PDA

View Full Version : It's early but have you looked at the recruiting rankings (as per Rivals)?

Jacie
11/25/2012, 01:35 PM
Nothing unusual about the Top 10, though A&M has replaced sa*et there (whorns are #11) but what is somewhat of a concern is Oklahoma at #33 and look at some teams ahead of the Sooners:

#17 Vanderbilt

#22 Illinois

#24 Baylor

#27 Oklahoma State

One reason OU is so low is that Rivals shows only 12 commits so far, the others mentioned have more.

I guess OUr staff will finish strong then . . .

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/25/2012, 02:16 PM
Nothing unusual about the Top 10, though A&M has replaced sa*et there (whorns are #11) but what is somewhat of a concern is Oklahoma at #33 and look at some teams ahead of the Sooners:

#17 Vanderbilt

#22 Illinois

#24 Baylor

#27 Oklahoma State

One reason OU is so low is that Rivals shows only 12 commits so far, the others mentioned have more.

I guess OUr staff will finish strong then . . .We started out good, with several 4-star guys, then only one since then, and another decommitted. Beating the orange aggy should help, though we are going to HAVE TO improve on defense in our last 2 games.

SoonerInFortSmith
11/25/2012, 02:30 PM
If you look at the average rating of current commitments OU is in the top ten. Just don't have as many commits as the others. I think I was on scout tho

soonerdo
11/25/2012, 02:30 PM
Recruiting slows sometimes once the coaching staff gets a bit older.

OU_Sooners75
11/25/2012, 11:38 PM
Recruiting for OU always slows way down during the long non break of the season. After the TCU game and especially the bowl game, the recruiting will really pick up. It always does.

That said, OU finally offered Evans of Norman this weekend. I would be very surprised if he doesn't commit sometime before the TCU game.

picasso
11/26/2012, 12:39 AM
Lord folks, we nearly always finish strong.

8timechamps
11/26/2012, 05:09 PM
Lord folks, we nearly always finish strong.

THIS!

Nothing new here. OU is notoriously one of the slowest schools in football recruiting. There are quiet a few highly rated recruits that will end up signing with OU, and the ranking will move up. I still argue that recruiting rankings are worthless. They don't take into account what a team needs. They only account for the number of 4/5 star recruits a team signs. And that's always very subjective.

landrun
12/6/2012, 07:47 PM
... I still argue that recruiting rankings are worthless. They don't take into account what a team needs.

^^^ The battle cry of schools with sorry recruiting classes.

You guys can say what you want, but his class is UGLY bad. ... and getting worse.

What this team needs is DTs and LBs. We have ZERO DTs and the LBs are average to below average.

I think we're lying to ourselves if we say we're excited about this class.

landrun
12/6/2012, 07:55 PM
Oh.... and as for finishing strong, with who?

There are now zero four or five start DTs interested in OU. A total of one 4 start OLB still interested and Zero ILBs.

How are you going to finish strong unless you claim landing 2 and 3 star recruits the last month of recruiting is 'strong'.

LiveLaughLove
12/6/2012, 08:09 PM
Without major major help in the OL and DL who cares what we finish in recruiting rankings.

8timechamps
12/6/2012, 09:02 PM

There are now zero four or five start DTs interested in OU. A total of one 4 start OLB still interested and Zero ILBs.

How are you going to finish strong unless you claim landing 2 and 3 star recruits the last month of recruiting is 'strong'.

I'm not trying to knock you, but if you don't know who is really interested, then your statement is baseless.

There are far more needs than DT (although I know it's one of the biggest). If you look on this board, you'll see a post about the DT prospects, and believe it, or not...Manning wasn't the only guy that had interest in OU.

I can't believe anyone would think that not landing one kid makes this class "ugly". There are about 100 other schools that would die to have this "ugly" class.

Ground_Attack
12/6/2012, 10:07 PM
A&M has 33 commitments? They've really adjusted to the SEC and fit right in!!!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/7/2012, 11:03 AM
^^^ The battle cry of schools with sorry recruiting classes.

You guys can say what you want, but his class is UGLY bad. ... and getting worse.

What this team needs is DTs and LBs. We have ZERO DTs and the LBs are average to below average.

I think we're lying to ourselves if we say we're excited about this class.

Did you know that our 2000 recruiting class was ranked #21 until we landed the crown jewel of the class Jamar Mozee? That pushed it to #15.

Did you know that our 1999 recruiting class was ranked #35?

Did you know that our 1998 recruiting class was ranked #18?

Do you want to know how many All Americans we had in those classes?

The 2002 class (http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/commitments/2002) was ranked at 5 I believe, it netted us what 1 AA?

or the 2003 class (http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/commitments/2003) that was ranked top 10 and netted us 1 All big 12 player

I don't know if you have noticed, but the best players in our conference right now are not the guys that are highest on the recruiting services lists.

Always_Sooner
12/7/2012, 11:32 AM
Justin Blackmon was a 3 star that OU didn't even offer. OU offered DJ Grant instead, and if you look at Jalen Saunders arguably the best WR on our team he was a 2 star out of high school.

Rankings are what they are, but it should be about utilizing a players strengths to a scheme or a system.

Soonerjeepman
12/7/2012, 11:39 AM
and if you look at Jalen Saunders arguably the best WR on our team he was a 2 star out of high school.

was...for this season as of now.

picasso
12/7/2012, 05:51 PM

I'm simply going off the history of this staff since 1999. It's a pretty easy guide.

pappy
12/7/2012, 06:31 PM
JJ Watt is arguably the def mvp in nfl this year was a 2 star recruit.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/8/2012, 12:58 PM
JJ Watt is arguably the def mvp in nfl this year was a 2 star recruit.

heh, we offered Wes Welker a spot as a walkon...