PDA

View Full Version : Annual Conference Realignment Thread

Scott D
11/27/2012, 01:38 PM
Since coaching changes aren't the only thing that spread like wildfire this time of the season.

All to take effect in 2014
Maryland from ACC to Big 10.
Rutgers from Big East to Big 10.
Notre Dame partially to ACC (football only required to play half an ACC schedule while remaining 'independent'. Allegedly ND is now watching to see what the ACC will do with concern of Maryland's departure)
Tulane and East Carolina from Conference USA to Big East in 2014
Louisville from Big East to ACC in 2014
Middle Tenn. St. and Florida Atlantic from Sunbelt to Conference USA

Other previous moves.
Syracuse and Pitt from Big East to ACC in 2013 (or was it 14?)
BYU from MWC to Independent (may return to MWC due to BCS changes that give MWC as much of a shot for a BCS bowl as a Big East champion)

Rumored moves.
UConn, Cincinnati from Big East to ACC (seems that the most likely move is UConn solo to replace Maryland)
Cincinnati from Big East to Big 12 (it's possible with WVU having begun a footprint in that part of the country)
The SMU rumor is floating out there again (undoubtedly started once again by SMU people) to the Big 12
Florida State and Clemson rumors float toward both the Big 12 and the SEC

Conference Realignment from 2012 through potentially 2015 (http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/18089469/conference-realignment-recap-whos-where-in-2012-2013-and-beyond)

sooneron
11/27/2012, 01:43 PM
I could see Houston going to the Big 12 before SMU and I'm not sure how unhappy UH is with Conf USA.

Scott D
11/27/2012, 01:50 PM
There's also that rumored "Super Super Conference" agreement that the MWC and Conf. USA are trying to get together, but doesn't work in any equitable manner.

Jacie
11/27/2012, 02:48 PM
I could see Houston going to the Big 12 before SMU and I'm not sure how unhappy UH is with Conf USA.

I thought there was a moratorium on anymore schools from Texas joining the Big XII a la sa*et not wanting anymore in-state competion but then I was surprised that TCU was allowed in . . .

deweydw
11/27/2012, 03:35 PM
I think Louisville and Cincinnati would be a good fit in the Big 12. SMU and UH not so much. But with them, Kansas would no longer be the whipping boy of the Big 12.

kevpks
11/27/2012, 03:46 PM
If we can't get any ACC teams, just take Cincy, Louisville, Central Florida and South Florida. I'd take the last two just for the recruiting and the road trips. All four are decent enough to not be completely embarrassing.

badger
11/27/2012, 03:48 PM
I hear that with the new playoff dealio (where only ACC, Big12 B1G, Pac-12 and SEC get auto bids and the last spot goes to anyone from Big East, MWC, C-USA or a few others) that some Big East bolters (Boise and SDSU especially) are re-thinking.

jkjsooner
11/27/2012, 04:15 PM
Florida State and Clemson rumors float toward both the Big 12 and the SEC

Luckily for either the Big 12 or the ACC, Florida and South Carolina are going to do everything in their power to keep these teams from going to the SEC.

Georgia Tech is in the same boat although there is some history there that may prevent them from ever going back to the SEC.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/27/2012, 04:20 PM

They aren't happy and a Big 12 invite would make their wildest dreams of relevancy come true...

badger
11/27/2012, 05:14 PM
They aren't happy and a Big 12 invite would make their wildest dreams of relevancy come true...

they're already going to the big east, so unless they plan to go back on their planned exit of c-usa, then... well, let's face it! Is the Big 12 even interested in yet another Texas school?

Boomer.....
11/28/2012, 09:26 AM
Louisville leaves Big East for ACC (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8685541/acc-votes-add-louisville-cardinals-source-says)

sooneron
11/28/2012, 10:15 AM
I never said the Big 12 was interested, I was just referring to recent "success" and size of the institution. UH has been upgrading a lot in recent years - academically and athletically. I see UH having more upside than Southern Money University.

I think bringing in Lulsville and Cincy would not really strengthen the conf. It would be good for recruiting to get into Ohio, but they would still be two middle to bottom finishers. Take them if we can't get FSU & Clemson. I don't think I've ever seen Vick teck mentioned. They could make things interesting...

Nevermind on the Ville thing, just saw your linky Boomer....

Mac94
11/28/2012, 10:27 AM
With Louisville out of the picture I'd hope that the Big-12 leadership would be looking at two possible avenues:

1) Looking into raiding the ACC ... see if the football schools are content with the additions of the Big East schools and the ACC in general.

2) Expansion west by adding (if possible) BYU and a Colorado St or New Mexico. Expand the footprint ... no more Texas schools.

If the powers that be are takign the stand pat at 10 route I'd hope OU has some feelers out West with the Pac-12. A 10 team Big-12 will not last long term.

sooneron
11/28/2012, 10:34 AM
I really don't want another texas school. BYU would be an upgrade for what is out there. No, to UNM and CSU. I'd rather have Cincy than either of those two.

badger
11/28/2012, 10:37 AM
Remember that Simpsons episode where Bart drags his feet getting to school, so the only P.E. option left for him to take is ballet?

Pretty soon, the Big 12 will have to take ballet :mad:

:D But, Bart did end up liking ballet, so who knows! Maybe Rice University is the little private school that is just ready to be the next sports powerhouse heh...heh...heh...

<sigh>

Mac94
11/28/2012, 10:51 AM
Maybe Rice University is the little private school that is just ready to be the next sports powerhouse heh...heh...heh...

Yer funny ... but ya'll would have fun with the "M.o.B."

