PDA

View Full Version : Heisman: Lesser of two evils?

badger
11/27/2012, 02:22 PM
LESSER OF TWO EVILS???

First, vote for either "a freshman" or "a defensive player."

Then, vote for "A Texas A&M freshman" or "A Domer defensive player"

Vote for the two you could live with over the other.

Scott D
11/27/2012, 02:35 PM
I voted for Braxton Miller.

EatLeadCommie
11/27/2012, 02:42 PM
Manziel is as deserving as anybody else this year, if not more so. It has been a weak year for candidates.

Scott D
11/27/2012, 02:45 PM
he may be just as deserving, but you'd have to see a philisophical change from the older heisman voters for him to garner the needed votes to win. the only real saving grace right now may be that the west coast voters are likely to split votes between Kenjon Barner and Marquis Lee.

badger
11/27/2012, 05:10 PM
I'll do an actual Heisman poll next week. Right now, let's determine what is less evil! :)

SicEmBaylor
11/27/2012, 05:18 PM
The last option.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/27/2012, 05:23 PM
I have not been this disinterested in the heisman since troy smith in 2006.

70sooner
11/27/2012, 05:58 PM
I dunno, Johnny Football pretty much shat the bed vs LSU.

One game can ruin a Heisman hopeful, we all know that....

StoopTroup
11/27/2012, 06:14 PM

Who's Troy Smith? :D

EatLeadCommie
11/27/2012, 06:58 PM
I dunno, Johnny Football pretty much shat the bed vs LSU.

One game can ruin a Heisman hopeful, we all know that....

Yes he did, but he has been pretty exceptional otherwise. And as I said, it's a bad year for candidacies.

8timechamps
11/27/2012, 07:15 PM
If Adrian Peterson couldn't win the Heisman his freshman year (because he was a freshman), then Manzel shouldn't win it either. Although he's probably more deserving than Tao.

How the hell was Landry knocked out and never mentioned again?!

Scott D
11/28/2012, 12:14 AM
If Adrian Peterson couldn't win the Heisman his freshman year (because he was a freshman), then Manzel shouldn't win it either. Although he's probably more deserving than Tao.

How the hell was Landry knocked out and never mentioned again?!

the fickleness that is ESPN pretty much buried Landry after the UTEP game.

goingoneight
11/28/2012, 12:51 AM
Landry needs to fire off about eleven TDs and run in three more this weekend for ESPN to even go "oh, hey... that guy has been pretty good."

Salt City Sooner
11/28/2012, 12:56 AM
I held out 3 years longer before landing in the same boat. That award by its own description is supposed to be given to "The most outstanding player" in college football, & with all apologies to Mr. Ingram, in 2009 that was Suh, period.

jk the sooner fan
11/28/2012, 08:22 AM
i feel bad for Colin Klein - before the Baylor game everybody is saying he's the clear front runner - so he loses a game and drops out of the discussion and the hot player Johnny Football is now everbody's favorite

but he's lost TWO games

the Heisman has become a shell of what it used to be.....truly i'd give it to the ND kid

badger
11/28/2012, 09:07 AM
He could still have his Heisman moment against UT. You know that ESPN will highlight that game with their Bevo dealio :rolleyes:

I'll see who the hypesman invites to New York and then do another poll next week.

BigTip
11/28/2012, 09:11 AM
Ya know.........sometimes seasons just don't play out well. The whole national champ thing, the BCS bowl stuff, and this Heisman dilemma.
Just NOTHING is good about it. It is just stomach churning to see that no matter what happens, good things are going to happen to those that you have always wished ill-will on.

sigh

achiro
11/28/2012, 09:50 AM
i feel bad for Colin Klein - before the Baylor game everybody is saying he's the clear front runner - so he loses a game and drops out of the discussion and the hot player Johnny Football is now everbody's favorite

but he's lost TWO games

the Heisman has become a shell of what it used to be.....truly i'd give it to the ND kid
Yep. But it's the by gawd sec.

thecrimsoncrusader
11/28/2012, 09:56 AM
A lot of people think Vince Young should have won the Heisman and Johnny Manziel's numbers are even better than Vince Young's was who was a junior. AD should have gotten the Heisman as a freshman, but so should Johnny Manziel. The kid has the numbers on the ground and in the air and has a signature win and the two losses were by a combined single digits.

MichiganSooner
11/28/2012, 11:17 AM
Tao gets my vote. Defense is the reason ND is undefeated and he is their best player. Defensive players have won it before.

BillyBall
11/28/2012, 11:21 AM
One thing is for sure, since Klein and Tao will both be invited there will be plenty of highlights from our games. Just like last year with Griffin...

