PDA

View Full Version : We were just lucky against OSU

Widescreen
11/27/2012, 07:39 AM
So says Joseph Randle:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/wires/11/27/2060.ap.fbc.t25.oklahoma.st.rivalry.rebound.1st.ld .writethru.0814/index.html

"They should have been celebrating,'' running back Joseph Randle said. "You should celebrate when you get lucky. We feel like they got lucky and, you know, they won the game and we lost, so they deserved to celebrate that win.''

Randle said the way the Sooners celebrated "means that they felt like they should have lost coming into the game. You know, regardless of rankings and all of that different stuff, they didn't think they was going to come in there and just blow us out. I guarantee you that. We felt like we was going to blow them out, honestly. I felt like, `This was going to be easy.' But it is what it is. We lost. They won. Congratulations.''

sooneredaco
11/27/2012, 07:48 AM
What a loser... Literally

olevetonahill
11/27/2012, 07:52 AM
Wonderin If I should give that boy some English an Grammer lessons :glee:

Breadburner
11/27/2012, 08:14 AM
I have not heard one intelligent thing from the staff or players......

sooneredaco
11/27/2012, 08:24 AM
So Aggie

budbarrybob
11/27/2012, 08:32 AM

just go on up to him and ax him.

olevetonahill
11/27/2012, 08:37 AM
just go on up to him and ax him.

He Prolly try an Fleece me

cleller
11/27/2012, 08:48 AM
In the story it mentions Gundy let them watch comedy clips during their Sunday meeting. Wonder if any of those were of past OSU teams, or current OSU uniforms.

Stepchildren.

yermom
11/27/2012, 09:10 AM
So Aggie

that sums it up nicely.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/27/2012, 09:26 AM
Whether you are Sam Mayes and think they just gave us the game, or you are Jeremy stewart and you are never going to lose to OU, or you are Joseph Randle and say it was luck, it was a loss..No asterisk, no special notes, no half a point for effort...

And it wasn't easy, was it?

Soonerjeepman
11/27/2012, 09:31 AM
"honestly, I felt like, this was going to be easy"...

really? who thought they were going to just blow out the other team out....?... certainly not OU. DA~

Midtowner
11/27/2012, 09:33 AM
Lucky? No. Last ones with the ball, good clock management to get to OT. In OT, actually played defense for once and ended up with more points. Luck would have been a sheep wandering into the stadium and sitting on the sideline distracting the OSU players.

thecrimsoncrusader
11/27/2012, 09:34 AM
He should be thankful that Oklahoma played like crap for most of that game and had 3 offensive line starters out. OSU had a fluke performance in that game that kept the game close. It will be an easier game in Stoolwater next season.

yermom
11/27/2012, 09:48 AM
it's never an easy game in Stoolwater

ouleaf
11/27/2012, 09:49 AM

Grammar lessons would be better than grammer lessons.

olevetonahill
11/27/2012, 09:50 AM

Mebe we should orta make this a Pole ? yer a Moran.:glee:

SunnySooner
11/27/2012, 09:51 AM
We sure do get "lucky" against them a lot. Luckier than a sailor during Fleet Week in Thailand. Weird how that happens, God must really love us.
~~eyesrolling~~

SoonerInHSV
11/27/2012, 09:55 AM
Over the years I have seen the Aggies lose a number of games to us that they should have won. This attitude explains why. They blame their failures on something other than themselves. You can't change luck. You can change poor tackling, poor conditioning, and poor play calling. When the other team has given up almost 100 points in two games and you are five of five in the red zone against them and you don't score a touchdown in overtime whose fault is that? If they ever start thinking like winners they will be a good team, but right now they are just Aggies.

thecrimsoncrusader
11/27/2012, 09:58 AM
it's never an easy game in Stoolwater

I didn't say it would be easy, just easier than this game was. :untroubled:

yukonsooner
11/27/2012, 10:06 AM

My thoughts exactly. This is a college junior.

KantoSooner
11/27/2012, 10:08 AM
It's curious that Randle, a guy who was supposed to be the big hammer for his team and ended up failing utterly on a very personal level, now lays off the result of the game to supernatural causes.

