PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry I ever said Landry Jones is not good enough for the NFL....

TUSooner
11/22/2012, 09:52 PM
He could certainly start for the Jets, next Sunday even.

rock on sooner
11/22/2012, 09:56 PM

Heh...

boomersooner28
11/22/2012, 10:04 PM

YOU could start for the Jets next week.

bluedogok
11/22/2012, 10:06 PM
That's what I was trying to say in the other thread, the level of QB play in the NFL is not that good outside of a few elite QB's most every one of them is very average. I mean Brady Quinn is going to start for the Chiefs against the Bronco's on Sunday...need I say more?

TUSooner
11/22/2012, 10:16 PM
That's what I was trying to say in the other thread, the level of QB play in the NFL is not that good outside of a few elite QB's most every one of them is very average. I mean Brady Quinn is going to start for the Chiefs against the Bronco's on Sunday...need I say more?

I am convinced. No joke.

cleller
11/23/2012, 09:03 AM

I don't watch much NFL, but the little I see seems to validate this view. Landry can make some beautiful throws, and is smart. That should do for the NFL.

In college, QBs that can make a third down with their feet are a hot commodity. Not so much in the NFL.

badger
11/23/2012, 09:38 AM
I must say... Tim Tebow did a good job of not looking foolish for all of the times they were showing him on the sidelines last night, NEVER entering the game.

PrideMom
11/23/2012, 11:35 AM
The word defense comes to mind for the Jets.....

bluedogok
11/23/2012, 01:54 PM
I must say... Tim Tebow did a good job of not looking foolish for all of the times they were showing him on the sidelines last night, NEVER entering the game.
It was the painkillers......

Jets' Tebow reveals he has 2 broken ribs (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jets-tebow-reveals-2-broken-054005245--nfl.html)

badger
11/23/2012, 02:22 PM
As long as we're on the subject of NFL teams Landry could start for... who else is in the market for a new starter?

Here's a wiki page of all the starters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_starting_quarterbacks).

cleller
11/23/2012, 02:30 PM
As long as we're on the subject of NFL teams Landry could start for... who else is in the market for a new starter?

Here's a wiki page of all the starters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_starting_quarterbacks).

Landry looking better all the time.

He'll make a nice multi-millionaire. Whatever city lands him will surely have some disappointed nightclubs, though.

badger
11/23/2012, 02:49 PM
Team starters that badger DEFINITELY does NOT think that LJ could replace right now:

New England Patriots: Tom Brady
Houston Texans: Matt Schaub
Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck (maybe a "perhaps" but they're not gonna replace their top overall pick that replaced Peyton just yet)
Denver Broncos: Peyton Manning
New York Giants: Eli Manning
Washington Redskins: Robert Griffin III (ditto as Luck, but replace first overall with second overall)
Green Bay Packers: Aaron Rodgers (but I'd love LJ to replace Graham Harrell as backup... ok maybe not love if Rodgers gets injured)
Atlanta Falcons: Matt Ryan
New Orleans Saints: Drew Brees

Team starters that badger PERHAPS thinks that LJ could replace right now, or eventually:

Buffalo Bills: Ryan Fitzpatrick
Baltimore Ravens: Joe Flacco (still bitter that he never threw to Mark Clayton)
Cincinnati Bengals: Andy Dalton
San Diego Chargers: Philip Rivers
Dallas Cowboys: Tony Romo (even though I think that the Cowboys TOTALLY suck)
Detroit Lions: Matthew Stafford
Carolina Panthers: Cam Newton (oh man is his stock edging close to "TOTALLY SUCK" as the season moves along)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Josh Freeman
Seattle Seahawks: Russell Wilson
St. Louis Rams: Sam Bradford (poor sam... wish he played for a good franchise and he's be a pro bowler)

Team starters that TOTALLY SUCK and LJ could WITHOUT QUESTION replace right now:

Miami Dolphins: Ryan Tannehill
Cleveland Browns: Brandon Weeden
Pittsburgh Steelers: Byron Leftwich (and yes I know this is just temporary fill-in for Ben ROFL-burger)
New York Jets: Mark Sanchez
Jacksonville Jaguars: Blaine Gabbert
Tennessee Titans: Jake Locker
Kansas City Chiefs: Matt Cassel
Oakland Raiders: Carson Palmer (tee hee look at all of these ex-Trojans)
Philadelphia Eagles: Nick Foles (him OR vick)
Chicago Bears: Jason Campbell (him OR pouting cutler)
Whoever in Arizona - Skelton or Anderson or Hall
San Francisco 49ers: Colin Kaepernick (but not ex-starter Alex Smith, who I was still classify as "probably")

King Crimson
11/23/2012, 02:51 PM
let's just beat the pokes and worry about it later

StoopTroup
11/23/2012, 03:11 PM
Landry is God's Football Prophet. There is a reason he wears 12. :wink:

OkieThunderLion
11/23/2012, 05:29 PM
Team starters that badger PERHAPS thinks that LJ could replace right now, or eventually:

St. Louis Rams: Sam Bradford (poor sam... wish he played for a good franchise and he's be a pro bowler)
:
And I'd request a lobotomy.

No offense to Landry.

bluedogok
11/23/2012, 06:44 PM
If he were to fall far enough I could see a team with an established stater taking him as a future (project) QB, like Green Bay did with Rodgers. If Denver hadn't of drafted Osweiler I could see him here as a backup, Elway's son played with Osweiler at ASU before he quit football.