Scott D
11/28/2012, 11:45 AM
Te'o has more highlights from the Michigan game ;)

achiro
11/28/2012, 12:34 PM
Will Klein be back in the discussion after he dismantles Texas?

jkjsooner
11/28/2012, 02:27 PM
Manziel is as deserving as anybody else this year, if not more so. It has been a weak year for candidates.

Would he be deserving if he played in the Big 12. Is he that good or did he just prove that the SEC is as vulnerable to wide open offenses as anyone else?

Maybe it's just bitterness on my part but I still say that if AD wasn't given the trophy his freshman year than Manziel shouldn't be able to win it either.

I know that just perpetuates the problem but for consistency reasons I believe we should follow historic trends.

All that being said, Peterson probably wins the Heisman in 2004 if he didn't split votes with Jason White. That hurt him probably as much as being a freshman. (Leinart split some with Bush but not as much.)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/28/2012, 02:39 PM
I have not been this disinterested in the heisman since troy smith in 2006.They should cancel the award this year.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/28/2012, 02:41 PM
Ya know.........sometimes seasons just don't play out well. The whole national champ thing, the BCS bowl stuff, and this Heisman dilemma.
Just NOTHING is good about it. It is just stomach churning to see that no matter what happens, good things are going to happen to those that you have always wished ill-will on.

sigh"

8timechamps
11/28/2012, 02:44 PM
Will Klein be back in the discussion after he dismantles Texas?

I think he'll need a really big game against Texas to make a move. He'll be in NYC, but unless he goes off against the horns, he'll just be a spectator.

Scott D
11/28/2012, 03:15 PM
The other question that comes into play. Do you want to vote for a freshman QB on a 10-2 team who had the "latest heisman moment", in comparison to say, a solid QB who had 11 strong games, or a running back on a team that was so dominant for most of the season that he rarely played more than a half and still put up ridiculous numbers. Do voters go back to the kind of mindset that gave the trophy to a Ron Dayne?

My problem with the way that ESPN unfairly appears to influence matters is their way of making it a "Johnny Come Lately" trophy. It's no longer about who is the best player in the game, or who is the most impressive player or the most outstanding player. It's become a who is the flashiest player lately award. That is where the Heisman can potentially fail.

thecrimsoncrusader
11/28/2012, 03:43 PM
Manziel has 3000+ passing yards and 1000+ rushing yards and his overall numbers are better than Vince Young's 2005 season. In ATM's two losses, they were by a combined total of single digits against two teams ranked in the Top 10. He should win it on numbers alone, but so should of AD.

8timechamps
11/28/2012, 03:59 PM
The other question that comes into play. Do you want to vote for a freshman QB on a 10-2 team who had the "latest heisman moment", in comparison to say, a solid QB who had 11 strong games, or a running back on a team that was so dominant for most of the season that he rarely played more than a half and still put up ridiculous numbers. Do voters go back to the kind of mindset that gave the trophy to a Ron Dayne?

My problem with the way that ESPN unfairly appears to influence matters is their way of making it a "Johnny Come Lately" trophy. It's no longer about who is the best player in the game, or who is the most impressive player or the most outstanding player. It's become a who is the flashiest player lately award. That is where the Heisman can potentially fail.

It should be called the ESPN Heisman trophy. It's no longer about the most outstanding player. It's about the most hyped player.

Scott D
11/28/2012, 04:13 PM
Manziel has 3000+ passing yards and 1000+ rushing yards and his overall numbers are better than Vince Young's 2005 season. In ATM's two losses, they were by a combined total of single digits against two teams ranked in the Top 10. He should win it on numbers alone, but so should of AD.

doesn't matter, using the ESPN criteria, Manziel should have been out of it after the Florida game, definitely after the LSU game. He just has the most recent "heisman moment" out of the "remaining candidates". If we had lost to ND this past Saturday instead of when we did, Manti Te'o would be the one that the talking heads would have been slobbering over. If Geno Smith had lit up Baylor this past Saturday instead of early in the season he'd be the one they'd be slobbering over, etc. etc.

nutinbutdust
11/28/2012, 08:33 PM
I voted for Te'o. I don't think having a single "Heisman moment" against Bama while ESPiN was busy performing felacio on the SEC, qualifies anyone for the award.

Scott D
11/29/2012, 12:53 AM
Another amusing thing...why was Tahj Boyd "under the radar/out of it" until he had that 8 TD performance a few weeks ago against NC State? Hell, he performed fairly well in their big conference loss to FSU. More of how bad ESPN influence has gotten on this award.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/29/2012, 09:25 AM
More of how bad ESPN influence has gotten on this award.

Thread winner.

Just give it to Joe Mantegna already.