PDA

View Full Version : The Kent State conundrum

badger
11/26/2012, 11:32 AM
BCS must take an at-large from a non-AQ conference if it is in the top 16 since the Big East sucks
Kent State is currently No. 17, behind No. 16 UCLA
UCLA will likely lose at Stanford in the Pac-12 championship game (hosted by Stanford), which will bump them lower in the BCS standings
We will not get the auto Big 12 bid if K-State beats Texas, which it always does
Our only hope left is Northern Illinois beating Kent State for the MAC championship

Explained more here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?Kent_State_seriously_Kent_State_co uld_deny_OU_a_BCS_bid/12-17897)

This is so crazy... please say mean things about Kent State, send BAD vibes to Kent State and root for the d@mn OO-cla's and whorns this weekend... and of course, we need to beat TCU also or we deserve a sh!t tier bowl.

salth2o
11/26/2012, 11:39 AM
Can't read, Can't write, Kent State!!!

Teh BCS' worst nightmare. However, they are creaming themselves over ND playing in the MNC game so much that many wont notice.

smooth3d
11/26/2012, 11:42 AM
I've never of Kent state before, But I hate them lol

SoonerNomad
11/26/2012, 12:04 PM

You must be young. Kent State is most famous for the National Guard shooting incident in May of 1970 during the height of the Vietnam War protests. I was only nine at the time, but I remember it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings.

Crosby Stills Nash and Young wrote a song about it that I still hear every now and then.

smooth3d
11/26/2012, 12:07 PM
You must be young. Kent State is most famous for the National Guard shooting incident in May of 1970 during the height of the Vietnam War protests. I was only nine at the time, but I remember it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings.

Crosby Stills Nash and Young wrote a song about it that I still hear every now and then.

I guess born on 1978 lol Still hate em lol

badger
11/26/2012, 12:15 PM
Didn't Lou Holtz go there?

Aries
11/26/2012, 12:22 PM
Kent State has a football team?!

SoonerNomad
11/26/2012, 12:24 PM
I think Nick Saban went to Kent State.

budbarrybob
11/26/2012, 12:25 PM

4 dead in Ohio

SoonerNomad
11/26/2012, 12:26 PM
I went back to Wikipedia and found out Saban, Holtz and Gary Pinkel all played for the Kent State Golden Flashes.

ouwasp
11/26/2012, 12:51 PM
Kent St seems to be worse match-up image-wise for someone than UConn was for OU...at least UConn was named after a state... albeit a yankee st

Maybe it'll be a Kent St/Kansas St bowl.....the KSU Bowl. Sounds like one of Snyder's ooc games, that's for sure.

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2012, 12:57 PM
Beat TCU and the universe will reward us, grasshoppers.

badger
11/26/2012, 01:15 PM
Soooo... did you all actually not hear about this before I posted it? Wow... then again, ESPN is too busy Domer Naming and being SEC-giddy to give a d@mn about the rest of the BCS.

This is almost bigger news, because a team that lost to ****ing Kentucky is going BCS-ing so long as they don't get Saluki'd... or is that Southern Illinois? I have no idea who Northern Illinois is.

It's the perfect storm of crappy college football all combined into one year and could only happen if all the right cards fall into place... and by right I mean SO INCREDIBLY WRONG.

First, a BCS conference had to be sucky enough for a non-AQ to rise to 16th rather than the improbable 12th like Boise had (admittedly, deservedly) in the past.

Then, a bunch of teams had to lose a lot to make one-loss non-AQs look more appealing in the computers.

And finally, a team like OU had to be an in an at-large position rather than an AQ position (by virtue of winning the conference) for this to all come to a head and splode.
http://winningateverything.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/asplode.jpg

Please resume saying nasty things about Kent State. This sh!t smells worse than sh!t if it comes true :mad:

cvsooner
11/26/2012, 02:08 PM
Salukis are Southern Illinois. Northern Illinois is a very good football team and will probably beat Kent State.

jk the sooner fan
11/26/2012, 02:12 PM
ahhhh, the Kent St fighting Flower Rifles....

i'll get bashed for saying this - but if we get pushed out of the Sugar Bowl - OU comes here to Dallas for the Cotton Bowl at Jerry World and i'm ok with that - because i'd be able to go :)

unless you're in THE game - it really makes little difference where they play or in what bowl game.......but i suppose there's more $$$ with the Sugar Bowl

badger
11/26/2012, 02:12 PM
Salukis are Southern Illinois. Northern Illinois is a very good football team and will probably beat Kent State.