I just don't want OU stuck in SWC 2.0

Boomer.....
11/28/2012, 10:51 AM
I wouldn't necessarily say that Louisville is out of the question. They don't even join until 2014. See TCU.

yermom
11/28/2012, 11:06 AM
i just don't see expansion that makes sense geographically. Big East to Big 10 or ACC or SEC or some combination all have a lot more natural moves

adding 3 East coast teams doesn't give us a good way to split up divisions that make sense, it seems

maybe some of it is clouded by the thought of me not wanting to make 2-3 conference road trips out there every year

badger
11/28/2012, 11:28 AM
Yer funny ... but ya'll would have fun with the "M.o.B."
Yeah, they would be fun... and our fanbase wouldn't make the band sneak outta the stadium in food trucks, either. :rcmad:

JohnnyMack
11/28/2012, 11:34 AM
I think it's a joke that we didn't purse Louisville. Super short-sighted on the part of our conference.

God I hope we bolt for the PAC conference with osu sooner than later.

Scott D
11/28/2012, 11:43 AM
I don't think it was a lack of pursuit, it was a case of with Maryland leaving, the ACC became more aggressive in their pursuit. Their conference meeting is still on Friday, and they may or may not decide at that time whether they will offer to USF and UConn.

Boomer.....
11/28/2012, 11:46 AM
i just don't see expansion that makes sense geographically. Big East to Big 10 or ACC or SEC or some combination all have a lot more natural moves

adding 3 East coast teams doesn't give us a good way to split up divisions that make sense, it seems

maybe some of it is clouded by the thought of me not wanting to make 2-3 conference road trips out there every year

I like the idea of adding 6 ACC teams and making them and Iowa State and WVU the "East" and the others the "west". We would be proactive in making a "super-conference" and would have to scramble late in the game if that's the direction college football is heading.

JohnnyMack
11/28/2012, 11:47 AM
I don't think it was a lack of pursuit, it was a case of with Maryland leaving, the ACC became more aggressive in their pursuit. Their conference meeting is still on Friday, and they may or may not decide at that time whether they will offer to USF and UConn.

But wasn't Louisville making overtures to us BEFORE Maryland and Rutgers bolted for the Big 10?

winout
11/28/2012, 11:48 AM
I think we should head east, looking into florida especially. too bad Louisville is gone.

yermom
11/28/2012, 11:56 AM
I like the idea of adding 6 ACC teams and making them and Iowa State and WVU the "East" and the others the "west". We would be proactive in making a "super-conference" and would have to scramble late in the game if that's the direction college football is heading.

the math worked out okay with the Pac-16 stuff like that. we would have likely had a divisional game with an AZ team on the road, and some other west coast team every year.

an annual road trip to the west coast sounded a little more exciting though

Mac94
11/28/2012, 12:20 PM
Yeah, they would be fun... and our fanbase wouldn't make the band sneak outta the stadium in food trucks, either

So the Sooner fanbase has room to improve ;)

Ya gotta admit its a funny story after the fact.

ouleaf
11/28/2012, 12:31 PM
Think the WAC will no longer be a football conference after this year. No good teams in there to pick up really, just thought that was pretty interesting to see a conference just waive the white flag.

badger
11/28/2012, 12:38 PM
So the Sooner fanbase has room to improve ;)

Ya gotta admit its a funny story after the fact.

It represents your fanbase, yes. Whenever someone from another area of the country asks what is up with you guys when your corps squeezes its balls, wonders where female cheerleaders are or why every letter and number is beveled, we can just say "They once had to sneak an opposing band out in food carts because Aggies hated their halftime show" :rcmad:

Mac94
11/28/2012, 12:44 PM
It's better than the storied attempted artillery attack on Waco that was halted by Texas Law Enforcement back in the 1920's. ;)

JohnnyMack
11/28/2012, 12:47 PM
the math worked out okay with the Pac-16 stuff like that. we would have likely had a divisional game with an AZ team on the road, and some other west coast team every year.

an annual road trip to the west coast sounded a little more exciting though

I wish OU and osu would just defect.

How much was that fee to quit the Big 12 again?

ddub0224
11/28/2012, 01:18 PM
Lville gone is a big hurt. Do-able setup would have been:

NORTH
Kansas
Kansas St
Iowa St
WV
Lville
Cincy

SOUTH
OK
ok st
tx
Taco Tek
TCU
Baylor

Let's face it. The ACC is not crumbling. It's between the B12 and ACC and they are making the moves...we are not. 10 team conference will not last.

BYU - too far away from WV.
SMU - adds nothing....NOTHING
Houston - tv market but nothing by way of adding talent.

We need to continue to move east. Need to increase presence and support WV.

badger
11/28/2012, 01:43 PM
It's better than the storied attempted artillery attack on Waco that was halted by Texas Law Enforcement back in the 1920's. ;)

True... or the fact that Baylor dude was only able to cheap shot Aggie dude because the band started playing the National Anthem, so all the Aggies had to stop fighting Baylor and salute :rcmad:

JohnnyMack
11/28/2012, 01:48 PM
Let's face it. The ACC is not crumbling. It's between the B12 and ACC and they are making the moves...we are not. 10 team conference will not last.

http://d2oz5j6ef5tbf6.cloudfront.net/cd/large/Go_West_Young_Man_Promo.jpg

**** West Virginia with a shovel. We need to go west before it's too late.

Mac94
11/28/2012, 01:51 PM
Darn straight ... we're a patriotic bunch!

Anyway ... back to realignment. The problem for the Big-12 is there is no way to go. It is surrounded by the Big 3 ... Pac-12 to the west, B1G to the north, and SEC to the east. All the viable schools that would make any real sense are already locked up so while there are names that can be dropped ... Cinci ... Houston ... whatever ... it basically picking amoung the leftovers. That does not build conference strength or stability. The only option, IMHO, for Big-12 survival is for the demise of the ACC and the picking up of 4 or more schools on the east coast.

The three power conferences are locked in and that leaves, long term, the ACC and Big-12 fighting for one spot at the table. the ACC is showing some fight ... but it has it's issues. Really ... it's in the same position that the old Big East was in years and years ago (Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College, etc.) in that there is a fracture between the football schools and the basketball schools. That's what the Big-12 needs to exploit. Otherwise ... might as well grovel at the feet of Larry Scott and the Pac-12.

