PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Situation

Soonerwake
11/25/2012, 10:23 PM
With a win next Saturday, it is looking good for an at-large BCS berth. However, I just heard that there may be a spoiler by the name of Kent State lurking in the shadows. Any thoughts??

StoopTroup
11/25/2012, 10:26 PM
Pokes Fans have it figured out today....

http://sportsfixchicago.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/toilet-bowl.jpg

yermom
11/25/2012, 10:38 PM
Boise might be more of an issue

BoulderSooner79
11/25/2012, 10:41 PM
I'm sure the sugar bowl committee would be thrilled if they were forced to take Kent State over OU. Stuff like that happens with the BCS rules though. I'll just be thrilled if we can beat TCU and finish 10-2 and see where the bowl thing takes us.

yermom
11/25/2012, 10:42 PM
ok, i hadn't seen the BCS from today. we are boned without a loss by KState

no ranked teams in the Big East???

even if Kent State loses, looks like it's Boise or Northern Illinios

JiminyChristmas
11/25/2012, 10:47 PM
All the more reason the Big East should be dropped as an AQ conference. It really is time.

StoopTroup
11/25/2012, 10:47 PM
ok, i hadn't seen the BCS from today. we are boned without a loss by KState

no ranked teams in the Big East???

even if Kent State loses, looks like it's Boise or Northern Illinios

We got hit hard for the K-State loss. We got zero love after that by losing to ND at Home and then when K-State lost to Baylor....we were lucky not to have fallen with them in the polls. Nobody thinks we are a 4th Quarter Team. Given the last two weeks...I think we have a few heads looking our way but you are absolutely right...we need K-State to get beat by the whorns and we need to beat TCU like a drum.

yermom
11/25/2012, 10:53 PM
it has nothing to do with our ranking, it's the rules of the non-AQ conference champs. there are just so many slots, and Oregon will get one of them

StoopTroup
11/25/2012, 11:00 PM
it has nothing to do with our ranking, it's the rules of the non-AQ conference champs. there are just so many slots, and Oregon will get one of them

I'm just saying...to win the Big XII is our only hope of getting one of the slots and playing a one loss Team under my scenario.

Given the way our Defense is playing...I'm not sure we should play a tough one loss Team in a Major Bowl. However...the Defense did wake up in the 4th quarter last night. Maybe they are working things out a bit and if the Offense can keep up the pace of these awesome Total Offensive Stats...maybe the Defense has what it takes to bring us Home another nice Trophy.

oumom2many
11/25/2012, 11:02 PM

Truth. Too many 2 loss teams. :grumpy:

JLEW1818
11/25/2012, 11:04 PM
Tamu, Lsu, loser of Bama-Georgia get left out of BCS because only two can go from a conference.

We don't deserve it anyways.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/25/2012, 11:12 PM
it has nothing to do with our ranking, it's the rules of the non-AQ conference champs. there are just so many slots, and Oregon will get one of themIf we don't get to go to the Rose Bowl, IDRGAS where we end up. Just so we beat whoever it is, and get a bunch more top quality recruits in Feb.

StoopTroup
11/25/2012, 11:14 PM
Some are speculating we could play phlorida and have a re-match of 2008.

StoopTroup
11/25/2012, 11:18 PM
Tamu, Lsu, loser of Bama-Georgia get left out of BCS because only two can go from a conference.

We don't deserve it anyways.

Also Ohio State.

Your opinion that we don't deserve it is your opinion but I think we do. ND nor K-State blew us out. With a win this weekend on the road to TCU...I think we have as decent a shot as anyone else. The Big XII has shown it can compete and the Teams that though they would walk into this Conference and change things....they were wrong about that.

Our Players played their a$$es off last night. You really had to be there to see the look on their faces. They weren't going to let aggie walk out of there with a win. It was amazing. I'm thinking they played the same way in West Virginia too. TCU better be ready to play on Saturday as this bunch doesn't give up.

Some are speculating we could play phlorida and have a re-match of 2008.I've heard/seen that one too. We could do worse, but we had better beat them somehow.

