PDA

View Full Version : new JC Commit, Punter JED BARNETT

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/27/2012, 01:04 AM
http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=8&c=1&nid=6354013

here's the Rivls page: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Jed-Barnett-144864;_ylt=AtyUi0ixhfa3wXLKf5.HJiZIPZB4

11/27/2012, 01:14 AM
Written by Kevin Carden, West Recruiting Analyst

Laney College punter Jed Barnett took an official visit to Norman, Oklahoma for the big rivalry game against Oklahoma and Oklahoma State this past weekend and was so impressed with the trip that he committed to the Sooners early today.

“I’m very excited and extremely blessed for the opportunity to play for Oklahoma. I had the opportunity to go visit this last weekend for Bedlam against Oklahoma State and the atmosphere of the town was truly special,” said Barnett. “It is really a place that I want to be a part of and when I had the opportunity to commit I definitely saw myself there.

“I will come in as a punter. That is what I have been focusing on the last couple of years. I have two years to play two, for sure, with the possibility of three.”

Barnett, a one-time Louisiana Tech verbal commit, said he developed a strong bond with the Oklahoma coaches and players while on his official visit and felt it was the perfect fit.

“My relationship with the players and coaches was awesome and I was really excited when I officially committed today,” he said. “They expressed interest and it was something that I wanted to talk to my parents about and make sure that I had thought everything through, and I really couldn’t think of a better place to go than Oklahoma.”

The JUCO transfer says he can’t wait to play for head coach Bob Stoops and special teams coordinator Bobby Jack Wright.

“First off all my relationship with Coach Wright and Coach Stoops and my relationship with the team were big factors, and both were really strong. I also really loved Norman, the town, the campus and it is just a great place to play football and a great place academically.”

Barnett averaged 41.3 yards per punt on 65 punt attempts, with just four touchbacks and 15 punts downed inside the 20.

He was the Laney College Special Teams MVP.

11/27/2012, 01:32 AM
More on this guy...wow, impressive!

Re: Jed Barnett to OU? (JUCO Punter)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess he drank a cup of coffee at Cal.

CAL CAREER (Career Stats):

2010: Redshirted

HIGH SCHOOL: An All-State punter as a senior in
2009 when he had a huge season, averaging over 50 yards per punt and
also recording 56 touchbacks as a kicker ... earned All-Region and
first-team All-3A Greater St. Helens League recognition in each of his
final two campaigns ... added three Team MVP honors for special teams
... made 18-of-24 (75%) field goal attempts during his prep career ...
squad won back-to-back 3-A Greater St. Helens League titles in each of
his final two seasons ... posted the nation's longest punt of the season
at 63 yards (all in the air) to win the Ray Guy Longest Punt in the
Nation honors as a junior ... also played three seasons of prep soccer
and was a second-team All-GSHL choice as a junior in 2008 ...
participated in the javelin during his senior campaign ... also a winner
of many awards off the field, being named first-team All-GSHL Academic
in each of his final three seasons, while adding a school leadership
award and a Senior Class Council spot in his final year of high school
... a member of the Interact Community Service Club and the Senior
Associated Student Body.

Boomer.....
11/27/2012, 08:28 AM
Good deal! Sounds like he has quite a leg.

Soonerjeepman
11/27/2012, 02:38 PM
good...guess I'd be a little more excited for a D lineman...or O lineman...lol. Need good punters as well. I do hope we don't go the 5/6 scholarships on kickers route again. Well we already have a RsFR on rooster, 6'3 215...interesting...and 5 kickers. wow, wonder if other D1 schools have that many.