PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones...

OUster
11/18/2012, 11:31 AM
Great, great game last night! He was slinging it around with pinpoint passes, running out of the pocket, stepping into the pocket, not rattling with 30 seconds to go...awesome performance! Since alot of folks flat out crap on the kid when he has a bad game, I think it is only fair to discuss him today. One play in the third, the pocket surrounds him, he steps into the pocket to avoid the pressure from the outside, and Landry flat out rockets a 28 yardstrike to Shepard up the middle. I must have rewound that play 4 times!

Soonerus
11/18/2012, 11:32 AM
Agreed, Great job Landry...

SoonerSon
11/18/2012, 12:09 PM
Great, great game last night! He was slinging it around with pinpoint passes, running out of the pocket, stepping into the pocket, not rattling with 30 seconds to go...awesome performance! Since alot of folks flat out crap on the kid when he has a bad game, I think it is only fair to discuss him today. One play in the third, the pocket surrounds him, he steps into the pocket to avoid the pressure from the outside, and Landry flat out rockets a 28 yardstrike to Shepard up the middle. I must have rewound that play 4 times!

Totally agree, OUster. I've cursed Landry in some of his past performances (e.g. KSU), but last night was one of his finest games under a lot of pressure. Great performances by Stills, Saunders, Shepard, Brown made for an exciting game, offensively. Last TD to Stills on 4th down with :20 secs was as a nail biter. Congrats to Landry and the Offense. No props to the D, though. Get it together, Stoops!

MichiganSooner
11/18/2012, 12:10 PM
Anyone have his stats for success on 3rd and 4th down conversions?

FaninAma
11/18/2012, 12:16 PM
His accuracy was amazing.It was Sam Bradford type of accuracy. If he can finish the year with that type of accuracy and clamness in the pocket he will definitely improve his drat stock.

olevetonahill
11/18/2012, 12:19 PM
Anyone have his stats for success on 3rd and 4th down conversions?

Third-Down Conversions 9 of 15
Fourth-Down Conversions 1 of 1

Think Bell got 1 er 2 of the 3rds tho.

smooth3d
11/18/2012, 12:21 PM
Yes way to go Landry! We are so conditioned to lose close games, but this is better then a blowout! Its more stressful but better it builds character!

Seamus
11/18/2012, 12:28 PM
One of the finest quarterback games in OU history. Arguing against that is absurd.

olevetonahill
11/18/2012, 12:31 PM
C11 posted this at the Hideout

http://espn.go.com/colleges/oklahoma/football/story/_/id/8647931/oklahoma-sooners-quarterback-landry-jones-leads-game-winning-drive-first-time

BoulderSooner79
11/18/2012, 12:56 PM
Third-Down Conversions 9 of 15
Fourth-Down Conversions 1 of 1

Think Bell got 1 er 2 of the 3rds tho.

And it sure seemed like many of those 3rd downs were 3rd and long after unsuccessful running plays.

King Crimson
11/18/2012, 01:03 PM
C11 posted this at the Hideout

http://espn.go.com/colleges/oklahoma/football/story/_/id/8647931/oklahoma-sooners-quarterback-landry-jones-leads-game-winning-drive-first-time

glad LJ checked off....not a fan of the fade route mostly.

Salt City Sooner
11/18/2012, 01:46 PM
His accuracy was amazing.It was Sam Bradford type of accuracy. If he can finish the year with that type of accuracy and clamness in the pocket he will definitely improve his drat stock.
Fewer people will be saying drat after one of his passes? :D

TUSooner
11/18/2012, 01:50 PM
I'm delighted he led OU's first 4th-Q-comeback win since 2007 (in 16 tries, according to ESPiN).

cleller
11/18/2012, 01:52 PM
I mentioned this on another thread, but I think a big photo of Landry yelling that change to Stills should be in the Switzer Center. Landry was so on target last night, its hard to believe.
Put any other QB in the NCAA in there last night, and some of those throws would not have been there, and the outcome would have changed.

King Crimson
11/18/2012, 01:54 PM
I mentioned this on another thread, but I think a big photo of Landry yelling that change to Stills should be in the Switzer Center. Landry was so on target last night, its hard to believe.
Put any other QB in the NCAA in there last night, and some of those throws would not have been there, and the outcome would have changed.

works for me, though i might put him up in the golden cowboy hat first.

cleller
11/18/2012, 02:14 PM
works for me, though i might put him up in the golden cowboy hat first.

Definitely a great shot. Beating Texas was such a simple accomplishment, though.