Ahhh.. the mighty HUSKIES! Did I ever mention that I have husky mixes as my beloved pets?
https://www.ispstadiumseating.com/pilotFiles/affiliateSchools/thumbs/NIU.gif
Huskies, come on you Huskies
And make a score or two
Huskies, you're Northern Huskies
The team to pull us through
Foward, together foward
There's victory in view
Come on you Huskies, Fight on you Huskies
And win for N.I.U.

... my gawd that's a lame fight song

badger
11/26/2012, 02:13 PM

i'll get bashed for saying this - but if we get pushed out of the Sugar Bowl - OU comes here to Dallas for the Cotton Bowl at Jerry World and i'm ok with that - because i'd be able to go :)

unless you're in THE game - it really makes little difference where they play or in what bowl game.......but i suppose there's more $$$ with the Sugar Bowl

oh, just go to the TCU game. Dallas is Dallas, amirite?

BillyBall
You are speaking of The Northern Illinois Huskies out of beautiful DeKalb, Illinois...

yermom
nothing guarantees a one-loss NIU or 2-loss Boise wouldn't also be in the top 16 next week though

badger
11/26/2012, 02:15 PM
You are speaking of The Northern Illinois Huskies out of beautiful DeKalb, Illinois...

Are their fans cool? Know anything about NIU or the team?

nothing guarantees a one-loss NIU or 2-loss Boise wouldn't also be in the top 16 next week though
It's less of a guarantee than the No. 17 team of moving up to No. 16, so I'll take it

yermom
11/26/2012, 02:16 PM

i think i'd rather go to Dallas than Phoenix again, but NOLA could be fun.

Cotton would certainly be easier... i think we could end up there if we win or lose this week

BillyBall
11/26/2012, 02:18 PM
Are their fans cool? Know anything about NIU or the team?

I have several friends that went to NIU and are cool but none of them could give a **** about their football team.

jk the sooner fan
11/26/2012, 02:27 PM

somebody under the age of 40 please get this

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2012, 02:31 PM
http://www.surfingtheapocalypse.net/forum/images/uploaded/201102111850514d55d96be7852.jpg

jk the sooner fan
11/26/2012, 02:32 PM
http://www.surfingtheapocalypse.net/forum/images/uploaded/201102111850514d55d96be7852.jpg

:golfclap:

badger
11/26/2012, 02:45 PM
We've seen here at the State of Kent especially, probably the most vicious form of BCS oriented violence yet perpetrated by dissident groups. They make definite plans of burning, destroying, and throwing rocks at college football, and at the AQ conferences and the bowl system. This is when we're going to use every part of the media hype machine of ESPN to drive the football out of Kent. We are going to eradicate the problem. We're not going to treat the symptoms. And these non-AQ bids just move from one team to the other and terrorize the BCS. They're worse than the Boise States and the TCU element and also the Utahs and the vigilantes... They're the worst type of football that we harbor in America. Now I want to say this. They are not going to take over [the] BCS. I think that we're up against the strongest, well-trained, militant, revolutionary non-AQ that has ever assembled in college football.

Now envision an angry badger pounding her fist while typing ;)

SunnySooner
11/26/2012, 03:58 PM
somebody under the age of 40 please get this

I think you mean under 50, darlin'. I'm over 40 and wasn't even BORN in 1970, much less up on current events. The flower thing sailed right over. I did know about the shootings, however, so there's that.

Oh and, GOOOOO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!! BEAT THE HELL OUTTA THE....wait, are they really the "Golden Flashes"?!?!?! Good Lowered, that's worse than the Golden Hurricanes, but whatever...GOLDEN FLASHES!!!!!! LIKE SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!

If that game's on TV, it's gonna have crazy ratings, as Sooners become Husky fans for a day, lol!!!!

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2012, 04:08 PM
I think you mean under 50, darlin'. I'm over 40 and wasn't even BORN in 1970, much less up on current events. The flower thing sailed right over. I did know about the shootings, however, so there's that.

Oh and, GOOOOO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!! BEAT THE HELL OUTTA THE....wait, are they really the "Golden Flashes"?!?!?! Good Lowered, that's worse than the Golden Hurricanes, but whatever...GOLDEN FLASHES!!!!!! LIKE SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!

