PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else watching this Colorado coach presser?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2012, 02:27 PM
No wonder that coach couldn't win there...That AD is worthless..wow

I've never heard such ignorance in my life..he is throwing everyone and everything he can under the bus.

badger
11/26/2012, 02:51 PM
here ya go:
nDaQTbFNxlM

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2012, 02:58 PM
Thanks..The comments made by bohn afterwards...an administrator having to look down at talking points..

Bohn's comments before and afterwards were: they are underfunded, they can't compete, and they have bad facilities...And he can't give an answer when they decided to fire the coach.

rock on sooner
11/26/2012, 03:03 PM
No wonder that coach couldn't win there...That AD is worthless..wow

I've never heard such ignorance in my life..he is throwing everyone and everything he can under the bus.

I just watched the 6 min clip that Badg posted, so that's my only viewpoint,
reasonable to assume that Embree is done coaching at the D1 level. With
that approach he'll be lucky to coach Jr High in Podunk, USA..

tycat947
11/26/2012, 03:05 PM
Thanks..The comments made by bohn afterwards...an administrator having to look down at talking points..

Bohn's comments before and afterwards were: they are underfunded, they can't compete, and they have bad facilities...And he can't give an answer when they decided to fire the coach.

Has always been that way! Denver, and Colorado, are a Donkey city/state first, Av's second, Rockies third and No-Guts 4th. Beefaloes barely register.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2012, 03:06 PM
Yeah..You have to find some reading material on bohn's comments...they are saying this will go down in P12 and twitter history as the mike bohn incident.

Mississippi Sooner
11/26/2012, 03:07 PM
Seems to be quite a Bohn-head.

aurorasooner
11/26/2012, 03:07 PM

Bohn's comments before and afterwards were: they are underfunded, they can't compete, and they have bad facilities...And he can't give an answer when they decided to fire the coach. Hmmm. Seems like McCartney and Barney won there. Maybe they should consider hiring Barnett back. Still think he's a helluva coach. I don't really know if the buffs will ever be good again w/o an unlimited hooker and limo service account.
I know they had to pay a reduced Big 12 exit fee but it makes me wonder what they're doing up there in Boulder with all that PAC-12 network money they supposedly got/are getting.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2012, 03:08 PM
I just watched the 6 min clip that Badg posted, so that's my only viewpoint,
reasonable to assume that Embree is done coaching at the D1 level. With
that approach he'll be lucky to coach Jr High in Podunk, USA..

It's understandable IMO...usually I'm the other way, but I can't imagine..

Reading now about how Embree had to purchase stuff out of his own pocket because the school wouldn't pay for them..

They have officially bypassed auburn as the job to NOT want.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2012, 03:09 PM
Hmmm. Seems like McCartney and Barney won there. Maybe they should consider hiring Barnett back. Still think he's a helluva coach. I don't really know if the buffs will ever be good again w/o an unlimited hooker and limo service account.

Barnett is one of the guys that can't believe it's gone down like this..He said I don't know how they will get a name coach after this mess.

8timechamps
11/26/2012, 03:13 PM
Bohn is THE reason the program has fallen so far. It probably won't get any better until he is ousted.

CU hired Embree for the same reasons OU hired Blake. The only difference is that Embree couldn't recruit. CU football is in complete shambles.

8timechamps
11/26/2012, 03:17 PM
As an aside, Embree is a phenomenal man. I am sad that he couldn't make it work, but it boiled down to the people he surrounded himself with. The biggest mistake he made was to bring Beinemy on to his staff. He's a good enough coach that he'll land on his feet as a position coach or coordinator somewhere. Beinemy on the other hand, should never coach anywhere...ever.

goingoneight
11/26/2012, 03:18 PM
Colorado was a once proud football program that seemed to just give up circa 2004ish. It's sad. That's why you're seeing Johnny Come Latelys like OSU and Baylor "on the rise." Someone had to fall.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2012, 03:20 PM
Bohn is THE reason the program has fallen so far. It probably won't get any better until he is ousted.

