PDA

View Full Version : Why is it so bad to consider OSU a rival?

8timechamps
11/26/2012, 04:39 PM
I got the chance to take my boys to the game Saturday, and the entire weekend, every time I alluded to the Bedlam game being a "rivalry", I was always interrupted by someone telling me that "OSU is NOT a rival".

I get the whole "you have to win more than one in every ten to be a rival" argument, but I also think true rivalries go beyond the series record. For Bedlam, it's all about both schools being in the same state. There is no shame in calling OSU a rival. Hell, they've played more like a rival than Texas has lately.

There is no doubt that the Pokes are here to stay for a while, so it's fair to say they are a good program. Who knows how long it will last, but it's true for now. Why can't some acknowledge Bedlam as a rivalry game?

Also, Thanks to the fine folks in section 24...GREAT atmosphere.

winout
11/26/2012, 04:44 PM
Rivalries are earned.

SunnySooner
11/26/2012, 04:46 PM
IDK...I guess because it gives some credence to the theory that they actually HAVE a football team up there. They've been such...well, LosuRs for so long, calling them a "rival" means that we think they are a threat on a CONSISTENT basis.

Talk to me in 10 years--if they have the lead on us in that time, I'll reconsider. For now, meh. Still orange-headed stepchildren.

8timechamps
11/26/2012, 04:47 PM
IDK...I guess because it gives some credence to the theory that they actually HAVE a football team up there. They've been such...well, LosuRs for so long, calling them a "rival" means that we think they are a threat on a CONSISTENT basis.

Talk to me in 10 years--if they have the lead on us in that time, I'll reconsider. For now, meh. Still orange-headed stepchildren.

Well, that's a rational argument. At least something that makes some sense.

Midtowner
11/26/2012, 04:49 PM
It was approaching rivalry under Les Miles, but nowadays, the 40-year-old man ain't gettin' it done.

Sooner24
11/26/2012, 04:50 PM
I got the chance to take my boys to the game Saturday, and the entire weekend, every time I alluded to the Bedlam game being a "rivalry", I was always interrupted by someone telling me that "OSU is NOT a rival".

I get the whole "you have to win more than one in every ten to be a rival" argument, but I also think true rivalries go beyond the series record. For Bedlam, it's all about both schools being in the same state. There is no shame in calling OSU a rival. Hell, they've played more like a rival than Texas has lately.

There is no doubt that the Pokes are here to stay for a while, so it's fair to say they are a good program. Who knows how long it will last, but it's true for now. Why can't some acknowledge Bedlam as a rivalry game?

Are seats are in section 24 and you're welcome. ;)

ouwasp
11/26/2012, 04:52 PM
Because that's what poke fans want. They hate OU more than they like their own team.

Indifference is the best way to treat them.

jkjsooner
11/26/2012, 04:54 PM
To add to what SunnySooner said, if you call OSU a rival it cheapens your real rivalries. In the old days it was Texas and Nebraska. Now that we don't have Nebraska that argument doesn't hold as much.

One other clear distinction at least in my mind: We really want to beat Texas. We really do not want to lose to OSU. Winning that game is more about avoiding an embarrassment than it is about taking great satisfaction over beating a rival. That's changed over the last few years (as it has over brief periods in the past) but it is true more than not.

Look at it this way. If Ohio State played Ohio every year would they consider that a rivalry? Would they take a lot of satisfaction over beating Ohio or would it simply be a matter of avoiding an embarrassment? OSU may be a little higher profile than Ohio but you get my point.

8timechamps
11/26/2012, 04:59 PM
To add to what SunnySooner said, if you call OSU a rival it cheapens your real rivalries. In the old days it was Texas and Nebraska. Now that we don't have Nebraska that argument doesn't hold as much.

One other clear distinction at least in my mind: We really want to beat Texas. We really do not want to lose to OSU. Winning that game is more about avoiding an embarrassment than it is about taking great satisfaction over beating a rival. That's changed over the last few years (as it has over brief periods in the past) but it is true more than not.

Look at it this way. If Ohio State played Ohio every year would they consider that a rivalry? Would they take a lot of satisfaction over beating Ohio or would it simply be a matter of avoiding an embarrassment? OSU may be a little higher profile than Ohio but you get my point.

Okay, I'm getting a better picture. This weekend, the only answer I could get was "because OSU sucks!", which, while true, wasn't really an argument.