FtwTxSooner
11/28/2012, 01:52 PM
I wish OU and osu would just defect.

How much was that fee to quit the Big 12 again?

That is where the grant of rights comes into play. The conference owns our 1st and 2nd teir TV rights for the next 10 or so years. Without the TV money, we can't leave.

badger
11/28/2012, 01:53 PM

NORTH
Kansas
Kansas St
Iowa St
WV
Lville
Cincy

SOUTH
OK
ok st
tx
Taco Tek
TCU
Baylor

If we keep pressing the panic button it will break, so let's slow down for a second: We all know that the super duper conference crap WILL. NOT. LAST. There will simply be too many mouths to feed for each member to feel special and appreciated, and that's where cracks in the alliance start forming and members will break off in smaller groups (or alone) to do what's best for themselves.

When that happens... we expand.

Right now, we are in a good position as we are, because 90 percent of our football teams are bowl-bound. We have a seat at the BCS/playoff table, we have fairly strong mens basketball programs, and each school has fair non-revenue programs too.

Till then, let everyone else scream "FIRE" in the crowded theater to watch everyone run over themselves for the exits.

Mac94
11/28/2012, 02:04 PM
We all know that the super duper conference crap WILL. NOT. LAST.

We don't know that ... when the SEC went to 12 teams by adding S Carolina and Arkansas and added a championship game it was uncharted territory and many said what you just said ... won't work. It did and is and not only working but thriving. The Pac just went to 12 ... and that formula his already tested.

Going to 14 is new ... and there will be some trial and error in the ACC, B1G, and SEC there ... but the SEC in year one has done fine. The money being talked about for a new TV deal and SEC network are huge. So there is no way of knowning what will last or not.

Obviously the 16 team WAC failed .. but comparing that to the major conferences is apples and oranges. Obviously the Big-12 has been rocky thee past three years ... but the formation of the Big-12 was as much a shotgun marriage as anything else.

So time will tell on these super conferences ... you may be right ... but you have no real basis of saying they're doomed to fail either. It's the great unknown.

ddub0224
11/28/2012, 02:42 PM
Not panicing. Just saying we need to at least get back to 12. Need to have a championship game like the other major 3 conferences.

I agree things are pretty sweet now. But look at how the B12 looks against the SEC in the rankings. When we play a round robin schedule against everyone in the conference, you'll never be able to fill up the top 10, 15 like the SEC has. And that will be important come 2014 when the handcuffs are removed on how many schools a conference can get into the playoffs/BCS/whateveritscalled format.

8timechamps
11/28/2012, 02:50 PM
The Big XII is not going anywhere, so get the thoughts of moving west out of your mind (at least until the TV deal is up). The ACC isn't suddenly secure because they got Louisville. They want to be, and gladly accepted Louisville, but that doesn't change the fact that the conference is in trouble. If you think otherwise, ask Maryland (a founding member) why they left.

The ACC is not long for this world, and I suspect that the Big XII leaders are setting their sights on the better schools in the current ACC. While the ACC may survive in name, in a few years, it won't be the same ACC we see today. They just can't survive the current financial environment. That's why Maryland bolted.

ddub0224
11/28/2012, 03:04 PM
Maryland bolted because they were tired of being in a basketball conference run by the state of North Carolina. They used a page from the A&M playbook.

Scott D
11/28/2012, 03:06 PM
That's the odd thing 8tc, one could argue that overall the ACC has improved their position replacing longtime stalwart Maryland with Louisville...at least in the short term. Maryland bolted because their Athletic Dept. over the last 10-12 years has been anywhere from $50m to $8m in the red depending on which books you look at.

The fact with the Big XII right now is that they are still officially on the position of "10 schools is where we want to be" and apparently the conference is deathly afraid of a situation like what the ACC may have if Georgia Tech wins the CCG. The biggest sticking point for the Big XII is their desire to avoid a CCG at virtually all costs right now.

badger
11/28/2012, 03:07 PM
Going to 14 is new ... and there will be some trial and error in the ACC, B1G, and SEC there ... but the SEC in year one has done fine. The money being talked about for a new TV deal and SEC network are huge. So there is no way of knowning what will last or not.
In the 14-team SEC, Auburn, Tennessee or Kentucky had zero conference wins, no bowl eligibility, and now, no coach.

In the 10-team Big 12, nine teams have winning records and are headed to bowls.

I know you guys will have a dog in the national championship race. That's great. But what about the other 13 teams?
- 5 teams with losing records (not eligible for postseason)
- 7, despite good records (and even one that competed for the SEC title) will be relegated to mid-tire and sh!t-tier bowls
- 1 BCS invite to a team that won't even contend for the SEC title

So basically, two get everything, 7 get leftovers, and 5 will have nothing left in their football seasons after last weekend.

What a wonderful reward for a 10-2 season... the BBVA Compass Bowl, the Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl, or perhaps even the AdvoCare V100 Independence Bowl!

I don't expect overachieving teams to put up with that crap year in, year out. Not even your aggies.

8timechamps
11/28/2012, 03:53 PM
That's the odd thing 8tc, one could argue that overall the ACC has improved their position replacing longtime stalwart Maryland with Louisville...at least in the short term. Maryland bolted because their Athletic Dept. over the last 10-12 years has been anywhere from $50m to $8m in the red depending on which books you look at.

The fact with the Big XII right now is that they are still officially on the position of "10 schools is where we want to be" and apparently the conference is deathly afraid of a situation like what the ACC may have if Georgia Tech wins the CCG. The biggest sticking point for the Big XII is their desire to avoid a CCG at virtually all costs right now.

I'm with you, in the short-run the ACC made the right move. The problem is that Louisville doesn't bring anything in from a monetary stance that Maryland didn't bring. ESPN or Fox isn't going to think "wow, UL is now in the ACC, we have to pony up more money!". However, adding UL does placate the football schools a little.

I think you're probably right about the Big XII looking to avoid a CCG. As much as I would like to have one, it's probably the smart move for now. In reality, the Big XII is in a good position to do nothing right now. However, if the SEC and B1G start to poach the ACC, all bets are off and the Big XII would have to jump in.