CU hired Embree for the same reasons OU hired Blake. The only difference is that Embree couldn't recruit. CU football is in complete shambles.

I don't know he was supposed to hire with that budget...There are several coordinators in tha pac12 that made more money than embree

badger
11/26/2012, 03:26 PM
i didn't see any bohn video, sorry - not even on cu buff site (they must be embarrassed by it, heh)

here's the player reaction:
JjKCzQjMsmE
check out the end of that video - Bohn zips right by the player interview like he's trying to avoid any media contact. what a doofus.

Sounds like Embree has a good head on his shoulders and he didn't burn bridges en route out. He's got a future in coaching and thankfully for him, it won't be at that sh!tty program in Boulder.

8timechamps
11/26/2012, 03:27 PM
I don't know he was supposed to hire with that budget...There are several coordinators in tha pac12 that made more money than embree

The budget is a joke, but anyone would have been better than Beinemy. Beinemy interviewed for the HC job, and (obviously) didn't get it. Once Embree had the job, Beinemy was in. For the most part, Beinemy was the head coach. Embree isn't a super aggressive personality, and Beinemy took advantage of that. The program was run the way Beinemy wanted it ti be run. When Beniemy became the offensive coordinator (a job that he had ZERO experience with), it was all down hill.

As bad as Bohn is as an AD, the real issue is with the regents and the president (Bruce Benson). Benson is a notorious academic guy, which is great for the school, but not for the athletics. About 6 years ago, there was talk of a makeover for the athletics department. Benson trashed that idea. The school is probably better with Benson at the helm, the football program may be at an all time low.

westcoast_sooner
11/26/2012, 03:30 PM
Colorado was a once proud football program that seemed to just give up circa 2004ish. It's sad. That's why you're seeing Johnny Come Latelys like OSU and Baylor "on the rise." Someone had to fall.
I'm working on a project in Denver and it is no joke that the Broncos are the undisputed number one sports topic here. CU had a couple of good coaches that made them a quality football team. But the last couple of hires have not been kind to them.

I was surprised earlier this year when I stayed the weekend and was hoping to go see CU play UCLA in Boulder, that even though CU was horrible, there weren't any tickets to be had on the street. I easily could have bought tickets online, but figured there would be plenty in Boulder.

Overall, I think the priority just isn't there. My take is Briles will get opportunities elsewhere (SEC?) and Baylor will go back to being Baylor. OSU will do OK so long as T Boone funds them.

Scott D
11/26/2012, 03:31 PM
Maybe Colorado should hire Deborah Yow to replace Bohn. NC State fans sound like they want her gone for some odd reason.

aurorasooner
11/26/2012, 03:32 PM
As an aside, Embree is a phenomenal man. I am sad that he couldn't make it work, but it boiled down to the people he surrounded himself with. The biggest mistake he made was to bring Beinemy on to his staff. He's a good enough coach that he'll land on his feet as a position coach or coordinator somewhere. Beinemy on the other hand, should never coach anywhere...ever. I've always thought the same thing about "F-Bomb Benny" But then I read somewhere where AD said that Bienemy (sp-?) taught him more about the running back position than anyone. (when Beinemy was the running backs coach up at Minnesota).

8timechamps
11/26/2012, 03:35 PM
I've always thought the same thing about "F-Bomb Benny" But then I read somewhere where AD said that Bienemy (sp-?) taught him more about the running back position than anyone. (when Beinemy was the running backs coach up at Minnesota).

Maybe he's a good RB coach. He was a good RB himself, so that's entirely possible. But it's pretty clear he sucked as an offensive coordinator. CU actually has a little bit of offensive talent, but you would never have known it this year. If they hire anyone that has sound fundamentals, they will win 3 or 4 games next year. Still bad, but not as bad as this year looked. I still don't know how they beat Washington State.

aurorasooner
11/26/2012, 03:42 PM
. CU actually has a little bit of offensive talent, but you would never have known it this year. Didn't the Buffs get one one of the Texas' qb transfers and a Kansas transfer? I haven't followed the Buffs at all since they left the Big 12, but I did read a thread on whornfans where they were following Gilbert Grape at SMU and the other transfer that went to CU. (don't even know his name). Was he their QB this year?

