PDA

View Full Version : OT needs a rule change

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/23/2012, 07:31 PM
Was watching the apple cup and a DT intercepted the pass in OT and rumbled down to the 3 yard line. His team then gets the ball...at the 25. If you make a defensive play like that you should get it at either where the play ended OR the 25.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/23/2012, 07:37 PM
I can agree. On a turnover, take the better of the spot, play result, or the 25. With the current system, can you return a turnover for points?

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2012, 07:50 PM
I can agree. On a turnover, take the better of the spot, play result, or the 25. With the current system, can you return a turnover for points?

I'm pretty sure if the defense scores the game is over. They would have had an equal number of possessions with the defensive team now ahead. If that DT had been aware that he wasn't going to score, he should have tried to lateral to a teammate. There is no risk, because the offense cannot regain possession in that situation - the play would be dead.

Sabanball
11/23/2012, 07:59 PM
Agree. Spot the ball on the 50 and make the O move the ball down the field. At the 25 the D starts out at too much of a disadvantage.

aurorasooner
11/23/2012, 08:09 PM
Agree. Spot the ball on the 50 and make the O move the ball down the field. At the 25 the D starts out at too much of a disadvantage. Not sure if some games would every end if they spotted the ball at the 50, maybe move it back to the 30 or at most to the 35. It seems like a couple years ago the networks were bitchin' about CFB games taking too long. However I think that was so that in the same time frame they could get more commercials in. (The lame "do to time constraints we move further ahead in our coverage" which they wouldn't have to do if they weren't so freakin' greedy.
I do agree with the original post that in OT if the D makes a great play and takes it back inside the (now) 25, that it should be spotted at that point.

Scott D
11/23/2012, 09:02 PM
The 40 is fine.

ouwasp
11/24/2012, 12:43 AM
The proposal jkm offered is solid common sense.Sounds good to me. What would the negatives to such a rule change be?

The D can score in an OT situation. Remember, yrs ago, when I think it was ASU was having one of those "destiny" type seasons. Late in the yr someone took them to OT. ASU scored a TD, then went on D. The opponent threw a pick six, thus making the final look quite deceiving, imo. For some reason this bothered me...

agoo758
11/24/2012, 01:22 AM
I don't like moving it back. Gives the second team too much of an advantage if the first fails to move the ball.

WA. Sooner
11/24/2012, 05:07 AM
Sudden Death. If you don't like it, just win in regulation and not worry about it

oudivesherpa
11/24/2012, 09:47 AM
Just do it like the NFL. it looks like High School right now.

budbarrybob
11/24/2012, 09:53 AM
I agree about the Defensive possession. I am also glad they even have an OT. Why it took so long to make one I dunno.

tulsaoilerfan
11/24/2012, 09:58 AM
Stupid rule; if the defense makes a play, give them the ball where they end up at

jkjsooner
11/24/2012, 04:25 PM
Sudden Death. If you don't like it, just win in regulation and not worry about it

Then why not just a coin toss? Don't like it then win in regulation. Logic fail.