Any way you look at it, it's the ACC vs the Big XII for long term survival. I suppose both could survive, but with the future looking like super-conferences, one of them will die. Right now, my money is on the ACC to fold, but you never know.

8timechamps
11/28/2012, 03:54 PM
Maryland bolted because they were tired of being in a basketball conference run by the state of North Carolina. They used a page from the A&M playbook.

While that was a nice incentive, Maryland left because they could make (far) more money in the Big 10. All of this conference realignment (save maybe A&M) is about a money grab.

Mac94
11/28/2012, 04:07 PM
I know you guys will have a dog in the national championship race. That's great. But what about the other 13 teams?
- 7, despite good records (and even one that competed for the SEC title) will be relegated to mid-tire and sh!t-tier bowls

We'll have two in the BCS this year ... and to turn the tables ... if we were in the top 4 playoff format now 3 SEC teams would be in as well as Notre Dame.

As for making a bowl ... the situation in the SEC is that same as it has been ... 4 OOC games and 8 conference games. So for Auburn or Arkansas ... they face one more west team and one less east team. It's not a huge mega change. Arkansas fell off the map form reasons totally different than realignment ... as did Auburn. Miss St and Mississippi had decent years ... esp Ole Miss that was coming off a pre realignment 2-10 (0-8 in SEC) record.

the bowls we have are:

Friday 12/28 — AdvoCare V100 Independence Bowl SEC vs ACC
Monday 12/31 — Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl SEC vs ACC
Monday 12/31 — AutoZone Liberty Bowl SEC vs C-USA
Monday 12/31 — Chick-fil-A Bowl SEC vs ACC
Tuesday 1/1 — TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl SEC vs Big Ten
Tuesday 1/1 — Capital One Bowl SEC vs Big Ten
Tuesday 1/1 — Outback Bowl SEC vs Big Ten
Tuesday 1/1 — Allstate Sugar Bowl SEC vs BCS Foe
Friday 1/4 — AT&T Cotton Bowl SEC vs Big 12
Saturday 1/5 — BBVA Compass Bowl SEC vs Big East

Only two of those I'd really consider "ugh" bowls ... the Compass and Liberty. And that's 10 slots available to 14 teams. It's not like most of the league is gonna be left out.

the others are good bowls against other major conferences. We both have the BCS and Cotton ... Capital One is better than Alamo IMHO, Outback better than Holiday ...

Scott D
11/28/2012, 04:12 PM
this year I'd say the Capital One, Outback, and Gator Bowls are all likely going to be "ugh" bowls with the mismatches.

ddub0224
11/28/2012, 04:12 PM
In the 14-team SEC, Auburn, Tennessee or Kentucky had zero conference wins, no bowl eligibility, and now, no coach.

In the 10-team Big 12, nine teams have winning records and are headed to bowls.

So basically, two get everything, 7 get leftovers, and 5 will have nothing left in their football seasons after last weekend.

What a wonderful reward for a 10-2 season... the BBVA Compass Bowl, the Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl, or perhaps even the AdvoCare V100 Independence Bowl!

I don't expect overachieving teams to put up with that crap year in, year out. Not even your aggies.

This scenario in 2014 however puts those 6 teams in the 6 major $$$$ bowls. The rich keep getting richer. Mean while we would have only 2 or if texsucks beats KState....we would have 1. The "playoff" system changes everything.

badger
11/28/2012, 04:19 PM
All right Mac, we obviously aren't going to agree. Trucey truce? :)

back on topic... Middle Tennessee is spoke for. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=236&articleid=20121128_236_0_Aperso937532) :P

Mac94
11/28/2012, 04:25 PM
All right Mac, we obviously aren't going to agree. Trucey truce?

LOL ... we can agree on alot of things ... like OU kicking horn frog butt ... making fun of that school two blocks north of me ... that the color orange sucks ... all kinds of things! ;)

And sorry ... I heard a plane carrying Big East reps landed in Murfreesboro half an hour ago ;)

JohnnyMack
11/28/2012, 04:30 PM
We'll have two in the BCS this year ... and to turn the tables ... if we were in the top 4 playoff format now 3 SEC teams would be in as well as Notre Dame.

Ummmm, the season isn't over yet sunshine.

The SEC will have two of the top 4.

It'll probably be:

1)ND
2) Bama
3) Florida
4) Oregon

JohnnyMack
11/28/2012, 04:31 PM
Ummmm, the season isn't over yet sunshine.

The SEC will have two of the top 4.

It'll probably be:

1)ND
2) Bama
3) Florida
4) Oregon

If that happened, can you imagine the groaning from the SEC if their Champion not only won the division, and won the championship game and then had to turn around and play another SEC team to make the title? LULZ.

Mac94
11/28/2012, 04:34 PM
Point taken on post Saturday rankings.

JohnnyMack
11/28/2012, 04:38 PM
Point taken on post Saturday rankings.

Also, I'm what if this season were 2014 and we had the "selection committee" deciding the final 4....

Say for a hypothetical the final rankings are:

1) ND
2) Bama
3) Florida
4) Oregon
5) Kansas State

Would the selection committee snub FL or Oregon and choose KSU because KSU is a conference champ?

God the mere thought of that gives me a boner. Can you imagine the grinching and moaning that's going to take place when we're trying to select the Final 4? It's gonna rule!

ddub0224
11/28/2012, 04:40 PM
It's an SEC world and we're all just living in it :)

Mac94
11/28/2012, 04:41 PM
Can you imagine the grinching and moaning that's going to take place when we're trying to select the Final 4? It's gonna rule!

Yup ... which is probably why the 4 team senario was just a foot in the door ... getting the playoff concept in place. After a few seasons or a dozen wouldn't be suprised to see it expanded.

JohnnyMack
11/28/2012, 04:45 PM
Yup ... which is probably why the 4 team senario was just a foot in the door ... getting the playoff concept in place. After a few seasons or a dozen wouldn't be suprised to see it expanded.