If that game's on TV, it's gonna have crazy ratings, as Sooners become Husky fans for a day, lol!!!!

i'M 36 and knew what he was talking about!

redkid
11/26/2012, 04:28 PM
didn't B Stoops have a brief coaching stop at Kent st?

Rocker
11/26/2012, 04:29 PM
didn't B Stoops have a brief coaching stop at Kent st?

Yep.... he sure did.

jk the sooner fan
11/26/2012, 04:30 PM

i'm 49 and knew what i was talking about

jk the sooner fan
11/26/2012, 04:31 PM
Now envision an angry badger pounding her fist while typing ;)

i dont even want to imagine that, much less envision it

SunnySooner
11/26/2012, 04:32 PM

Bald people are smart. It's only fair. :biggrin: ;)

SunnySooner
11/26/2012, 04:34 PM
i'm 49 and knew what i was talking about

You're making my head hurt...

jk the sooner fan
11/26/2012, 04:35 PM
SCORE!!!!!

SunnySooner
11/26/2012, 04:38 PM
lol!! Don't be too proud, I'm blonde, it ain't that hard to get me all befuzzled. My 2nd grader's math usually does the trick.

8timechamps
11/26/2012, 04:44 PM
Again, we need a Texas win. If Texas wins, they'll jump Kent State. AAAAaaaaaand, we'll win the conference outright. Since the Sugar Bowl screwed the conference last year, they'll agree to take a two loss Big XII team. Thus, solving the whole issue.

jkjsooner
11/26/2012, 04:46 PM

Yep, I wasn't born then but I've heard about the shootings and would have understood the reference as well. It's not like it's an obscure event in our history.

Back to football. The 16 or under rating thing is a joke. I can understand a similar rule for those who are top 8 or so but going as high as 16 is ridiculous.

Heard about this on the radio this morning (sirius/xm college channel) but didn't think about its impact to OU.

jk the sooner fan
11/26/2012, 04:47 PM
i'm sitting here debating myself.........do i want the conference championship outright, at the cost of getting anally raped by Oregon in the fiesta bowl?

or a share of the conference champioinship at the cost of playing Florida and giving Kstate a trophy

talk about your hard places and rocks

8timechamps
11/26/2012, 04:53 PM
i'm sitting here debating myself.........do i want the conference championship outright, at the cost of getting anally raped by Oregon in the fiesta bowl?

or a share of the conference champioinship at the cost of playing Florida and giving Kstate a trophy

talk about your hard places and rocks

You had a good point earlier, if you're not in THE game, it really doesn't matter where you go. I wouldn't mind somewhere new. If KSU wins next weekend, and we beat TCU, it's not going to kill me if Kent State goes in our place. Whoever Kent State plays, they'll get hammered, and I'd just as soon play someone "new" in a different venue.

jk the sooner fan
11/26/2012, 05:04 PM
we'd probably play LSU in the cotton bowl and i'd be ok with Stoops and company taking a shot at Les Miles and crew

8timechamps
11/26/2012, 05:06 PM
we'd probably play LSU in the cotton bowl and i'd be ok with Stoops and company taking a shot at Les Miles and crew

The only downside to that is that the Cotton Bowl has that early kick-off on New Year's day. Not the best time for a game.

jk the sooner fan
11/26/2012, 05:09 PM
no i think the time was changed when it was moved to Arlington - in the old stadium - 11am - and it sucked

i'd have to double check that though - but i think its later

jk the sooner fan
11/26/2012, 05:09 PM
yep- 7pm on January 4th

woot!

8timechamps
11/26/2012, 05:11 PM
yep- 7pm on January 4th

woot!

Oh hell yeah! I want the Cotton Bowl!

badger
11/26/2012, 05:12 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the Kent State game is Friday, so it should in fact be a nationally televised game. Everyone can jump on their tweeters and hashtag the hell outta that game

#bcsfail

MI Sooner
11/26/2012, 05:23 PM
This is an outrage! Kent St. is not deserving of a BCS at-large bid. I demand that OU get one. After all, we're clearly one of the four best at-large candidates, right?

What happened to this county?!?! Does no one have to earn it anymore? Kent St. isn't deserving of an at-large bid. Oh yeah, but we should get it due to some fine print that we negotiated that limits the SEC to 2 total BCS bids. Screw A&M, LSU, South Carolina, and the Georgia/Bama loser!