8timechamps
11/26/2012, 05:00 PM
Are seats are in section 24 and you're welcome. ;)

What row?

Wishboned
11/26/2012, 05:02 PM
Also while we had Nebraska, and we still have Texas, without OU who does OSU have as a rival? No one.

OSU is so desperate for relevance that they've tried to claim this as a rivalry for years. I don't want to give them the satisfaction.

Scott D
11/26/2012, 05:18 PM
Because 83 to 16 isn't a rivalry, it's an annual football game between two schools that happen to share the same state. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2012, 05:20 PM
Why are you taking wins away from us?

Scott D
11/26/2012, 05:22 PM
because I'm bored and not using basketball which we also own at 127-93 :)

KantoSooner
11/26/2012, 05:22 PM
Ah, I remember the good old days: OU would go up on Pokes by 25 or so, you'd stride out early second quarter to procure ale and some OSU fans would ask if you weren't being premature, you'd answer, "No, you have a quarterback named 'Gumby'" and go get your beers.
Come back and find OU now up 35 or so. Stretch, yawn, lean back. Enjoyable.

BigTip
11/26/2012, 05:24 PM
Beaten like a poor orange headed step child.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2012, 05:25 PM
They are doing amazing things as a program...Can't say enough good about what Gundy has accomplished and the coaches they have there....

That being said, Rivalries are about winning and losing..It's not about getting close, it's about winning and losing..Not talking occasionally, but when they can put up 3 or 4 Ws in a row, my mind will change..Otherwise, it's a quality win for us.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/26/2012, 05:33 PM

Talk to me in 10 years--if they have the lead on us in that time, I'll reconsider. For now, meh. Still orange-headed stepchildren.Yes, they are LosuR, and are like the fly that gets into the house when you open the door. You would rather they stay outside, where they belong.

jkjsooner
11/26/2012, 05:36 PM
I have to add one thing to what I said. I said we wanted to beat Texas but wanted to not lose to OSU. That brings up the question of Nebraska. It was a unique rivalry with much respect between the two teams - Steve Taylor's trash talking in 1987 aside. I would say we wanted to win that game more than beat Nebraska if that makes any sense. Nevertheless, it wasn't an embarrassment to lose it.

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2012, 05:57 PM
You have to look at rivalies over the years. If we look at 10 years for example:

A 5-5 record against the horns is a draw.
A 9-1 record against the pokes is a draw.

Just a different type of rivalry, I guess.

11/26/2012, 06:01 PM
You have to look at rivalies over the years. If we look at 10 years for example:

A 5-5 record against the horns is a draw.
A 9-1 record against the pokes is a draw.

Just a different type of rivalry, I guess.Through the eyes of orange colored sheep.

KABOOKIE
11/26/2012, 06:24 PM
So by the logic is ND our biggest rival? Would they even consider a 10-1 record a rival?

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2012, 06:28 PM
So by the logic is ND our biggest rival? Would they even consider a 10-1 record a rival?

Ouch! Too soon!

8timechamps
11/26/2012, 06:32 PM
Some really good points in this thread, but I still maintain that you can't dismiss the Bedlam game as just another conference game. Sure, a win in this game is much bigger for OSU, but it's still more than just "another win" for OU. Maybe rivalry isn't the right word, but it's something along those lines.

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2012, 06:40 PM
Some really good points in this thread, but I still maintain that you can't dismiss the Bedlam game as just another conference game. Sure, a win in this game is much bigger for OSU, but it's still more than just "another win" for OU. Maybe rivalry isn't the right word, but it's something along those lines.

If you and your boys had a good time at this game (and how could you not?), that's way more important than rival/non-rival issue.

8timechamps
11/26/2012, 06:47 PM
If you and your boys had a good time at this game (and how could you not?), that's way more important than rival/non-rival issue.

It was perfect. I've been to so many OU games, I lost track in the 90s, but there's nothing like taking someone to their first OU home game. I took my oldest to his first home game back in 2005. Unfortunately, it was the TCU game. I've taken both boys to several bowl games, but for one reason or another (usually because he was playing football) my youngest didn't get to a home game until this weekend.

Nowadays, I don't get to many home games, so it's always a good time. The environment afterword was so fun, I didn't mind the post game traffic.

olevetonahill
11/26/2012, 06:53 PM
Ive noticed I try to watch and see from the start of the season how saxet is lookin and what they are doing right or wrong, then comparin em to OU.

