PDA

View Full Version : Austin..the player

Soonerjeepman
11/18/2012, 03:28 PM
good gawd...that dude..lol. I was like TACKLE THAT MFER....lol. Jeeze he is good. Not sure if it was our horrible defense...their holding...him being a stud or what. I was screaming at the TV...AUSTIN is getting the ball...every frickin time.

Hat is off to him...but OU did get the last laugh..a win.

LawtonBoy74
11/18/2012, 03:40 PM
He is amazing!! I hope my dallas cowboys draft him!!

cleller
11/18/2012, 04:29 PM
It was hard to tell if he that great or not from my living room. There was a heavy mist of spittle spray in the direction of the TV, and my eyes had trouble focusing while I screamed.

Soonerjeepman
11/18/2012, 04:31 PM
lol..not $hit cleller...that was funny. Yes my BP definitely was a bit high...

with 24 secs left I was like holy crap we gave them way too much time...wayy tooo much time.

yermom
11/18/2012, 05:05 PM
Soon

jkjsooner
11/18/2012, 07:34 PM
good gawd...that dude..lol. I was like TACKLE THAT MFER....lol. Jeeze he is good. Not sure if it was our horrible defense...their holding...him being a stud or what. I was screaming at the TV...AUSTIN is getting the ball...every frickin time.

Hat is off to him...but OU did get the last laugh..a win.

I think it's somewhere in the middle. He is definitely a good player. It wouldn't be the first time we made a decent player look All World.

SoonerOX
11/18/2012, 07:41 PM
I was yelling furk a lot. I think I may have used most of the angry variations of furk.

SoonerMarkVA
11/18/2012, 08:32 PM
I don't know about how all-around good he is, but his ability to cut and his speed were unbelievable. It was like watching De'Mond Parker. Seeing anyone just pull away from our DBs is shocking, and he did it, big-time.

8timechamps
11/18/2012, 08:53 PM
He's been a very elusive player since he stepped foot on the WVU campus. He just had never been lined up at RB. That's the kind of guy that can make amazing plays in bunches. Both Bob and Mike Stoops said they have never seen a player that quick that could make people miss like Austin did.

The good news about next week is that while OSU has a really good offense, they don't have Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey or Geno Smith, all playing their best games of the year. As much as I can't stand Dana Mulletson, I give him full credit for coming up with a gameplan to put his best players in the best position to make big plays.

Seamus
11/18/2012, 08:59 PM
lol..not $hit cleller...that was funny. Yes my BP definitely was a bit high...

with 24 secs left I was like holy crap we gave them way too much time...wayy tooo much time.

^^^THIS, seriously. In an effort to be healthier, I've given up a lot of things, including most of my drinking (got the BP down to 116/79, yay).

But that freaking game last night took a toll and a half on me. Afterward, I went to the Scotch cabinet and poured about 3.5 fingers (hell, call it four) of single malt just to calm my nerves.

BTW, it was Auchentoshan Three Wood, which, if you are a Scotch drinker, you do want to try.

8timechamps
11/18/2012, 09:04 PM
^^^THIS, seriously. In an effort to be healthier, I've given up a lot of things, including most of my drinking (got the BP down to 116/79, yay).

But that freaking game last night took a toll and a half on me. Afterward, I went to the Scotch cabinet and poured about 3.5 fingers (hell, call it four) of single malt just to calm my nerves.

BTW, it was Auchentoshan Three Wood, which, if you are a Scotch drinker, you do want to try.

I didn't actually fall asleep until about 3:00 am. Too worked up.

A game like that every now and then keeps you young. Or it takes 5 years off of your life...I'm not sure which, but I'm sure it's one of them.

BoomerJack
11/19/2012, 10:53 AM
Austin's a very good player all right. And though some wailing and gnashing of teeth about the total yards piled up by W.Va. is justified, sometimes you have to give credit to the other guys' athleticism, talent, game planning and playmaking.

Please tell me that the Austin kid is a senior. I don't want to have to play against him again.

SoonerLB
11/19/2012, 12:05 PM
I almost lost my voice because of the hollering I was doing, could not believe we couldn't stop that little ******* from embarrassing us the way he did. It's a wonder we got a win with that dismal performance, good thing Landry was having a good day. And I'll fess up, when they did get lucky and catch Austin, I was begging/screaming for someone in the pile to break his frickin' legs!

And was it me, or did the refs in that game refuse to call holding or much of anything else on WV? Looked to me like there was some pretty blatant holding going on by them and they got away it over and over again.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/19/2012, 01:46 PM
Ah. That kid was annoying. He was Reggie Bush annoying. Maybe even Darren Sproles annoying.

cjames317
11/19/2012, 01:57 PM
I think it's somewhere in the middle. He is definitely a good player. It wouldn't be the first time we made a decent player look All World.

