PDA

View Full Version : Poke fans blaming refs...of course!

SoonerObsession
11/25/2012, 03:17 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e72/tandkwelch/Saunders2.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e72/tandkwelch/OSUblockback.jpg

boomersooner28
11/25/2012, 03:20 PM
Let Aggie be Aggie.

goingoneight
11/25/2012, 03:20 PM
They're talking about the one in the center of the field right where Saunders fielded the punt to return. That could've been called either way.

olevetonahill
11/25/2012, 03:25 PM
Whats the big deal?
I've heard a bunch right here blameing the Zebras for a loss. even yers truly

Curly Bill
11/25/2012, 03:28 PM
Whats the big deal?
I've heard a bunch right here blameing the Zebras for a loss. even yers truly

This^^^^^

I get quite a laugh when folks on here talk about "aggy" things, when we do the same damn stuff.

SoonerObsession
11/25/2012, 03:31 PM
I know we have our goobers too. The last time I blamed officials for a loss was the Oregon debacle.

Curly Bill
11/25/2012, 03:33 PM
The OU fanbase (one word?) is pretty much like the rest of em. It is funny that some peeps, many who post on here regularly, assume that we're somehow better or more enlightened than others.

The only thing that makes us better is we're OU fans, in most other regards we're like other fans.

Soonermagik
11/25/2012, 03:34 PM
I saw a bunch of blatant holds against our guys that never got called. Both teams have garbage defenses. The reason they lost was due to their inability to tackle Bell or Clay.

StoopTroup
11/25/2012, 03:38 PM
BEST TWO OUT OF THREE!

THE BATTLE CRY OF THE LoSuR

cherokeebrewer
11/25/2012, 03:40 PM
In all fairness to poke fans (that was difficult to type), most are not blaming the refs...

Jeronimo
11/25/2012, 03:48 PM
Maybe most poke fans in your circle of society Cherokee, but in my seat yesterday, I heard it literally every scoring play OU had from the 6 poke fans around me, and loudly LOL And a few facebookers are still going on about missed calls. I promise you I will hear it all day tomorrow and probably all week from the pokies I work with. All I heard all week was how osu was gonna roll OU and how they are a "new traditional powerhouse" LOL Yes that is an actual quote from them last week. I almost died laughing.

bluedogok
11/25/2012, 03:49 PM
The OU fanbase (one word?) is pretty much like the rest of em. It is funny that some peeps, many who post on here regularly, assume that we're somehow better or more enlightened than others.

The only thing that makes us better is we're OU fans, in most other regards we're like other fans.
Just like Whorn fans and pretty much every fan base.

cherokeebrewer
11/25/2012, 04:15 PM
Maybe most poke fans in your circle of society Cherokee, but in my seat yesterday, I heard it literally every scoring play OU had from the 6 poke fans around me, and loudly LOL And a few facebookers are still going on about missed calls. I promise you I will hear it all day tomorrow and probably all week from the pokies I work with. All I heard all week was how osu was gonna roll OU and how they are a "new traditional powerhouse" LOL Yes that is an actual quote from them last week. I almost died laughing.

Living in the boondocks, my circle of society is small...my daughter's boyfriend is a poke fan. Glad you lived thru it!

Salt City Sooner
11/25/2012, 04:33 PM
They're talking about the one in the center of the field right where Saunders fielded the punt to return. That could've been called either way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3WdSUOBe_0

Jayden Bird at the 25 yd. line; pretty much the textbook definition of a B.I.T.B. That said, I'm not complaining because like pic 2 of the OP shows, OSU got away w/ a few things as well.

bluedogok
11/25/2012, 04:36 PM
Living in the boondocks, my circle of society is small...my daughter's boyfriend is a poke fan. Glad you lived thru it!
Since moving from OKC in 2003 my exposure to Poke fans has greatly diminished, my only exposure is through FB with former co-workers or classmates. Even the Whorn fans in Austin were easy to deal with over the Poke fans I knew in OKC, maybe since Whorn fans tend to get more obnoxious the further they get away from Austin.

OU_Sooners75
11/25/2012, 05:05 PM
Well pic one is a block in the back.

The ONLY reason is because the blockers head isn't in front of the defenders body.

The picture that's not shown is on the same play as the first pic.

picasso
11/25/2012, 05:12 PM
They blocked Ronnell Lewis in the back on their KR in 2010.

Big effin deal.

