PDA

View Full Version : Chizik fired at Auburn

BudSooner
11/25/2012, 02:25 PM
Coach Briles, there is a phone call on line 1.....

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2012/11/25/2289496/report-auburn-fires-gene-chizik.html

BudSooner
11/25/2012, 02:27 PM
On a side note, you think Auburn would take a chance and hire "Evil Knievel" Petrino?

Curly Bill
11/25/2012, 02:32 PM
On a side note, you think Auburn would take a chance and hire "Evil Knievel" Petrino?

NO!

BB37
11/25/2012, 02:35 PM
I'll bet that guy who boo'ed him so mercilessly at the airport a few years ago is happy now.

BudSooner
11/25/2012, 02:36 PM
Ya gotta admit, it would make for a great halftime show with the jumps and all.

"Hold my beer and watch this....."

Widescreen
11/25/2012, 02:59 PM
2 years removed from a national championship. I doubt that's ever happened before outside of some scandal.

SicEmBaylor
11/25/2012, 03:04 PM
Coach Briles, there is a phone call on line 1.....

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2012/11/25/2289496/report-auburn-fires-gene-chizik.html
Don't say that...not even joking.

olevetonahill
11/25/2012, 03:11 PM
Don't say that...not even joking.

He wernt jokin.

sooneron
11/25/2012, 03:17 PM
Candidates imo-
Peterson
Strong
Briles
Gundy

that's the start of my list...

TanTanFeil
11/25/2012, 03:38 PM
Candidates imo-
Peterson
Strong
Briles
Gundy

I'm still having a hard time believing that Gundy will leave OSU.

SicEmBaylor
11/25/2012, 03:39 PM
Gundy has been pretty emphatic that he has no desire or interest to ever leave OSU under any circumstance and that OSU is his 'dream job.'

Gundy will only leave OSU if he's fired or retires.

fadada1
11/25/2012, 03:44 PM
Gundy has been pretty emphatic that he has no desire or interest to ever leave OSU under any circumstance and that OSU is his 'dream job.'

sounds more like a nightmare.

bluedogok
11/25/2012, 03:47 PM
They tried to when Tuberville was the coach and Petrino was at Louisville.

I think Briles will get a lot of calls from the big dogs as long as he is at Baylor.

JiminyChristmas
11/25/2012, 03:50 PM
Auburn is definitely crazy enough to hire Petrino.

mdklatt
11/25/2012, 04:09 PM
Candidates imo-
Peterson
Strong
Briles
Gundy

Think they'd be willing to give another Iowa State head coach a try?

Paul Rhodes > Gene Chizik

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/25/2012, 04:25 PM
I see this as an golden opportunity for the Whorns. Mack's replacement is available!

jk the sooner fan
11/25/2012, 04:33 PM
2 years removed from a national championship. I doubt that's ever happened before outside of some scandal.

Solich coached in a National Championship game 2 years before he was fired by the Huskers....

9 wins just wont get it done

misplaced_sooner
11/25/2012, 04:36 PM
Chizik could be the worst head coach to ever win a National Championship. He was ****ty at Iowa State and ****ty at Auburn. Cam Newton is the reason they won the NC not Chizik. Hell, Iowa State got BETTER when he left.

bluedogok
11/25/2012, 04:40 PM
Solich coached in a National Championship game 2 years before he was fired by the Huskers....

