PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Think Saxet Can Pull Off The K-State Upset?

Judge Smails
11/26/2012, 07:17 PM
Seeing as how this game directly affects our potential CC, does anyone think Saxet can pull off the upset?

BTW, McCoy is starting over Ash......

AUSTIN, Texas -- The Longhorns (No. 18 BCS, No. 23 AP) will have a different starter under center for the first time this season when they play Kansas State (No. 6 BCS, No. 7 AP) in the last game of the season.

Case McCoy, who started five games last season, has been named the starter. McCoy has twice relieved David Ash, and he picked up the win with two fourth-quarter touchdowns against Kansas. He went 11-of-17 for 110 yards with an interception and a touchdown drive in relief of Ash against TCU on Thursday in a game Texas lost 20-13.

Mack Brown had no qualms in declaring that Ash would be "really good in the future," but the Texas coach refused to say if the sophomore quarterback's future was as a starter at Texas.

"I see David being a good player in the future," he said a second time when asked if Ash's future was as the starter for Texas in 2013.

Ash has been listed as questionable for the Kansas State game due to a rib injury.

The switching of starters could be perceived as a step back for Texas. The Longhorns went through 2011 alternating starters and finally settled on Ash as the full-time starter in August. The sophomore, however, has struggled with his consistency against Oklahoma, Kansas and TCU.

McCoy came on in relief in all three of those games -- Ash was injured in the OU game -- and was 21-of-33 for 321 yards with three touchdowns and one interception. In Ash's 17 starts he has been pulled four times.

"(McCoy) came in against Kansas State last year and gave us a chance," said Brown. "This is a great opportunity for him to do what he did against Kansas."

Ash's primary issue has been throwing ill-timed interceptions. He has thrown seven picks, with all coming inside the opponent's 30-yard line. Four of those interceptions came in losses to OU and TCU.

McCoy's last start was against Baylor last season. He had four interceptions and two fumbles in a loss. McCoy did not see another snap that season, as Ash played the entire Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl and was awarded MVP.

McCoy has played in seven games this season, completing 66.7 percent of his passes with the one aforementioned interception. Ash initially won the job because of his ability to manage the game and make the right decision at the right time. In fact, even after Ash was pulled in the Kansas game and McCoy came on to win the game, Texas elected to go back to Ash because he gave the Longhorns the best chance to win.

Ash has completed 67.7 percent of his passes with 17 touchdowns and seven interceptions. His pass efficiency rating of 154.9 ranks him 19th in FBS. But his stats could be slightly misleading, as his seven 2012 wins -- the KU win was not factored in -- have come against defenses collectively rated 82nd overall and 87th in pass defense.

McCoy brings the ability to scramble but also an air of danger. While scrambling and keeping plays alive could be his greatest asset, McCoy has been known to force balls into tight windows where they have been picked. That was the case against TCU, as McCoy, trying to rally the team down seven points, scrambled and forced a ball to Jaxon Shipley. TCU had three defensive backs in the area and intercepted the pass to seal the win.

McCoy started five games as a sophomore and was 3-2. The three wins were over UCLA, Iowa State and Texas A&M. His losses came against Oklahoma and Baylor.

In its past 24 games, Texas has changed starters six times.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/26/2012, 07:36 PM
I think tx would rather NOT SEE OU WIN the Big 12, than save Mack's job.

texas bandman
11/26/2012, 07:38 PM
Texas sucks, do probably not.

8timechamps
11/26/2012, 07:39 PM
I don't think there is any way that Texas wins that game. KSU had their one bad game for the year, and it happened to be against a very good offensive team. Texas would have to play perfect and KSU would have to play as bad as they did against Baylor. I guess it could happen, but I doubt it. Sadly.

SoonerStormchaser
11/26/2012, 07:49 PM
Nope...not a snowball's chance in hell.

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2012, 07:49 PM
It could be a weird game. Both teams coming off longer than normal delays after tough losses. KSU has to recover from the shock of being knocked out of the BCS title game. The horns were dreaming of punking us for an at large BCS bid by beating KSU and forgot about little 'ol TCU coming to town.