JLEW1818
So what's the exact rule? If a big-6 champion is not ranked, and a none-AQ is ranked in the top 16, that AQ gets an auto BCS bid?

OU_Sooners75
11/25/2012, 11:23 PM
With a win next Saturday, it is looking good for an at-large BCS berth. However, I just heard that there may be a spoiler by the name of Kent State lurking in the shadows. Any thoughts??

Yeah, I highly doubt Kent State gets in the top 12 in the BCS before next week.

Top 12 is automatic for a mid major.

-The winner of Bama and Georgia plays Notre Dame in the bcs titl game. The loser is likely out of the BCS between uga and bama is likely out.

-The winner of the pac 12 ccg will be in rose vs. The big 10. The loswes of both ccgs are out of the bcs picture.

-Fiesta Bowl is likely Oregon vs. KSU or OU. KSU if they beat Texas. OU if Texas beats KSU.

-Orange Bowl will be the ACC and Big East champions. (Likely Florida State and Lousiville)

-Sugar Bowl will likely be Florida vs the #2 Big 12 team unless the #2 Big 12 team loses their final regular season game. Then this spot is like belonging to Clemson, the #2 Big 10, the #2 Big East, or even Kent State.

Kent State doesn't make a BCS bowl unless the Sugar is completely out of options.

sendbaht
11/25/2012, 11:25 PM
Read this>> http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/kent-state-biggest-surprise-week-bcs-standings-023217313--ncaaf.html

should explan some.

StoopTroup
11/25/2012, 11:28 PM
Updated: November 20, 2012, 4:07 PM ET

The 11 Bowl Championship Series (BCS) conferences and four bowls today announced the teams that remain under consideration to participate in the five games that comprise the BCS.
The teams were identified during a teleconference among the 11 Football Bowl Subdivision conference commissioners, the Notre Dame athletics director, and representatives from the Discover Orange Bowl, Allstate Sugar Bowl, Tostitos Fiesta Bowl and the Rose Bowl Game presented by VIZIO. The No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the final BCS Standings will meet in the Discover BCS National Championship Game January 7 in South Florida.
The champions of the Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern conferences automatically qualify for a BCS game. In addition, the highest-ranked conference champion from among Conference USA, the Mid-American, Mountain West, Sun Belt and Western Athletic Conferences earns automatic qualification to one of the BCS games if that champion is ranked No. 12 or better in the final BCS Standings, or No. 16 or better if it is ranked higher than any champion from the ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 or Southeastern conferences. Notre Dame qualifies automatically if it is ranked No. 8 or better.
At-large berths also will be available. The bowls will fill those berths from teams ranked in the top 14 of the final BCS Standings. No conference may place more than two teams in the BCS games, unless the conference has two teams in the National Championship Game, and neither team is its champion.
The final BCS Standings will be compiled Sunday, December 2. The BCS bowl pairings will be announced at 8:30 p.m. Eastern time that day, on ESPN television.
The champions from the six conferences which receive automatic spots in the BCS games have not been determined. The following is a list of teams still contending for their conferences' automatic berths:

ACC: Florida State, Georgia Tech
Big East: Louisville, Rutgers
Big Ten: Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin
Big 12: Kansas State, Oklahoma, Texas
Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, UCLA
SEC: Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M

In addition to those teams, the pool of teams remaining under consideration also includes (in alphabetical order): Boise State, Clemson, Florida, Kent State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Oregon State and South Carolina.
Following is the schedule of the BCS games. All games will be televised on ESPN.

January 1 -- Rose Bowl Presented by VIZIO
January 1 -- Discover Orange Bowl
January 2 -- Allstate Sugar Bowl
January 3 -- Tostitos Fiesta Bowl
January 7 -- Discover BCS National Championship Game

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=8657097

MyT Oklahoma
11/25/2012, 11:43 PM
I'm sure the sugar bowl committee would be thrilled if they were forced to take Kent State over OU. Stuff like that happens with the BCS rules though. I'll just be thrilled if we can beat TCU and finish 10-2 and see where the bowl thing takes us.