We'll be right back to running up the score and politicking for votes. Les Miles will be sending an entire fleet of hookers to try and "convince" the committee to select his team. :D

Mac94
11/28/2012, 04:49 PM
LOL ... whoever is on that committee may need Secret Service kinda protection.

badger
11/28/2012, 05:03 PM
We'll be right back to running up the score and politicking for votes. Les Miles will be sending an entire fleet of hookers to try and "convince" the committee to select his team. :D

:les: "Craig James killed five of my fleet!"

8timechamps
11/28/2012, 06:28 PM
this year I'd say the Capital One, Outback, and Gator Bowls are all likely going to be "ugh" bowls with the mismatches.

Conversely, there will be some non-BCS bowls that will have some really good teams featured.

EatLeadCommie
11/28/2012, 07:42 PM
The ACC snagging Louisville is interesting because it means any future strategy involving them for the BXII is effectively out. If the BXII wants to continue its expansionist ways (and recent history shows that can change on a dime), it will have to raid the ACC in all likelihood and go after one or both of the Florida schools and/or maybe somebody weird like Cinci.

Mac94
11/28/2012, 08:28 PM
it will have to raid the ACC in all likelihood

Yup ... the old Big East had a problem similar (although not exactly) like the ACC. It had schools like Pitt, W Virginia, Miami, Boston College, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, etc as football members (as well as other sports) but also the old Big East had a number of non football schools (Georgetown, St. Johns, etc.) and there was a power struggle between the basketball schools and the football schools. As we all know and looking at the list ... those football schools ended up all leaving.

The ACC has roughly the same issue ... football first schools and basketball first schools. The basketball schools (North Carolina mafia) run the conference ... and that's the opening the Big-12 needs to work on. There are unhappy campers over there out east ... and it's something, if played right, could be worked like the ACC took advantage of the old Big East rift and stole the football schools.

Scott D
11/29/2012, 12:51 AM
fwiw, both the MAC and the Big East (mostly the MAC) are trying to get Villanova to uprate their football program to D1-A status. the MAC is pushing harder for it, and potentially like East Carolina will be doing with the Big East as a football only member, Villanova could possibly become a member of the MAC in football, and remain in the Big East for the rest of their sports. The Big East quit pushing as much when they "re-acquired" Temple from the MAC after kicking Temple out all those years ago.

Bourbon St Sooner
11/29/2012, 09:38 AM
I'm not convinced that the B12 has to expand just because everybody else is. The B10 grabbed Maryland and Rutgers to expand their footprint, but it doesn't make the conference more competitive. For all the money the B10 network is raking in, the B10 will continue to be everybody else's bitches this bowl season.

If you have a chance to grab Clemson and Fla St then go for it. Anything short of that is just diluting the conference.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/29/2012, 09:49 AM
San Diego St to Big East is funny.

redkid
11/29/2012, 10:17 AM
I say add Tulsa to the b12,,we need another ok school,,and they are pretty decent now,,but would need to put more fans in the seats,,besides Blankenship is filling his roster with a ton of local talent,,and being apart of the b12 would also land him some talent,just a thought

Scott D
11/29/2012, 02:58 PM
I say add Tulsa to the b12,,we need another ok school,,and they are pretty decent now,,but would need to put more fans in the seats,,besides Blankenship is filling his roster with a ton of local talent,,and being apart of the b12 would also land him some talent,just a thought

the conference gains nothing from adding another school from either oklahoma or texas.

tycat947
11/29/2012, 03:01 PM
San Diego St to Big East is funny.

How about TULANE??? R U Serious???

Scott D
11/29/2012, 03:04 PM
Tulane makes more sense than San Diego State or Boise State.

tycat947
11/29/2012, 03:21 PM
Tulane makes more sense than San Diego State or Boise State.

How? SDSU and BSU, at least have good football and/or basketball teams? And I'd venture to guess a much larger TV appeal even as miniscule as that might be.

Ground_Attack
11/29/2012, 03:26 PM
At least Tulane is in the middle of the country. Boise in Idaho and San Diego on the SoCal coast are hilarious. Travel nightmares.

SoonerLaw09
11/29/2012, 03:31 PM
:les: "Craig James killed five of my fleet!"

I'm not sure "fleet" is the right word. What's the collective noun for hookers? Herd (if the weight restrictions are off)? Gaggle, perhaps?

PalmBeachSooner
11/29/2012, 03:40 PM
How? SDSU and BSU, at least have good football and/or basketball teams? And I'd venture to guess a much larger TV appeal even as miniscule as that might be.

San Diego sucks as a sports town. They barely support their professional teams let alone college teams.

Scott D
11/30/2012, 01:13 AM

Who do you think would have a ridiculous travel schedule? For the life of me, I still fail to see why Louisiana Tech ever joined the WAC. Their road schedule had to be a budget killer.

Scott D
12/13/2012, 12:29 PM
Within the next 24 to 48 hours, the seven Big East members that don't play FBS football DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall and Villanova will decide whether or not to remain part of the Big East or break away to form their own basketball conference, or join an existing one. This raises the potential that the Big East may end up dissolving within a week.

Mac94
12/13/2012, 01:42 PM
Article on the above info

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/13/big-east-back-on-life-support-on-verge-of-collapse/

tycat947
12/13/2012, 01:51 PM
I'm sure UConn is crying in their spilled milk!!!

badger
12/13/2012, 01:57 PM
I just added another "our board is dead" poll on this Big East dissolving topic. Feel free to debate which Big East scraps we should devour :P

BigTip
12/13/2012, 02:05 PM
I'm not sure "fleet" is the right word. What's the collective noun for hookers? Herd (if the weight restrictions are off)? Gaggle, perhaps?

I call mine "my stable." I believe that be the appropriate pimpin' word.