Yo, Randle! You never pulled your thumb out of your ***. Go figure on that.

GrapevineSooner
11/27/2012, 10:24 AM
The TD pass at the end of the first half to Stills had an element of luck. But that was after OSU got a bit lucky on the 3rd down conversion by Josh Stewart.

This game wasn't won on luck. It was won on execution. Five times OSU's offense gave them a lead in this game. Five times, OSU's defense coughed it up.

Deal, Randle.

tycat947
11/27/2012, 10:38 AM
What a loser... Literally

A LosuR!

redkid
11/27/2012, 10:42 AM
gramps always said good fortune follows good people and turns its back on evil

Pricetag
11/27/2012, 10:52 AM
Baylor is going to butt whoop on them if they don't get their heads right.

soonerinabilene
11/27/2012, 10:56 AM
I don't get the whole "We celebrated so much because we thought we would lose" arguement. I read that on gopokes and orangepower, too. We celebrated because it was a walkoff win. If Jeter hits a walkoff homer in the bottom of the 10th against the Royals, the Yankees still rush the field and mob him on the trip from 3rd to home, even though it was against a crappy team they know they should beat every time. That's the beauty of a walloff win.

redkid
11/27/2012, 10:59 AM
Baylor is going to butt whoop on them if they don't get their heads right.
true,,I see a high scoring game,and OSU defense will not be able to stop the scoring of Baylor,,I forsee the fighting briles to put a whipping on them

Wishboned
11/27/2012, 11:31 AM
"They should have been celebrating,'' running back Joseph Randle said. "You should celebrate when you get lucky. We feel like they got lucky and, you know, they won the game and we lost, so they deserved to celebrate that win.''

Randle said the way the Sooners celebrated "means that they felt like they should have lost coming into the game. You know, regardless of rankings and all of that different stuff, they didn't think they was going to come in there and just blow us out. I guarantee you that. We felt like we was going to blow them out, honestly. I felt like, `This was going to be easy.' But it is what it is. We lost. They won. Congratulations.''

Is that the slogan for losers this year? It is what it is?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/27/2012, 11:34 AM
I don't get the whole "We celebrated so much because we thought we would lose" arguement. I read that on gopokes and orangepower, too. We celebrated because it was a walkoff win. If Jeter hits a walkoff homer in the bottom of the 10th against the Royals, the Yankees still rush the field and mob him on the trip from 3rd to home, even though it was against a crappy team they know they should beat every time. That's the beauty of a walloff win.

There was a pretty big celebration when we beat baylor in OT back in what..06..

SoonerInLubbock
11/27/2012, 11:42 AM
I watched the Gundy presser and he seemed to have handled it with class, he really is a likable guy. But as for the rest of the staff and players it seems like business as usual...and by that I mean aggie.

olevetonahill
11/27/2012, 12:13 PM
I watched the Gundy presser and he seemed to have handled it with class, he really is a likable guy. But as for the rest of the staff and players it seems like business as usual...and by that I mean aggie.

I think there's a Trim Carpenter and a female Reporter that will disagree with ya on the Likable part

sooneredaco
11/27/2012, 12:20 PM
I watched the Gundy presser and he seemed to have handled it with "class", he really is a likable guy. But as for the rest of the staff and players it seems like business as usual...and by that I mean aggie.

That's rare...

cvsooner
11/27/2012, 12:30 PM
There was a pretty big celebration when we beat baylor in OT back in what..06..
2005. Bomar was the QB.

cvsooner
11/27/2012, 12:32 PM
To a certain extent, we were lucky. But it wasn't the deciding factor in the game. They were also lucky...rewatching the game last night, I saw a good six plays where we had a guy dead to rights in the backfield or for a short gain. We could've snuffed out some drives early. Some normally sure tacklers missed or overran the play. So is it luck or skill?

PrideMom
11/27/2012, 12:32 PM
Why are we concerned about what the Aggies think after OU won the game. For that matter why do we care at any time?

olevetonahill
11/27/2012, 12:34 PM
Why are we concerned about what the Aggies think after OU won the game. For that matter why do we care at any time?

