PDA

View Full Version : BellDozer package

nighttrain12
11/18/2012, 01:32 AM
If the West Virginia defense can stop him 3 out of 5 times tonight, then that should be a sign to do something different with it.

How about letting him pass from time to time? All he does is take the snap and then wait 3 seconds and try to run off tackle. It's not working anymore.

VA Sooner
11/18/2012, 02:09 AM
I agree. That nice fake run and then pass to Millard during the Notre Dame game was a thing of beauty. Time to mix it up a bit.

sendbaht
11/18/2012, 07:30 AM
I've sure enjoy it but we do need to mix it up some..maybe instead of waiting 3 seconds he waits 2...or pass 50% of the time....still it's been great..

Since71ASooner4Life
11/18/2012, 08:00 AM
It is a tool that has its place. It will work most times against weaker teams who we dominate up front, but it will consistently fail against good defenses that know when its coming. it might help get us to a big bowl game next year, but forget about using it to win that game

MichiganSooner
11/18/2012, 08:46 AM
Why not leave Landry in there and hand the ball off? Bell and Millard could both be in as running backs. Either big boy would be given the ball or Landry could pass?

thecrimsoncrusader
11/18/2012, 11:06 AM
They need to have Bell run more off-tackle than up the gut, but initially take a step or two up the middle to suck the defense in, but then cut off to the left or right off-tackle. It allows him to build up a little more momentum so that his 6'6" 250lb frame becomes a simple matter of physics. He's been more successful doing that than straight up the gut. Of course, next season, it will be much more effective when the opposing defense doesn't have the slightest clue to whether he is going to run or pass since he will be on the field all of the time instead of just for special packages/scenarios.

freshchris05
11/18/2012, 11:12 AM
Why not leave Landry in there and hand the ball off? Bell and Millard could both be in as running backs. Either big boy would be given the ball or Landry could pass?

I saw Michigan do something similar with their two QBs. I think that could be a neat wrinkle.

colleyvillesooner
11/18/2012, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't be suprised to see some kind of cool wrinkle in the bowl game.

nighttrain12
11/18/2012, 01:35 PM

I'd like to see that against OSU, a more important game for us.

yermom
11/18/2012, 01:59 PM
well, something with time to get it right...

they should have been passing out of it against patsy teams to make the better teams afraid of it

hvhurricane
11/18/2012, 04:58 PM

I would. Bob has shown consistently over the past 10 years that they are not going to add anything during the bowl practices.

Collier11
11/18/2012, 05:03 PM
it doesnt work anymore like it did, time to tweak it or scrap it

OkieThunderLion
11/18/2012, 05:09 PM

Bit of knee-jerk. The Belldozer package worked great just last week.

The problem yesterday was with the LG/C/RG getting over-matching in run blocking. Doesn't happen every week. But there are no magic formations that can overcome that.

Stick w/ the Belldozer. OU has had overall great success w/ it. Teams aren't "catching on". It still comes down to blocking guys.

JiminyChristmas
11/18/2012, 05:12 PM

The problem yesterday was with the LG/C/RG getting over-matching in run blocking. Doesn't happen every week.

Agreed. The problem was the penetration we gave up in that package. Could have been more related to another Olineman going down. The package itself is still effective.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/18/2012, 05:58 PM
It looks to me that teams are selling out and sending everyone. Flying through the gaps. Misdirection pitch or playaction should be WIDE open.

Collier11
11/18/2012, 06:34 PM

The problem yesterday was with the LG/C/RG getting over-matching in run blocking. Doesn't happen every week. But there are no magic formations that can overcome that.

Stick w/ the Belldozer. OU has had overall great success w/ it. Teams aren't "catching on". It still comes down to blocking guys.

Agreed. The problem was the penetration we gave up in that package. Could have been more related to another Olineman going down. The package itself is still effective.

Problem is, im not a knee jerk kinda guy. Hell I stuck by BV longer than I shoulda. I like the Belldozer, I think it is effective. Problem is that teams know what we are going to do as we run the same play every time. It had a hand in costing us the game against Kstate, it has been stuffed in 3 of the last 4 games more than it ever has. Bell keeps fumbling (not this week), and we are taking the ball out of Landrys hands and lets be honest, Landry has played pretty darn well this year. So again, it needs to be tweaked, used less, or scrapped IMO

C&CDean
11/18/2012, 07:04 PM
Why in the **** do we have to have a new Belldozer thread every week? Seriously.

jkjsooner
11/18/2012, 07:16 PM

Do you expect Landry to block? If not we lose a blocker.