Ditto. After all it is what it is.

StoopTroup
11/25/2012, 11:51 PM
There is just to many really good one and two loss teams this year for the Bowls to be out of options. The Bowl Committees look at things like being able to sell tickets and whether or not the Team they choose has a fan base that travels as well as how many folks will watch the game.

Teams like Kent State are a novelty and the ratings will be high if they keep the Game close but if they get blown out the first 5 minutes....the Bowl Committee will have a stroke for picking them. That's why I think they have no chance with Teams like ours who's Offense has been on fire.

VA Sooner
11/26/2012, 12:03 AM
Problem is... the Pac-12 championship and the re-match of Stanford and UCLA. If Stanford beats UCLA, then UCLA at 16 would drop below Kent State and opens the door for them to take an at-large bid. Root for Texas to beat KSU and/or Stanford to lose to UCLA to keep Kent State out... or Kent State to lose this weekend.

Lots can happen though... either way, we just need to focus on winning this coming weekend and spending the next 3 weeks fixing our defense.

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2012, 12:05 AM
There is just to many really good one and two loss teams this year for the Bowls to be out of options. The Bowl Committees look at things like being able to sell tickets and whether or not the Team they choose has a fan base that travels.

By "out of options" I believe the poster meant the BCS rules forced a selection on them and they had no choice. I.e. Kent State, Northern Ill., etc.

The football gods do exist and they might hear us if we all start bitchin' getting screwed by the bowl selection. If they do, that can only lead to one thing: we get whipped by TCU to make us look like morans.

Salt City Sooner
11/26/2012, 12:11 AM
Also Ohio State.

Your opinion that we don't deserve it is your opinion but I think we do. ND nor K-State blew us out. With a win this weekend on the road to TCU...I think we have as decent a shot as anyone else. The Big XII has shown it can compete and the Teams that though they would walk into this Conference and change things....they were wrong about that.

Our Players played their a$$es off last night. You really had to be there to see the look on their faces. They weren't going to let aggie walk out of there with a win. It was amazing. I'm thinking they played the same way in West Virginia too. TCU better be ready to play on Saturday as this bunch doesn't give up.
They're not eligible to go bowling; season is done.

yermom
11/26/2012, 12:16 AM
By "out of options" I believe the poster meant the BCS rules forced a selection on them and they had no choice. I.e. Kent State, Northern Ill., etc.

The football gods do exist and they might hear us if we all start bitchin' getting screwed by the bowl selection. If they do, that can only lead to one thing: we get whipped by TCU to make us look like morans.

any situation resulting from us beating TCU works for me :D

Salt City Sooner
11/26/2012, 12:19 AM
Yeah, I highly doubt Kent State gets in the top 12 in the BCS before next week.

Top 12 is automatic for a mid major.

-The winner of Bama and Georgia plays Notre Dame in the bcs titl game. The loser is likely out of the BCS between uga and bama is likely out.

-The winner of the pac 12 ccg will be in rose vs. The big 10. The loswes of both ccgs are out of the bcs picture.

-Fiesta Bowl is likely Oregon vs. KSU or OU. KSU if they beat Texas. OU if Texas beats KSU.

-Orange Bowl will be the ACC and Big East champions. (Likely Florida State and Lousiville)

-Sugar Bowl will likely be Florida vs the #2 Big 12 team unless the #2 Big 12 team loses their final regular season game. Then this spot is like belonging to Clemson, the #2 Big 10, the #2 Big East, or even Kent State.

Kent State doesn't make a BCS bowl unless the Sugar is completely out of options.
If that mid-major is ranked ahead of the champion of an AQ conference (& right now the Big East has no ranked team), then that mid-major only needs to be ranked #16 to get the bid.

EDIT- Whoops, didn't read post #19 by ST before I posted this; the rule is in there.

