PDA

View Full Version : B Bell scored with ~ 4 sec left in the game. Did we have a TO ----

aurorasooner
11/26/2012, 01:59 PM
if he made the 1st down but didn't score? I think we could get a 1st down between the LOS and the goal-line but I can't remember if we had a TO left so the clock wouldn't have just expired. (and would the clock have stopped automatically if we got the 1st down but didn't score, since the chains wouldn't have needed to be reset. [1st down inside the 10 yard line]
To spot the Aggies 14 points, the Sooners not having the lead in regulation at all, and then win the game anyway, has got be right there with their 2 KO return men lining up behind our KO team and having to run the length of Owen field, or them calling TO right before the half and then us scoring on the next play in the reference to Aggie'n it up. BWHAHAHAHAHA.

Spray
11/26/2012, 02:01 PM
We did have a TO.

badger
11/26/2012, 02:01 PM
we have been taking too damn long to snap the ball lately. we would have definitely had to use the timeout had we been short of the goal.

i have noticed myself using the word "damn" a lot more lately since we've ended the hurry-up offense. anyone else becoming more grumpy at all the meerkating we've seen lately? :mad:

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2012, 02:06 PM
We did cut it very close on that one. I thought we had used all the TOs, but I could be wrong. If we get the 1st down, it would have been a major scramble to line up and spike the ball - doable since there are no receivers down field in that situation. When we got inside their 30 with 2 1/2 minutes left, I was afraid we would score with too much time left given how good their kicker is. Then we slowed the game down and made sure we had the last possession. The clock management was almost too good. whew!

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2012, 02:08 PM
we have been taking too damn long to snap the ball lately. we would have definitely had to use the timeout had we been short of the goal.

i have noticed myself using the word "damn" a lot more lately since we've ended the hurry-up offense. anyone else becoming more grumpy at all the meerkating we've seen lately? :mad:

I thought we slowed down on purpose once inside the redzone. Given how they were moving the ball and how good of a FG kicker they have, I was relieved we didn't leave them any time.

jk the sooner fan
11/26/2012, 02:09 PM
post game interview - Stoops said he told the ref that if we got only a first down - to call a TO as soon as Bell went down - so he was on top of it from that perspective

whether or not that full 4 seconds would have been enough for that is anybody's guess...

badger
11/26/2012, 02:11 PM
I thought we slowed down on purpose once inside the redzone. Given how they were moving the ball and how good of a FG kicker they have, I was relieved we didn't leave them any time.

yeah, that i understand, but the rest of the game, GAHHHHH

post game interview - Stoops said he told the ref that if we got only a first down - to call a TO as soon as Bell went down - so he was on top of it from that perspective

whether or not that full 4 seconds would have been enough for that is anybody's guess...
so glad to have a coach that's in tune with the clock and not lester miles.

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2012, 02:18 PM

The clock does pause to move the chains on a 1st down, so there is plenty of time to call a TO and not lose a second more. But w/o a TO, it's touch and go whether you can get lined up properly and spike the ball in time.

winout
11/26/2012, 02:23 PM
Pretty sure we had a timeout.

Didn't realize until I watched the replay that Bell lept over one tackler before dragging another into the endzone with him. I read he remarked that he felt someone grab his leg but wasn't going to be stopped. Not sure which tackler he was referring to on that one.

Bell may become my modern day favorite Sooner, relegating J. T. Thatcher to second.

aurorasooner
11/26/2012, 02:26 PM
yeah, that i understand, but the rest of the game, GAHHHHH

so glad to have a coach that's in tune with the clock and not lester miles. There was a great thread on our fark board about "the hat" and his time-management. (and, if I remember correctly, he won that game on a TD pass thinking that with an incompletion, they would have time to kick the FG to win it. sh&^%%t, he would've be roasted if the pass was incomplete, and the clock would've expired.
The clock does pause to move the chains on a 1st down, so there is plenty of time to call a TO and not lose a second more. But w/o a TO, it's touch and go whether you can get lined up properly and spike the ball in time. The reference was, that the chains wouldn't have to be reset on 1st down inside the 10 yard line since you couldn't get another 1st down w/o scoring. Anyone know if the clock is stopped anyway after making a 1st down, if the chains don't need to be reset (inside the 10 yard line)?

Jacie
11/26/2012, 02:28 PM
. . . has got be right there with their 2 KO return men lining up behind our KO team and having to run the length of Owen field . . .

Actually, that event occurred in Stillwater to start the second half of the game. I know because me and my roommate were sitting in the endzone looking at OUr guys' backs and there in front of us were the two aggie kick returners looking at each other wondering wtf?

kevpks
11/26/2012, 02:36 PM
I'm fine with it. We left WV too much time the week before.

FtwTxSooner
11/26/2012, 02:40 PM
There was a great thread on our fark board about "the hat" and his time-management. (and, if I remember correctly, he won that game on a TD pass thinking that with an incompletion, they would have time to kick the FG to win it. sh&^%%t, he would've be roasted if the pass was incomplete, and the clock would've expired. The reference was, that the chains wouldn't have to be reset on 1st down inside the 10 yard line since you couldn't get another 1st down w/o scoring. Anyone know if the clock is stopped anyway after making a 1st down, if the chains don't need to be reset (inside the 10 yard line)?

The clock stops after any first down, and starts again once the ball is spotted ready for play. The end result is for the chains to get set during this time, but that isn't always the case.

There was an earlier first down at about 1:22 left. The clock restarted only about about 5 seconds later. But, if we were ready to snap the ball at that exact point in time, we could.

aurorasooner
11/26/2012, 02:53 PM
Actually, that event occurred in Stillwater to start the second half of the game. I know because me and my roommate were sitting in the endzone looking at OUr guys' backs and there in front of us were the two aggie kick returners looking at each other wondering wtf? That explains it then. they got north and south mixed up with east and west.
http://www.soonerfans.com/images/icons/icon12.png

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2012, 02:53 PM
Didn't realize until I watched the replay that Bell lept over one tackler before dragging another into the endzone with him. I read he remarked that he felt someone grab his leg but wasn't going to be stopped. Not sure which tackler he was referring to on that one.

I saw that - if Bell doesn't jump over that guy, it's game over because that was in the backfield. He had the 1st down once he hit the second guy, but might as well get it over with at that point :)

cvsooner
11/26/2012, 04:31 PM
We definitely had a time out left. No problem with the strategy.