BBQ Man
12/13/2012, 02:27 PM
I don't want the B12 to expand. I wish every conference had ten teams and you play everyone in your conference. It seems weird for one team to be the conference champ without playing all the other teams in the conference. If it does expand, it needs to add tv viewers and make geographical sense.

BYU, Colorado St/Air Force and New Mexico and maybe Boise State in the west make some sense. Tulane, Memphis and Louisville make the most sense in the east (even though two are really week programs right now).

I don't have a problem with TCU, but it didn't add anything real to the conference. Even UH would have been better to try to keep A&M from converting the city of Houston into an SEC city. Maybe I'll get used to West Virginia, but it doesn't feel like its really part of the conference. I don't want to add more east coast schools. That's as dumb as Boise State going to the Big East.

SoonerLaw09
12/13/2012, 02:36 PM
If we're going to raid the Big Least current or future memebers, I'd favor taking Bois Estate and Cincy, or Hooston (I know, no more Texas teams, but they fit regionally and offensively). I just think it would be weird to have Florida teams in a midwestern conference. And Memphis is meh in football, tho they'd be a fantastic basketball pickup.

ouflak
12/13/2012, 03:01 PM
So does this mean the former members would no longer have to pay exit fees? That would save the Big XII some money for WVU.

Scott D
12/13/2012, 06:32 PM
If the conference dissolves, yes there wouldn't be an exit fee. However, I don't think West Virginia would get theirs back.

mainline13
12/14/2012, 08:31 AM
I call mine "my stable." I believe that be the appropriate pimpin' word.

Yup, that's the one. it's because they're thoroughbreds. :highly_amused:

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/14/2012, 09:14 AM
I honestly think you need to get the University of Houston in to the Big XII to bring the Houston market back in to the Big XII conference area. With Texas A&M going to the SEC and Baton Rouge only 4 hours away, this area has become very SEC saturated. The closest Big XII school is Texas and while they are big in Houston, A&M is bigger in this area...especially now. I know most people don't want another Texas school, but for recuriting purposes, how great would it be to play in the two largest markets city limits every year or two for recruiting purposes?

badger
12/14/2012, 09:24 AM
I honestly think you need to get the University of Houston in to the Big XII to bring the Houston market back in to the Big XII conference area. With Texas A&M going to the SEC and Baton Rouge only 4 hours away, this area has become very SEC saturated. The closest Big XII school is Texas and while they are big in Houston, A&M is bigger in this area...especially now. I know most people don't want another Texas school, but for recuriting purposes, how great would it be to play in the two largest markets city limits every year or two for recruiting purposes?

A bit biased, aren't we? :)

So, as long as you're vouching for your mid-major hometown program, let me extoll the virtues of the great school of Tulsa. Here's a team that despite being the smallest enrollment school in all of D-1 football, they are bowl regulars and are always in the hunt for the mighty C-USA. They are not afraid to play anyone non-conference, regularly scheduling the likes of OU and OSU and even had Boise State in town recently. And did I mention they won at Notre Dame during Brian Kelly's first season there? It fits our geography, it fits our conference landscape. I know, I know, we don't want to have yet another Oklahoma school in the conference, but Arkansas is only a few hours away and I don't want my dear Tulsa turning into SEC country!

...see? Your Houston add sucks as much as my Tulsa add. I know we both want regular OU games in our cities, but it ain't gonna happen. Sorry.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/14/2012, 10:27 AM
So does this mean the former members would no longer have to pay exit fees? That would save the Big XII some money for WVU.

NO this only applies to the religious (catholic) schools. They got that into the by-laws of the BIG LEAST when it formed...

Scott D
12/14/2012, 12:15 PM
NO this only applies to the religious (catholic) schools. They got that into the by-laws of the BIG LEAST when it formed...

Except if those 7 schools do as expected and leave today, the conference will virtually cease to exist.

Scott D
12/31/2012, 06:24 PM
Boise St. backing out of move to Big East to remain in MWC with a $5 Mil buyout that will partially be paid for by the MWC. An expected move with the Big East now relegated to being as relevant as the WAC, and the fact that Boise was playing hardball about retaining all home game TV rights.

The Aztecs of San Diego State are now on the clock for what lateral move they'll take or stick with the Fail Least.

bluedogok
12/31/2012, 06:55 PM
I would think that the best option for SDSU is the MWC since Boise is staying. A strong or stable MWC or C-USA is the best option for the majority of those programs that are not going to get an easy AQ conference offer.

PLaw
1/1/2013, 11:18 AM
I want FSU, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia to form the Atlantic Coast Division of the 3 division, 15 team Big 12.

OU, OSU, KU, KSU, and ISU would be the Big 8 division.

ut, TTU, Baylor, TCU, and Houston would be the Southwest division.

Highest BCS ranked team gets a bye into Conference Champ game. Other two division winners play to fill the other CCG slot.

uT and OU allowed to keep RRR. Each team to play 10 conf games - 4 from division plus 3 from each of other divisions.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Advantages:
1) Gives good TV footprint which should generate more TV cash for all schools.
2) Provides good recruiting area into SEC region with schools in Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. Allows Big 12 to maintain foothold in Houston where eTAMe will likely dominate, otherwise.
3) Keeps regional and traditional matchups.
4) Sets or keeps pace with the "super conference" structure that is coming.

Deloss, do you think you could go along with this plan?

BOOMER

PLaw
1/1/2013, 11:37 AM

NORTH
Kansas
Kansas St
Iowa St
WV
Lville
Cincy

SOUTH
OK
ok st
tx
Taco Tek
TCU
Baylor

Nice conf line up and well thought out, but you don't know much about Texas HS football. Houston is a huge talent pool and it will be owned by TAMU if Big XII does not move to defend that territory. Aggies have historically done well in Houston and it gives SEC a good foothold there. Sumlin was building a top 25 team largely with Houston area talent.

BOOMER

BOOMER

oudivesherpa
1/1/2013, 09:56 PM
[QUOTE=PLaw;3569678]Nice conf line up and well thought out, but you don't know much about Texas HS football. Houston is a huge talent pool and it will be owned by TAMU if Big XII does not move to defend that territory. Aggies have historically done well in Houston and it gives SEC a good foothold there. Sumlin was building a top 25 team largely with Houston area talent.