Or just a competent player .... Owen Schmitt, anyone?

yermom
11/19/2012, 03:09 PM
that guy was really good all the time though

Soonerjeepman
11/19/2012, 03:45 PM
Ah. That kid was annoying. He was Reggie Bush annoying. Maybe even Darren Sproles annoying.

I got tired of his smilin bs...but he really did juke a bunch of guys...I'd be smilin as well...until the end. I actually think Sproles is a pretty good kid (guy), bush on the other hand...

OkieThunderLion
11/19/2012, 04:34 PM
Both Bob and Mike Stoops said they have never seen a player that quick that could make people miss like Austin did.

... and I've never seen a defensive scheme try to combat a great runner w/o a single flipping linebacker on the field.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/19/2012, 04:47 PM
I kinda feel sorry for the last 2 opponents of the Couchers. Holgerson has an A-bomb in his arsenal now, and he apparently didn't even know it before the OU game...and, he should be sure the same refs officiate those remaining games.

BigTip
11/19/2012, 07:12 PM
. I was like TACKLE THAT MFER....

Not me. I was like HURT that mfer! lol

He was playing like I thought Finch was going to be like. That waterbug, you can't catch me, kind of guy.
Fun to watch, unless he's kicking your butt of course.

Soonerjeepman
11/19/2012, 07:56 PM

He was playing like I thought Finch was going to be like. That waterbug, you can't catch me, kind of guy.

lol..no doubt...

Soonerjeepman
11/19/2012, 08:10 PM
Apparently after the ku game someone asked Rhoads about Austin and what he did against OU. Rhoads said they saw the score, some stats, etc..."then we vomited" (or threw up)...it was on sports talk up here. Just listening to him say that as calmly as he talked of everything else was great.

course I about threw up Sat night as well.

soonercastor
11/20/2012, 12:45 AM
The good news about next week is that while OSU has a really good offense, they don't have Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey or Geno Smith, all playing their best games of the year. As much as I can't stand Dana Mulletson, I give him full credit for coming up with a gameplan to put his best players in the best position to make big plays.

FWIW, while I get your point, it wasn't Geno's or Bailey's best game of the year.

Scott D
11/20/2012, 02:22 PM
I can freely admit I watched the kid with awe, while cursing. Having had time to absorb the impact of it, and watch that game a few more times I've gotten a greater appreciation for what he accomplished that night. Taking the emotion out of things it was a very awesome performance on his part.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2012, 02:34 PM

Sorry, we only allow our shifty back on the field during kickoffs..cale gundy policy.

StoopTroup
11/20/2012, 02:39 PM
I was hoping....

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/530/514/austin2_original.jpg?1346325125

Pricetag
11/20/2012, 03:30 PM
I kept expecting a fumbled exchange, but it never came. Dude is awesome. He was in the head of every part of our defense.

SoonerObsession
11/20/2012, 08:30 PM
Coach Stoops was asked tonight on Sooner Sports talk, "Did you think about changing the defense after half?" He said the defense they were running held the other running backs to 3 yards a carry (same running plays on 21 carries). Austin is just that good. I don't know if having linebackers on the field would have made a difference or not. If speedy corners and safeties can't keep up with him, how would a linebacker?

8timechamps
11/20/2012, 08:38 PM
FWIW, while I get your point, it wasn't Geno's or Bailey's best game of the year.

I know statistically it wasn't, but overall, it'd be hard to find a better performance against a quality team. Geno Smith may have the strongest arm in the conference, if not the country. With the pressure off (because of the successful run game), he was placing the ball in the perfect f'ing spot, and if it wasn't perfect, Bailey made it look perfect.

All in all, it's a nightmare I'm ready to forget.

StoopTroup
11/20/2012, 09:22 PM
I know statistically it wasn't, but overall, it'd be hard to find a better performance against a quality team. Geno Smith may have the strongest arm in the conference, if not the country. With the pressure off (because of the successful run game), he was placing the ball in the perfect f'ing spot, and if it wasn't perfect, Bailey made it look perfect.

All in all, it's a nightmare I'm ready to forget.

I agree. I know folks were blowing up about all sorts of stuff in the Game Thread and JLEW's five other personal Game Threads ( :D ) but I kept saying that Geno's arm was amazing. I had watched him play in some other Big XII Games this year and knew he was pretty good but he was really making some great throws against us. I just couldn't believe we didn't pick him off a bit more but we would have had to sell out way to much to do it and then I think it might have cost us some huge yards but it would have been cool if they had let the 7 take a few more chances when they knew he was passing.