9 wins just wont get it done
Switzer got fired one year after 88 Orange Bowl game against Miami, but for other reasons. He was still fired no matter how Swank wanted to spin it. Coker wasn't too far removed from a championship game at Miami when he was fired.

rtjordan2242
11/25/2012, 04:40 PM
whats the chance of finding tickets at the tcu game

mdklatt
11/25/2012, 04:41 PM
whats the chance of finding tickets at the tcu game

Auburn tickets? Pretty low. :confused:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/25/2012, 04:46 PM
Auburn is definitely crazy enough to hire Petrino.He will be somewhere far down the line of candidates.

jk the sooner fan
11/25/2012, 04:47 PM
re: Petrino - think Mike Price

Petrino will have to spend some time at a place like UTEP to rehabilitate himself

Auburn can do better than that and they will

bluedogok
11/25/2012, 04:48 PM
He will be somewhere far down the line of candidates.
I think Petrino will have to do something like the Mike Price redemption tour to get back to a top program, he has more years left than Price did at the time of his "indiscretion".

jk the sooner fan
11/25/2012, 04:50 PM
Gus Malzahn might be near the top of their list

bluedogok
11/25/2012, 04:52 PM
or Chad Morris if they go the assistant route.

11/25/2012, 04:52 PM
I see this as an golden opportunity for the Whorns. Mack's replacement is available!That might, indeed, be a great move for the whorns. Chizik was once one of their HC'sIW, wasn't he? NOW is the time for action, whorns and tigers/plainsmen/war eagle.

bluedogok
11/25/2012, 04:55 PM
Chizik was the DC and Associate Head Coach at UT in 2005.

Widescreen
11/25/2012, 05:03 PM
Stoops to Auburn?

tycat947
11/25/2012, 05:10 PM
Auburn is definitely crazy enough to hire Petrino.

Exactly! Auburn has had their share of snakes and would have no problem trying to hire Petrino.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/25/2012, 06:13 PM
That might, indeed, be a great move for the whorns. Chizik was once one of their HC'sIW, wasn't he? NOW is the time for action, whorns and tigers/plainsmen/war eagle.

Can we start a petition? Get things rolling a bit?

Spray
11/25/2012, 06:43 PM
You may be joking, Widescreen, but I had both an Auburn fan and a Tennessee fan text me last night that Bob Stoops was in the top 3 on their AD's list because "the word is Bob Stoops is unhappy in Norman, partially because of the fanbase".

Widescreen
11/25/2012, 06:47 PM
You may be joking, Widescreen, but I had both an Auburn fan and a Tennessee fan text me last night that Bob Stoops was in the top 3 on their AD's list because "the word is Bob Stoops is unhappy in Norman, partially because of the fanbase".

Well, if anything would know, it'd be "the word".

Spray
11/25/2012, 06:51 PM
Well, if anything would know, it'd be "the word".

No ****. Gave me good chuckle, but the Tennessee fanbase in particular is pretty fired up about Stoops if they don't get Gruden.

Who knows- stranger things have happened, but I hope that's a simple talk radio rumor.

jk the sooner fan
11/25/2012, 06:59 PM
that makes perfect sense - that Stoops would leave a virtual "kingdom" to go to Knoxville and "rebuild a program facing possible more sanctions"

yes, brilliant.....sheesh

bluedogok
11/25/2012, 07:04 PM
that makes perfect sense - that Stoops would leave a virtual "kingdom" to go to Knoxville and "rebuild a program facing possible more sanctions"

yes, brilliant.....sheesh
...but...but...WE'RE TENNESSEE!!!

Sound familiar?

Sabanball
11/25/2012, 07:16 PM
One crazy barn fan said they would be interested in Mike Stoops. I told him that you guys would probably be willing to pay for the moving costs.;)

goingoneight
11/25/2012, 07:18 PM
Stoops isn't unhappy with the fan base. He just doesn't like stupid people telling him how to do his job. No matter the difference in careers or pay scale, I completely sympathize with him there. No matter where a coach goes, he will be subject to idiotic reporters, supposed "experts" and fans who don't know a single wing formation from a Kotex.