Petro-Sooner
11/24/2012, 04:08 PM
Landry is the best ever!! He should win trophys and what not.

KABOOKIE
11/24/2012, 04:20 PM
Landry stinks people. He can rack up the numbers against the nobodys and does well between the 20s but in the redzone he sucks ***

bluedogok
11/24/2012, 04:59 PM
I get a bit tired of the Landry bashing at this point, we know what he is and he only has two games left. Whining like a two year old isn't going to changed a damned thing. The defense concerns me a whole lot more than Landry.

winout
11/24/2012, 08:09 PM
Landry can "hang half a hundred" two weeks in a row and he's the problem. </sarcasm>.

TUSooner
11/27/2012, 12:03 PM
Landry stinks people. He can rack up the numbers against the nobodys and does well between the 20s but in the redzone he sucks ***

I've often felt that way, well sort-of.
But now I see we have some new good WRs, and I'm sad that LJ won't be around next year to throw to them. I'm afraid we may learn the hard way what it is to miss LJ.

But then, maybe not; maybe we'll have a more balanced attack that won't rely too much on one player. As for LJ playing in the NFL -- I still have my doubts, but his end-game performances the last 2 weeks (albeit versus bad Ds) have made me think there's more to him than a slack jaw, slumped shoulders, and a look of oblivious confusion.

StoopTroup
11/27/2012, 07:38 PM
We have a great QB Coach and a lousy WR Coach but it's possible Jay has found himself able to finally get to our kids. We lose more than just LJ this year. Justin Brown is gone and it's possible we could lose Stills and Saunders.

Landry and Justin are sure things....but I have faith that we will have a decent QB or 2 for next year ready to go. The Run Game and O-Line will ready as long as we beef up a few openings we will have.

Defense is our biggest worry IMO but we should have a great recruiting year that will allow us to really step up our D next year.

I'm getting excited about next year because of how we are playing in the 2nd half of this Season.

TXBOOMER
11/27/2012, 11:28 PM
I don't think LJ will have any success in the NFL. I hope I'm wrong but he doesn't like stepping up into the pocket I guess we will see. No doubt he will be missed at OU. I doubt we will ever see a QB start that many games again.

picasso
11/28/2012, 01:40 AM
I don't think LJ will have any success in the NFL. I hope I'm wrong but he doesn't like stepping up into the pocket I guess we will see. No doubt he will be missed at OU. I doubt we will ever see a QB start that many games again.
Huh? Did you watch any of the oSu game? A ton of his throws were as he moved up in the pocket.

jk the sooner fan
11/28/2012, 07:47 AM
some people love to watch the game of football but know absolutely nothing about the sport......and i mean nothing (aside from "we get 6 points for a touchdown, hell yeah")

quarterbacks have to possess a certain skill set to be successful - they have to be able to read defenses, they have to have an arm, etc etc etc - Landry Jones HAS all of those

they have to be in an offensive system that plays on that skill set (see Johnny Football at a&m)

quarterbacks at any level also have to have a supporting cast.......if you're a Rams fan right now you probably think Sam Bradford sucks total a**.......but he's playing with 10 spares - especially at the skill positions

football isn't basketball........Landry Jones can't be a Michael Jordan and "take over a game" - those types of QB's are incredibly rare and are always on teams loaded with talent

so Landry Jones stinks? no, not no but hell no - you're an idiot if you believe that

does he meet your expectations? obviously not

learn football

Soonerjeepman
11/28/2012, 08:04 AM
some people love to watch the game of football but know absolutely nothing about the sport......and i mean nothing (aside from "we get 6 points for a touchdown, hell yeah")

quarterbacks have to possess a certain skill set to be successful - they have to be able to read defenses, they have to have an arm, etc etc etc - Landry Jones HAS all of those

they have to be in an offensive system that plays on that skill set (see Johnny Football at a&m)

quarterbacks at any level also have to have a supporting cast.......if you're a Rams fan right now you probably think Sam Bradford sucks total a**.......but he's playing with 10 spares - especially at the skill positions

football isn't basketball........Landry Jones can't be a Michael Jordan and "take over a game" - those types of QB's are incredibly rare and are always on teams loaded with talent

so Landry Jones stinks? no, not no but hell no - you're an idiot if you believe that

does he meet your expectations? obviously not

learn football

although I've had my complaints, totally horrible decisions a few times, I concur. His overall body of work is really amazing. I think he has a good of shot in the nfl as any of our other qbs. he definitely will get drafted on potential alone. I'll take him in KC, can't get any worse!

jk the sooner fan
11/28/2012, 08:09 AM
i think as a fan base - we expect every next QB to live up to some level or standard...which isnt always fair because it keeps many fans for seeing what he truly is - rather than always looking at what he is not

Mjcpr
11/28/2012, 08:11 AM
i think as a fan base - we expect every next QB to live up to some level or standard...which isnt always fair because it keeps many fans for seeing what he truly is - rather than always looking at what he is not

That's deep, Zen jk. :D

ashley
11/28/2012, 08:58 PM

I think he has a chance just because there are so many bad backups.

TXBOOMER
11/29/2012, 12:07 AM
He steps into throws into a clean pocket. I guess we will wait and see. I think he is a great college QB but am skeptical about the pros.