And if I remember correctly, we did try to throw out of that package last year and Bell threw a really bad INT.

OkieThunderLion
11/18/2012, 07:41 PM
Problem is, im not a knee jerk kinda guy. Hell I stuck by BV longer than I shoulda. I like the Belldozer, I think it is effective. Problem is that teams know what we are going to do as we run the same play every time. It had a hand in costing us the game against Kstate, it has been stuffed in 3 of the last 4 games more than it ever has. Bell keeps fumbling (not this week), and we are taking the ball out of Landrys hands and lets be honest, Landry has played pretty darn well this year. So again, it needs to be tweaked, used less, or scrapped IMO

I think it's 3 plays. Inside zone, outside zone, and counter.

I don't remember fumbling issues other than K-State.

Collier11
11/18/2012, 07:46 PM
Blake has fumbled out of the formation 3 times

OkieThunderLion
11/18/2012, 07:55 PM
Fumble count this year...
D Williams 3 (2 lost)
J Brown 3 (1 lost)
D Whaley 2 (1 lost)
L Jones 2 (1 lost)
Team/Ikard 2
B Bell 1 (1 lost)
J McFarland 1 (1 lost)
T Metoyer 1
T Millard 1
S Shepard 1

Collier11
11/18/2012, 08:12 PM
may have been bad snaps then, there have been multiple times where the ball was on the ground in the belldozer

tulsaoilerfan
11/18/2012, 08:16 PM
Im still not sure why they don't try to pass again; teams are putting 10 in the box leaving Stills in single coverage on the outside, which he should be able to win most of the time

nighttrain12
11/19/2012, 01:09 AM
Why in the **** do we have to have a new Belldozer thread every week? Seriously.

The lack of execution of it on the last drive against W.Va. almost cost us the game. We need to get it right for those damn Aggies!

BoulderSooner79
11/19/2012, 01:21 AM
Im still not sure why they don't try to pass again; teams are putting 10 in the box leaving Stills in single coverage on the outside, which he should be able to win most of the time

I'm glad we didn't try that on that last drive against WVU. Would you really trust Bell to put the ball in the perfect spot in that situation? He gets picked and the game is over.

picasso
11/19/2012, 08:29 AM
I thought we got a first down out of it at WV? And, I'm pretty sure he had a 55 yard run two weeks ago right?
Good thing some of you guys weren't the ones fighting ze Germans.

trpltongue
11/19/2012, 08:32 AM
I see 3 issues with that package as it sits right now.

1) On 3rd and a yard, just line up under center and let the 6'6" guy press forward into the pile for the first down. There is no need to take a shotgun snap in this scenario. He could just about fall over and gain a yard.
2) Offensive linemen need to hold their initial blocks longer than 1/2 second. When Bell was stopped early in the game I counted 3 offensive lineman that barely touched their D-line counterpart before moving onto their second level blocks.
3) Offensive lineman need to account for their blocking responsibilities. On the last TD drive when 99 stuffed Bell, Bronson Irwin didn't block anyone. He fired out of his stance and literaly just stood up without touching anyone and allowed 99 to come through completely untouched.

I think it's a great set, and could be incredible with some play action passing involved. Because the defense is selling out 10 guys in the box, Millard, or Ripkowski (sp?) could easily slip out of the backfield after a chip block and be wide open. A stutter step towards the line by Bell would cause the LB's and Safeties to crash, then a quick toss to one of the FB's would easily result in TD's all day. Then if safeties or LB's start dropping off the line to cover the FB's you smash it back up the gut again.

It is a great set, but it could be so much more if weren't so damn stubborn or scared to do something with it.

deweydw
11/19/2012, 10:49 AM
There were a few instances that I saw, Bell did not follow his blockers. (Millard and Rip) They would go off tackle and Bell would shoot up the middle and get stuffed.

PrideMom
11/19/2012, 10:52 AM
Blake needs to be able to see the defense and know where he can run...or change the play to a pass when he sees them all bunched up like that....

BoulderSooner79
11/19/2012, 10:58 AM
Only 3 more games this season, so I doubt we'll see any big changes to this package. If we are running it next year, it will mean that Bell didn't win the starting QB job.

yermom
11/19/2012, 11:41 AM
a screen to Millard or a Tebow pass seems like it would be ugly. i'm sure we will see that at some point next year, but not sure about this year