I dont do that with OsU , cause they suck the big one

GDC
11/26/2012, 08:21 PM
For Bedlam, it's all about both schools being in the same state.

Why isn't Tulsa considered a rival then?

BigTip
11/26/2012, 08:28 PM
If the game has a name does that make it a rivalry?

Or does B*dlam not count because that's the name for all the OU/pukes games in every sport?

Flying Scotsman
11/26/2012, 08:35 PM
Because 83 to 16 isn't a rivalry, it's an annual football game between two schools that happen to share the same state. :D

AMEN!!

JiminyChristmas
11/26/2012, 08:45 PM
It doesn't have to be a "rivalry" to be an important game. For us gooners, it's more of a nuisance than rivalry because of what Toby said in the pregame.

We live with, work with, go to church with, and shop with these fans 365 days a year. They have such a little brother syndrome about them that it is miserable to listen to when they do pull one off.

You always expect to beat them, but hate thinking about what if we don't.

goingoneight
11/26/2012, 08:55 PM
The same reason Arkansas State isn't Arkansas's arch rival, Chatanooga isn't UT's arch rival and UAB isn't arch rival.

Texas has ALWAYS been the program we've battled for pride, supremacy and most importantly-- recruiting. They will always be considered the arch rival. OSU getting good is like when Leach had Texas Tech rolling. We need to beat them, and beating them while they're good is huge.

cvsooner
11/26/2012, 09:06 PM
I'm of the opinion that the Dec. 7, 2013 game in Stoolwater may very well be for the conference title...and I suspect that will be the case for the next two or three years.

Sooner24
11/26/2012, 10:55 PM
What row?

66. You?

mdklatt
11/26/2012, 11:01 PM
81-18-7 is not a rivarly, it's a civil rights violation. The celebration on Saturday was not because we beat the sheep shaggers but because we won a close game in OT (first time ever at home?) that kept us alive for another possible conference championship and/or a BCS berth. I think the reaction would have been the same regardless of the opponent.

That being said, I think Hair Gel has them going in the right direction. What is it we always say about oSu? "Never a good win, always a bad loss"? I think they're starting to become a good win.

(But their fans are still ****ing ridiculous.)

11/27/2012, 12:42 AM
Some really good points in this thread, but I still maintain that you can't dismiss the Bedlam game as just another conference game. Sure, a win in this game is much bigger for OSU, but it's still more than just "another win" for OU. Maybe rivalry isn't the right word, but it's something along those lines.It's a regrettable nuisance game, and as someone before said, the good guys view it as something you just don't want to lose, instead of thinking of it as an important game you want to win.

picasso
11/27/2012, 12:56 AM
The Helsley article from today cracked me up. So, we win a game we never led in on the very last play and we aren't supposed to be excited and celebrate?
I can imagine we would have acted the same way had we come back and beaten Tech last season in Norman.

Meh.

Collier11
11/27/2012, 01:02 AM
they are more of a rivalry the last several years than ut, but I still dont consider them a real rival...more of nuisance :D

MyT Oklahoma
11/27/2012, 02:29 AM
81-18-7 is not a rivarly, it's a civil rights violation. The celebration on Saturday was not because we beat the sheep shaggers but because we won a close game in OT (first time ever at home?) that kept us alive for another possible conference championship and/or a BCS berth. I think the reaction would have been the same regardless of the opponent.

That being said, I think Hair Gel has them going in the right direction. What is it we always say about oSu? "Never a good win, always a bad loss"? I think they're starting to become a good win.

(But their fans are still ****ing ridiculous.)

That would be Baylor in 2005 I think.

Anyway it's (OU/OSU) the most lopsided intrastate game in the country so I have always looked at it as just another conference football game. But then I've never lived in Oklahoma so I've never had to listen to their fans the few times that they win.

KU and KSU so rarely beat the Sooners I hardly ever have to listen to them except way back in 1975 when they (KU) thought they walked on water until the week afterwards when Colorado beat them in Lawrence. Hee, hee and hee.

spatton713
11/27/2012, 02:40 AM
its a rivalry just the most lopsided one in college football

olevetonahill
11/27/2012, 07:55 AM
To call it a Rivalry gives THEM kinda equal status and they aint Equal by a Long shot

cleller
11/27/2012, 08:53 AM
I've also always felt the rivalry there also, just to keep the OSU people in their place, though.

