PDA

View Full Version : Is it time we raid the ACC?

jkjsooner
11/19/2012, 11:40 AM
Now with Maryland going to the Big 10, is it time the Big 12 raids the ACC?

I'd love to pick up UNC, FSU, Clemson, and Georgia Tech and stick KU and ISU in the east for punishment for being terrible for so long.

DarrellZero
11/19/2012, 11:43 AM
Just what the Big 10 needs: another bad football team.

PrideMom
11/19/2012, 11:43 AM
FSU and Clemson would be good, need to keep KU and ISU for the second and third team practices......

badger
11/19/2012, 11:45 AM
We helped WVU with their Big East exit fees... are we sure we wanna help with $50 mil per school ACC exit fees?

Big East raiding might be cheaper. Also, Domre Lame might finally fold on its indy streak (and BYU might too) with the conferences around them ballooning up to 14 teams.

jkjsooner
11/19/2012, 11:47 AM
We helped WVU with their Big East exit fees... are we sure we wanna help with $50 mil per school ACC exit fees?

Big East raiding might be cheaper. Also, Domre Lame might finally fold on its indy streak (and BYU might too) with the conferences around them ballooning up to 14 teams.

I don't know. Them making a run for a national title isn't hurting their outlook as an independent. If NBC was going to drop them they would have done it over the last decade or so.

Mac94
11/19/2012, 11:48 AM
Interesting thought but how happy is the West Virginia admin with the Big-12? If the ACC decided to pursue WV how likely are they to listen? They would fit geographically as a replacement for Maryland.

soonerboomer93
11/19/2012, 11:52 AM

Who's worth raiding from the BE?

Also the Domers are moving all their sports (but football) to the ACC already.

badger
11/19/2012, 11:52 AM
Interesting thought but how happy is the West Virginia admin with the Big-12? If the ACC decided to pursue WV how likely are they to listen? They would fit geographically as a replacement for Maryland.

I'm sure that in addition to the Big 12 exit fee, we'd make em pay their Big East exit fee as well if they left. That'd be a big bill to foot... and then they'd be locked into the ACC (which has a $50 million exit fee).

I think WVU has to reserve judgement on the Big 12 till their basketball season is over. They are probably gonna have two good seasons (mens and womens)

soonerboomer93
11/19/2012, 11:53 AM

Wouldn't really matter, WVU signed the grant of rights same as all the current Big 12 schools.

ouflak
11/19/2012, 11:58 AM
Wouldn't really matter, WVU signed the grant of rights same as all the current Big 12 schools.

That just mean a bigger negotiated payout, that's all.

Mac94
11/19/2012, 12:02 PM
It was jsut a thought ... could also see them go after UConn as basketball heavy the ACC is and it fits with the Adding of Syracuse and Boston College a few years back. The ACC's major trump card right now is Notre Dame .... that deal was huge for them.

Mac94
11/19/2012, 12:04 PM
Another question ... anyone think wil the Big-10 going to 14 with the SEC and the ACC going to 14 (now 13 until Maryland is replaced) that the Pac-12 may want to join the party? Could they try a second time to move East?

badger
11/19/2012, 12:09 PM
Another question ... anyone think wil the Big-10 going to 14 with the SEC and the ACC going to 14 (now 13 until Maryland is replaced) that the Pac-12 may want to join the party? Could they try a second time to move East?

If that silver bullet train thing takes off, geography wouldn't be an issue :)

jkjsooner
11/19/2012, 01:20 PM
It was jsut a thought ... could also see them go after UConn as basketball heavy the ACC is and it fits with the Adding of Syracuse and Boston College a few years back. The ACC's major trump card right now is Notre Dame .... that deal was huge for them.

I don't see a non-football Notre Dame as a big pick up at all. Plus it makes the ACC look like the Big East with its hodgepodge of schools that play some sports and not others.

I actually thought the 12 team conferences were a good trend but at 14 it gets counterproductive. It's no longer about what makes sense. It's about picking up as many media markets as you possibly can.

Sco
11/19/2012, 01:27 PM
I'm curious if the Big Ten really stops at 14. They could make a move for some other AAU schools (Kansas, Mizzou, UNC...) and jump to 16. Think the SEC or Pac might come knocking again if that happens? If the Big 12 doesn't make a move soon, this conference may be torn apart.

JiminyChristmas
11/19/2012, 02:30 PM
Somewhere it was leaked that the ACC is going after UCONN as the Maryland replacement and have a tentative agreement reached.

Big XII has to make some moves to get back to at least 12, but probably needs to go ahead and get to 14. FSU and Clemson are potentials since there was pretty intense talks last time around. I doubt any of the Carolina schools are a real option. I think the other two teams are more likely to be Louisville and Cincy. Whoever it is, I say stay East. Don't bring in BYU or anybody west of Texas Tech that causes the geo-spread to be that much worse. Create East/West Divisions like:

West:
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Kansas State
Kansas
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor

East:
West Virginia
Iowa State
Florida State
Clemson
Louisville
Cincinnati
TCU

Not thrilled about the prospects of Louisville and Cincy, but they are the most realistic possibilities. Still wish we would go to the SEC so we could have a chance at National Championships. Sigh. Here we go again.

MichiganSooner
11/19/2012, 03:40 PM
Florida State and Clemson for sure. Can you imagine adding North Carolina and what they would do for Big 12 basketball? Louisville and Cincinnati are possiblities.

JohnnyMack
11/19/2012, 04:49 PM
I'd like to take OU and OSU and become the PAC-14 and have Cincy, Louisville, Pitt and someone else finish out the Big 12.

ddub0224
11/19/2012, 05:36 PM
Until we see what the negotiated buyout for Maryland will end up being, there are 50 million reasons that FSU and Clemson are not leaving.

JiminyChristmas
11/19/2012, 05:44 PM
I'd like to take OU and OSU and become the PAC-14 and have Cincy, Louisville, Pitt and someone else finish out the Big 12.

The PAC wants no part of OSU.

OU_Sooners75
11/19/2012, 06:10 PM

The ACC told them no because they didn't fit academically to the ACC. So I highlyy doubt WVU will be leaving the Big 12@ anytime soon.

Not to mention WVU is in deep debt right now in the Big 12. The mountaineers are enjoying a conference that is culture similar as they are. Landgrant universities. Down home folk. And a passionate conference for football that is football driven, not basketball.

With Maryland leaving the ACC and Clemson and FSU seriously thinking about leaving before. This may just be the straw to get out. And $50 million for FSU and many other ACC football schools really isn't that much.

OU_Sooners75
11/19/2012, 06:14 PM
That just mean a bigger negotiated payout, that's all.

Yeah, I higly doubt the Big 12 folds like the Big East did if WVU decided to leave for the ACC.

The Mountaineers would owe way to much money. They would owe 25 million for the loan they got from the Big 12. They would owe 25 million for an exit fee. And they would have to negotiate their TV rights, so I would assume another 25-50 million on that. So they would likely be burying themselves with close to a $100 million debt just to get out of the Big 12.

And with them not a full share right now, that would really cripple their finances.

OU_Sooners75
11/19/2012, 06:17 PM

Not really. Notre Dame is in the ACC in everything but football. And then they still don't have to play a full slate of ACC teams if they choose not too. They just have to play what, 4?

Trust me, until ND enters into the ACC in football, they really don't have a trump card for anyone!