Curly Bill
11/25/2012, 05:55 PM

Yup

thecrimsoncrusader
11/25/2012, 06:15 PM
Wand moaning doesn't change the outcome of a game. OU won, they need to deal with it.

jk the sooner fan
11/25/2012, 06:23 PM
its different when poke fans blame the refs than when we do it

sheesh, everybody knows that :D

cherokeebrewer
11/25/2012, 06:25 PM
We've had so many no calls & bad calls go against us over the years, it will never even out. Dang it...now I'm doin' it.

PalmBeachSooner
11/25/2012, 06:28 PM
There was definitely a block in the back on the punt return for a TD. I think it was our #44 and it happened just in front of Saunders right after he made the catch.

bluedogok
11/25/2012, 06:54 PM
There was definitely a block in the back on the punt return for a TD. I think it was our #44 and it happened just in front of Saunders right after he made the catch.
...and there were multiple ones in Johnny Rodgers punt return that weren't called.

NEWS FLASH.....officiating is inconsistent.

BajaOklahoma
11/25/2012, 07:06 PM
I'm still not over the missing field call. (1984 RRS)

cherokeebrewer
11/25/2012, 07:48 PM
I'm still not over the missing field call. (1984 RRS)

Oh man, Keith Stanberry had that ball cradled and was shootin' a rooster tail thru the water in the endzone and they called it out of bounds...

goingoneight
11/25/2012, 07:53 PM
I saw a bunch of blatant holds against our guys that never got called. Both teams have garbage defenses. The reason they lost was due to their inability to tackle Bell or Clay.

Ummm... or the fact that they spent all season long, coaches, players and idiot fans alike disrespecting Landry Jones. That guy who accounted for like 95% of our offense against them the last four years.

OUBookbabe
11/26/2012, 01:17 AM
amen!

picasso
11/26/2012, 01:19 AM
Ummm... or the fact that they spent all season long, coaches, players and idiot fans alike disrespecting Landry Jones. That guy who accounted for like 95% of our offense against them the last four years.
Yeah, I still think Landry should have tossed a zinger at Monken's junk in pregame warmups ala Paul Crewe.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/26/2012, 01:37 AM
Ummm... or the fact that they spent all season long, coaches, players and idiot fans alike disrespecting Landry Jones. That guy who accounted for like 95% of our offense against them the last four years.Landry won 75% of the games he was in against the State Ewe. (and it could have been 100% if Bad Landry hadn't showed up for that 2011 game)Does aggy think they "have arrived" in the upper tier of college football? Jealous little munchkins!

StoopTroup
11/26/2012, 02:12 AM
Like Bob has always said....You have to play well enough to overcome bad calls and anything else that might lead you to losing a game. Good Teams over come these things and great Teams win.

The Refs are Human and even with the instant replay....they still make mistakes.

I think it's better than it used to be but it's not perfect. The Pokes had a chance to avoid losing and instead of going for a TD in OT...they chose to kick a FG. Clay had a good lane to run through and got to the End Zone for the TD and the Win.

Anyone bitching about the Refereeing is crazy as oSu had the opportunity to at the very least...go to a 2nd OT and instead....Gundy chose to kick the FG.

Game Over...take the loss Bitches!

jk the sooner fan
11/26/2012, 07:20 AM
STANBERRY WAS IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:(

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/26/2012, 07:25 AM

The ONLY reason is because the blockers head isn't in front of the defenders body.

The biggest problem was that the guy just flopped. What they don't show is that Clay takes his hands off of him and then a 1/2 second later he falls to the ground.

Peeb
11/26/2012, 08:58 AM
Like Bob has always said....You have to play well enough to overcome bad calls and anything else that might lead you to losing a game. Good Teams over come these things and great Teams win.

The Refs are Human and even with the instant replay....they still make mistakes.

I think it's better than it used to be but it's not perfect. The Pokes had a chance to avoid losing and instead of going for a TD in OT...they chose to kick a FG. Clay had a good lane to run through and got to the End Zone for the TD and the Win.

Anyone bitching about the Refereeing is crazy as oSu had the opportunity to at the very least...go to a 2nd OT and instead....Gundy chose to kick the FG.

Game Over...take the loss Bitches!
/thread.

Oregon 2006 was a game-determinative jobbing. Prime example of game turning on ref error.