Case in point: listen to the reporters in Tuscaloosa anytime Alabama loses and watch Nick Saban go all Gundy on them.

goingoneight
11/25/2012, 07:20 PM
One crazy barn fan said they would be interested in Mike Stoops. I told him that you guys would probably be willing to pay for the moving costs.;)

Mike is still nursing the "Brent Venables' recruits" excuse in our angry fanbase's eyes. If we lose to Notre Dame next year, they'll slowly start firing up their torches and dusting off their pitchforks.

badger
11/25/2012, 10:02 PM
Well since the internet is the place to start rumors, heres some b.s. (bulls---) on b.s. (bob stoops) to circulate:

Bob stoops wants out of norman. He may have school age children, a big house and a bigger contract, but he will leave for the right opening at the right price.

There is a reason why ou has to keep giving him pay raises despite not winning a national title since 2000, a heisman since 2008 nor a big 12 title sinve 2010. It's because bob is always entertaining offers to leave norman and money is the ONLY thing stopping him.

Stoops may not be able to top saban and mack brown in salary, but come close in a high caliber (i.e. sec) program and bob will take it and leave norman. The price just has to be right.

So yeah, go ahead and circulate that if ya want to get people riled up. its utter b.s. then again, well probably give him anothe damn pay raise again

fadada1
11/25/2012, 10:06 PM
Stoops to Auburn?
where'd you get this information??? do you have a percentage of likelihood???

badger
11/25/2012, 10:08 PM
Stoops will give auburn 110 percent. Hid auburn salary will make him among "the one percent."

#stoopswilloccupyauburn

SicEmBaylor
11/25/2012, 10:13 PM
where'd you get this information??? do you have a percentage of likelihood???

I'd put the odds of him going to Auburn somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,000,000,000,000,000,000:1

http://static.cdn-seekingalpha.com/uploads/2012/10/17/saupload_lloyd-300x300.jpg

fadada1
11/25/2012, 10:13 PM
saban to auburn...
stoops to bama...
gundy to arky...
pat jones back to osu...
mack stays put... continues to underachieve with top 5 recruiting classes.

goingoneight
11/25/2012, 10:21 PM
You know what would be cool? Is if your school had to honor a three-year contract for each coaching staff hired. Also, a salary cap for HCs and assistants. These coaches are going to be making in the ten million range within a few years if nothing's done about it. University powers-that-be are so hungry for football success that they sacrifice too much anymore just to make hope spring eternal every two years or so. I mean, look at Bobby Bowden. No way he'd go that long at FSU in today's world without producing an MNC. Everyone wants the Bob Stoops model... which is to come in and right the ship in year one and play for MNCs every year after that. The BCS is largely to blame for that in some cases (Tuberville might still be at Auburn if he played and beat SUC).

badger
11/25/2012, 10:21 PM
Stoops aapplied for auburn job when he read description:

Do you have an undefeated season? Want to recruit against Nick Saban and love when the NCAA is breathing down your neck? Auburn wants to fire YOU next!

Johnny Utah
11/25/2012, 10:28 PM

It's been years (actually decades) since I've attended a game in Norman, so my only perspective is from watching on the "widescreen". However, there appears to be a huge difference in level of crowd noise and participation at OU games vs SEC games. It might be as simple as the quality of the broadcast, but from the perspective of the viewer, the SEC crowd is more than into it from start to finish while the OU crowd is easily taken out of the game.

11/25/2012, 10:39 PM
One crazy barn fan said they would be interested in Mike Stoops. I told him that you guys would probably be willing to pay for the moving costs.;)We'll be the first to let you know when we want coaching changes.

soonervegas
11/25/2012, 10:39 PM
This firing tells me that every level at Auburn knows they cheated their asses off for that title.

JiminyChristmas
11/25/2012, 10:41 PM

It's been years (actually decades) since I've attended a game in Norman, so my only perspective is from watching on the "widescreen". However, there appears to be a huge difference in level of crowd noise and participation at OU games vs SEC games. It might be as simple as the quality of the broadcast, but from the perspective of the viewer, the SEC crowd is more than into it from start to finish while the OU crowd is easily taken out of the game.

It's just the way CBS pipes in the crowd noise to the broadcast. They are equal given the right games.