KantoSooner
11/26/2012, 03:51 PM
Colorado can make up for some lack of cash in that it has universe class environment to use to entice recruits and assistants. Not for everyone, but neither is LA, or Miami, or Gainesville/Tallahassee, Austin, etc.
But you can't, as a coach, overcome poor recruiting, bad funding AND an AD who should be shot.

badger
11/26/2012, 03:55 PM
CU is a lemon of a program. Good riddance to them and to the Pac 12 for taking them in. Dud, worthless, POS program.

What do they contribute to the Pac 12 besides letting people see the USC drum major wear his dead animal getup every so often?
http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/usc/blog/1020drummajor.jpg

They don't fill their stadium, their students toss marshmallows, their announcer has to tell them what to yell during pregame band stuff, and they mistook their female buffallo mascot as a male one initially (hence the weird name "Ralphie").

Have fun. CU blows big time.

StoopTroup
11/26/2012, 04:32 PM
Nothing like a furry Trojan. LMAO

OUTrumpet
11/26/2012, 04:38 PM
Colorado can make up for some lack of cash in that it has universe class environment to use to entice recruits and assistants. Not for everyone, but neither is LA, or Miami, or Gainesville/Tallahassee, Austin, etc.
But you can't, as a coach, overcome poor recruiting, bad funding AND an AD who should be shot.

Do the new weed laws entice some players? Honey badger, some of our kids, some of the Texas players, heck across the country.

aurorasooner
11/26/2012, 04:53 PM
CU is a lemon of a program. Good riddance to them and to the Pac 12 for taking them in. Dud, worthless, POS program.

What do they contribute to the Pac 12 besides letting people see the USC drum major wear his dead animal getup every so often?

They don't fill their stadium, their students toss marshmallows, their announcer has to tell them what to yell during pregame band stuff, and they mistook their female buffallo mascot as a male one initially (hence the weird name "Ralphie").

Have fun. CU blows big time.yeah, it didn't bother me much when CU and Missouri bolted to supposedly greener pastures, except last year when ABC would do split regional coverage on a PAC-12/Big 12 game, but outside of Texas, they cost us huge tv viewership figures. However Nebraska and aTm, are, to some extent, different stories.
I don't particularly blame the Corn or the Collies from leaving since they were both so butthurt over the whorns and the whorn network.
I know we made fun of Weedberg (K. Weiberg), but his vision of a conference network was right on the money, and would've probably kept the Big 12 intact if the Big 12 prezs and ADs would've listened to him and got the ball rolling with a Big 12 network, and, imo, still should be a goal of the conference. A one university network just doesn't have the juice to go national to get the big bucks. The Big 12 prezs and ADs have made several mistakes the largest two --1) moving the Big 12 office out of KC to Dallas (should've probably been moved no farther south than Wichita or Tulsa) and 2) letting the whorns have their own 1 school network.

8timechamps
11/26/2012, 04:56 PM
yeah, it didn't bother me much when CU and Missouri bolted to supposedly greener pastures, except last year when ABC would do split regional coverage on a PAC-12/Big 12 game, but outside of Texas, they cost us huge tv viewership figures. However Nebraska and aTm, are, to some extent, different stories.
I don't particularly blame the Corn or the Collies from leaving since they were both so butthurt over the whorns and the whorn network.
I know we made fun of Weedberg (K. Weiberg), but his vision of a conference network was right on the money, and would've probably kept the Big 12 intact if the Big 12 prezs and ADs would've listened to him and got the ball rolling with a Big 12 network, and, imo, still should be a goal of the conference. A one university network just doesn't have the juice to go national to get the big bucks. The Big 12 prezs and ADs have made several mistakes the largest two --1) moving the Big 12 office out of KC to Dallas (should've probably been moved no farther south than Wichita or Tulsa) and 2) letting the whorns have their own 1 school network.