2012 Bedlam- OU simply won. Rational OSU fans know this. Every fan base has irrational fans.

Congrats on the well-earned win. Very fun game to watch.

You won because you played better when you add up 4 quarters +OT.

That's how winners do it- they play better.

Peeb
11/26/2012, 09:01 AM
Landry won 75% of the games he was in against the State Ewe. (and it could have been 100% if Bad Landry hadn't showed up for that 2011 game)Does aggy think they "have arrived" in the upper tier of college football? Jealous little munchkins!
Ha ha!

We coulda won this year if we had played better- what precisely is the point of that highlighted comment? LOL. Congrats on the win- Landry was marvelous. Good christian kid too- genuinely fond of him.

rock on sooner
11/26/2012, 09:08 AM
its different when poke fans blame the refs than when we do it

sheesh, everybody knows that :D

That's cause we really do get shafted by the refs and they think they do!:glee:
And, there were three blocks in the back on Johnny Rodgers punt return.

PrideMom
11/26/2012, 09:50 AM
Wah, Wah, Wah!! Who cares what the OSU fans think, feel, etc.?

BermudaSooner
11/26/2012, 09:59 AM
The awful pass interference call in the endzone on 3rd down giving Poke a new set of downs comes to mind as well. I stopped counting the number of times McFarland gets into the backfield only to be tackled by the center or guard...

We gained well over a 100 yards more than they did, we were the better team...we won.

thecrimsoncrusader
11/26/2012, 10:04 AM

Bird was pushed by an OSU player.

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2012, 11:11 AM
Wah, Wah, Wah!! Who cares what the OSU fans think, feel, etc.?

I actually do in a way. The feeling of being a victim of injustice seems to stick with folks - just look at the comments in this thread. Can the subject of refs ever come up without someone mentioning Oregon, Stansberry or even as far back as Johnny Rogers? Most posters here probably weren't even born in '71. So can the fact that poke fans get a little taste of that be a bad thing? :D

PujolsFan
11/26/2012, 01:05 PM
Where was the clip/block in the back on the Cowboy run up the gut for a TD?!?!? Our LB was in position to make the tackle and clearly got blocked f/behind to move him out of the way...

There are many calls or no-calls that happen during a game. Got to play good enough so that those calls don't decide the game. Unless of course we're talking about the screwing we got in Oregon a few years back... :)

Soonerjeepman
11/26/2012, 01:13 PM
saw the BITB on the return as well, but like everyone says...$hit happens...to both teams. OU couldn't stop them in the redzone all game but did when it counted, OT. OSU missed at least 2 tackles on Clay for the TD.

OU won.

LakeRat
11/26/2012, 01:18 PM

Jayden Bird at the 25 yd. line; pretty much the textbook definition of a B.I.T.B. That said, I'm not complaining because like pic 2 of the OP shows, OSU got away w/ a few things as well.

This is not a block in the back. He hits him on the shoulder. It is the same as the punter.

CowboyMRW
11/26/2012, 01:34 PM
This is not a block in the back. He hits him on the shoulder. It is the same as the punter.

Not that it matters, but that is textbook BITB. His head is behind our players shoulder.

But doesn't matter. We had chances and didn't capitalize. OU did. Ballgame

winout
11/26/2012, 01:38 PM

Absolutely not! Their punter just turned his back at the last second in trying to draw one. I'm sure the referee made the linesman, or whomever threw it, pick it up since that was obvious.

badger
11/26/2012, 01:39 PM
On a sidenote, congrats on your basketball pokes being a team on the rise in the polls... we will still beat you this season regardless of where you're ranked now, but congrats nonetheless.

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2012, 01:48 PM
Absolutely not! Their punter just turned his back at the last second in trying to draw one. I'm sure the referee made the linesman, or whomever threw it, pick it up since that was obvious.

^This. It was smart on the punter's part and he almost got the penalty. But the ref that over-ruled it saw what was going on.

badger
11/26/2012, 01:59 PM
That punter might also already be counting his NFL money and didn't want to take a hit lest his kicker draft stock tumble from round 6 to round 7.*

*Round 6 is like the first round for kickers. :stunned:

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2012, 02:12 PM
That punter might also already be counting his NFL money and didn't want to take a hit lest his kicker draft stock tumble from round 6 to round 7.*

*Round 6 is like the first round for kickers. :stunned:

Punters in the NFL need to be good actors too - we've all seen how they appear to have a compound fracture if a rusher brushes them. Turning his back and then sprawling out from that "vicious" block in the back might get him a 5th round grade.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/26/2012, 05:23 PM
Not that it matters, but that is textbook BITB. His head is behind our players shoulder.