Of the 3 SEC jobs available, you'd have to say:

1) Tennessee
2) Arkansas
3) Auburn

Auburn is a distant 3rd at that. What are their selling points?....oh yeah, come be little brother to Bama and we just fired a coach 2 years removed from a national title. There are also these pesky NCAA folks nosing around, but don't mind them none.

This job has Petrino written all over it. No big name coach with options would touch it.

As for Tennessee, Gundy will be a factor. Maybe just as monetary leverage against T Boone, but I think he will give it a look.

Arkansas really wants Gruden, but it ain't happening. Art Briles could sneak into this one. If so, Monken to Baylor?

One last way out there guess, Chip Kelley to Texas when Mack is done. He already recruits really well in the state and Texas will be just arrogant enough to outbid Nike.

Sooner70
11/25/2012, 10:58 PM
That Alabama-Auburn thing is more than rivalry. It's a deep seated hate thing, I think. May be worse than OU-Texas because its within same state,and it seems far more ingrained than the (former) Texas-aTm rivalry. Worked with a guy from Auburn, and he seemed normal till he started talking about Alabama.

All said, sorta surprises me they'd can the guy 2 years after a NC, but they more than hate losing to Bama, esp that badly.

Wonder if Mike Price can ever get back into this venue?

Johnny Utah
11/25/2012, 11:15 PM
It's just the way CBS pipes in the crowd noise to the broadcast. They are equal given the right games.

Of the 3 SEC jobs available, you'd have to say:

1) Tennessee
2) Arkansas
3) Auburn

Auburn is a distant 3rd at that. What are their selling points?....oh yeah, come be little brother to Bama and we just fired a coach 2 years removed from a national title. There are also these pesky NCAA folks nosing around, but don't mind them none.

This job has Petrino written all over it. No big name coach with options would touch it.

As for Tennessee, Gundy will be a factor. Maybe just as monetary leverage against T Boone, but I think he will give it a look.

Arkansas really wants Gruden, but it ain't happening. Art Briles could sneak into this one. If so, Monken to Baylor?

One last way out there guess, Chip Kelley to Texas when Mack is done. He already recruits really well in the state and Texas will be just arrogant enough to outbid Nike.

That's what I thought about the broadcast but wasn't 100% sure based on recent SEC success. I don't know why Gruden would leave his cushy gig at ESPN to return to the pressure cooker of coaching, especially in the SEC. I could only see him going to a huge program.

bluedogok
11/25/2012, 11:27 PM
Wonder if Mike Price can ever get back into this venue?
Price just retired from UTEP, probably out of the profession and retired for good.

VA Sooner
11/26/2012, 12:07 AM
Just don't let Petrino buy another Harley and Auburn can take the chance. They took a big one hiring Chizik who had a 50% winning record at Iowa State before leaving them. He got lucky in getting Cam Newton (at a small cost...) that propelled them to a national championship but the team has fallen apart since with lots of near losses last year and lots of losses (and blowouts this year) in spite of a great recruiting class.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2012, 09:19 AM
maybe a chance that Chizik ends up back at texas DC now..

PrideMom
11/26/2012, 09:36 AM
I guess the backers that paid for Cam Newton, couldn't come up with any more money for better players......

badger
11/26/2012, 09:42 AM
I guess the backers that paid for Cam Newton, couldn't come up with any more money for better players......

they're the ones that have to pony up the $7.5 mil to oust Cheese-It, because at Auburn: REAL CHEESE MATTERS :P

picasso
11/26/2012, 10:10 AM

Actually he said it's his New York Yankees job, which mean he plans on getting fired at least 3 times.

SoonerNomad
11/26/2012, 10:41 AM
Could Chizik coach up the talent on our defense?

badger
11/26/2012, 10:45 AM
Could Chizik coach up the talent on our defense?

