PDA

View Full Version : Leave it to the UN

okie52
11/14/2012, 04:47 PM
UN says access to contraception a human right, better family planning would cut health costs

11-14-2012 06:24 AM CST

GENEVA (Associated Press) --
The United Nations says access to contraception is a universal human right that could dramatically improve the lives of women and children in poor countries.

It is the first time the U.N. Population Fund's annual report explicitly describes family planning as a human right.

It effectively declares that legal, cultural and financial barriers to accessing contraception and other family planning measures are an infringement of women's rights.

The report released Wednesday isn't binding and has no legal effect on national laws.

The global body also says increasing funding for family planning by a further $4.1 billion could save $11.3 billion annually in health bills for mothers and newborns in poor countries.

The U.N. doesn't count abortion among the measures.

Hey I'm for giving it away at no cost....but a right?

LiveLaughLove
11/14/2012, 04:50 PM

Well, why not. The USA was the last sane country standing. They just know the obvious now. We have truly joined the rank and file of the Idiocracy.

KantoSooner
11/14/2012, 04:51 PM
I think this is one of those dealios where 'access' is the 'right'. So, people shouldn't stop you from getting your own....but nobody else has to pay for it for you.

I remember getting stopped by an Irish customs guy back in the 1970's who told me that the condoms in my toilet kit were going to have to go because they were illegal in Ireland.

And, damnit! I'd paid good money for candy cane striped jobbies.

rock on sooner
11/14/2012, 04:52 PM

You're right, Okie, not even close to a right, but it is a worthy
goal to provide the choice to women everywhere.

okie52
11/14/2012, 04:56 PM
I think this is one of those dealios where 'access' is the 'right'. So, people shouldn't stop you from getting your own....but nobody else has to pay for it for you.

I remember getting stopped by an Irish customs guy back in the 1970's who told me that the condoms in my toilet kit were going to have to go because they were illegal in Ireland.

And, damnit! I'd paid good money for candy cane striped jobbies.

It effectively declares that legal, cultural and financial barriers to accessing contraception

I'm just reading financial barriers and thinking they want it given away....which I would support but not because we have to.

Scott D
11/14/2012, 06:40 PM
I'm all for third world countries having access to birth control.

yermom
11/14/2012, 06:47 PM
some people have reading issues.

it says "access" is the issue

further, it says 4 billion could save 11 billion, so for every dollar you spend, you get almost two back.

so yeah, maybe paying for poor people to have free birth control might be a good idea

Tiptonsooner
11/14/2012, 07:04 PM
You can lead a horse to water, and all that.......

LiveLaughLove
11/14/2012, 07:23 PM
some people have reading issues.

it says "access" is the issue

further, it says 4 billion could save 11 billion, so for every dollar you spend, you get almost two back.

so yeah, maybe paying for poor people to have free birth control might be a good idea

I think it's that whole "universal human right" thing, but you know that.

You try to only point out the most innocuous part and leave off the most inflammatory part, and ask what's the big deal. Nice.

Of course, if it is a "right" then churches worldwide would be forced to provide it against their religious beliefs.

I'm all for providing it, but making it a right takes it to a whole other level.

yermom
11/14/2012, 07:25 PM
so what is the sinister part i'm glazing over then?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/15/2012, 12:27 AM
so what is the sinister part i'm glazing over then?WOW!!!(if you're joking...good one)