I was struck when I arrived on campus in 1980, though, by the lack of interest or "rivalry" feel when it was OSU game week. Nothing like Texas or Nebraska week. For good reason, obviously. Those two teams were good, we played them every year, and were never guaranteed a win. All things OSU was not.

With Neb gone and Tex temporarily declining, and OSU improving, the game is not what it used to be. That's a bad thing, though.

Scott D
11/27/2012, 11:00 AM

a record of 1-10 is not a rivalry, it's a beatdown.

Scott D
11/27/2012, 11:04 AM
Rivalries...

OU/TX, UM/tOSU, Army/Navy

OU/OSU is just another game in the pantheon of games between teams in the same state that may or may not share a conference that means much more to the lesser accomplished program than it really is.

8timechamps
11/27/2012, 12:38 PM
66. You?

58. To think...you probably got to enjoy the back of my head!

8timechamps
11/27/2012, 12:40 PM
Why isn't Tulsa considered a rival then?

I think the two reasons Tulsa will never be anywhere near a rivalry is because 1)We don't play them annually, and 2) most people don't view Tulsa as a big time program. Not that OSU is "big time", but Tulsa isn't even on the same level.

We go head-to-head with OSU when it comes to recruiting, so I think that adds a little drama to the whole thing too.

PrideMom
11/27/2012, 12:45 PM
OSU has finally made it interesting, but for how long? T. Boone will eventually get them into trouble, and when he dies, then what?

Phil
11/27/2012, 01:28 PM
Rivalries are earned.

Indeed. That's why I don't use the B-word, and why it's censored on this site. With our record against them, they don't deserve a special name for the game or anything else. It's just another game. We don't have a special name for the OU-Kansas game, or the OU-Iowa State game, either. How is this any different? Hell, Kansas has a significantly better record against us than Aggy. It's still not good, but KU has beaten us 10 times more than Aggy in fewer games played.

Jacie
11/27/2012, 03:03 PM
If OU can never be considered their rival in wrestling (which is the sport that spawned b*dl*m) then no, they can never be considered rivals to OU in football.

Do they out-recruit OU?

Did they play in any Big XII championship games when there was one?

Have they played for a BCS championship?

Back in the day, if they won once a decade over the Sooners that was a lot.

The only argument that holds water is their record vs. Stoops.

cvsooner
11/27/2012, 03:22 PM
83-17-7...the most lopsided 'rivalry' in college football. It's like mercy sex to play them most years.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/27/2012, 04:40 PM
Because they are not a rival, never have been and never will be. This is all a media hype made up **** to sell papers.

FirstandGoal
11/27/2012, 06:50 PM
I got the chance to take my boys to the game Saturday, and the entire weekend, every time I alluded to the OU-OSU game being a "rivalry", I was always interrupted by someone telling me that "OSU is NOT a rival".

I get the whole "you have to win more than one in every ten to be a rival" argument, but I also think true rivalries go beyond the series record. For OU-OSU, it's all about both schools being in the same state. There is no shame in calling OSU a rival. Hell, they've played more like a rival than Texas has lately.

There is no doubt that the Pokes are here to stay for a while, so it's fair to say they are a good program. Who knows how long it will last, but it's true for now. Why can't some acknowledge OU-OSU as a rivalry game?

I realize this question has been answered in many great ways, but I have a great analogy that might help you understand it even better.

Lets say that you're a rich, successful attractive man. You're amazing in bed-- a thoughtful lover and very charismatic. Women throw themselves at your feet, business associates give you accolades, you've never made a bad investment. The most interesting man in the world envies you.

Now, the only flaw that you have is that you happen to have a retarded red-headed brother. Not only does he drool a lot, but he smells.
One day both of you are in a bar and you both see the hottest woman in the world.
How would it make you feel if someone else told you the brother was your rival for this woman's attentions?

StoopTroup
11/27/2012, 06:56 PM
I realize this question has been answered in many great ways, but I have a great analogy that might help you understand it even better.

Lets say that you're a rich, successful attractive man. You're amazing in bed-- a thoughtful lover and very charismatic. Women throw themselves at your feet, business associates give you accolades, you've never made a bad investment. The most interesting man in the world envies you.

Now, the only flaw that you have is that you happen to have a retarded red-headed brother. Not only does he drool a lot, but he smells.
One day both of you are in a bar and you both see the hottest woman in the world.
How would it make you feel if someone else told you the brother was your rival for this woman's attentions?

I'd think he paid her to sleep with him.