I don't know... being around all of that SEC speed may have filled his eyes with that double vision :eek:

thecrimsoncrusader
11/26/2012, 11:02 AM
Chizik was a product of the Big 12 sucking in 2005. The two best teams after Texas that season was Oklahoma and Nebraska who were whopping 8 win teams that season. That was one of the weakest Big 12 Conference years in its history. Color me not impressed.

badger
11/26/2012, 11:27 AM
Soooo... who does Awww-bourbon go after next?

Tommy Tuberville: OK at Tech, but fired him after he went undefeated for them in 2004.
Paul Rhodes: When ISU shipped them Chizik, Auburn shipped ISU Rhodes. Time to return the favor?
Turner Gill: Charles Barkley threw a fit when they didn't hire him out of Beefalo. Is it time to appease Sir Charles, or at least throw him a bone by considering another black candidate (Louisville's Charlie Strong, Texas A&M's Kevin Sumlin, a number of NFL coaches, or perhaps an ex-college coach like former Warsh/ND coach Tyrone Willingham?)

I don't see them getting a choice candidate without coughing up a salary near-equal to Nick Saban's. Even then, those choice candidates would probably get about the same money elsewhere with all of these openings we're seeing.

goingoneight
11/26/2012, 11:43 AM
Chizik's recipe for success? Bring in a bunch of good offenses, buy a few superstar players, bend the rules of discipline and catch your rival on a rebuilding year.

Remember when all of our angry fans thought he was better than Stoops? My, how time, yet again shows otherwise.

Breadburner
11/26/2012, 11:56 AM
Turner Gill is not a good coach.....

winout
11/26/2012, 01:26 PM
Bet Todd Graham and Rich Rod wished they had set out a year for one of these openings.

badger
11/26/2012, 01:30 PM
Bet Todd Graham and Rich Rod wished they had set out a year for one of these openings.

Rich Rod needs to re-establish himself, but I doubt "D00shebag" Todd Graham even owns a house at his coaching stops anymore... hell, he probably just stays in a hotel a la Dana Holgorsen in Stillwater.

So yeah, definitely put Todd Graham at the top of these SEC coaching opening lists.

winout
11/26/2012, 01:39 PM
What's the story on Todd Graham? I'm out of the loop here in the NW.

fadada1
11/26/2012, 07:40 PM

go to an sec game... we're as loud as they are. OU/texas is louder than any UF game i attended.

badger
11/26/2012, 09:23 PM
What's the story on Todd Graham? I'm out of the loop here in the NW.

The reason i call todd graham d@@shebag is because rice band (its a scatter mae-fun-of-ya band similar to stanford but more clever) did it first.

Todd graham was at rice, saying he'd never leave and loved it there... till he left for tulsa (a fellow c-usa school, hence the rice band show).

Then, after pitt had a coach replace wann-stache for all of like A MONTH or so... pitt hired todd graham.

And then ONE SEASON later, todd abandons pitt for arizona state.

In a nutshell, todd graham BY HIS CHOOSING, has coached at three schools in the past three seasons. HEAD coaching jobs mind you, ALL d-1, all fairly good bowl-bound programs.

Long post short, as rice band once said, TODD GRAHAM IS A D@@OSHEBAG.

Sabanball
11/26/2012, 10:01 PM
I think they HAVE to take a long, hard look at Petrino.

Scott D
11/27/2012, 11:09 AM

that's because we've already got a handshake deal in place with Kirby Smart

badger
11/27/2012, 11:14 AM
I think they HAVE to take a long, hard look at Petrino.

Pros:
Wins football games

Cons:
Wait... who cares about cons?! We're in the SEC, does anyone care about anything except winning football games?

I'm sure you Bammers would laugh at your little brother if they fell for Patrino's garbage like Louisville and Atlanta and Arky did, but this time around, could you PLEASE control your little sibling and NOT allow them to cheat their way to the Heisman/SEC/National titles? Please?