Yep. I was upset when CU left the Big XII, but only because I wouldn't be able to see the Sooners play here every other year. With the way things are now (internet, Fox sports package, etc.), TV games aren't as big a deal as they once were.

8timechamps
11/26/2012, 04:57 PM

Have fun. CU blows big time.

Don't mistake the football program for the entire athletic department. CU has a very good men's basketball team this year, and their skiing team is a perennial powerhouse :)

aurorasooner
11/26/2012, 04:58 PM

Have fun. CU blows big time.yeah, it didn't bother me much when CU and Missouri bolted to supposedly greener pastures, except last year when ABC would do split regional coverage on a PAC-12/Big 12 game, but outside of Texas, they cost us huge tv viewership figures. However Nebraska and aTm, are, to some extent, different stories.

badger
11/26/2012, 05:25 PM
Don't mistake the football program for the entire athletic department. CU has a very good men's basketball team this year, and their skiing team is a perennial powerhouse :)

KU fans through all of their meltdown bemoaning last season realized that a powerhouse basketball program will NOT mean sh!t in conference reallignment. It's all about the fooseballs now.

Here, let me trash Colorado some more -- their football fanbase didn't travel worth sh!t when they played us in the early aughts, their band's drum majors do the Heisman pose even though Rashaan Salaam hasn't played for Colorado since 1994 and was such a pro flop that he has both the XFL and Canadian Football League on his resume now, their only national title came at the hands of a fifth down, their students threw their souvenir Colorado t-shirts on the field of Homecoming when Texas took an early three-touchdown lead, Katie "was not only a girl, she was terrible" Hnida, Gary Barnett winning Big 12 coach of the year, then getting fired the same year after losing to Texas 70-3 in the big 12 title game...

Anyone else have anything they'd like to add?

8timechamps
11/26/2012, 06:36 PM
KU fans through all of their meltdown bemoaning last season realized that a powerhouse basketball program will NOT mean sh!t in conference reallignment. It's all about the fooseballs now.

Here, let me trash Colorado some more -- their football fanbase didn't travel worth sh!t when they played us in the early aughts, their band's drum majors do the Heisman pose even though Rashaan Salaam hasn't played for Colorado since 1994 and was such a pro flop that he has both the XFL and Canadian Football League on his resume now, their only national title came at the hands of a fifth down, their students threw their souvenir Colorado t-shirts on the field of Homecoming when Texas took an early three-touchdown lead, Katie "was not only a girl, she was terrible" Hnida, Gary Barnett winning Big 12 coach of the year, then getting fired the same year after losing to Texas 70-3 in the big 12 title game...

Anyone else have anything they'd like to add?

You forgot they have THE worst fans in all of college football. Otherwise, I think you've pretty much covered it.

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2012, 06:53 PM
I was living in Boulder when that whole Katie Hnida thing happened and couldn't stand Barnett after that. She had been given a chance and some commitment by Neuheisel and Barnett couldn't just go honor it. She wasn't on scholarship and didn't travel with the team and it was a good PR story for the program. But caveman Barnett couldn't live it. She transferred to New Mexico and the coach there let her stay on the team and I think he even let her try an extra point in a blow-out game. She said she had a great experience there.

8timechamps
11/26/2012, 07:05 PM
I was living in Boulder when that whole Katie Hnida thing happened and couldn't stand Barnett after that. She had been given a chance and some commitment by Neuheisel and Barnett couldn't just go honor it. She wasn't on scholarship and didn't travel with the team and it was a good PR story for the program. But caveman Barnett couldn't live it. She transferred to New Mexico and the coach there let her stay on the team and I think he even let her try an extra point in a blow-out game. She said she had a great experience there.