SoonerStormchaser
11/18/2012, 03:03 PM
One of the finest quarterback games in OU history. Arguing against that is absurd.

Really? So what about that boneheaded INT that lead to 7 WVU points when we were poised to go up by 21?
What about the attempts to players in triple coverage that were nearly picked off?

He had two great clutch drives on the last two series, but he still wasn't up to his normal standards (Texas/Tech).

kevpks
11/18/2012, 03:36 PM
What an amazing performance by Landry. We'll win out and he'll cap off a great career if he keeps playing like this. However, there is still a decent chance that towel was intercepted.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/849/w3009db58f04cb0bc23d34a.jpg

LawtonBoy74
11/18/2012, 03:53 PM
Really? So what about that boneheaded INT that lead to 7 WVU points when we were poised to go up by 21?
What about the attempts to players in triple coverage that were nearly picked off?

He had two great clutch drives on the last two series, but he still wasn't up to his normal standards (Texas/Tech).

Fans like you are so hard to please!! What we have is a very great QB on our hands who had arguably the best game ever played by a Sooner QB in the history of the program and you are ripping him for a couple of mistakes he made. Landry is an amazing QB. I'm willing to go on the line and say if Landry was our QB when we played Florida back in 2008 we would have won that game!!! The only issue with Landry is that he has had to play with new receivers/o-line year after year, a terrible defense, and a new offensive coordinator! Given that he has overcame all of that adversity and change in our program I am willing to say that he is the greastest QB to play for this program! Appreciate what you have and enjoy the present. The future at QB will not be as good as Landry Jones...and I will eat crow if I'm wrong about that. Thank you

EatLeadCommie
11/18/2012, 04:04 PM
I thought it was typical Landry last night. I knew he'd put up big yards against their pass defense, which is the worst in the country. I had no doubt that we'd score on the last drive. He made some great throws last night for sure. One that he had early in the game was especially ridiculous. It was a little floater to Clay for about a 25 yard gain that seemed to hang up there forever.

But he also made a couple of horrendous throws. The interception was one and the dropped interception was another.

As I said, it was typical Landry. Moments of greatness and moments of me shaking my head and cursing at the TV.

EatLeadCommie
11/18/2012, 04:06 PM
Fans like you are so hard to please!! What we have is a very great QB on our hands who had arguably the best game ever played by a Sooner QB in the history of the program and you are ripping him for a couple of mistakes he made. Landry is an amazing QB. I'm willing to go on the line and say if Landry was our QB when we played Florida back in 2008 we would have won that game!!! The only issue with Landry is that he has had to play with new receivers/o-line year after year, a terrible defense, and a new offensive coordinator! Given that he has overcame all of that adversity and change in our program I am willing to say that he is the greastest QB to play for this program! Appreciate what you have and enjoy the present. The future at QB will not be as good as Landry Jones...and I will eat crow if I'm wrong about that. Thank you

You must be stoned out of your mind. Sam played well in that game. His two picks were both off the hands of his receivers.

jk the sooner fan
11/18/2012, 04:13 PM
put me in the "Landry Jones fan" camp - he's the most unappreciated QB by his own fan base in all of college football

JiminyChristmas
11/18/2012, 04:31 PM
Landry was awesome last night. Yeah, one boneheaded throw on a first down, but great outside of that.

I thought it was really cool how Stills gave the subtle head nod back to Landry when he audibled to the slant on the game winner. It was as if he was saying "we got this" back to his QB.

Great job guys!

cjames317
11/18/2012, 05:41 PM
Landry and Kenny put the team on their backs last night. With the way OUr defense played, they were the difference between winning and losing. Thanks to them and congratulations on a great win!

FaninAma
11/18/2012, 05:59 PM
EatLead, I was with you until the Florida game comment. Bradford played more than well enough to win that game.

LawtonBoy74
11/18/2012, 06:16 PM
Give Landry a good O-Line and a great defense and the sky is the limit for him!! He has his bonehead moments but those moments usually come when he does not have good protection. Every QB is not as good when they have pressure in their face...even the great ones!! Landry Jones will go down as the greatest QB in our program and a handful of our fans will not even appreciate the good he has done and the goals he has accomplished. Sure he doesn't have a National Championship or Heisman Trophy, but if you ask me he has exceeded original expectations that our fanbase had for him when he had to play unexpectedly in his RS freshman year and he has continued to progress. I don't understand where anyone in their right mind could even say that he is not good or that they wanted him to leave early last year. It's just crazy!!

Stooper
11/18/2012, 06:37 PM
That was as clutch as a performance I have ever seen from an OU quarterback during the Stoops era. Boomer Sooner!