Scott D
11/27/2012, 11:14 AM
Pros:
Wins football games

Cons:
Wait... who cares about cons?! We're in the SEC, does anyone care about anything except winning football games?

I'm sure you Bammers would laugh at your little brother if they fell for Patrino's garbage like Louisville and Atlanta and Arky did, but this time around, could you PLEASE control your little sibling and NOT allow them to cheat their way to the Heisman/SEC/National titles? Please?

Hah getting Auburn to not cheat is like getting SicEm to not pine for the days when there was a CSA.

badger
11/27/2012, 11:23 AM
Hah getting Auburn to not cheat is like getting SicEm to not pine for the days when there was a CSA.

I pine for those days too. That would mean that the SEC would be all by itself in its own country and the rest of us would have a chance at a national championship again :(

Tear Down This Wall
11/27/2012, 11:24 AM
maybe a chance that Chizik ends up back at texas DC now..

That's the first thing I thought. Nightmare. We were 1-4 versus Chizik and Muschamp during their DC stints at Texas. The last thing we need is for Dodds and Mack to pull their heads out of their asses vis-a-vis their Boise State OC and Middle Tennesse DC hires.

Please, please, Texas...beat K-State and have a great defensive showing. Please win 4-0...a safety in each half.

Scott D
11/27/2012, 11:24 AM
I pine for those days too. That would mean that the SEC would be all by itself in its own country and the rest of us would have a chance at a national championship again :(

I'm a firm believer that their cycle is nearly done just as how the Big-12 dominated the scene in the early part of the century.

badger
11/27/2012, 11:25 AM
Please, please, Texas...beat K-State and have a great defensive showing. Please win 4-0...a safety in each half.

They have been showing non-stop repeats of the TCU/whorn game all week on Longhorn Network (we get ATT Uverse, otherwise I wouldn't know or care). Would they finally say "eff it" if it was a 4-0 game that wasn't baseball?

SicEmBaylor
11/27/2012, 06:30 PM

Eh...except UT, Tech, Baylor, Aggie, and likely both OU and OSU would also be right there with them. ;) Although, actually, that'd probably be "SU" and "SSU" now that I think of it.

BudSooner
11/27/2012, 07:52 PM
The reason i call todd graham d@@shebag is because rice band (its a scatter mae-fun-of-ya band similar to stanford but more clever) did it first.

Todd graham was at rice, saying he'd never leave and loved it there... till he left for tulsa (a fellow c-usa school, hence the rice band show).

Then, after pitt had a coach replace wann-stache for all of like A MONTH or so... pitt hired todd graham.

And then ONE SEASON later, todd abandons pitt for arizona state.

In a nutshell, todd graham BY HIS CHOOSING, has coached at three schools in the past three seasons. HEAD coaching jobs mind you, ALL d-1, all fairly good bowl-bound programs.

Long post short, as rice band once said, TODD GRAHAM IS A D@@OSHEBAG.Any school that hires Graham deserves to be left holding the bag, one look at his resume is enough to warrant a big **** you to the Toddster....he's no ******..he's a MEGA ******.

8timechamps
11/27/2012, 08:01 PM
I'm thinking more and more that it's going to be Petrino.

goingoneight
11/27/2012, 09:29 PM
Todd Graham = The Premature Evacuator

thecrimsoncrusader
11/29/2012, 08:18 AM
That's the first thing I thought. Nightmare. We were 1-4 versus Chizik and Muschamp during their DC stints at Texas. The last thing we need is for Dodds and Mack to pull their heads out of their asses vis-a-vis their Boise State OC and Middle Tennesse DC hires.

Sans 2008, OU lost to a number of other teams on those years that Texas beat OU. It had zero to do with their defensive coordinators, it had to do with Oklahoma not being very good by Oklahoma's standards.

Bourbon St Sooner
11/29/2012, 09:08 AM
Soooo... who does Awww-bourbon go after next?

Hey, leave me out of this. I prefer not to be associated with any barners.