That was kind of the beginning to the end of CU football. It's hard to believe there was a time when Boulder was rockin' on football Saturdays. In fact, unless you witnessed it with your own eyes, you probably wouldn't believe it.

aurorasooner
11/26/2012, 07:11 PM
I was living in Boulder when that whole Katie Hnida thing happened and couldn't stand Barnett after that. She had been given a chance and some commitment by Neuheisel and Barnett couldn't just go honor it. She wasn't on scholarship and didn't travel with the team and it was a good PR story for the program. But caveman Barnett couldn't live it. She transferred to New Mexico and the coach there let her stay on the team and I think he even let her try an extra point in a blow-out game. She said she had a great experience there. New Mexico had a "" blowout game? That must have been a long time ago.
Slick Rick sure has caused a lot of problems in his coaching career. The wimmen along the front range were pretty much outraged over Barnett's handling of the Katie Hnida deal (and rightly so, although I have to agree she wasn't any good--at kicking) But, as you say, it was a pr nightmare. . Hell they made the crazy Sooner fans that were calling for B.Stoops to be fired and L. Jones to be benched look tame in comparison. The Buffs certainly have had their share of coaching problems. Slick Rick, Moonbeam Dan. cheeet, we'd better give Stoops another raise.
I don't think they'll get any big-time college coach in Boulder, which makes me think that they've either already talked to Barney about returning, or possibly Dave Logan.

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2012, 07:56 PM
New Mexico had a "" blowout game? That must have been a long time ago.

Yep - if you believe in wikipedia:
--------
Hnida left Colorado in 2001 and eventually transferred to the University of New Mexico the following year. There she made the New Mexico Lobos football team as a walk-on placekicker.[7] On August 30, 2003 she became the first woman to score in a Division I-A game when she kicked two extra points against Texas State University in the fourth quarter of a 72-8 New Mexico win.[8] While at New Mexico she played in the Las Vegas Bowl against UCLA, when her extra point attempt was blocked.[9] She graduated in December 2004.

picasso
11/27/2012, 01:31 AM
CU was tough for a good stretch in the late 80's/early 90's but their national title is still a joke. They got 5 downs to beat Mizzou and a bum clipping call to beat an average Notre Dame.

See ya.

Tear Down This Wall
11/27/2012, 11:17 AM
Colorado sucks.

Also, this Hnida...isn't she the gal who claimed sexual harassment/assault yet refused to press charges? She's no more believable to me than Barnett.

The only reason she was given a chance to suck on the football field is because she's female. How many male students who wanted to "walk-on" and kick do you think Barnett or any other coach would let waste time and space? Probably dozens. They don't let them for good reason.

They let her waste time and space for the story of it. In the end, it bit them in the as*s. Good. It's always a good when forced political correctness fails.

She's a coward and so is Barnett. But, make no mistake, with or without them, Colorado and their 11 fans suck.

bluedogok
11/27/2012, 08:44 PM
Embree made some comments about racial overtones immediately after the firing and his former head coach Bill McCartney had a letter and made comments on a sports talk station saying they gave him less time because he is black. McCartney is wrong that he was given more than two years because he was white, he got more time because all coaches got more time back 20-30 years ago. Hawkins had five years to run the program into the ground, he wouldn't get that much time now if they went 1-11 and getting blown out week after week after going 3-9 the year before. Bohn may be a dope but the results on the field don't prove that Embree had the team headed in the right direction. Coaches now don't get the kind of time that he got, look at how many other coaches are out after two years now, the guy at Southern Miss only got one year and he is white. McCartney is spouting the same line of crap that was pedaled by Blake and his supporters after his firing. McCartney was wrong about Embree just like Switzer was wrong about Blake, neither were ready to lead the football teams at their alma mater in big conferences, they needed more experience.

Denver Post - Bill McCartney takes to airwaves to blast Colorado firing Jon Embree (http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_22076669/bill-mccartney-blast-colorado-firing-jon-embree)

The poll on the Denver Post on the link above is interesting, notice a name on there?

With the many issues surrounding Colorado's football program, it's assumed the Buffs will have trouble luring a highly successful coach from a BCS conference to replace Jon Embree. What type of coach should CU then pursue?