Cause they AINT a Rival
Pay Tention

soonerboy_odanorth
11/27/2012, 12:55 PM
Dear Joseph Randle and Josh Stewart,

The flat-out truth is, Oklahoma can't play with us. They are not good enough. Let me tell you, it might not even be close, and I mean that.

Sincerely,

Steve Taylor, NU '87

8timechamps
11/27/2012, 12:59 PM
You make your own luck.

I don't really get the big deal about the post game celebration either. Not only was it an OT win, it was the last home game of the year for a lot of seniors. Not really hard to explain the celebration.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/27/2012, 01:02 PM
The most laughable part is how insulted they are that we would have the nerve to celebrate... a mere one season removed from them trampling all over themselves rushing the field to tear down their own goalposts. They are idiots. Period.

BoulderSooner79
11/27/2012, 01:09 PM
Winning is good. Celebration is good. Luck is good (unless it's bad :D). Where's the insult here?

toast
11/27/2012, 01:13 PM
Let them have their moral victory, we'll take scoreboard.

Phil
11/27/2012, 01:26 PM
As I have said before - when Aggy doesn't tear down the goalposts when they beat us, I'll be worried. Hasn't happened yet, and not likely to happen.

Soonerjeepman
11/27/2012, 01:36 PM
Not really hard to explain the celebration.

you're talkin about explaining to aggies...yes it is~ :-)

Seamus
11/27/2012, 01:43 PM

http://images.politico.com/global/blogs/110801_kelsey_grammar_465_ap.jpg

Sez you!

Salt City Sooner
11/27/2012, 02:18 PM
My thoughts exactly. This is a college junior.
You have to remember, this is the school where Dexter Manley gradiatead from. Oh, wait..........:D

picasso
11/27/2012, 02:32 PM
John Helsley wrote an article about the celebration yesterday. I guess it's some kind of badge of honor for those poor saps.

Jacie
11/27/2012, 02:42 PM
Was it luck in 1983 when an onside kick bounced off an aggie's helmet as OU recovers the ball and goes on to score 18 points in the final 13 minutes of the game to win by 1?

Was it luck when Pat Jones called timeout with only enough time for one play thinking OU would punt the ball, giving his team an opportunity to block it or set up a return, instead Gibbs releases the kraken (OUr freshman quarterback Gundy) and the Sooners score on the Cale Mary pass to the endzone?

Were any of those pass-and-run for scores late in the 2010 game luck?

Is belief in superstition a requirement to attend OSU or just play football there?

TanTanFeil
11/27/2012, 03:20 PM
So Aggie

Yep. Bingo

TanTanFeil
11/27/2012, 03:22 PM

Perfect explanation

tycat947
11/27/2012, 03:25 PM
The most laughable part is how insulted they are that we would have the nerve to celebrate... a mere one season removed from them trampling all over themselves rushing the field to tear down their own goalposts. They are idiots. Period.

BINGO!

goingoneight
11/27/2012, 03:36 PM
I guess Jo Randle can phone up Damien Williams, David King, Frank Shannon, Gabe Ikard, Nila Kasitati, Ben Habern, Tyler Evans, Austin Woods and a couple more and tell them how "lucky" they are. I had respect for this kid til that comment. I guess he'll go down with Toby Gerhart for saying how OU was "lucky" back in 2009. So lucky that by the time they played, they were without four All Americans and four other starters.

Hot Rod
11/27/2012, 04:10 PM
Yeah, we were just lucky that Gundy can't count sheep and allows 12 in the huddle.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/27/2012, 04:21 PM
He Prolly try an Fleece meDid OU offer him a scholly, back when he "attended" high school?

11/27/2012, 04:29 PM
gramps always said good fortune follows good people and turns its back on evilHey hey hey, NOW we're talkin'!!!

11/27/2012, 04:31 PM
Baylor is going to butt whoop on them if they don't get their heads right.and, wouldn't THAT be a cryin' shame? haha

11/27/2012, 04:34 PM
Why are we concerned about what the Aggies think after OU won the game. For that matter why do we care at any time?HEAR HEAR, DEAR!

cvsooner
11/27/2012, 06:05 PM
Luck is the quarterback with the Colts.

