PDA

View Full Version : Blake Bell... a stronger... faster Tebow?

Soonermagik
11/24/2012, 08:31 PM
Heck, he may have a better arm.. ability to shed tackles and plays with as much fire as Tebow did. I'm ready to see the end of the LJ era. OU hasn't had a true mobile QB in years and the game has evolved to that style. Think of Vince Young, Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, RG3 etc... It just puts so much pressure on a defense and it's the extra added dimension that wins so many games. If Blake Bell can limit his mistakes and hit his throws he may be in the same category as the guys above. In short, I'm not excited about the defense, but man am I excited for the Bell era.

winout
11/24/2012, 08:34 PM
me2.

SoonerMarkVA
11/24/2012, 08:37 PM
Yeah, I am definitely ready to see what Bell can do leading the team and to send LJ to the NFL with all the OU records in the books.. As Bell's last pass showed, he has some work to gain composure in the pressure of a game situation. However, if he can get the passing game worked out I see him, as you mention, as a Tebow with more upside than Tebow--perhaps even a lot more upside.

Breadburner
11/24/2012, 08:39 PM
Who says its going to be Bell.....???

fadada1
11/24/2012, 08:41 PM
straight to hell... the whole lot of you.

:friendly_wink:

BlownGP
11/24/2012, 08:44 PM
He looks good no doubt, has a arm and with the way he runs. It's going to hard not to get a first down.

JiminyChristmas
11/24/2012, 08:47 PM
Supposedly Kendall Thompson is going to be pushing him pretty closely for the job.

LawtonBoy74
11/24/2012, 10:02 PM
I hear the freshman is pretty good too!! I'd be surprised if Blake isn't the starter, but lets not forget about Drew Allen... isn't he a junior???

OUInformant
11/24/2012, 10:09 PM
It won't matter if our defense stays this bad. Florida played great defense when Tebow was there.

crimson monkey
11/24/2012, 10:11 PM
Jones puts a ton of points on the board. He is a good QB. I would settle for an improved ground game. If we had that to complement Jones, it would be a site to behold.

Soonermagik
11/24/2012, 10:19 PM
It won't matter if our defense stays this bad. Florida played great defense when Tebow was there.

I think OU's problem has been three fold.

1) no mobile QB

2) lack of a legit running game... a mobile QB solves that problem.

3) A stout defense

They must find a way to get a better front 7. They may be two years away, but if Bell progresses the right way then in a couple of years they may have a legit shot at the title. As for Kendall Thompson pushing him anything is possible, but I highly doubt it. Bob Stoops is fairly predictable and is almost always going to go with the guy who has the experience... see Tom Wort still playing.

bluedogok
11/24/2012, 10:37 PM
A mobile QB is not as important as a much improved (and healthy) o-line, that will help both phases of the offense more than a mobile QB. The front seven on defense has to improve.

Soonermagik
11/24/2012, 10:44 PM
A mobile QB is not as important as a much improved (and healthy) o-line, that will help both phases of the offense more than a mobile QB. The front seven on defense has to improve.

I agree with you that the front 7 has to be the #1 priority in recruiting. Heck, bring in JUCO's if necessary, it has to get better.

BigTip
11/25/2012, 10:04 AM
My only hope is that the question is answered before the season starts. Settled with no uncertainty.
Being in Austin and forced to keep up with texass, I know that "quarterback controversies" never work out well.

StoopTroup
11/25/2012, 10:27 AM
Supposedly Kendall Thompson is going to be pushing him pretty closely for the job.

You are 100% right about this. We met Kendall after the Red and White Game. He's got his head on his shoulders and you can tell how proud he is to be wearing Crimson and Cream. During warm ups...he's awesome. I think Bell will have the edge with the experience but KT will give him a run for his money come Spring.

That said...I really like Blake's throw yesterday when he stepped in for Landry. Scary moment as Landry looked like he might have had a concussion (IMO). He shook it off (Amazingly) and was right back in. Folks....that's a leader. We are so damn lucky we have Josh and all these really good QBs.

StoopTroup
11/25/2012, 10:30 AM

Farniok got a taste of what it's like to be a part of winning two huge close games and seemed like he's grasping the concept that he might have to play in more than one role. Dude is huge and has gotten some really great experience as we have gotten thin on the o-line this year. Look out for this guy. He's going to be a major player on the O-Line.

winout
11/25/2012, 10:37 AM
You are 100% right about this. We met Kendall after the Red and White Game. He's got his head on his shoulders and you can tell how proud he is to be wearing Crimson and Cream. During warm ups...he's awesome. I think Bell will have the edge with the experience but KT will give him a run for his money come Spring.

That said...I really like Blake's throw yesterday when he stepped in for Landry. Scary moment as Landry looked like he might have had a concussion (IMO). He shook it off (Amazingly) and was right back in. Folks....that's a leader. We are so damn lucky we have Josh and all these really good QBs.

Competition is good for the consumer, which is, thankfully, us.

SoonerinLA
11/25/2012, 11:01 AM
Comparing Blake Bell to Tebow? Isn't it a little early to make that comparison? I think we maybe getting ahead of ourselves.

OU_Sooners75
11/25/2012, 11:02 AM
I agree with you that the front 7 has to be the #1 priority in recruiting. Heck, bring in JUCO's if necessary, it has to get better.

They are trying with Ben Bradley and Toby Johnson.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/25/2012, 11:03 AM
IMO, Blake bell hasn't done anything to prove he has the job locked down.. Unless we are going to run 80 quarterback keepers per game.

OU_Sooners75
11/25/2012, 11:05 AM
Bell may be the heir apparent, but its not set in stone that he will be the starter.

Both Kendall Thompson and Trevor Knight might have a hand in the game next year.

Flagstaffsooner
11/25/2012, 11:06 AM
He's not as ugly as Tebow, but then who is?

humblesooner
11/25/2012, 11:09 AM
BB was named the #2 over Allen this year. I think he goes in to spring with the advantage. If one of the other guys can take it away from him, all the better.

Widescreen
11/25/2012, 11:22 AM
IMO, Blake bell hasn't done anything to prove he has the job locked down.. Unless we are going to run 80 quarterback keepers per game.
:les:WE MIGHT JUST DO THAT, SMART GUY! YOU JUST WAIT!:les:

picasso
11/25/2012, 11:24 AM
He can definitely run but I'm not sold on his ability to make some of the throws that Landry made.

picasso
11/25/2012, 11:37 AM
He can definitely run but I'm not sold on his ability to make some of the throws that Landry made.

Socrefbek
11/25/2012, 11:47 AM
I have not seen enough of Blake Bell yet, but if his arm is as advertised, he could develop into a Ben Rothlesberger type QB and that would be awesome. As a player of course, not as a person ;)