PDA

View Full Version : Champions

HAMTTX
11/23/2012, 07:29 AM
I have been watching OU since 1959, but I got to thinking that there are maybe a half of dozen seasons that I remember that would have crowned OU as national Champions had it not been for one game. The 78 Nebraska game, though that one was revenged in the Bowl game (think about that Bama OU did the same as you last year OU beat the team that beat them but got no credit for it). The 79 team that lost to Texas but beat FSU in the Orange Bowl. Then of course the two against Miami in the 86 and 87 games. And of course the 2004 game with USC, which stung about as bad as the 78 game, though for different reasons. Man, that is a lot of close calls to the title right there. Oh well what could have been.

PrideMom
11/23/2012, 12:01 PM
Only if "Ifs and buts" were candy and nuts..........

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2012, 12:49 PM
The 7-7 tie at USC in '73 when we out gained the defending AP national champ 400yds to 200yds. That team was too young to know how good it was and finished 10-0-1. The same core of guys did okay in '74 and '75.

PLaw
11/23/2012, 08:43 PM
how can you leave out '71 Nebbish - Mildren overthrows Harrison and it's ball game.

SoonerorLater
11/23/2012, 08:53 PM
The 1985 Orange Bowl OU and Washington. The Sooner Schooner game. Win that one and we have one more in the bank.

fadada1
11/23/2012, 09:09 PM
I have been watching OU since 1959, but I got to thinking that there are maybe a half of dozen seasons that I remember that would have crowned OU as national Champions had it not been for one game. The 78 Nebraska game, though that one was revenged in the Bowl game (think about that Bama OU did the same as you last year OU beat the team that beat them but got no credit for it). The 79 team that lost to Texas but beat FSU in the Orange Bowl. Then of course the two against Miami in the 86 and 87 games. And of course the 2004 game with USC, which stung about as bad as the 78 game, though for different reasons. Man, that is a lot of close calls to the title right there. Oh well what could have been.
i don't remember this game. the ncaa doesn't remember it either. i, on the other hand, have absolutely no recollection of this game. none.

Sabanball
11/23/2012, 09:16 PM
'77 also. The NC was there for the taking for you guys that night. Instead you let backup Ark rb Roland Sales run wild and Barry blew another one, even with Lou Holtz suspending two of his top players, Ben Cowins and Donny Bobo. That one would have hurt me the most because you practically had it in your hands and instead missed out on it by losing to an inferior team.

mainline13
11/23/2012, 09:59 PM
'77 also. The NC was there for the taking for you guys that night. Instead you let backup Ark rb Roland Sales run wild and Barry blew another one, even with Lou Holtz suspending two of his top players, Ben Cowins and Donny Bobo. That one would have hurt me the most because you practically had it in your hands and instead missed out on it by losing to an inferior team.

That one is my fault. I teased my uncle while he was watching his pigs lose to the whorns, saying stuff like "now you'll be free to come play us in the Orange Bowl."

Karma came around on me that time, for sure.

StoopTroup
11/23/2012, 10:03 PM
i don't remember this game. the ncaa doesn't remember it either. i, on the other hand, have absolutely no recollection of this game. none.

If they remember it...they have to call us the 2004 MNCs and evidently nobody wants a Trophy unless they beat someone that didn't cheat to get to the Final Game.