PDA

View Full Version : The Coaching Carousel is Starting to Turn....

Sabanball
11/18/2012, 11:43 AM
Derek Dooley is out at Tennessee and will not coach against Kentucky, sources say. Supposedly to be announced tomorrow.

BillyBall
11/18/2012, 11:48 AM
Supposedly to be announced tomorrow.

Or today.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8648445/derek-dooley-tennessee-volunteers-return-another-season

soonerstan56
11/18/2012, 11:53 AM
I wonder if they are trying to get a jump on everyone else so they can find their next Kiffin?

Stan

Sabanball
11/18/2012, 12:02 PM
If they are smart they will go after Bob Petrino--just make sure that motorcycle riding lessons and season passes to all the gentlemen's clubs in Knoxville are part of the contract.

agoo758
11/18/2012, 02:14 PM
How about Charlie Strong?

cleller
11/18/2012, 02:22 PM
How about Charlie Strong?

Bet a lot of folks are gonna be after him. I'd wait for something better, and not in the SEC. Heck, Texas may have their eye on him.

He's from Univ Central Arkansas, so maybe the Arky job would look better if he did want the SEC.

I don't know squat, though.

ouwasp
11/18/2012, 03:05 PM
Is Jon Gruden going to be a candidate somewhere this yr? Or any yr?

rock on sooner
11/18/2012, 03:19 PM
Derek Dooley is out at Tennessee and will not coach against Kentucky, sources say. Supposedly to be announced tomorrow.

Maybe Tennessee and Auburn just trade coaches, you know, new
surroundings and all that....

EatLeadCommie
11/18/2012, 03:35 PM
I don't see how Kirk Ferentz at Iowa keeps his job after this season.

rock on sooner
11/18/2012, 03:39 PM
I don't see how Kirk Ferentz at Iowa keeps his job after this season.

I don't see how he's gotten so much money at IA. He was hired the same
years that Stoops was at OU and has 40 fewer wins and is paid over $3mil,
went to the Orange Bowl once, and several second tier bowls and their AD
just LOVES him, says he pays him to keep him, beats me...

CowboyMRW
11/18/2012, 03:42 PM
Supposedly Gundy met Wednesday night in Dallas with Tennessee officials.

There is some major smoke that Gundy is gone to either Tennessee or Arkansas after this year.

ouwasp
11/18/2012, 03:52 PM
Supposedly Gundy met Wednesday night in Dallas with Tennessee officials.

There is some major smoke that Gundy is gone to either Tennessee or Arkansas after this year.

For real? I thought OSU was Mike's New Yawk Yankee job. Maybe he's tired of Pickens the Puppetmaster. I think he is a pretty good coach, so I hope he goes to Tennessee. Be nice for Arky to be sub-par for awhile.

CowboyMRW
11/18/2012, 03:57 PM
It's not Pickens. It's Holder supposedly. Evidently, the contract dispute was a bigger deal than originally thought, and he wants to get back to calling his own plays.

I do hope he stays though. Tennessee just got another 2 years of recruiting probation so I don't know why he would consider them right now.

jk the sooner fan
11/18/2012, 03:58 PM
who better to wear orange pants than Gundy

cleller
11/18/2012, 04:27 PM
For real? I thought OSU was Mike's New Yawk Yankee job. Maybe he's tired of Pickens the Puppetmaster. I think he is a pretty good coach, so I hope he goes to Tennessee. Be nice for Arky to be sub-par for awhile.

It's not Pickens. It's Holder supposedly. Evidently, the contract dispute was a bigger deal than originally thought, and he wants to get back to calling his own plays.

I do hope he stays though. Tennessee just got another 2 years of recruiting probation so I don't know why he would consider them right now.

At first I thought you meant Cale, and was shocked. Then when I realized it was Mike, I was more shocked. I can't imagine him ever leaving OSU, its his deal. Almost like if Switzer had left OU in his heyday.

You'd think that Mike could do whatever he wanted as long as Pickens is alive. Pickens is probably tired of the oral pleasuring Holder is providing by now, and is ready for a new AD to commence the vacuumation of his wrinkled wonker.

jk the sooner fan
11/18/2012, 04:50 PM
the Vols just got handed an extension on their already NCAA probation - why would you leave a place like osu - even if it is "little brother U'???