- Big name, warts and all: Can you say Bobby Petrino, former Arkansas bad boy? Or Jim Tressel, forced out at Ohio State?

- Proven at lower level: Coach from highly successful smaller school such as Kent State or Utah State or Northern Illinois.

- Out of the box: Time to approach this problem from unconventional viewpoint. Dave Logan? Bill McCartney? Mark Mangino?

Plexis22
11/27/2012, 09:01 PM
I don't know, I remember going to a Colorado game in the 90's and it was great. Cool fall day in Boulder, you can see the Flatirons from the stadium, and they served beer (do they still?)..

I don't care as much about them now that they are out of the Big 12 but I always liked the Buffs. They have the challenge of competing head to head with Denver pro sports, especially the Broncos.

8timechamps
11/27/2012, 09:22 PM
Embree made some comments about racial overtones immediately after the firing and his former head coach Bill McCartney had a letter and made comments on a sports talk station saying they gave him less time because he is black. McCartney is wrong that he was given more than two years because he was white, he got more time because all coaches got more time back 20-30 years ago. Hawkins had five years to run the program into the ground, he wouldn't get that much time now if they went 1-11 and getting blown out week after week after going 3-9 the year before. Bohn may be a dope but the results on the field don't prove that Embree had the team headed in the right direction. Coaches now don't get the kind of time that he got, look at how many other coaches are out after two years now, the guy at Southern Miss only got one year and he is white. McCartney is spouting the same line of crap that was pedaled by Blake and his supporters after his firing. McCartney was wrong about Embree just like Switzer was wrong about Blake, neither were ready to lead the football teams at their alma mater in big conferences, they needed more experience.

Denver Post - Bill McCartney takes to airwaves to blast Colorado firing Jon Embree (http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_22076669/bill-mccartney-blast-colorado-firing-jon-embree)

The poll on the Denver Post on the link above is interesting, notice a name on there?

Couldn't agree more. McCartney needs to retire his public persona. Honestly, he's kinda out of touch, and is throwing fuel on the wrong fire. The program wasn't improving, it was crumbling, and anyone that watched it knows that.

I don't think CU will pony up the money to bring in a big coach. I'm still surprised nobody has hired Logan, and maybe that's the direction CU will go...but hiring a HS coach is a risky move.

tycat947
11/27/2012, 09:52 PM
...but hiring a HS coach is a risky move.

CU has been playing about the level of a high school team the last few years so maybe they will head that direction!

8timechamps
11/27/2012, 10:19 PM
CU has been playing about the level of a high school team the last few years so maybe they will head that direction!

Well, if nothing else, the current players will adjust to the new staff quickly.

BoulderSooner79
11/28/2012, 01:00 AM
Colorado sucks.

Also, this Hnida...isn't she the gal who claimed sexual harassment/assault yet refused to press charges? She's no more believable to me than Barnett.

The only reason she was given a chance to suck on the football field is because she's female. How many male students who wanted to "walk-on" and kick do you think Barnett or any other coach would let waste time and space? Probably dozens. They don't let them for good reason.

They let her waste time and space for the story of it. In the end, it bit them in the as*s. Good. It's always a good when forced political correctness fails.

She's a coward and so is Barnett. But, make no mistake, with or without them, Colorado and their 11 fans suck.

Barnett would not have let Hnida walk-on and I've got no problem with that. It was Neuheisel's doing and Barnett let her stay and then trashed her in public. He was a total dick. I had more respect for Neuheisel - he was slick Rick, but he was at least open about it. Barnett was your back room cheater with a secret slush fund and it was justice when he got ridden out of town. CU has never recovered from those 2 clowns.

Tear Down This Wall
11/28/2012, 12:35 PM
He was a dick before Hnida, but that's not the point. He was competitive and put a good football team on the field season after season.

Nick Saban is a dick. Les Miles is a dick. Bob Stoops is sometimes a dick. You can't be successful in a big time program by being a ***** cat all the time.

