PDA

View Full Version : Defense (again) wins championships

Indy Sooner
11/25/2012, 10:49 AM
OU in 2000, ND or Bama this year, et al.

Hope more emphasis is placed on that side of the ball going forward during recruiting and an associated good fortune is experienced with the talent that is brought in. The proper coaching/schemes would then complete the equation and place OU in a better chance to again compete for NCs.

Breadburner
11/25/2012, 10:52 AM
OMG...Another...Bain him puhhhhleeeezzz....!!!!

OU_Sooners75
11/25/2012, 10:58 AM
Indy, maybe you should follow recruiting.

The defensive pieces are coming together. It just may be a year or two more before they are truly felt.

Now, we need some top notch OL!

kevpks
11/25/2012, 11:00 AM
Give Mike time. Despite the ugly stats the past few weeks, this defense is better than last year. We're not great, but better on D, especially in the secondary.

FaninAma
11/25/2012, 11:05 AM
Defense? What defense? We don't need no stinkin' defense!

These 50-49 wins are great!

Indy Sooner
11/25/2012, 11:15 AM
Indy, maybe you should follow recruiting.

The defensive pieces are coming together. It just may be a year or two more before they are truly felt.

I hope you're correct about the pieces coming together...it's time to ring up another NC.

picasso
11/25/2012, 11:15 AM
Our defense carried us in the 2nd half of the 2000 season. I'm pretty sure our offense got us out of some tight spots a time or two that year.

OU_Sooners75
11/25/2012, 11:20 AM
I hope you're correct about the pieces coming together...it's time to ring up another NC.

It is. But then again its recruiting, so its not exact science.

Indy Sooner
11/25/2012, 11:23 AM

Yep. And the coaching piece is large as well, otherwise Mack would have won two or three more based on his annual talent grab.

Indy Sooner
11/25/2012, 11:24 AM

Yep. And the coaching piece is large as well, otherwise Mack would have won two or three more based on his annual talent grab.

OU_Sooners75
11/25/2012, 11:53 AM
Yes the coaching is probably the biggest aspect of it.

That's why the core of coaches OU has is very good. Just some that need replaced. But that's for a different conversation.

goingoneight
11/25/2012, 02:36 PM
How well did that mantra work out in 2010?

Soonermagik
11/25/2012, 03:25 PM
Agreed! The reason the SEC has been so good in title games is due to good defense, especially the front 7. Their ability to get pressure and stop the run to make you one dimensional. Most have a solid run game, too.

StoopTroup
11/25/2012, 03:53 PM
It's no huge news that we are thin on the O-line. What I think is funny is the idea that we really need to put the pieces together. After seeing our Offense post some pretty impressive stats the last 4 games and put up W's, I can understand someone talking about a let down on certain plays but the overall Big Picture is that our O-Line has out performed all expectations and guys have stepped up when most Fans figured we were screwed.

I have to give it up to the Coaching Staff and the Players for what they have done this year and especially what they have done in every game except the two losses. I'm not hanging those losses on them either...as I still think we could have beat K-State and ND. Those games were very tough losses.

I'm really happy for all the Seniors who played for the W in their last Game at Home in a Sooner Jersey.

BOOMER SOONER ! ! !

bluedogok
11/25/2012, 04:46 PM
Luck in injuries, lack of penalties, turnovers, etc. play a huge factor in winning it all, you have to have a bunch of that in addition to being a great team to win it all. Look at how many times the ball bounced ND's was or call did go there way this season. It requires a lot of things falling into place.

winout
11/26/2012, 12:34 AM
Get to their qb, protect your qb. It is that simple. Not easy, but simple.