PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for applying to attend OU?

BoomerSooner123
11/25/2012, 07:06 PM
My son (Sooner in Alabama) considers OU his dream school and is very strong academically. He is a Junior in high school. Any suggestions? I would like to give him every possible chance to be an OU alum,,,eventually.

olevetonahill
11/25/2012, 07:10 PM
I wish him the best, hes a Great Kid, you should be Proud

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2012, 07:33 PM
they have a ton of scholarships available just will need to check them out; i know they offered my son a Valedictorian Tuition waiver but it was only 1000 a semester; best bet is to make about a 34 on the ACT.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/26/2012, 12:06 AM
I suggest he follow his dreams.

yermom
11/26/2012, 12:19 AM
best suggestion, own the PSAT and SAT :D

next, be about 6'5" and 300lbs, and get about 20 sacks next year

i don't think applying is that tough, it's paying for it...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/26/2012, 01:27 AM
best suggestion, own the PSAT and SAT :D

next, be about 6'5" and 300lbs, and get about 20 sacks next year

i don't think applying is that tough, it's paying for it...Show proof you can run faster than Tavon Austin.

BoomerSooner123
11/26/2012, 06:58 AM
ACT was good enough for some schollies. He's taking it again though.

Maybe we can find an oddball schollie, His gg gf was a Boomer (Marshall) in the land rush. Or maybe he can luck out and punch a 35 ACT or average 35 yards a carry next season.

Thanks for the thoughts.

olevetonahill
11/26/2012, 07:06 AM
ACT was good enough for some schollies. He's taking it again though.

Maybe we can find an oddball schollie, His gg gf was a Boomer (Marshall) in the land rush. Or maybe he can luck out and punch a 35 ACT or average 35 yards a carry next season.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I got a feeling that if he gets that 35 there wont be any "Luck" involved

Did he get to make a game this year? he aint been on much ( Prolly studying)

badger
11/26/2012, 09:23 AM
If you are a National Merit Scholar, OU will bend over backward, so that is your best option (unless of course, you are a 5-star football recruit, in which case they will bend over 360 degrees to get you to come).

Other than that, they do offer tons of outta state scholarships, because as I mentioned in another thread, outta state students are where public institutions make their money these days.

Useful link: http://www.ou.edu/scholarships.html

cleller
11/26/2012, 09:39 AM
If his school offers AP classes. Take all he can. When you apply, I believe OU automatically goes over your ACT scores, etc to determine if you are eligible for scholarships. Several are state-provided, like the Regent's scholarships. Still, get familiar with that link above about scholarships.

If he qualifies, check into enrolling with the Honors College at OU. If you take a few honors level courses you can graduate with honors, which always looks good, especially if he may later apply to grad schools.

SicEmBaylor
11/26/2012, 12:59 PM
My son (Sooner in Alabama) considers OU his dream school and is very strong academically. He is a Junior in high school. Any suggestions? I would like to give him every possible chance to be an OU alum,,,eventually.
First step: Tear up OU application
Second step: Fill out Baylor application
Third step: PROFIT!

badger
11/26/2012, 01:31 PM
First step: Tear up OU application
Second step: Fill out Baylor application
Third step: PROFIT!

Is that what your parents did when you were college-bound? ;)

SicEmBaylor
11/26/2012, 01:40 PM
Is that what your parents did when you were college-bound? ;)

Actually, yes. I had filled out an OU application. Both my mother and father are Poke alums with my father also having a graduate and a medical degree from OSU. They told me they would never pay one single red cent to Oklahoma and that they'd pay for any other school I wanted to go to except for OU.

A week or so later I took a visit down to Waco to check Baylor out and fell in love with the place. Otherwise I'd be "PokeEm" instead of "SicEm." My wardrobe would also be substantially tackier.

Seriously though, I love OU and would have attended were it not for Baylor and the obvious issue of my parents. BS123's son will be very happy there, I think.

SicEmBaylor
11/26/2012, 01:42 PM
dp

badger
11/26/2012, 01:57 PM
Well, at least your parents didn't tell you they buried corpses under Memorial Stadium's turf like that tutor in The Blind Side did :eek:

cleller
11/27/2012, 10:11 AM
Actually, yes. I had filled out an OU application. Both my mother and father are Poke alums with my father also having a graduate and a medical degree from OSU. They told me they would never pay one single red cent to Oklahoma and that they'd pay for any other school I wanted to go to except for OU.

A week or so later I took a visit down to Waco to check Baylor out and fell in love with the place. Otherwise I'd be "PokeEm" instead of "SicEm." My wardrobe would also be substantially tackier.

Seriously though, I love OU and would have attended were it not for Baylor and the obvious issue of my parents. BS123's son will be very happy there, I think.

What type of Med degree? At first I was thinking of only Stillwater, but remembered the Tulsa Osteo college that is now operated by OSU. That it?

To me, it will always be "Double O". Oklahoma Osteopathic. Likewise, TRMC in Tulsa is also always "Double O" hospital.

SicEmBaylor
11/27/2012, 01:05 PM
What type of Med degree? At first I was thinking of only Stillwater, but remembered the Tulsa Osteo college that is now operated by OSU. That it?

To me, it will always be "Double O". Oklahoma Osteopathic. Likewise, TRMC in Tulsa is also always "Double O" hospital.

Oklahoma Osteopathic. It actually wasn't OSU when he attended although they had some kind of partnership affiliation before being completely taken over by OSU. They actually sent him a new diploma that read 'OSU' when they took it over which I found odd but whatever.

I still call the hospital Tulsa Regional. I'm slow to change.

delhalew
11/28/2012, 01:07 PM
Make sure he knows they don't offer a major in Sex, Drugs, and Rock n Roll. I know, it seems silly when you can major in women's studies or medicine...pffft. Hey, what are you gonna do?

badger
11/28/2012, 01:11 PM
you can major in women's studies

omg stay away from any classes offered by that department :eek:

stoops the eternal pimp
11/28/2012, 01:13 PM
Score a 26 ACT or 1170 SAT and have a 3.0 GPA or rank in the top 50 percent of your class3,4 OR have a 3.5 GPA and rank in the top 25 percent of your class4 OR have a 3.0 GPA1 in the 15-unit core and a 22 ACT or 1020 SAT5.

delhalew
11/28/2012, 01:14 PM
omg stay away from any classes offered by that department :eek:
I'll try, but I do like the ladies...giggity.

SicEmBaylor
11/28/2012, 02:01 PM
I'll try, but I do like the ladies...giggity.

Not these ladies. Trust me.

StoopTroup
11/28/2012, 02:13 PM
I'm slow.

Refreshing.

delhalew
11/28/2012, 04:09 PM
Not these ladies. Trust me.
Were is your sense of adventure? Climb every mountain, all that. You haven't lived until you've made it with a lady who hates you for more than the usual reasons.