Agree. I'm a OU alumni (MBA) and teach high school in Houston. A & M and the SEC has made major gains in this market since joining the SEC; the Big XIi needs to add a local Houston school to the conference. However, The U of H doesn't have the facilities and Rice wouldn't be an academic fit.

deweydw
1/2/2013, 12:00 PM
So, as long as you're vouching for your mid-major hometown program, let me extoll the virtues of the great school of Tulsa. Here's a team that despite being the smallest enrollment school in all of D-1 football, they are bowl regulars and are always in the hunt for the mighty C-USA. They are not afraid to play anyone non-conference, regularly scheduling the likes of OU and OSU and even had Boise State in town recently. And did I mention they won at Notre Dame during Brian Kelly's first season there? It fits our geography, it fits our conference landscape. I know, I know, we don't want to have yet another Oklahoma school in the conference, but Arkansas is only a few hours away and I don't want my dear Tulsa turning into SEC country!

I agree with Tulsa. After seeing them handle ISU. It's time they got an invite to the Big 12.

tycat947
1/2/2013, 12:02 PM
Boise St. backing out of move to Big East to remain in MWC with a $5 Mil buyout that will partially be paid for by the MWC. An expected move with the Big East now relegated to being as relevant as the WAC, and the fact that Boise was playing hardball about retaining all home game TV rights.

The Aztecs of San Diego State are now on the clock for what lateral move they'll take or stick with the Fail Least.

Pretty sad when you have to pay a $5M buyout to a conference you never played in. I'd think $5M is a lot for Boise JC. Did Boise Junior College have to pay the MWC any money to leave?

ddub0224
1/2/2013, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=PLaw;3569678]Nice conf line up and well thought out, but you don't know much about Texas HS football. Houston is a huge talent pool and it will be owned by TAMU if Big XII does not move to defend that territory. Aggies have historically done well in Houston and it gives SEC a good foothold there. Sumlin was building a top 25 team largely with Houston area talent.[QUOTE=PLaw;3569678]

Thanks for that. On the contrary though re Houston - I live in Texas and am very familiar with the HS talent level in Houston. Many a state titles come down to a Dallas metroplex vs Houston metroplex team matchup. I was talking about the school, not the city. Adding U of H does not increase the level of the talent in the B12. You can't add a school just because of the HS talent in that city.

badger
1/2/2013, 01:10 PM
Pretty sad when you have to pay a $5M buyout to a conference you never played in. I'd think $5M is a lot for Boise JC. Did Boise Junior College have to pay the MWC any money to leave?

TCU had to pay Big East $5 mil also, despite also never playing in it. I think we cut em a check and said "See ya later, losers!"

Big East is making a killing on exit fees lately, eh? Maybe that's why the bball schools didn't vote to end the conference, just to exit?

TAFBSooner
1/2/2013, 04:28 PM
I want FSU, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia to form the Atlantic Coast Division of the 3 division, 15 team Big 12.

OU, OSU, KU, KSU, and ISU would be the Big 8 division.

ut, TTU, Baylor, TCU, and Houston would be the Southwest division.

Highest BCS ranked team gets a bye into Conference Champ game. Other two division winners play to fill the other CCG slot.

uT and OU allowed to keep RRR. Each team to play 10 conf games - 4 from division plus 3 from each of other divisions.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Advantages:
1) Gives good TV footprint which should generate more TV cash for all schools.
2) Provides good recruiting area into SEC region with schools in Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. Allows Big 12 to maintain foothold in Houston where eTAMe will likely dominate, otherwise.
3) Keeps regional and traditional matchups.
4) Sets or keeps pace with the "super conference" structure that is coming.

Deloss, do you think you could go along with this plan?

BOOMER

Why not put OSU in a separate division from OU? That way they could win more "championships," and we could (just as often) beat them twice per year.

TAFBSooner
1/2/2013, 04:36 PM

There are several, including

a jam of tarts
a flourish of strumpets
an essay of Trollope's
an anthology of pros

- reported by Isaac Asimov

Scott D
1/2/2013, 07:54 PM
TCU had to pay Big East $5 mil also, despite also never playing in it. I think we cut em a check and said "See ya later, losers!"

Big East is making a killing on exit fees lately, eh? Maybe that's why the bball schools didn't vote to end the conference, just to exit?

Because the seven catholic schools will be taking 3 teams probably from the atlantic 10 and forming a new Big East conference. They basically voted to kill the conference.

wolfmanjoe
1/23/2013, 04:27 AM
http://www.eersauthority.com/big-10-and-sec-race-to-add-acc-schools/
Multiple sources within the Big 10 contend the University of Virginia is set to receive an invitation to join the conference early next week. UVA is expected to ratify the move from the ACC to the Big 10 shortly after receiving the invitation.

UVA would become the 15th member of the Big 10.

None of the Big 10 sources would divulge the identity of the Big 10’s target for #16 but they did confirm that Georgia Tech and UNC are the leading candidates.

Media contacts working close to Georgia Tech believe the Yellow Jackets are the Big 10’s choice for #16 while several sources within the Big 10 believe the conference would prefer UNC over GT.

Sources close to the SEC allege UNC is also engaged in serious discussions to join the SEC along with Duke.

The same sources indicate that the SEC is prepared to be the catalyst of the next round of conference realignment and move quickly to secure either UNC and Duke or Virginia Tech and NC State.

Sources at WVU say the Big 12 is set to discuss expansion at the end of the month and it is likely they will invite as many as 6 ACC teams after the Big 10 and SEC move.

So what does this mean?

If the Big 10 and SEC sources are correct we can assume UNC is highly prized commodity – at least a big enough prize to force the SEC to break their pattern of benign poaching and make a preemptive move on UNC before the Big 10 has a chance to snatch up the Tar Heels.