My point is, with this Hnida gal, is that she got away with painting the program a certain way. Then, when it came time for the rubber to meet the road, she wouldn't put the wheels in motion to have the thing fully investigated.

However much a dick Barnett was, Hnida was right at his level. And, because she is a woman, she knew she could get away with making accusations without backing them up.

Screw her, screw CU. They got what they deserved competitively in cutting Barnett loose and hiring the two clowns they have as his replacements.

BoulderSooner79
11/28/2012, 12:46 PM
Barnett was a good on the field coach, but a proven cheater. He was the anti-Stoops. And even though he could coach the program was going down hill because he was a poor recruiter and left the cupboard bare. I'm not saying Hnida was any kind of saint, but he made something that no big deal into a negative. Had Stoops inherited Hnida, there would have been no issue and he would have treated her with respect.

It's not all about the product on the field. If a Barnett type were hired at OU, I would stop watching them until he was fired.

70sooner
11/28/2012, 01:01 PM
That was kind of the beginning to the end of CU football. It's hard to believe there was a time when Boulder was rockin' on football Saturdays. In fact, unless you witnessed it with your own eyes, you probably wouldn't believe it.

1972 in Boulder, Folsom Field was a rocking place after CU beat OU. I can testify to that. The CU fans were pretty nuts that game.

badger
11/28/2012, 01:14 PM
Since the race card has been played (not by the coach but by that ex-coach), would any of you mid/late 90s Sooners say that you didn't attend games then because Boo Blake was black, or was it because despite him being an alum of the program, you just couldn't stand to watch a losing product on the field anymore and decided to spend your dollars and time elsewhere on Saturdays?

College football is too expensive of a sport to go half-arsed these days. Either invest the hell outta it or lower your expectations to losing.

8timechamps
11/28/2012, 02:30 PM
Since the race card has been played (not by the coach but by that ex-coach), would any of you mid/late 90s Sooners say that you didn't attend games then because Boo Blake was black, or was it because despite him being an alum of the program, you just couldn't stand to watch a losing product on the field anymore and decided to spend your dollars and time elsewhere on Saturdays?

College football is too expensive of a sport to go half-arsed these days. Either invest the hell outta it or lower your expectations to losing.

The race card is a joke in this situation. The team got worse over the two years he coached. He wasn't fired early because he was black, he was fired early because the team sucked, and he happened to be black.

As for attending games in the Blake era, it didn't affect me at all. I wouldn't care how bad the Sooners are under any coach, I'd still go to any game I could go to, just because it's my team.

badger
11/28/2012, 02:50 PM
The race card is a joke in this situation. The team got worse over the two years he coached. He wasn't fired early because he was black, he was fired early because the team sucked, and he happened to be black.

ESPN had a good article on how much it sucks to be Colorado's coach (and yes, I know it can't entirely suck to make $725K annually). Basically, he had to start a lot of freshmen, state law prohibited having too many employees under contract so assistants couldn't be signed to longterm deals...

...wait, did I just type that? Yes, I did! Colorado's legislature must think sports are not important, because state employers (like the University of Colorado) are not allowed to grant anymore than SIX employees multi-year contracts? The rest? At-will.

So, the university president, chancellor, athletic director are three of those. The other three are usually head coaches, not assistants.

When I read that at first, I thought that couldn't be right, but lo and behold, unless you are a non-tenure track faculty member (they can only get up to 3-year dealios), you can't be anything more than at-will.

That means they don't get the Mike Stoopses, the Mark Stoopses or even the Greg Davises (did I really just use those three together in the same sentence?). They get some guy that's been there forever since being a grad assistant in the 90s, and another ex-player. Basically, charity to a program they love, rather than those doing it as a career move.

Their next coach? Wouldn't be surprised to see them pull a Sherri Coale, but I doubt they survive her initial losing seasons...

Bohn: Hello, Boulder High School? Could I please speak to your English teacher who also coaches your football program? We have a $75,000 annual contract to offer!