Seamus
11/26/2012, 12:37 AM
Problem is... the Pac-12 championship and the re-match of Stanford and UCLA. If Stanford beats UCLA, then UCLA at 16 would drop below Kent State and opens the door for them to take an at-large bid. Root for Texas to beat KSU and/or Stanford to lose to UCLA to keep Kent State out... or Kent State to lose this weekend.

You're forgetting about Oregon.

Stanford and Oregon likely are the two from the Pac-12. UCLA wins, they're champs -- and Oregon still goes.

PDXsooner
11/26/2012, 12:55 AM
Here it is: Root for OU to win (Obviously), and one of the following: UCLA to beat Stanford, Norther Illinois to beat Kent St, or Texas (gasp!) to beat K State. Without one of those three games going in our favor, Kent State (4 dead in O HI O) will steal our BCS bid.

11/26/2012, 01:14 AM
Say you went to Penn State, did ya? Er, ah, no! That would be KENT state. That would be our 52nd state, just north of East Carolina.

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2012, 02:04 AM
Here it is: Root for OU to win (Obviously), and one of the following: UCLA to beat Stanford, Norther Illinois to beat Kent St, or Texas (gasp!) to beat K State. Without one of those three games going in our favor, Kent State (4 dead in O HI O) will steal our BCS bid.

I don't see how UCLA/Stanford affects OU. The winner gets the Rose bowl and the Ducks will get an at large bid.

StoopTroup
11/26/2012, 02:15 AM
They're not eligible to go bowling; season is done.

Well Duh. I thought everyone knew that. Thanks for reminding us all....LMAO

I mentioned them as some of the polls have them listed and I think some folks get to looking at our ranking and forget to look and see if the bucknuts are listed or not when they are breaking down the number of eligible Teams for the 10 spots in the BCS Bowls.

yermom
11/26/2012, 02:16 AM
I don't see how UCLA/Stanford affects OU. The winner gets the Rose bowl and the Ducks will get an at large bid.

Stanford probably doesn't drop below Kent State, but UCLA would

we need to win and have none of the ranked teams above Kent State drop below them

StoopTroup
11/26/2012, 02:25 AM
We need to definitely win. Then we need K-State to lose to Mack. 2 things. 1) we win the Big XII and 2) Mack keeps his job.

We need this to happen. Do it for Mack! :wink:

LASooner
11/26/2012, 03:47 AM

We're talking about Bowl officials in Louisiana, bribes are going to the refs in the UCLA game and the MAC championship as we speak.

VA Sooner
11/26/2012, 07:24 AM
We need to definitely win. Then we need K-State to lose to Mack. 2 things. 1) we win the Big XII and 2) Mack keeps his job.

We need this to happen. Do it for Mack! :wink:

I agree with this message... the soundest argument here.

VA Sooner
11/26/2012, 07:25 AM
Stanford probably doesn't drop below Kent State, but UCLA would

we need to win and have none of the ranked teams above Kent State drop below them

I agree... this is how the Stanford-UCLA game affects us. UCLA would drop below Kent State with a loss and thus KS would get the at-large bid.

Wishboned
11/26/2012, 08:40 AM
Say you went to Penn State, did ya? Er, ah, no! That would be KENT state. That would be our 52nd state, just north of East Carolina.

Would that make Boise State the 53rd state?

cvsooner
11/26/2012, 02:19 PM
I vote for us beating TCU and KSU beating Texas. I want no part of Oregon and that offense vs. our defense in Arizona. Plus, we've been to Arizona four times in the past five years. Enough already.

I'm thinking we're going to wind up in the Cotton Bowl...unless N. Illinois can come through and beat Kent St.

