PDA

View Full Version : I love how that last TD came about !

landrun
11/18/2012, 09:46 PM
... play clock is ticking down... Landry trying to audible... trying to call out the change to the O Line.

Not sure if they can hear or if he has time...

LJ looks over to Stills...

LJ: "I'm going to you"

STILLS: "No problem. I got this!"

LJ: "Set. hut."

TOUCHDOWN!!!!

:glee::glee::glee::glee:

8timechamps
11/18/2012, 10:25 PM
You know, everything about that last possession was perfect:

We needed a big return: Clay answers.

We need a couple of big catches: Shepard makes a big play.

We need a play to get us deep in the redzone, but not a score: Brown makes the play.

We need a play to run time off without a score, inside the 5: Belldozer.

We need a great play, on fourth down, to win the game: Jones to Stills...TOUCHDOWN!

I don't think you could plan a better drive in that situation. We needed to score quick, but not leave too much time. Sooner Magic.

FtwTxSooner
11/18/2012, 10:33 PM
Clock management was excellent. If we got a first down instead of a td, we still had time to spike and run a couple of plays. It just took a couple of plays to get down the field, and still had the presence of mind to not hurry up and burn some clock.

BoulderSooner79
11/18/2012, 11:45 PM
Third week in a row that Clay has come up big in a scoring drive. That extra 20yds over a touchback may not have been critical since we were moving the ball so well, but it had to give the offense a big boost of confidence coming onto the field. And he was smart about it - he waited to make sure the ball wasn't going out of bounds and give us the ball at the 40 on the penalty.

blacktop
11/19/2012, 01:31 AM
... play clock is ticking down... Landry trying to audible... trying to call out the change to the O Line.

Not sure if they can hear or if he has time...

LJ looks over to Stills...

LJ: "I'm going to you"

STILLS: "No problem. I got this!"

LJ: "Set. hut."

TOUCHDOWN!!!!

:glee::glee::glee::glee:

Great observation! I have watched that play again & again and Landry does indeed yell something to Stills and Stills does indeed nod his head. Well done.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/19/2012, 02:03 AM
I want some refs fired by the Big 12, for putting us in jeopardy like they did. Instead, they will get a commendation of some kind from the "To hell with Oklahoma Club"for the valiant effort they gave, which we had to overcome,...again.

Breadburner
11/19/2012, 02:30 AM
It was about time...!!

stoopified
11/19/2012, 07:47 AM
You know, everything about that last possession was perfect:

We needed a big return: Clay answers.

We need a couple of big catches: Shepard makes a big play.

We need a play to get us deep in the redzone, but not a score: Brown makes the play.

We need a play to run time off without a score, inside the 5: Belldozer.

We need a great play, on fourth down, to win the game: Jones to Stills...TOUCHDOWN!

I don't think you could plan a better drive in that situation. We needed to score quick, but not leave too much time. Sooner Magic.Bingo. IMHO this was the first appearence of offensive SOONER MAGIC in the Stoops era.
I thought I should add the offensive because in 2000 we did have defensive Sooner Magic vs. aTm and oSu.

Jacie
11/19/2012, 08:13 AM
Bingo. IMHO this was the first appearence of SOONER MAGIC in the Stoops era.

Yes, and the icing on the cake is we don't have to explain it to the new guys in the conference . . .

badger
11/19/2012, 09:33 AM
West Virginia's final drive... in photos...

Holgorsen: I think that hottie in row 20 of the student section is checking me out...
http://blog.newsok.com/osu/files/2012/11/Dana_Holgorsen_08232012.jpg
Geno Smith: COACH!!! THE GAME!!!!!
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbk5suvudN1qeio38o1_500.jpg
Holgorsen: Right... um... so we can go to Superman, or someone else...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/Barack_Obama_with_Superman.jpg
Austin: I am Superman. And I can do anything.
http://www.wvmetronews.com/content/Image/AustinRun.jpg
Holgorsen: Let's go with someone else.
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/373659_299581706739411_118161707_n.jpg
Neer fans: Are you sh!tting me?!
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/616/743/hi-res-152573077_display_image.jpg
Couch: Awww, but they're already dousing me in gasoline! They have strike anywhere matches! Strike ANYWHERE!
http://www.manictroutblog.com/Images/Blog/RottenCouch.jpg
Holgorsen: Awww, we lost.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7184/7117083251_0c88e155d9_m.jpg

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/19/2012, 10:23 AM
really pisses me off, that the only picture i am able to see in the above post, is Obama and superman. i just vomited on my keyboard. thanks Badg. ;)

PrideMom
11/19/2012, 10:50 AM
Landry was COOL!!! He looked confident, and knew he was going to get the final score!

badger
11/19/2012, 10:54 AM
really pisses me off, that the only picture i am able to see in the above post, is Obama and superman. i just vomited on my keyboard. thanks Badg. ;)

In that case, know this: Holgorsen voted Obama... and he lost :P

cvsooner
11/19/2012, 02:30 PM
Yeah, well, this Sooner fan voted Obama...and we won.