MamaMia
11/27/2012, 06:25 PM
The celebration did not occur because of any belief on the part of our team that they were going to lose. If our team thought they were going to lose, they would not of kept fighting until the end.

The game was our seniors last home game and a closely fought game that was won in overtime, so when and where was all that energy from such a victory going to happen if not at the end of the game?

mdklatt
11/27/2012, 08:12 PM
If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts OKLAST would have never lost a football game ever.

goingoneight
11/27/2012, 08:34 PM
I give even the most obnoxious fans credit... oSu has made a better series out of this the last three years and it looks like more barn-burners are coming. But the "luck," blaming the refs and all the off-season ****-talking they did on Landry Jones makes this victory sweet. Landry had one of, if not the most impressive outings by a QB in BIG 12 history against a group who has been dogging him all year long after last season.

Makes a difference when he's not throwing to Kameel Jackson, Trey Franks and Joe Powell, doesn't it, aggy DBs?

picasso
11/29/2012, 06:35 PM

So true. That was the best team in Poke's sordid history. We were slightly above average without Broyles.

They should have expected to win right?

nutinbutdust
11/29/2012, 07:32 PM
Well we will know the lOSUrs have made it as a program when they don't tear down their own goal posts after a win. I never understood why anyone would tear down their own goalposts. Maybe the sheep humpers at OP could explain that?

fadada1
11/29/2012, 08:46 PM
we're still talking about something that has happened 83 out of 107 attempts. said another way, osu is still talking about something that has happened 83 out of 107 times. THEY LOST!!!!

if this were an exam, osu would score 15.8% - we'll be generous and round up to 16%. while we all know this is a passing grade for senior level animal husbandry classes at osu, and dexter manley's GPA calculated as a percentage... a 16% success rate is pathetic at best.

i agree with phil - the day they don't rip down the goal posts after beating us, is the same day i'll take the mayan prophesy as gospel.

OUInformant
11/29/2012, 09:19 PM
Nice.

C'mon man. They have the best offense ever. Anybody who beats them is flat out lucky. They should really be 11-0, but 4 teams got lucky against them.

MyT Oklahoma
11/29/2012, 10:23 PM
Is that the slogan for losers this year? It is what it is?

Well, yeah. :chuncky:

yermom
11/29/2012, 10:35 PM
Well we will know the lOSUrs have made it as a program when they don't tear down their own goal posts after a win. I never understood why anyone would tear down their own goalposts. Maybe the sheep humpers at OP could explain that?

well, it seemed pretty cool after beating Nebraska

that's a little different though. we are the goalpost team now.

birddog
11/30/2012, 09:29 PM
we won and i can't wait to play em again. oh well, good luck with basketball.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/1/2012, 09:32 AM
Lucky? No. Last ones with the ball, good clock management to get to OT. In OT, actually played defense for once and ended up with more points. Luck would have been a sheep wandering into the stadium and sitting on the sideline distracting the OSU players.

Hahahaaaa!

bixby28
12/1/2012, 09:44 AM
Luck ? It's not like OSU dropped a TD pass in the endzone and lost by 6.

"Luck" is better demonstrated by their bowl win over Stanford.

StoopTroup
12/1/2012, 01:35 PM
Baylor getting lucky today....

Boomer Mooner
12/1/2012, 02:16 PM
Very lucky judging by the score.

CowboyMRW
12/1/2012, 02:53 PM

In our defense, it wasn't just because of OU. It was the fact that we just won the Big 12 and punched our ticket to the Fiesta for sure, and there was still some hope at a MNC shot. The fact that we beat yall to do just put the icing on the cake.

picasso
12/1/2012, 03:30 PM
In our defense, it wasn't just because of OU. It was the fact that we just won the Big 12 and punched our ticket to the Fiesta for sure, and there was still some hope at a MNC shot. The fact that we beat yall to do just put the icing on the cake.

Yeah I see what you mean but you guys have done it the last 3 times you've beaten us.

StoopTroup
12/1/2012, 03:46 PM
Here goes a lucky on-sides kick....

StoopTroup
12/1/2012, 03:47 PM
Lucky Wind and they get another shot...