Florida has a terrible, terrible offense but an awesome defense. That might be our best matchup, especially if we can get some of our folks healthy (like Damien Williams, Darryl Williams, Tony Jefferson, etc.)

yermom
11/26/2012, 02:24 PM
i think Michigan would maybe hold NIU or Boise off, if Kent State loses

i don't know if i'm really willing to root against them though.

on the other hand, i think i'd rather not play the Aggies in the Cotton Bowl

StoopTroup
11/26/2012, 03:57 PM
Winning the Big XII is our best option. If we were rooting our Team to win the MNC this year....I see no reason why we would want to root for any scenario other than winning our Conference. If K-State beats Texas then we take whatever comes our way. If we lose to TCU...we don't deserve much more than some Bowl that would make our Fans happy and maybe see Bob play some of our players who will return for next years Rebuilding Team.

cvsooner
11/26/2012, 04:35 PM
Yeah, with a coach with ties to Oklahoma at the helm, all of a sudden aTm is a major threat. Dang...that kid can play at QB, huh? Interestingly enough, Florida stopped him pretty good. But we've got to get past TCU first...easier said than done. Hope we're not flat after a big, emotional win...and the Horny Toads had an extra couple of days off to prepare, no less. Plus a running QB...argh.

LA.SoonerFan
11/26/2012, 06:11 PM
We win, K-State loses it's Fiesta. We both win it's Sugar. We lose it's Cotton. I hope it's Sugar. I will be in New Orleans if it happens.

OU_Sooners75
11/26/2012, 08:47 PM
Its all a moot point anyway.

Northern Illinois is going to beat Kent State.

And if they don't, and OU gets left ouf of the BCS. OH WELL. GO TO THE cotton Bowl and beat Georgia, LSU, or Bama team.

OU_Sooners75
11/26/2012, 08:48 PM
And yes, I was mistaken. AQ for a mid major if one of the AQ conference champions are ranked lower than 16 and the mid major is in the top 16.

Maybe if OU doesn't get to go, they should learn to win more games and fix any problems they may have.

CowboyMRW
11/26/2012, 08:55 PM
I hope yall and KSU both make the BCS. I would love a shot at LSU in the Cotton. Plus I could go for free

SoonerMarkVA
11/26/2012, 09:00 PM
No conference may place more than two teams in the BCS games, unless the conference has two teams in the National Championship Game, and neither team is its champion.
Ha! I can't wait to see the day that rule is enforced.

Plexis22
11/27/2012, 09:05 PM
So if it's indeed Sugar (NIU beats Kent St Friday and OU/KSU win Saturday) then do we play Florida? Or is that still up in the air based on what happens with the SEC CCG?

yermom
11/27/2012, 09:11 PM
looks like Florida is in the Sugar, since they would be the highest ranked team not in the championship game

loser of Bama/Georgia would have two losses, so they probably drop to the Capital One Bowl

btk108
11/29/2012, 10:48 AM
No Cotton Bowl please. Just checked, tickets are sold out which means the Texans bought them all and will hold them for ransom if we go there.

kevpks
11/29/2012, 10:58 AM
We win, K-State loses it's Fiesta. We both win it's Sugar. We lose it's Cotton. I hope it's Sugar. I will be in New Orleans if it happens.

An article in the Oklahoman raised the possibility of the Fiesta trading us to the Sugar Bowl if we win the Big XII. That would be the perfect scenario in my book.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-ou-officials-discuss-possible-trade-from-fiesta-bowl-to-sugar-bowl/article/3732224

BillyBall
11/29/2012, 11:46 AM
Its all a moot point anyway.

Northern Illinois is going to beat Kent State.

And if they don't, and OU gets left ouf of the BCS. OH WELL. GO TO THE cotton Bowl and beat Georgia, LSU, or Bama team.

I agree, Northern Illinois is going to win the game. But if a team that lost to Kentucky by 33 somehow gets into the Sugar Bowl, I will be fascinated to see what the spread on that game would be.

BillyBall
11/29/2012, 11:46 AM
looks like Florida is in the Sugar, since they would be the highest ranked team not in the championship game

loser of Bama/Georgia would have two losses, so they probably drop to the Capital One Bowl

Or Cotton?

Mac94
11/29/2012, 11:56 AM
Right now the bowl scuttle on the SEC side of things is Florida to Sugar ... A&M to Cap One ... if Bama beats Georiga then LSU to Cotton, if Georgia wins then Bama to Cotton.