8timechamps
11/27/2012, 07:06 PM

Good lord woman, you're a literary genius!

8timechamps
11/27/2012, 07:08 PM
Indeed. That's why I don't use the B-word, and why it's censored on this site. With our record against them, they don't deserve a special name for the game or anything else. It's just another game. We don't have a special name for the OU-Kansas game, or the OU-Iowa State game, either. How is this any different? Hell, Kansas has a significantly better record against us than Aggy. It's still not good, but KU has beaten us 10 times more than Aggy in fewer games played.

C'mon Phil, this game is a little different. If nothing else, only because they are the little brother.

stoopified
11/27/2012, 09:31 PM
Because osu has not earned rival status.A rival IMHO is a nationally relevant team that you have an ongoing series with osu is trying to get there but needs at least another 15 years of sustained excellence with conference titles,BCSbowl wins and most importantly :they need to be able to beat OU on more than a sporadic basis.

Texsa nad Nebraska both fit this bill and have been true rivals although sadly Nebraska is now gone,osu is NOT at that level and is as stated earlier 15 years of sustained 10 win seasons and at least 5-7 wins over OU from attaining RIVAL status.

8timechamps
11/27/2012, 10:17 PM
I present to you this:

Since 2000, Stoops record against:

Texas 9 - 4

Oklahoma State 10 - 3

I suppose you could say, well texas has beaten us more than OSU, but really it's one game out of 13. And for all purposes, doesn't 9-4 seem pretty close to 10-3? Of course we all know that over the long term, the OU/OSU record is incredibly lopsided, but if only looking at the past decade or so, there isn't really much different. So, why do we hate Texas so much now? And Oklahoma State so little?

oudivesherpa
11/27/2012, 10:53 PM
A rivalry is where you have a good chance that you might lose. Say, your separated from your spouse, and you have just got a big raise and your with a hot blond at a local club when you run into your ex. That's the passion that will create rivalry. Pokie State not a rivalry.

StoopTroup
11/27/2012, 11:02 PM
Read the story where Texas Citizens want to fire the Owner of the Cowboys. The arrogance they have where they think it's their Team is amazing.

Boone doesn't own the Stoolwater Cowboys so the aggots are smart enough to not try and fire him and they have no trouble taking money from him to build a bigger pig pen.

They are opposites but texans are just easier to hate long term even though neither of them make much sense.

olevetonahill
11/27/2012, 11:35 PM
I present to you this:

Since 2000, Stoops record against:

Texas 9 - 4

Oklahoma State 10 - 3

I suppose you could say, well texas has beaten us more than OSU, but really it's one game out of 13. And for all purposes, doesn't 9-4 seem pretty close to 10-3? Of course we all know that over the long term, the OU/OSU record is incredibly lopsided, but if only looking at the past decade or so, there isn't really much different. So, why do we hate Texas so much now? And Oklahoma State so little?

Take F&Gs analogy and lets say The Dude beside you lustin after the Hot chick is Saxet, Ok? If Its Saxet ya just stomp the **** out of him and THEN take the girl
Now On the other hand if that dude beside you is yer Red headed retarded Stepbrother that just drools a lot and every now an then does sompun good and He goes to lustin after that Hot chick, Ya just Stomp the **** out of him and send him home Then Take the girl

Ya unnerstan now ?

Collier11
11/27/2012, 11:38 PM
The osu players this week have proven why we dont consider this a rivalry, they just got beat for the 80 hundreth time and they are running around like a bunch of idiots talking crap, whining, and gauranteeing victory the next two years. One even said he thought it would be easy...shut up dumb asses

olevetonahill
11/27/2012, 11:42 PM
The osu players this week have proven why we dont consider this a rivalry, they just got beat for the 80 hundreth time and they are running around like a bunch of idiots talking crap, whining, and gauranteeing victory the next two years. One even said he thought it would be easy...shut up dumb asses

Like i said Red headed retarded stepbrothers.
I really hate the thot of even considering em Lil brothers or any other ****in relative
Even tho I've said Relatives are Like flies Most of em eat sh*t and bother me

huskerland
11/29/2012, 07:09 PM

Talk to me in 10 years--if they have the lead on us in that time, I'll reconsider. For now, meh. Still orange-headed stepchildren. That was a good answer:The next thing ya knowTexas will want to be your' rival. (SMILE),,
Don't forget this: http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=1&SPID=22&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205817912&DB_OEM_ID=100