OklaPony
11/19/2012, 07:36 PM
The only thing I didn't like about the OUr last TD was how much time was on the clock. I'm not sure whose decision it was to use OUr last TO on 4th and goal with roughly 30 seconds on the clock but that clearly was a mistake. When the 4th down snap happened there should have been about 8 seconds on the clock. Fortunately we got away with it but I know we were all holding OUr collective breath. Regardless it was one hell of a great win especially considering all the BS calls we had to deal with in the first half.

BoulderSooner79
11/19/2012, 07:47 PM
The only thing I didn't like about the OUr last TD was how much time was on the clock. I'm not sure whose decision it was to use OUr last TO on 4th and goal with roughly 30 seconds on the clock but that clearly was a mistake. When the 4th down snap happened there should have been about 8 seconds on the clock. Fortunately we got away with it but I know we were all holding OUr collective breath. Regardless it was one hell of a great win especially considering all the BS calls we had to deal with in the first half.

Already discussed in another thread. If Still catches that ball and is driven back short of the goal line, the game is over even though it would be a 1st down. With 24 seconds left, we could spike it and probably have time for the full 3 plays to try to score if needed. I've seen pro teams do this intentionally. The defense guards the endzone so tightly it is really hard to get anyone open, but they may leave the area just in front of the goal line open and the offense may choose to go there for the 1st down to buy more cracks at the endzone.

goingoneight
11/19/2012, 07:53 PM
Jason White to Mark Bradley against aTm was a Sooner Magic moment.

So was Renaldo Works's "miracle run" against Alabama.

Let's not forget Paul Thompson's 3rd down strike to Jermaine Gresham to spark the Gresham era of dominance... but not before a game-sealing magical drive for a BIG 12 Championship.

Broyles's grab against OSU in 2010 that he had to blindly reach for a first down was clutch.
So was Landry's TD strike to Cameron Kenney with all the momentum and pressure up against him.
Moments later... so was his fourth TD pass of the night that cleared over 70 yards to James Hanna.

Quentin Griffin snagged a bad option pitch from Josh Heupel on fourth down and picked up a first down that was critical to a National Championship run in 2000.

Sam Bradford wouldn't allow Sooner Magic to be needed the way he played against aggy orange in 2008.

DeMarco Murray had a thing or two or three to say about Sooner Magic in the RRS back in 2007 as well as 2010.

Woolfolk had a pretty amazing catch against Nebraska in 2000 IIRC.

VA Sooner
11/19/2012, 10:38 PM

Let's not forget Paul Thompson's 3rd down strike to Jermaine Gresham to spark the Gresham era of dominance... but not before a game-sealing magical drive for a BIG 12 Championship.

Broyles's grab against OSU in 2010 that he had to blindly reach for a first down was clutch.
So was Landry's TD strike to Cameron Kenney with all the momentum and pressure up against him.
Moments later... so was his fourth TD pass of the night that cleared over 70 yards to James Hanna.

Quentin Griffin snagged a bad option pitch from Josh Heupel on fourth down and picked up a first down that was critical to a National Championship run in 2000.

Sam Bradford wouldn't allow Sooner Magic to be needed the way he played against aggy orange in 2008.

DeMarco Murray had a thing or two or three to say about Sooner Magic in the RRS back in 2007 as well as 2010.

This brought back a lot of fond memories! Thanks, 8!!!

Wishboned
11/19/2012, 11:18 PM

I always thought this was a little magical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id8aLJ4HRn4

OklaPony
11/20/2012, 05:17 PM
Already discussed in another thread. If Still catches that ball and is driven back short of the goal line, the game is over even though it would be a 1st down. With 24 seconds left, we could spike it and probably have time for the full 3 plays to try to score if needed. I've seen pro teams do this intentionally. The defense guards the endzone so tightly it is really hard to get anyone open, but they may leave the area just in front of the goal line open and the offense may choose to go there for the 1st down to buy more cracks at the endzone.
Ah. I thought it was 4th and goal. My blood pressure was pretty high at the time, I'm blaming it on that. :)

8timechamps
11/20/2012, 08:16 PM

I don't follow you. We won the game, how was it a mistake?

OklaPony
11/21/2012, 11:02 AM
I don't follow you. We won the game, how was it a mistake?
I thought it was 4th and goal. Didn't realize we could've gotten a first down.

If it had indeed been 4th and goal then we would've run the clock down as far as possible so that after we scored there would be no time left for WVU to even attempt to score, except for possibly a couple of seconds for the kickoff.

cvsooner
11/21/2012, 12:23 PM
Yeah, could've made first down (and technically, we did, according to the statisticians), somewhere around the one-yard line. Great play and execution.

Socrefbek
11/21/2012, 08:38 PM
Yeah, well, this Sooner fan voted Obama...and we won.

Take it to the politics board you two ...