As for the Big 10 my sources tell me on paper UNC looks like a perfect fit but Georgia Tech has enormous support from both Illinois and Purdue. So much support that Delany has been forced to rethink his choice of UNC.

The Big 12 has previously agreed to add FSU and either Miami or Clemson (it’s different depending on who you talk to at WVU or in the Big 12). My sources at WVU explain that Miami is the more valuable choice due to its larger television market and fertile recruiting grounds but they are quick to explain Clemson is a close second.

What’s clear is that the Big 12 will have the opportunity to add 6 quality schools that will drastically improve their footprint and increase their available television inventory.

If the Big 12 is lucky and the Big 10 and SEC hit 16 and hold the conference could see FSU, Miami, Clemson, Virginia Tech and NC State as members.

The folks at WVU are giddy at the prospect of being in the same division as old friends FSU, Clemson, Miami and our best “frenemy” Virginia Tech.

The worst scenario for the Big 12 is still an improvement. At the very least Bowlsby will decide to add FSU, Miami and Clemson and he’ll have some options to round out the conference at either 14 or 16 with Louisville, Cincinnati, Pitt, BYU or even UCONN.

Why would ACC schools move before the UMD lawsuit with the ACC is settled? A mass defection of 10 schools would kill the ACC as a viable conference and their may be no one left to pay the exit fee to after realignment is finished.

The other popular opinion is that it won’t matter. They know UMD will pay far less than the $52 million and they’re willing to move on to greener pastures confident that the ACC’s share of playoff money and eventually even the ACC’s TV money will be redistributed to the remaining big 4 and more than make up for whatever exit fee they may be forced to pay.

Keep in mind I don’t have direct knowledge of the discussion. I rely on friends at WVU and contacts within the ACC, Big 10 and SEC for this information and it can change quickly.

wolfmanjoe
1/23/2013, 04:29 AM
no link, from message board

These are rumors from a UNC board (via a Nebraska board via WVU so probably from the same group of sources), a lot of the same info, TFWIW

"Update - Based on many conversations today with people in the Big Ten, Big 12 and SEC, here's what's brewing:

1. Big Ten is in final stages with Virginia. Virginia submitted plan to Delany outlining procedures for withdrawal from the ACC and plans to compete in the Big Ten. The announcement that Maryland and Rutgers were joining the Big Ten came days after Delany accepted their plans. So if Delany follows the model used previously, UVA is just days away.

2. North Carolina has been in discussions with both the Big Ten and SEC. The Tar Heels are conflicted on the choice between the academic prowess of the Big Ten or the SEC's money.

3. The Big Ten has no interest in Duke and has told UNC so. The SEC would take both Duke and UNC.

4. Delany plans to invite Georgia Tech if UNC decides to go with the SEC. Plan B for GT is Boston College.

5. The SEC will take either UNC and Duke or Virginia Tech and North Carolina State. They will stop at 16. The SEC has no interest in Florida State or Clemson.

6. The Big 12 has Miami locked up. The Hurricanes decided to accept the Big 12's offer for fear of being left out. The have accepted.

7. The Big 12 will invite three additional schools and will stop at 14. Florida State and Clemson are definitely two of the three. Both have "unofficial invitations". The third school will be (in order of preference): Georgia Tech, North Carolina State, Duke, Louisville, or Cincinnati. It's almost certain that the 14th member of the Big 12 will be either Georgia Tech or NC State.

8. The Big Ten would consider going to 18 only if teams #15 and #16 are Virginia and North Carolina. #17 would be Georgia Tech and #18 would be Boston College.

SoonerMarkVA
1/23/2013, 08:57 AM
If the Big 12 is lucky and the Big 10 and SEC hit 16 and hold the conference could see FSU, Miami, Clemson, Virginia Tech and NC State as members.

That would be a jackpot expansion, plus Cincin or perhaps Pitt if we need to get to 16.

Mjcpr
1/23/2013, 10:02 AM
Can we bring in somebody that can play defense before our transformation to the old school WAC is complete?

ddub0224
1/23/2013, 04:31 PM
Can we bring in somebody that can play defense before our transformation to the old school WAC is complete?

What is this "defense" to which you speak of?

goingoneight
1/23/2013, 06:47 PM
Defense is being brutally murdered anymore from coast-to-coast. It's only a matter of time before the teams stockpiling defensive talent like Bama start seeing more moments like their mishap against A&M. The reason the SEC has the defensive reputation is because a great number of their coaches refrain from bringing in those styles of offense. Auburn, Arkansas, Texas A&M and even Florida proved that high-powered offenses work there. The rules keep changing to favor these Playstation offenses, too. If we wish to see great defense reign supreme again, they've got to change some of these rules the other direction. What good is a great pass rush if the ball is gone in 2 seconds? How can a DB defend a tightrope pass if the WR only has to have his shoestring inbounds? That kinda stuff.

8timechamps
1/23/2013, 07:13 PM
Here is a copy of the lawsuit filed against the ACC (by Maryland): LINK (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_pWZMMfSW_FcmpicnAyY3VtdHM/view?pli=1&sle=true)

I am not a legal person, but based on what I read, it sounds like Maryland has a very winnable case. What's interesting is that the lawsuit addressed the new ACC constitution, and says that it was never approved. It goes on to say that if it was approved (and it wasn't), that it would go into effect July 1, 2013, so Maryland would be excluded from it anyway. If that's the case, it seems like July 1 is the deadline for ACC teams to leave.

SoonerMom2
1/24/2013, 12:26 AM
Maryland and FSU refused to support and vote for an increase in fees. Think ACC is about to implode depending on Maryland outcome. Some say they will combine with what is left of Big East.

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/24/2013, 09:15 AM
So where does this leave Notre Dame's contract with the ACC?

Seems to me like the would sue.

8timechamps
1/24/2013, 02:42 PM
So where does this leave Notre Dame's contract with the ACC?

Seems to me like the would sue.

If the ACC dissolves, there won't be anyone to sue. They'll have to find another conference to schedule.