My guess is that KSU will get over the title bid thing and remember they don't win the conference very often. UT putting McCoy at QB seems like desperation. It could give them a little, spark, but that KSU D will pressure him into critical mistakes.

EatLeadCommie
11/26/2012, 07:50 PM
It is certainly possible. Klein hasn't looked the same since his injury. McCoy sucks as bad as Ash though.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/26/2012, 07:57 PM
K.State is gonna whip em! Bad!

Harris County Sooner
11/26/2012, 07:59 PM
I am going to root for the former Big 6 school.

I Am Right
11/26/2012, 08:04 PM
No

VA Sooner
11/26/2012, 08:55 PM
Nope.

Peeb
11/26/2012, 08:58 PM
Anything is possible but I expect Kansas State to win in a romp.

The Big 12 has been hard to predict this year, however...

cvsooner
11/26/2012, 09:02 PM
Yeah, unless Klein AND Hubert are hurt...and somehow the missing starters from Texas make their way back on the field somehow...I just don't see this happening.

But then in 2006 I never expected aTm to beat Texas and give us a shot at winning the Big 12 title either.

Salt City Sooner
11/26/2012, 09:07 PM
Yeah, unless Klein AND Hubert are hurt...and somehow the missing starters from Texas make their way back on the field somehow...I just don't see this happening.

But then in 2006 I never expected aTm to beat Texas and give us a shot at winning the Big 12 title either.
Funny thing about that game was that it was the back end of a double choke for the 'horns. If they hadn't lost to KSU the game prior, the A&M loss wouldn't have mattered.

Jacie
11/26/2012, 10:20 PM
Take the cats, give the points.

FtwTxSooner
11/26/2012, 10:25 PM
F'n tech beat us at home last year. Anything can happen.

Turd_Ferguson
11/26/2012, 10:40 PM
On any given Saturday...

mdklatt
11/26/2012, 10:51 PM
Texas is no Baylor.

jk the sooner fan
11/26/2012, 10:52 PM
i dont for a minute think that longhorn team would lay down and lose simply to keep OU from winning the conference title outright - and anybody that believes that has never played competitive sports

however......lets see, the horns have the athletes to win this game- but they wont

it's Kstate's senior day, it's their chance to claim a conference title, it's their chance to make up for that debacle in Waco

no, the purple kitties will run away with this game - might be close at half - but thats about it

blacktop
11/26/2012, 11:57 PM
Texas sucks, do probably not.

I agree - texas sucks!

winout
11/27/2012, 12:04 AM
I would be shocked, shocked.. I tell you.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/27/2012, 12:27 AM
Texas is no Baylor.But, it ain't Mack's fault. YOU STAY, MACK!!! We love ya, babe.

redkid
11/27/2012, 01:39 AM
Going out on a long shaky limb here,but I say Texas pulls it out,,we stomp TCU and yes OU brings home the trophy,,there I said it,I feel better now,Go SOONERS

MyT Oklahoma
11/27/2012, 02:16 AM
I am going to root for the former Big 6 school.

That makes two of us and my answer is no, Texas will not win in Manhattan.

However, anything is possible so I will watch the game to see what actually happens.

FriscoTXsooner
11/27/2012, 08:52 AM
I think the kitties will thrash the horns, and let's face it, do we really want to go back to the Fiesta bowl? I think it's setting up for us to head down to the Sugar Bowl and play Florida, as long as we take care of business in Fort Worth this weekend. That said, it's going to be a tough game for us, but I think we'll put it all together and beat TCU 35-17. Landry will throw 3 TD's Trey Millard will score a TD, and we'll have a pick-6 on defense. Then it will be time to eat some Gator down in Norleans!

cleller
11/27/2012, 08:54 AM
Negatory there, Pigpen.

SunnySooner
11/27/2012, 10:13 AM
Texas is no Baylor.

Can't...stop...laughing....oh, my ribs....

oudanny
11/27/2012, 11:15 AM
There's always a chance but I expect an old fashioned butt thumping by the 'Cats.