But doesn't matter. We had chances and didn't capitalize. OU did. Ballgame

Textbook? This is the rule:

ARTICLE 4.
a. A block in the back is contact against an opponent occurring when the force of the initial contact is from behind and above the waist. When in question, the contact is below the waist (Rule 9-3-3-c) (A.R. 9-3-3-I, -VII and A.R. 10-2-2-XII).
b. The position of the blocker’s head or feet does not necessarily indicate the point of initial contact.

Please note the highlighted part. He is INITIALLY hit on the side and then slides to the rear when the guy crumples. Same thing when Clay pushes the kicker - It STARTS on the side.

Edit: Direct paste from the 2011-12 collegiate rulebook pdf

Jacie
11/26/2012, 05:30 PM

If you truly believe this, you obviously never met a whorn . . .

FaninAma
11/26/2012, 05:31 PM

The reaason why you are wrong and why the officials picked up the flag is becuase when the OU blocker first started to engage the OSU defender the OSU defender was facing upfield toward the north endzone then turned around and started to run the other way. The OU player then pulled up and didn't continue the block.

It was not a block in the back. I don't know about the one further upfield.

Edit: it seems as if this has already been addressed.

8timechamps
11/26/2012, 07:12 PM
Rarely (if ever) does officiating change the outcome of a game. There are always a few exceptions (OU/Oregon), but this was not one of them. I thought the officiating was better than it had been the past few weeks, but I didn't think it was particularly great. There were missed calls for both teams, but that's not unusual.

bluedogok
11/27/2012, 12:13 AM
If you truly believe this, you obviously never met a whorn . . .
I guess not, I only lived in Austin from 2003 to 2012 and had many ex-Whorn co-workers.
In Austin they aren't too bad to deal with, their *******-ness gets bigger the further away from Austin they get. LSU fans in Austin are much worse to deal with.

OU_Sooners75
11/27/2012, 12:29 AM
The biggest problem was that the guy just flopped. What they don't show is that Clay takes his hands off of him and then a 1/2 second later he falls to the ground.

It doesn't matter if he touched him for a nanosecond. The fact is, by rule, if contact is made, then the blocking begins. And when the blocking begins the blockers head is behind the defender. Its a picture perfect block in the back and/or clipping.

redkid
11/27/2012, 01:52 AM
could have went either way,,glad it went our way though

redkid
11/27/2012, 01:56 AM
but I do think that cheapshot helmet to the chin of our db Was thuggish and intentional

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/27/2012, 07:22 AM
It doesn't matter if he touched him for a nanosecond. The fact is, by rule, if contact is made, then the blocking begins. And when the blocking begins the blockers head is behind the defender. Its a picture perfect block in the back and/or clipping.

Did you not read the rule I posted? Specifically part b? His HANDS initiated contact with the SIDE of the kicker. He then pulled his hands back and the kicker went down.

JiminyChristmas
11/27/2012, 07:40 AM
Did you not read the rule I posted? Specifically part b? His HANDS initiated contact with the SIDE of the kicker. He then pulled his hands back and the kicker went down.

The one on their kicker by Clay is not the block in question. It is the one at the beginning of the return by Byrd. Either way though, calls are made and some are missed. This particular one happened with nearly a full quarter left to play. Who's to say what the outcome had been had they called it back. Landry may have thrown an 80 yd TD pass on the next play.

LakeRat
11/27/2012, 11:08 AM
The one on their kicker by Clay is not the block in question. It is the one at the beginning of the return by Byrd. Either way though, calls are made and some are missed. This particular one happened with nearly a full quarter left to play. Who's to say what the outcome had been had they called it back. Landry may have thrown an 80 yd TD pass on the next play.

And the initial contact by Byrd is made on the shoulder, therefore it isn't a block in the back. Let alone "Textbook".

EatLeadCommie
11/27/2012, 11:27 AM

Looks to me like he's coming from the side when he hits him. He's not running up straight behind him. Who was it that laid the wood on that block about one second later?

