PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the Defense?

Soonermagik
11/24/2012, 08:27 PM
They have given up around 100 points in 2 games. I hear people saying they want to win national titles... well #8 will not come with this type of defense. Mike Stoops needs to figure this out... fast. This conference has become the WAC with 40+ point averages. You have to be able to run the ball and play stout D to win it all... OU has neither. I'm really frustrated that Stoops seems to be content with just winning. I want him to be disgusted with the defense, but he doesn't appear to be. What can this team do to fix their defensive woes?

SoonerDomiNation
11/24/2012, 08:28 PM
Recruit better

MsProudSooner
11/24/2012, 08:30 PM
They have given up around 100 points in 2 games. I hear people saying they want to win national titles... well #8 will not come with this type of defense. Mike Stoops needs to figure this out... fast. This conference has become the WAC with 40+ point averages. You have to be able to run the ball and play stout D to win it all... OU has neither. I'm really frustrated that Stoops seems to be content with just winning. I want him to be disgusted with the defense, but he doesn't appear to be. What can this team do to fix their defensive woes?

Not sure which Stoops you are speaking of. They both know whether the individuals on D are playing the best they can. I suspect you will only hear them complain about the current players if the effort isn't there. We all know we need to upgrade the talent on the front 7. There is no point to ripping on players who are doing their best.

Soonermagik
11/24/2012, 08:36 PM
Maybe better players are needed, but that's not all. There's no question you build a team starting with the front 7 on defense. This defense has had so little pressure on opposing QB's.. they have been gashed up the middle so many times. I suspect it's more than players, though. OU has top 15 recruiting classes virtually every year. I think the coaches aren't doing their jobs preparing guys. You can't give up 100 points in 2 games and only blame the players.

BlownGP
11/24/2012, 08:38 PM
I was going to post this same question. Guess we had a good game plan for TT, but we saw the bad sides against Baylor and it's gotten worse.

I dont want to be that guy after a win. I'm just happy we got a win and know how to win close games now.

fadada1
11/24/2012, 08:46 PM
i'm just as frustrated watching.

but after an hour to decompress, i honestly think we're about 1 1/2 seasons away. what he has done, while simplifying the schemes, has also created some confusion. he's trying to "unlearn" the over-thinking we saw with venables. we're one/two big recruits away on the d-line, LB, and DB. and we just need an off-season to work the packages. once the basics are there, we can become more complex and disguise more blitzes.

just my untrained eye's $.02

bluedogok
11/24/2012, 08:47 PM
Maybe better players are needed, but that's not all. There's no question you build a team starting with the front 7 on defense. This defense has had so little pressure on opposing QB's.. they have been gashed up the middle so many times. I suspect it's more than players, though. OU has top 15 recruiting classes virtually every year. I think the coaches aren't doing their jobs preparing guys. You can't give up 100 points in 2 games and only blame the players.
The truth is recruiting class rankings don't mean ****......they are nothing more than wild assed guesses by jock sniffers.