Scott D
11/27/2012, 11:17 AM
It's possible, if colt wasn't starting for the browns this week he could replace six-pack and the only way people would notice is that he'd not look as goofy.

stoopified
11/27/2012, 12:14 PM
No..........BUT who thought Baylor would beat K-State?

cvsooner
11/27/2012, 12:35 PM
Funny thing about that game was that it was the back end of a double choke for the 'horns. If they hadn't lost to KSU the game prior, the A&M loss wouldn't have mattered.

Yeah, exactly. I wasn't all that surprised they lost to K State, 'cause it's a Bill Snyder team. But to lose to aTm the following week just seemed so improbable...I couldn't imagine it ever happening.

PrideMom
11/27/2012, 12:41 PM
It is difficult to hope for such a thing.......I can't stand either: Texas because of their attitude, and KSU because they always manage to injure key players.

8timechamps
11/27/2012, 12:45 PM
I think the kitties will thrash the horns, and let's face it, do we really want to go back to the Fiesta bowl? I think it's setting up for us to head down to the Sugar Bowl and play Florida, as long as we take care of business in Fort Worth this weekend. That said, it's going to be a tough game for us, but I think we'll put it all together and beat TCU 35-17. Landry will throw 3 TD's Trey Millard will score a TD, and we'll have a pick-6 on defense. Then it will be time to eat some Gator down in Norleans!

There has been discussion on ESPN that even if OU wins the conference outright, that the Fiesta and Sugar may swap teams and allow OU to go to the Sugar and KSU to the Fiesta.

Fraggle145
11/27/2012, 12:46 PM
No.

Salt City Sooner
11/27/2012, 02:08 PM
Yeah, exactly. I wasn't all that surprised they lost to K State, 'cause it's a Bill Snyder team. But to lose to aTm the following week just seemed so improbable...I couldn't imagine it ever happening.
2006 was the first year of the trainwreck known as Ron Prince, & to be fair, no way does UT lose that game if McCoy doesn't get hurt on the first drive. Heck, they only lost by a FG with Snead playing the rest of the way.

cjames317
11/27/2012, 02:11 PM
Nope nope nope ... but they still pulled in the top OL 2014 recruit, Demetrius Knox.

Midtowner
11/27/2012, 02:17 PM
Texas is no Baylor.

That's just spectacular.

bluedogok
11/27/2012, 02:58 PM
If K-State gives the ball away like they did at Baylor, then yes Texas could win but K-State only did that in one game this season. I don't see it happening but that's why they play the game.

cvsooner
11/27/2012, 03:26 PM
2006 was the first year of the trainwreck known as Ron Prince, & to be fair, no way does UT lose that game if McCoy doesn't get hurt on the first drive. Heck, they only lost by a FG with Snead playing the rest of the way. But that was still mostly a Snyder team, since he retired only the year before. And losing McCoy was big, true, but...I didn't see it coming, but as I say, I wasn't all that surprised, since KSU has kinda had UT's number for a while. Which, unfortunately, is all the more reason that they won't lose this weekend--at Senior Day--in Bill Freaking Snyder Stadium--and a Big 12 title. What's Texas got to play for? Mack's job? :glee:

SicEmBaylor
11/27/2012, 03:30 PM
I think tx would rather NOT SEE OU WIN the Big 12, than save Mack's job.

Not according to the brain trust at Shaggy. They'd rather lose every game until Mack is fired than have him continue as coach.

SicEmBaylor
11/27/2012, 03:32 PM

Unfortunately, I did not have the courtesy to warn the Kats to prepare their anus.

PalmBeachSooner
11/27/2012, 06:38 PM
Shhh!!!! My whorn wife is in the other room.

(Whispering) Has Texas learned to tackle yet? Didn't think so. KSU will run all over them..

BajaOklahoma
11/27/2012, 08:26 PM
The horns around here want Mack gone. They can't agree on who they want to replace him, but they want a big name coach. No assistants or coordinators are good enough to be the next Head Coach of America's Team, the texas whorns.

SicEmBaylor
11/27/2012, 08:27 PM
The horns around here want Mack gone. They can't agree on who they want to replace him, but they want a big name coach. No assistants or coordinators are good enough to be the next Head Coach of America's Team, the texas whorns.