...gah. Might be the making of another "Major League." Soooo glad that's them and not us.

thecrimsoncrusader
11/28/2012, 03:49 PM
So if they are racists for firing him, what were they when they hired him? Inverse color blind?

tycat947
11/28/2012, 03:52 PM
1972 in Boulder, Folsom Field was a rocking place after CU beat OU. I can testify to that. The CU fans were pretty nuts that game.

That's because they were drunk! Even though lots go to games drunk at all places, they served beer in stadium at Boulder up until probably last 10 years (and they may still do).

8timechamps
11/28/2012, 03:57 PM
ESPN had a good article on how much it sucks to be Colorado's coach (and yes, I know it can't entirely suck to make $725K annually). Basically, he had to start a lot of freshmen, state law prohibited having too many employees under contract so assistants couldn't be signed to longterm deals...

...wait, did I just type that? Yes, I did! Colorado's legislature must think sports are not important, because state employers (like the University of Colorado) are not allowed to grant anymore than SIX employees multi-year contracts? The rest? At-will.

So, the university president, chancellor, athletic director are three of those. The other three are usually head coaches, not assistants.

When I read that at first, I thought that couldn't be right, but lo and behold, unless you are a non-tenure track faculty member (they can only get up to 3-year dealios), you can't be anything more than at-will.

That means they don't get the Mike Stoopses, the Mark Stoopses or even the Greg Davises (did I really just use those three together in the same sentence?). They get some guy that's been there forever since being a grad assistant in the 90s, and another ex-player. Basically, charity to a program they love, rather than those doing it as a career move.

Their next coach? Wouldn't be surprised to see them pull a Sherri Coale, but I doubt they survive her initial losing seasons...

Bohn: Hello, Boulder High School? Could I please speak to your English teacher who also coaches your football program? We have a $75,000 annual contract to offer!

...gah. Might be the making of another "Major League." Soooo glad that's them and not us.

It's that bad. Although, I'm not sure "bad" is the right word, unless you're a Buffs fan. Unless something radical changes, CU is never going to become the football school it once was.

Also, in this state, college athletics takes a back seat to everything else. So, there is no incentive (or outcry) for anything to change. I could care less, now that CU is out of the Big XII.

thecrimsoncrusader
11/28/2012, 04:04 PM
So if they are racists for firing him, what were they when they hired him? Inverse color blind?

Scott D
11/28/2012, 04:16 PM
they were McCartney's whores.

badger
11/28/2012, 04:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/yDxSk.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/thujone/Shame-1.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-sCkP51iUae0/UI4LN9rN_PI/AAAAAAAAAmg/UnkChwMJs4c/s1600/Shame1.jpg
^^^it fits so well. (shaggy shamepaint guy's work)

freshchris05
11/28/2012, 06:00 PM

Maybe if you post this again it'll be funny....

3rd time's a charm ;)

FaninAma
11/28/2012, 06:31 PM
The CU faculty has always been hostile to the athletic program even when McCartney was there. CU should just give up sports.

8timechamps
11/28/2012, 06:33 PM
The CU faculty has always been hostile to the athletic program even when McCartney was there. CU should just give up sports.

The sad thing is, I'm not sure there would be much resistance to that.

badger
11/28/2012, 09:41 PM

The sad thing is, I'm not sure there would be much resistance to that.

Lets think of silly academic things they could argue --

"We can be academic-only members of the pac 12!"

"Our alumni and boosters will still bee interested in CU even without sports!"

"Our scholarships should not be based on athletic or academic merit, but rather, FINANCIAL NEED!"

"Lets bulldoze the athletic facilities and create lecture halls, libraries and learning enhancement centers!"

"Our buffalo would rather run with other buffaloes freely through colorado pastures than on a football field!"

"Lets smoke more weed!"

Collier11
11/28/2012, 10:23 PM
how about South Miss going from 12 wins to 0-12 with their new coach, lol

Salt City Sooner
11/29/2012, 01:00 AM
how about South Miss going from 12 wins to 0-12 with their new ex-coach, lol
fify, they canned him yesterday.