Sounds like OU is most likely Sugar although Fiesta and Cotton are possibilities. Saw that Oregon is projected to Fiesta ... so .. the matchups might be:

OU vs Florida (Sugar)
OU vs Oregon(?) (Fiesta)
OU vs Alabama (Cotton)
OU vs LSU (Cotton)

Interesting games all the way around.

kevpks
11/29/2012, 12:26 PM
We're not looking up at Baylor and OSU this year--a modicum of order has been restored.

yermom
11/29/2012, 02:10 PM
We're not looking up at Baylor and OSU this year--a modicum of order has been restored.

fo sho.

OUInformant
11/29/2012, 09:15 PM
If OU wins, they will be in a BCS game.

Mac94
11/30/2012, 09:45 AM
I hope yall and KSU both make the BCS. I would love a shot at LSU in the Cotton. Plus I could go for free

Seriously doubt oSu gets taken ahead of Texas ... The Longhorns seem like an almost lock for Cotton unless circumstances drop the Sooners out of the BCS. Cowboys probably end up in San Antonio?

ADs_Agent
11/30/2012, 12:21 PM
I don't want any part of a team with a good offense. Give me a team with a bad offense and a good defense like Florida. The Sooners should avoid Oregon like the plague.

Bourbon St Sooner
11/30/2012, 01:06 PM
I don't want any part of a team with a good offense. Give me a team with a bad offense and a good defense like Florida. The Sooners should avoid Oregon like the plague.

Well, if you look at this year, we've won the shootouts and lost the defensive battles.

misplacedsooner
11/30/2012, 01:29 PM
i have my preferences but ill line up with anyone they put in front of us

MI Sooner
11/30/2012, 03:20 PM
edit: in reply to the post about getting 3 teams from one conference...

If Georgia had beaten LSU in the CCG last year, it would have be LSU/Bama in the NCG and UGA in the Sugar Bowl.

FirstandGoal
12/1/2012, 01:25 AM
Well, if you look at this year, we've won the shootouts and lost the defensive battles.

Yeah, but there's high powered offenses and then there's Oregon.
I almost get a migraine thinking about how many yards against our D the Ducks could potentially acrue.

OU_Sooners75
12/1/2012, 01:41 AM
Yeah, Oregons offense looks tight. But look what they have done against teams with similar speed and size. Not exactly throw up a ton of points.

Besides their defense sucks anyway. They would score so fast against predominately run teams and make them play catch up, where they had to throw more than run.

So a team with a quick strike offense can also outscore them. They just haven't had to face one.

jkjsooner
12/1/2012, 09:33 AM
edit: in reply to the post about getting 3 teams from one conference...

If Georgia had beaten LSU in the CCG last year, it would have be LSU/Bama in the NCG and UGA in the Sugar Bowl.

This scenario isn't actually covered by the rules as written but instead causes the rules to contradict themselves - unless they put it in writing after last year's clarification.

What's ridiculous is that the BCS rule makers didn't envision that scenario. The first time I saw the rules I thought of that possible scenario.

kevpks
12/1/2012, 10:02 AM
Yeah, Oregons offense looks tight. But look what they have done against teams with similar speed and size. Not exactly throw up a ton of points.

Besides their defense sucks anyway. They would score so fast against predominately run teams and make them play catch up, where they had to throw more than run.

So a team with a quick strike offense can also outscore them. They just haven't had to face one.

I agree. I'd like our chances in a shootout with Oregon.

Sooner95
12/1/2012, 08:13 PM
Here's what I am thinking...

Rose - Stanford vs Nebbish/Wisc
Orange - Louisville vs FSU/Gtech
Sugar - Florida vs OU/KSU/Oregon
Fiesta - OU/KSU vs Oregon
BSC - ND vs Bama

Not sure what the order of selection is..

yermom
12/1/2012, 10:36 PM
i'm thinking there is enough of a void for Boise or NIU to sneak into the top 16 if Texas can't pull off a win

Nebraska losing really throws things off.

there are 4 close teams above Boise that have lost or are losing.