BillyBall
11/18/2012, 06:40 PM
For mother****ing Tennessee... Are you kidding me? Premier program...

prrriiide
11/18/2012, 06:47 PM
The fans will openly revolt if it's Petrino. NOBODY in Knoxville wants him.

Gruden is a pipe dream. With Tennessee's financial woes in the AD, they can't afford him anyway.

I don't know that they'll want Gundy, either. They want someone that has worked in the SEC and has HC experience.

To me that says Cutcliffe. There aren't too many better offensive minds around and he grooms QBs like nobody's business. The problem is that he isn't a particularly dynamic recruiter, which is why Duke is such a good fit for him.

Another scenario being discussed in hushed tones amongst fans is to bring Fulmer back to stabilize the program and go after a permanent solution down the road. Essentially do what Snyder did at KSU. The problem with that scenario is that Fulmer is no Snyder, and I doubt Jimmy Haslam (Tennessee's T. Boone) will stand for it.

There's also a lot of smoke around Jimbo Fisher. Dave Hart (UT AD) was his AD at Free Shoes, and apparently Fisher is really butting heads with the current AD. But I'll believe that when I see it.

But at least all my neighbors are relieved that Dooley is out. Most wanted him gone after the Lube-U fiasco last year.

Sabanball
11/18/2012, 07:15 PM
The fans will openly revolt if it's Petrino. NOBODY in Knoxville wants him.

Gruden is a pipe dream. With Tennessee's financial woes in the AD, they can't afford him anyway.

I don't know that they'll want Gundy, either. They want someone that has worked in the SEC and has HC experience.

To me that says Cutcliffe. There aren't too many better offensive minds around and he grooms QBs like nobody's business. The problem is that he isn't a particularly dynamic recruiter, which is why Duke is such a good fit for him.

Another scenario being discussed in hushed tones amongst fans is to bring Fulmer back to stabilize the program and go after a permanent solution down the road. Essentially do what Snyder did at KSU. The problem with that scenario is that Fulmer is no Snyder, and I doubt Jimmy Haslam (Tennessee's T. Boone) will stand for it.

There's also a lot of smoke around Jimbo Fisher. Dave Hart (UT AD) was his AD at Free Shoes, and apparently Fisher is really butting heads with the current AD. But I'll believe that when I see it.

But at least all my neighbors are relieved that Dooley is out. Most wanted him gone after the Lube-U fiasco last year.

Pride,

Are you hearing anything about Kirby Smart? Seems to me if there is a candidate without HC experience that would be considered, it would be him. Keep in mind the Dave Hart/Bama connection.

SoonerFrog
11/18/2012, 10:13 PM
Pride,

Are you hearing anything about Kirby Smart? Seems to me if there is a candidate without HC experience that would be considered, it would be him. Keep in mind the Dave Hart/Bama connection.

I live in 37919 as well...KS is being talked about around campus but not in the top flight, and the fans are not thrilled about hiring another Baman after the disaster that is Sunseri. Of course, the same fans think Gruden and Stoops are totally realistic possibilties.
:rolleyes:

8timechamps
11/18/2012, 10:30 PM
the Vols just got handed an extension on their already NCAA probation - why would you leave a place like osu - even if it is "little brother U'???

Tennessee is a big time gig. It's not Oklahoma or Texas big, but it's close. They've been down for a while, but they still pack that 100,000+ stadium every weekend. The right coach can make that program the next LSU.

Still, I can't imagine Gundy leaving OSU. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if he did, but I just can't believe he isn't already in his dream job.

stoopified
11/19/2012, 08:20 AM
I don't see how he's gotten so much money at IA. He was hired the same
years that Stoops was at OU and has 40 fewer wins and is paid over $3mil,
went to the Orange Bowl once, and several second tier bowls and their AD
just LOVES him, says he pays him to keep him, beats me...

You can't compare the OU and Iowa job, Bob would not have 147 wins ,an NC, and 7CCs if he had taken the Iowa job(I'm guessing about 120 wins and a couple of CCs) Iowa does not have the resources,tradition, or facilities to achieve anything much beyond what they have already done.Kirk is the second coach in Iowa history to reach 100 wins,trailing only Hayden Fry.I do think if he doesn't produce a winning season next year,he WILL be on the hotseat.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/19/2012, 09:03 AM
Is Jon Gruden going to be a candidate somewhere this yr? Or any yr?

Not in the college game.