PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Mark Stoops, new Kentucky Head coach!

stoops the eternal pimp
11/27/2012, 02:47 PM
Hope you do better than anyone else who has coached there the last 30 years.

Jacie
11/27/2012, 02:52 PM
Well, Mike Leach managed to parlay a job there into a similar position (OC) at Oklahoma so it doesn't have to be the black hole of coaching jobs (New Mexico already owns that distinction).

lBut it is a place where success is measured by which SEC teams they manage to record an upset win against.

If Vanderbilt ever starts to win consistently, it is going to be pretty lonely at the bottom of the standings for em . . .

SoonerNomad
11/27/2012, 03:03 PM
I went to look for this and couldn't find anything. I have heard he is on their list of petential candidates, but I would be surprised if this happens. Bob Stoops did a great job of waiting until an opening came at a place where the school and administration supported football at the highest levels. Mike Stoops jumped too quickly and went to a basketball school where football is second fiddle. Mark Stoops should learn from his brothers. At Kentucky they have enough fiddles (and banjos) already. Football doesn't even get a spot in the band.

kevpks
11/27/2012, 03:09 PM
I went to look for this and couldn't find anything. I have heard he is on their list of petential candidates, but I would be surprised if this happens. Bob Stoops did a great job of waiting until an opening came at a place where the school and administration supported football at the highest levels. Mike Stoops jumped too quickly and went to a basketball school where football is second fiddle. Mark Stoops should learn from his brothers. At Kentucky they have enough fiddles (and banjos) already. Football doesn't even get a spot in the band.

CBS, ESPN, everyone is reporting it.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21161968/report-mark-stoops-hired-as-kentucky-head-coach

SoonerNomad
11/27/2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks kevpks. I went to si.com and cfn.com. Looks like I will have to change my go to sites for the lastest news.

I don't understand it. You cannot win at Kentucky.

TanTanFeil
11/27/2012, 03:13 PM
It's going to be tough for him to recruit and win there. But let's see how he does. Wish him all the best luck!!

tycat947
11/27/2012, 03:22 PM
It's going to be tough for him to recruit and win there. But let's see how he does. Wish him all the best luck!!

This^^^^^! VERY tough. Good luck to Mark!

bluedogok
11/27/2012, 03:29 PM
Thanks kevpks. I went to si.com and cfn.com. Looks like I will have to change my go to sites for the lastest news.

You don't have to win it all at Kentucky, just win ENOUGH and good jobs will come looking for you. Being above .500 at Kentucky while in the SEC will get you interest from good jobs. Like the SEC post elsewhere, schedule mostly cupcakes out of conference and if you have a favorable out of division schedule you can achieve that.

Seamus
11/27/2012, 03:31 PM
If Vanderbilt ever starts to win consistently, it is going to be pretty lonely at the bottom of the standings for em . . .

They'll have Missouri to keep them company.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/27/2012, 03:57 PM
Hopefully, Bob has left him enough family members/childhood buddies to fill out his staff.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/27/2012, 04:38 PM

Was he runned off from FSU?

Breadburner
11/27/2012, 04:45 PM
I think he should have waited....

stoops the eternal pimp
11/27/2012, 04:53 PM

He had one of the nation's top defenses and was/is a candidate for top assistant award..so my response is probably no.

HToady
11/27/2012, 05:02 PM
He will have Ashley Judd to help with recruiting!

TheHumanAlphabet
11/27/2012, 05:03 PM
He had one of the nation's top defenses and was/is a candidate for top assistant award..so my response is probably no.

There was talk that his defenses allowed several high scoring games against him and lost to FL. So that is why I ask.

SoonerNomad
11/27/2012, 05:10 PM

This is an interesting question. If everything was fine at FSU, or if he considered himself a candidate at other places, I wonder why he jumped at this particular job. Why not wait this out. In the SEC alone I would rather have Tennessee or Arkansas (I wouldn't touch the unrealistic expectations in Auburn), but there are other jobs either out there or will be out there. Maybe I just think since he is a Stoops he would have more options and that just isn't the case.