I don't like second guessing the Coaches, especially when we win. It was a tough game to watch considering how we could have beat KSU and ND if we would have played that way in the 4th quarter. IMO.

Soonerjeepman
11/20/2012, 09:32 PM
I can freely admit I watched the kid with awe, while cursing. Having had time to absorb the impact of it, and watch that game a few more times I've gotten a greater appreciation for what he accomplished that night. Taking the emotion out of things it was a very awesome performance on his part.

most definitely...a unbelievable performance. I'm just glad I was at the GF's with NO computer...lol I would have been bitchin all night long! LOL

Dan Thompson
11/20/2012, 09:52 PM
When we were driving for the winning TD, I sure had the Baylor game from last year on my mine. I was afraid that we left too much time on the clock.

soonerdo
11/20/2012, 10:32 PM
Did Austin play in the 2008 game too

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2012, 11:17 PM
No, the guys we allowed to set personal bests that day was Pat White and Owen Schmitt

picasso
11/20/2012, 11:40 PM
Smith throws a beauty of a deep ball.

PrideMom
11/21/2012, 09:56 AM
But he should have been charged unsportsmanlike conduct when he started "high stepping" at the end of his run!

FirstandGoal
11/21/2012, 10:00 AM
But he should have been charged unsportsmanlike conduct when he started "high stepping" at the end of his run!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^

If he had been running into the endzone it would have been called. Why not any other place on the field?

OkieThunderLion
11/21/2012, 10:24 AM
Geno Smith may have the strongest arm in the conference, if not the country.

Looked noticably weaker than Landry's, to me.

OkieThunderLion
11/21/2012, 10:25 AM
Coach Stoops was asked tonight on Sooner Sports talk, "Did you think about changing the defense after half?" He said the defense they were running held the other running backs to 3 yards a carry (same running plays on 21 carries). Austin is just that good. I don't know if having linebackers on the field would have made a difference or not. If speedy corners and safeties can't keep up with him, how would a linebacker?
Then maybe they should have tried using that defense (4-2-5) against Austin, instead of the one they did (4-0-7).

stoops the eternal pimp
11/21/2012, 10:34 AM
If you put linebackers on the field, they are in a better position to tackle him before he gets going vs letting a speedy, shifty back get 15-20 yards down the field before he has to make his first move.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/21/2012, 10:35 AM
But once again, wtF is Tim kish doing?

OkieThunderLion
11/21/2012, 11:34 AM
But once again, wtF is Tim kish doing?

Unfortunately, it speaks volumes. Mike is telling Kish, he's more confident with his 7th best "pupil" than Kish's best.

Brent and Mike would have gotten into a fist-fight last week. It was awesome when those two would start arguing on the sidelines. I would have killed to see that again!

stoops the eternal pimp
11/21/2012, 11:45 AM
Unfortunately, it speaks volumes. Mike is telling Kish, he's more confident with his 7th best "pupil" than Kish's best.

Brent and Mike would have gotten into a fist-fight last week. It was awesome when those two would start arguing on the sidelines. I would have killed to see that again!

LOL!...I can just imagine Brent's reaction if mike would have tried to trot out 7DBs without a single LB on the field.

yermom
11/21/2012, 12:47 PM
so why didn't they just run Austin on the goal line too?

we sure seemed to tighten up in the redzone

Scott D
11/21/2012, 01:45 PM

if it's the run I think it was, it wasn't unsportsmanlike conduct, it's changing of pace to force the defenders around him to commit so he can make a change of direction. When our defenders kept their positional integrity on that play, he proceeded to step out of bounds two steps later.

if it was on a TD run, who knows, calling unsportsmanlike is subjective at that point and while we might have felt it was, a referee isn't necessarily looking at it. But to be honest there were times when Kenny Stills could have gotten called for one after a couple of his TD catches. That's one area where the refs called it right down the middle.

Scott D
11/21/2012, 01:46 PM
so why didn't they just run Austin on the goal line too?

we sure seemed to tighten up in the redzone

they did once...he made two moves and went into the endzone untouched.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/22/2012, 01:42 AM
they did once...he made two moves and went into the endzone untouched.It will be interesting what Holgerson does with Austin in this friday's game.

C&CDean
11/22/2012, 08:40 AM
Man, y'all sure like to slobber some knob.

**** that little twerp. First game he ever played running back in his life. EVER. Nobody knew what to expect. He won't do **** the rest of the year cause everyone will be planning for him. If he continues running unabated to the EZ I'll swallow the appropriate portion of crow. I just don't think he will. Nobody runs like that when the defense has seen film and knows it's coming.

Breadburner
11/22/2012, 09:25 AM
There was an obvious hold on the TD right after half....The OL had our guy buy the head....