Scott D
11/26/2012, 05:23 PM
I still blame Boise State.

badger
11/26/2012, 05:28 PM
Oh yeah, but we should get it due to some fine print that we negotiated that limits the SEC to 2 total BCS bids. Screw A&M, LSU, South Carolina, and the Georgia/Bama loser!

1- Expand SEC to 14 teams so that the powerhouses have to play each other less often
2- More SEC teams will therefore have fewer losses and be able to strengthen each other's schedules and rise each other to the top of the rankings.
3- ???
4- PROFIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh yeah, totally.

#smurfturffail

FtwTxSooner
11/26/2012, 05:32 PM
Cotton Bowl Ticket prices also now match what you would expect from Jerry World. Face value of $225 Club, $140 for everything else. And even then, they've sold those out. Either you'll be lucky enough to get a request filled out of the school's allotment, otherwise, prepare to pay up.

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2012, 05:41 PM
This is an outrage! Kent St. is not deserving of a BCS at-large bid. I demand that OU get one. After all, we're clearly one of the four best at-large candidates, right?

What happened to this county?!?! Does no one have to earn it anymore? Kent St. isn't deserving of an at-large bid. Oh yeah, but we should get it due to some fine print that we negotiated that limits the SEC to 2 total BCS bids. Screw A&M, LSU, South Carolina, and the Georgia/Bama loser!

Dear football lord,

Please ignore this post and I beg thee not to smite us on Saturday.

Amen.

Sabanball
11/26/2012, 06:25 PM
Nick Saban and Gary Pinkel were teammates at Kent State in 1970.

KABOOKIE
11/26/2012, 06:36 PM
More proof that the system is rigged to get the east coast and west coast teams two BCS bowls and give the $$$$ to some nobody.

jkjsooner
11/26/2012, 08:30 PM
I don't think there is any rigging. Those in charge don't want mid majors in the BCS. That rule was added to keep the mid majors from suing the BCS on antitrust grounds.

VA Sooner
11/26/2012, 08:53 PM
NIU is favored by 5 last I looked.

Go Huskies!!!!

OU_Sooners75
11/26/2012, 09:04 PM
Which would you rather attend?

Fiesta: likely to face Oregon.
Sugar: likely to face Florida.
Cotton: likely to face either A&M, LSU, Georgia, or Bama. (The loser of the SEC CG will likely fall here.

Of course this all hinges on OU beating TCU. If OU loses to TCU, OU will likely go to the Cotton Bowl anyway.

dennis580
11/26/2012, 11:29 PM
There are other ways Kent St can get in over us get other then a UCLA loss. A Nebraska or FSU loss might also get them in over us.

OU_Sooners75
11/27/2012, 12:23 AM
Trust me, Nothern Illinois will take care of this problem.

All OU and we fans can hope for is a win over TCU. Let's get by this challenge first.

badger
11/27/2012, 09:07 AM
Trust me, Nothern Illinois will take care of this problem.

All OU and we fans can hope for is a win over TCU. Let's get by this challenge first.

GARY PATTERSON IS FAT!
http://rumorsandrants.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Gary-Patterson1.jpg

...wait, that should probably go in the Gary Patterson thread. How about...

KENT STATE IS TOOTHY!
http://media-cache0.pinterest.com/upload/151081762470055762_St6oIkuA_c.jpg

Mjcpr
11/27/2012, 09:24 AM
Whatever happens, I don't want to play Oregon, like, at all.

yermom
11/27/2012, 09:34 AM
that game would be epic. would could try to win somehow while simultaneously giving up 1000 yards of offense

it would be the culmination of what we've been practicing for all season!

badger
11/27/2012, 01:44 PM
time to hate kent state again:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/thujone/Palooza8.jpg
(courtesy of that shaggy painter)

TUSooner
11/27/2012, 01:49 PM
Yeah. The no good batsards.

badger
11/30/2012, 10:12 AM
tonight's the night, eh?

GO REGION OF THIS STATE!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/99/Map_of_Illinois_highlighting_Northern_Illinois.svg/220px-Map_of_Illinois_highlighting_Northern_Illinois.svg .png

BEAT THAT WHICH IS NOT A STATE!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f0/Kent_Box_91-08.jpg