There are some great coordinators out there that will make fantastic HC's. Stoops is a good example. The problem is, for every Stoops you find there are a hundred Kevin Steele's.

BajaOklahoma
11/27/2012, 08:32 PM
I didn't say they were smart horns, just opinionated ones.

Jacie
11/27/2012, 08:36 PM
And in their arrogance, they believe all they have to do is crook a finger at someone such as Saban and they will come running to them, weeping tears of joy at the opportunity to become a whorn.

They still don't get it.

SicEmBaylor
11/27/2012, 08:42 PM
And in their arrogance, they believe all they have to do is crook a finger at someone such as Saban and they will come running to them, weeping tears of joy at the opportunity to become a whorn.

They still don't get it.

Their position is essentially one of my mottos in life "Everyone is a whore, we're just haggling over price." They believe UT athletics can offer a number that would make any coach drop where they are and go to Austin. I believe everyone has their number, but getting Saban to Austin would take one hell of a massive *** number.

bluedogok
11/27/2012, 08:48 PM
...and would still **** off much of the administration because he isn't the kiss-*** that Mack or Royal were. The problem is they want a Saban with the glad handing of administration and donors like Mack. That is why UT may be the most difficult top tier job in college football in spite of the advantages they have. Saban and Stoops try to do just enough to placate everyone in those positions, they aren't going to go beyond that like Mack has always done.

sooneron
11/27/2012, 09:00 PM
However, anything is possible so I will watch the game to see what actually happens.

http://zipmeme.com/uploads/generated/g1347396400902062903.jpg

:D

SicEmBaylor
11/27/2012, 09:10 PM
...and would still **** off much of the administration because he isn't the kiss-*** that Mack or Royal were. The problem is they want a Saban with the glad handing of administration and donors like Mack. That is why UT may be the most difficult top tier job in college football in spite of the advantages they have. Saban and Stoops try to do just enough to placate everyone in those positions, they aren't going to go beyond that like Mack has always done.

Exactly right.

cjames317
11/28/2012, 11:04 AM
sMack keeps his job and his staff if they beat the cats. That's the best result for the long term.

mdklatt
11/28/2012, 09:23 PM
sMack keeps his job and his staff if they beat the cats. That's the best result for the long term.

They might still have to deal with Lassie Aggy in the Cotton Bowl (game), which might be a similar result for Texas as their trip to the Cotton Bowl (stadium). Can you imagine the collective implosion if Mack survived that? I'm giddy just thinking about the possibility!

I Am Right
11/28/2012, 09:53 PM
no

BigTip
11/28/2012, 11:09 PM
dem McCoy boys is winners

SoonerNomad
11/29/2012, 02:30 PM
As I often say, worse teams than Texas have beaten better teams than Kansas State. Hopefully, we can take care of TCU early and I can start rooting for the Longhorns. (Did I just write that out loud?)

OUInformant
11/29/2012, 09:08 PM
Yes, I think Texas can win. If they are playing for Mack's job, then you will see extra energy.

8timechamps
11/29/2012, 10:21 PM
Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? NO!

Okie35
11/30/2012, 03:18 PM
No KsU owns Texas plus its senior night. The only way I see them losing is if we win and Klein tries to come out and do too much. He'll play with too much pressure. Plus Mccoy isn't a great passer

zeke
11/30/2012, 04:33 PM
Nope...not a snowball's chance in hell.

^this^

Judge Smails
11/30/2012, 05:41 PM
Sheephumpers screwed Klein up with that hit.

Whorns are out to prove something.

Saxet pulls off the upset.

VA Sooner
11/30/2012, 09:07 PM
But, it ain't Mack's fault. YOU STAY, MACK!!! We love ya, babe.

That's right. Mack just needs more time...

SanJoaquinSooner
11/30/2012, 11:19 PM
Not unless Snyder had a labotomy this evening and Mack got a Charly operation.

FirstandGoal
12/1/2012, 01:31 AM
Sheephumpers screwed Klein up with that hit.

Whorns are out to prove something.

Saxet pulls off the upset.

LOL, this reminds me of a haiku