Boomer Mooner
12/1/2012, 03:47 PM
Lucky for OSU

StoopTroup
12/1/2012, 03:48 PM
Well....isn't that lucky....they can't keep the ball on the tee.....

Baylor Ball....Luckily....

CowboyMRW
12/1/2012, 03:50 PM
Yeah I see what you mean but you guys have done it the last 3 times you've beaten us.

I was just a young un during the 2002 game, so I definitely don't remember whenever we won before then, so I can't comment on the circumstances of it. I won't lie, I was one that stormed the field last year. It was a blast.

What exactly is the big deal with storming fields. Isn't CFB all about having a good time with thousands of other fans. I know the deal with the perception of act like you've been there before, but for thousands of college fans, they don't think like the older folk. They're all about having a good time, consequences be damned. If you take down a top ranked team, I don't see a big deal in people rushing the field. As long as no one goes to the losing team and no one gets hurt.

Boomer Mooner
12/1/2012, 03:50 PM
Entertaining! Looks like the pokes get unlucky again.

Wishboned
12/1/2012, 03:55 PM
I was just a young un during the 2002 game, so I definitely don't remember whenever we won before then, so I can't comment on the circumstances of it. I won't lie, I was one that stormed the field last year. It was a blast.

What exactly is the big deal with storming fields. Isn't CFB all about having a good time with thousands of other fans. I know the deal with the perception of act like you've been there before, but for thousands of college fans, they don't think like the older folk. They're all about having a good time, consequences be damned. If you take down a top ranked team, I don't see a big deal in people rushing the field. As long as no one goes to the losing team and no one gets hurt.

Well according to Mr. Randle any post game celebration means you didn't think you were going to win...and you got lucky.

yukonsooner
12/1/2012, 04:51 PM
Wow, I guess Baylor was just lucky today also. How's that working for you Mr. Randle. I bet Baylor celebrated, and they like us, don't consider you a rival.

StoopTroup
12/1/2012, 04:52 PM
Wow, I guess Baylor was just lucky today also. How's that working for you Mr. Randle. I bet Baylor celebrated, and they like us, don't consider you a rival.

I saw one of them signing autographs. I bet that chapped his a$$.....:D

FirstandGoal
12/1/2012, 05:18 PM
So OK LAST got Baylored today.

Heh.

Crimsontothecore
12/1/2012, 05:44 PM
Luck is when your school has it's best QB/receiver duo in school history and those two players never have to play a down in Norman during their two year start. And, they manage one win on their second try, at home, after OU loses it's best receiver and RB. And on top of all that, Texas is playing their worst ball in over a decade.

That's LUCK! following a conference title year with a 5-loss season is not the definition of a program that has "arrived." It's the definition of a LUCKY one year wonder.

Jmorales22
12/1/2012, 05:56 PM
Luck is when your school has it's best QB/receiver duo in school history and those two players never have to play a down in Norman during their two year start. And, they manage one win on their second try, at home, after OU loses it's best receiver and RB. And on top of all that, Texas is playing their worst ball in over a decade.

That's LUCK! following a conference title year with a 5-loss season is not the definition of a program that has "arrived." It's the definition of a LUCKY one year wonder.

I agree with all of this and furthermore, during those two seasons OU had the toughest schedule of them all when you look at who were the top teams in the conference. All of those details are often overlooked.

With that being said, I wouldn't count out the Pokes to rise again. They played decently this year with what they had, and lost some close ones. They're still a good team and probably will continue to be as long as Gundy is there.

goingoneight
12/1/2012, 06:29 PM
7-5 with narrow losses and one embarassment despite defensive collapses all year long sounds like OU in 1999. Not saying they'll win it all next year... but they do have a ton of guys coming back. We've all seen it a number of times where a tough season of competitive and disappointing losses makes for a better team the next year.

mdklatt
12/1/2012, 06:36 PM
7-5 with narrow losses and one embarassment despite defensive collapses all year long sounds like OU in 1999. Not saying they'll win it all next year... but they do have a ton of guys coming back. We've all seen it a number of times where a tough season of competitive and disappointing losses makes for a better team the next year.

Team on the rise!