The block on the other side of the field was one I thought would be whistled, even though their kicker flopped like a chick.

cvsooner
11/27/2012, 12:27 PM
If Bird's is a block in the back, then the block in the back on Colvin on the Randle to Chelf cutesy pass didn't get called either, and that was a big play.

bluedogok
11/27/2012, 02:49 PM
You could call a block in the back on almost any kick/punt return just like you could call holding on any play. I understand the clipping call for safety reasons, I never understood why a block in the back above the waist is a foul but it is.

SoonerLaw09
11/28/2012, 04:01 PM
Poke fans I work with are still grousing about it this afternoon...after I mentioned Nebbish 71, saxeT 84, Oregon 05, and TTech (06?), I asked them if they'd like some cheese with that whine.

They proceeded to tell me that they were not whining, they were just reporting what was said in the newspaper.

mdklatt
11/28/2012, 09:16 PM
They proceeded to tell me that they were not whining, they were just reporting what was said in the newspaper.

Which newspaper? I thought all the newspapers in the state were "goon" homers?

cleller
11/28/2012, 09:23 PM
Poke fans I work with are still grousing about it this afternoon...after I mentioned Nebbish 71, saxeT 84, Oregon 05, and TTech (06?), I asked them if they'd like some cheese with that whine.

Good lord, they are still complaining about a debatable block in the back? They should worry about not tackling a rusher 8 yards from the goal line.

picasso
11/28/2012, 09:34 PM
Which newspaper? I thought all the newspapers in the state were "goon" homers?
Oklahoman Poke circle jerker:

http://newsok.com/ou-punt-return-illegal-block/article/3732241

BoulderSooner79
11/28/2012, 09:55 PM

I don't know the context of your coworkers discussion, but it could be true. Nothing wrong with discussing various aspects of a game including officiating. We do it here all the time and it's not always whining.

Seamus
11/28/2012, 10:23 PM
LOL:

Newsok OsU Analyst Richetti Jones.

SoonerSpock
12/1/2012, 07:24 AM
One needs only remember the Johnny Rogers put return against the Sooners in 1971 when there were multiple clips that were not called to know that no one will pay any attention to the pukes. The media has shown the Rogers return hundreds of times through the years without a single reference to any clips. The same will be true for the pukes defeat this year.

Crimsontothecore
12/1/2012, 09:13 AM
83-17-7 period.

nBoSTP
12/1/2012, 10:45 AM
I know we have our goobers too. The last time I blamed officials for a loss was the Oregon debacle.

So you were okay with the Texas Tech loss where the RB didn't get in and the refs gave him the winning TD anyway? Cuz my memory tells me this was after the Oregon game.

Breadburner
12/1/2012, 10:51 AM
Tech was horrid....Plus the first down play....

OU_Sooners75
12/1/2012, 11:21 AM
You could call a block in the back on almost any kick/punt return just like you could call holding on any play. I understand the clipping call for safety reasons, I never understood why a block in the back above the waist is a foul but it is.

A block behind the back and a clip are essentially the same thing. A clip is below the waist. The block in the back is above the waist.

Clip is 15 yards. The block in the back is 10 yards.

Seamus
12/1/2012, 11:59 AM
83-17-7 period.

That's a whole lot of gooner referee collusion* ...

*Word used only hypothetically. Word represents best word to convey concept. Highly unlikely any poke fan would use, much less know how to spell, word. Average poke vocabulary: 73 words. Terms and conditions apply to use of word.

bluedogok
12/1/2012, 12:09 PM
A block behind the back and a clip are essentially the same thing. A clip is below the waist. The block in the back is above the waist.

Clip is 15 yards. The block in the back is 10 yards.
I know what they are, they are different, if they weren't then there wouldn't be a two different penalties called there. Like I said, I can understand a clip because of the potential for injury to the legs but a block in the back above the waist has little chance to injure compared to a clip or something like a cut block.

Salt City Sooner
12/1/2012, 12:45 PM
So you were okay with the Texas Tech loss where the RB didn't get in and the refs gave him the winning TD anyway? Cuz my memory tells me this was after the Oregon game.
Might want to get a checkup then. Tech was in '05, Oregon was '06.

goingoneight
12/1/2012, 01:33 PM
The best part of their "argument" is they get to avoid all of the bad calls that went their way.

cleller
12/1/2012, 04:01 PM
I'm assuming the ref's in Waco are responsible today, too.

mdklatt
12/1/2012, 04:03 PM
I'm assuming the ref's in Waco are responsible today, too.

No doubt. Must've been the same crew that was in Norman last week.