PDA

View Full Version : Strange Bedfellows. Sooners rooting for ND or SUC, SEC benefits from a tattoo.

Rogue
11/25/2012, 11:26 AM
Gah! If it's not hard enough to live in SEC country, now I have to listen to these parochial homers that have as much allegiance to a conference (which changes every few years) as they do to their school (which they may or may not have attended) crow about the great SEC. I'm going to remind them often that the SEC would be on the outside looking in if the Buckeyes weren't on probation this year. Ironically, I will be making a point to several men who are wearing sweater vests. Could you ever imagine a Buckeye cheering for Michigan or Iowa in a bowl game because they are members of a conference? Have you ever heard them chant "Big 10, Big 10?" Dammit.

This year SEC fans who aren't fans of the SEC champ should chant "Terrelle Pryor's tattoo...Terrelle Pryor's tattoo" instead.

picasso
11/25/2012, 11:44 AM
Haha! Interesting point!

Sabanball
11/25/2012, 12:52 PM
Gah! If it's not hard enough to live in SEC country, now I have to listen to these parochial homers that have as much allegiance to a conference (which changes every few years) as they do to their school (which they may or may not have attended) crow about the great SEC. I'm going to remind them often that the SEC would be on the outside looking in if the Buckeyes weren't on probation this year. Ironically, I will be making a point to several men who are wearing sweater vests. Could you ever imagine a Buckeye cheering for Michigan or Iowa in a bowl game because they are members of a conference? Have you ever heard them chant "Big 10, Big 10?" Dammit.

This year SEC fans who aren't fans of the SEC champ should chant "Terrelle Pryor's tattoo...Terrelle Pryor's tattoo" instead.

Yup, and if Colt hadn't got hurt.....

goingoneight
11/25/2012, 01:08 PM
For all those who call Landry a choke artist, need I remind them and the SEC haters what Kansas State and Oregon did last week?

Jacie
11/25/2012, 01:15 PM
Inspite of the sarcasm dripping from your post, Saban, there is truth behind the statement. The fortunes of football teams often hinge upon the smallest of things, an injury here, an improper benefit there. No one here suggests that the teams to play for the BCS have not been worthy, only that a certain conference has benefitted from an unusual string of events (when viewed as a whole in hindsight). I am not suggesting that the ESPiN lovefest for certain conferences and/or teams has led to self-fulfilling prophecies. But the rest of us do get tired of hearing about certain conferences/teams ad nauseum such that even a team many Sooners loathe being in the BCS is nice for a change.

JohnnyMack
11/25/2012, 01:19 PM
Yeah but if it hadn't been for the tattoo scandal, Tressel likely isn't fired so you know he'd **** it up at least once during the regular season.

Rogue
11/25/2012, 01:29 PM
It's the SEC parochialism that gets me. I root for a few teams, but not for any conference.

Johnny Utah
11/25/2012, 06:16 PM
I lived in the Atlanta area for 12 years which included the OU vs LSU MNC game in NO. It was at that time that I got a taste of the "SEC SEC SEC" parochialism (good description) that permeated even upper middle class suburban areas. At that time I thought their would be no way I'd be rooting for other Big 12 teams based on conference affiliation, but have now found myself in that same mindset. Bottom line is that the media, marketing, and PR behind the SEC hype is too big to fight, so the SEC needs to be beaten on the field ... even if it is by Notre Dame.

PalmBeachSooner
11/25/2012, 06:24 PM
I'll root for a Big XII team in bowl games, but during the regular season they can all eat poop and expire.

Curly Bill
11/25/2012, 06:39 PM
I'm not rooting for the domers or USuC either one. If its Alabama and the domers in the NC game, then I say: Go Bama!

...and I too hate the conference incest practiced by SEC fans, but I REALLY HATE the domers!!

Johnny Utah
11/25/2012, 06:52 PM
I'll root for a Big XII team in bowl games, but during the regular season they can all eat poop and expire.

I root for Big 12 teams in OOC games ... like it or not I think recruits are paying attention to this conference-allegiance and want to play for the top conference(s).