I wish him luck. FSU fans like him and the results have been an improvement. I know the game against UF was a disappointment, but even most of those points were given up on a short field. I just don't think this job is good enough for a Stoops. I am probably wrong.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/27/2012, 05:11 PM
They gave up over 30 pts only twice this year...He took them from 108th when he started to 2nd total defense...People talking like that are full of da stupid

aurorasooner
11/27/2012, 05:37 PM
It'll be interesting to see who Mark's staff will be (Mangino possibly), and also what kind of contract UK gave him. He can probably always go back to a DC position, so if they offered him big bucks and gave him enough money for a quality staff, why not. If they got him for cheap, then I'd suspect that there was some kind of push down at FSU to get him out, especially how quickly he took the UK job.
Just looking at the UK schedule, they have UF, Alabama at home, and have to travel to South Carolina, and Georgia which are probably losses, but the rest of their schedule looks manageable. That 3 week stretch against UF, USCe, and Alabama is a killer.
Aug. 31 — x-Western Kentucky

Sept. 7 — MIAMI (OHIO)

Sept. 14 — LOUISVILLE

Sept. 28 — FLORIDA

Oct. 5 — At South Carolina

Oct. 12 — ALABAMA

Oct. 26 — At Mississippi State

Nov. 2 — ALABAMA STATE

Nov. 9 — MISSOURI

Nov. 16 — At Vanderbilt

Nov. 23 — At Georgia

Nov. 30 — TENNESSEE

MichiganSooner
11/27/2012, 06:28 PM

Just heard it on channel 8, KTUL, in Tulsa, at end of the local news. Good luck, Mark!

Sabanball
11/27/2012, 06:30 PM
Definitely a coaching graveyard, but could be a stepping stone to something better. Our own Coach Bear Bryant even knew when to get out of Lexington.

StoopTroup
11/27/2012, 06:34 PM
I bet he's just fine there.

Best of luck to Mark.

redkid
11/27/2012, 09:55 PM
Is he a better HC than brother Mike,,doubt it but time will tell,,if it doesn't work out I bet big bro Bob will bring him in as co def cord,wouldn't that be something 3 brothers on the same staff,,

stoops the eternal pimp
11/28/2012, 12:02 AM
Mark has better self control than Mike, and that will go a long way in being a better HC..

sooneron
11/28/2012, 10:22 AM
^THIS

If he can win 7 games a year and make them competitive in the losses, he will get offers from bigger football schools.

Curly Bill
11/28/2012, 11:44 AM
Congrats on getting a head coaching job and all, but yeah...good luck with all that football success you're likely to have at Kentucky.

SoonerOX
11/28/2012, 02:29 PM
Good luck, Mark! Yer gonna need it!

StoopTroup
11/28/2012, 03:04 PM
Mark has better self control than Mike, and that will go a long way in being a better HC..

It's possible he's even better than Bob. If he brings the Wildcats to the top of the SEC....he will be able to pick what University he wants or he might even do like Bob and stay and make a career out of the place that gave him the shot as HC.

Scott D
11/28/2012, 03:19 PM
actually at Kentucky, beat Tennessee and maintain a middle of the pack status is enough for cult status for the football program.

sooneron
11/28/2012, 03:55 PM
actually at Kentucky, beat Tennessee and maintain a middle of the pack status is enough for cult status for the football program.

Tru dat. They won 7 or more from 2006-2009. So, it's do-able.

If I were him, I'd install a no huddle spread just to **** off Nick Satan.

MyT Oklahoma
11/28/2012, 11:23 PM
Definitely a coaching graveyard, but could be a stepping stone to something better. Our own Coach Bear Bryant even knew when to get out of Lexington.

Amen and my first thought exactly. Hopefully Mark will do well enough long enough to move on. But at his age it was past time to get that first head coaching job.

Best of wishes to him unless we have to play them.

Scott D
11/29/2012, 12:59 AM
Amen and my first thought exactly. Hopefully Mark will do well enough long enough to move on. But at his age it was past time to get that first head coaching job.

Best of wishes to him unless we have to play them.

at his age? He's got what, 20 years on Norm Chow? :D