the early 2000's and you have a LOT more guys coming out of the woodwork that are "lower" ranked and end up being better players. I also think that getting OL/DTs from Cali and Florida (and Kansas strangely) is a much lower risk than taking them from Texas. The move of Texas HSs to the spread seems to have made it 10x harder on evaluators to pick out the guys who will get better at the college level.

Our horn fans can complain all they want about their coaching, but Kenny Vaccarro is much less athletic now than he was 2 years ago and he doesn't look like he has gained more than 10 lbs.

8timechamps
12/6/2012, 08:53 PM
8x I just posted on the All Big 12 thread. MOST of those kids were not highly recruited. What we need is a DL coach who is willing to EVALUATE talent and not go for stars (that mostly don't pan out anyway).

Yep. Recruiting rankings/stars are a crap shoot anyway. There are the few exceptions that are elite players, but otherwise it almost always comes down to coaching and whether or not the kid wants to put in the work.

Like I said earlier, I'm never one to call for a coaches firing, but something may need to be done when things get like this.

8timechamps
12/6/2012, 08:56 PM
I think last count they had room for 23 which means he could take 25 if he wanted. In general, the class looks about where I'd like to see it -> a TON of "eval" picks that no one else wants. Under Stoops, these have traditionally been our bread and butter guys (Iglesias, Lehman, Bradford, Clayton, etc). The problem is that we have a couple of position coaches who just can't evaluate guys. They are seriously 5* guy or guy who doesn't even belong in D1. Unfortunately for us, one of those position coaches is over our DTs.

I'm in complete agreement with you.

We have/had 81 on scholarship with 17 seniors. Not sure how the Reynolds/Franks or Williams/Powell things will work out, but we are right around 22-23 available, with 14 committed. Right now, still room for 10, but I doubt we close out the class with a full 85.