PDA

View Full Version : PubFestEpilogue2012Prologue2016

SanJoaquinSooner
11/19/2012, 10:34 PM
Rick Perry wins the coveted Worst Politician of the Year Award, which in most years would be well-deserved. But it puts him underneath Todd Akin, whose peculiar views on female biology torpedoed Republican chances of taking a Missouri Senate seat. And underneath Akin is not somewhere you want to be.

On other republican fronts, Florida Republican Senator Marco Rubio, who sits on the Science and Transportation Committee declined to answer a question concerning how old he thinks the earth is, saying it's a theological question and, he's no scientist! Atta boy Marco, angling to be the guy who gets trounced in 2016.

TUSooner
11/20/2012, 10:07 AM
Rick Perry wins the coveted Worst Politician of the Year Award, which in most years would be well-deserved. But it puts him underneath Todd Akin, whose peculiar views on female biology torpedoed Republican chances of taking a Missouri Senate seat. And underneath Akin is not somewhere you want to be.

On other republican fronts, Florida Republican Senator Marco Rubio, who sits on the Science and Transportation Committee declined to answer a question concerning how old he thinks the earth is, saying it's a theological question and, he's no scientist! Atta boy Marco, angling to be the guy who gets trounced in 2016.

Rubio's non-answer reminded me of Iranian chimpanzee-president Ahmedinejad's non-answer when asked if he believed the Holocaust happened.

Both suggested that their opinions just don't matter all that much. They may be right after all.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/20/2012, 07:22 PM
Heather McDonald frequently writes about “Hispanic” issues, and cherry-picks data and stats to put them in the worst possible light. Her comments are then repeated in a gazillion blogs and tweets. It’s as if Republicans don’t want Latinos to vote for them.

Here is what Heather McDonald wrote the day after the election:

“It is not immigration policy that creates the strong bond between Hispanics and the Democratic Party, but the core Democratic principles of a more generous safety net, strong government intervention in the economy, and progressive taxation. Hispanics will prove to be even more decisive in the victory of Governor Jerry Brown’s Proposition 30, which raised upper-income taxes and the sales tax, than in the Obama election.”

Really? Hispanics drove the Prop 30 outcome?

The facts:
 Overall, 54% of those casting ballots were in favor of Proposition 30.
 Young voters, between ages 18 and 29, who made up 28% of those casting ballots, were 67% in favor and 33% opposed.
 White voters, who made up 55 percent of those casting ballots, were split 50-50 on the initiative.
 Hispanics, who were 23 percent of the electorate, were 53 percent in favor and 47 percent opposed.
 Asians, who were 12 percent of the electorate, were 61 percent in favor and 39 percent opposed.

Without Prop 30 passing, UC and CSU instate tuition would have jumped a couple thousand. Who do you think that hurts most, proportionally? Asians or Latinos?

Folks like Heather McDonald must be a Democrat’s wet dream.

Incidently, I voted in my own self-interest and I'm not even "hispanic." My son goes to a UC and the tuition bill would have jumped for me. But I really can't complain. With in-state tuition, the taxpayer is subsidizing my son's education about $10,000 per year... and our household income is well within the upper 20% of household incomes. Instate tuition subsidies are not called welfare, whereas reduced lunch sudsidies are.