PDA

View Full Version : Illegals...here's the payoff!!!!

okie52
11/14/2012, 02:39 PM
Obama says immigration reform can start early next year, should include path to legal status

11-14-2012 01:14 PM CST

WASHINGTON (Associated Press) --
President Barack Obama says America must "seize the moment" to seek an overhaul of the immigration system and he expects that work to start soon after his inauguration for a second term.

In his first news conference after winning re-election, Obama says conversations are already taking place among his staff and members of Congress.

The president says comprehensive immigration reform should include a path to legal status for those who came to the U.S. illegally seeking work. He says those immigrants should pay back taxes, learn English and potentially pay fines.

Obama is urging lawmakers to codify his decision earlier this year to stop deporting young illegal immigrants brought here by their parents.

He says the country needs to build on momentum from the last week's election.

See secure the border anywhere in this statement?

okie52
11/14/2012, 03:06 PM
Obama Promises Swift Action On Immigration In Meeting With Progressives
Posted: 11/13/2012 7:59 pm EST Updated: 11/14/2012 11:21 am EST

President Barack Obama promised progressive leaders in a meeting Tuesday that he would act quickly on immigration reform. (AP Photo/Julie Jacobson, File)
WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama lifted the spirits of a room full of progressive leaders on Tuesday when he pledged to tackle immigration reform early in his second term, half a dozen sources either in the room or with knowledge of the conversation told The Huffington Post.

"He said that they want to move quickly on immigration reform," one attendee said.

The president has said before that immigration reform will be a major priority after his inauguration in January. But his vow behind closed doors signaled to at least one advocate in the room that he is "dead serious" about making a push for a bill as soon as possible. Past pledges have come up short. But for those gathered at the White House, the comments sparked renewed optimism.

One source, who like others spoke on the condition of anonymity because it was an off-the-record meeting, said Obama brought up immigration reform, unprompted, in his opening remarks -- a stark difference from tense previous talks in which he's been prodded by reform advocates to address the topic.

"I've been in a number of meetings with him on this topic, it's been pretty rough, but this one, the passion, intensity, seriousness -- I was pretty struck," the source said. "If there's one thing he was crystal clear he was going to get done in 2013 ... it was immigration reform. He was going to lean into it, he was sure Republicans were going to come to the table. It was sort of what he's said before, but with huge conviction."

The White House did not return a request for comment.

Tuesday's meeting was largely focused on taxes, the economy, and the so-called "fiscal cliff." And though Obama talked about immigration reform multiple times -- according to those familiar with the meeting -- the details of what type of legislation he would push were left vague. A third source, who was at the meeting, said the president "reiterated his desire to move on immigration" but "gave no details on the scope" of what he was hoping to accomplish.

Obama said repeatedly during the campaign that immigration reform would be a part of his second term, but advocates had reasons to be skeptical. He made the same vow during his 2008 campaign, but a push for a comprehensive reform bill never came. Obama said in September that it was a mistake to break his promise on immigration, blaming it partially on obstructionism from Republicans.

This year, though, there's growing momentum that may turn that trend around. Former GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney lost the 2012 election after receiving only about 27 percent of the Latino vote -- a smaller percentage than Republican candidates did in 2008, 2004 and 2000. Many of those Latino voters support comprehensive immigration reform and were put off by the Republicans' views.

Obama noted those results during his meeting with progressives and labor leaders on Tuesday, with the implicit understanding that the vote tallies offered him a mandate to pursue reform, according to a source in the room.

There is also widespread support among the broader population. A HuffPost/YouGov poll released Monday found that two-thirds of Americans believe immigration reform should be a priority during Obama's second term, although they differed on how it should be completed.

Congressional leaders in the House and Senate have said they will work next year to pass a bill, and senators are already in talks about a bipartisan solution, Sens. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said Sunday.

Ryan Grim contributed to this report..

okie52
11/14/2012, 03:07 PM
Bowing to foreign leaders is nothing compared to Obama's groveling to Latinos.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/14/2012, 04:06 PM
. what is with headlines that read: "...meeting with progressives"

I thought teddy roosevelt and his posse were dead.

TUSooner
11/14/2012, 04:09 PM
what is with headlines that read: "...meeting with progressives"

Just don't tell anybody that TR was a Republican.

okie52
11/14/2012, 04:11 PM
Just don't tell anybody that TR was a Republican.

He "progressed" on out of that to the bullmoose.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/14/2012, 04:19 PM
No, never, ever.... We gave the free pass once under Reagan. Never again. Make the penalties harsher!!!

okie52
11/14/2012, 04:21 PM

Too bad no one is taping that meeting. We might hear how he hates that ungrateful 53%.

KantoSooner
11/14/2012, 04:47 PM

Oh, he's dead, but the hodge podge of ideas that make up the 'Progressive' platform never really go away. Like cockroaches flushed down a toilet, they just keep coming back. Hell, people even have 'music' festivals to honor Woody Guthrie. It's inexplicable.

rock on sooner
11/14/2012, 05:01 PM
Nope, no secure borders, but, doncha think some Pubs will use "secure the
borders better" somewhere in the process? If they don't, then the Pub party
is dead, or at least brain dead.

LiveLaughLove
11/14/2012, 05:04 PM
No one is going to seriously talk about securing the borders. Only a fool would even think they would.

If we haven't secured them in the last 100 years, why would anyone expect to do so now.

The only hope of securing the borders to any extent is for Texas and Arizona to go off the reservation and do their own securing and have a long protracted stand off with the feds and refuse to allow them access to anything in their states.

Short of that, nothings happening but more flooding in daily.

okie52
11/14/2012, 05:06 PM

Schumer and Graham were on agreement on secure borders in exchange for amnesty the last time this came up....but what is defined as secure borders and what is defined a pathway to citizenship remains to be seen.

rock on sooner
11/14/2012, 05:13 PM
Well, LLL, I guess I'm in good company, you know, the "fool's" at least
two Senators are foolish enough to talk about it.

Tighter border security, harsher penalties for hiring an illegal, the illegals
come forward for the path, submit to background/criminal check with
any felon sent back, longer terms for staying in "the Dream Act", provisional
SS card, pay taxes, stay out of trouble are all measures that could help.
You guys on the right need to accept that it is coming, all the belly aching
in the world won't change that, even though it probably makes you feel
better.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/14/2012, 05:39 PM
Schumer and Graham were on agreement on secure borders in exchange for amnesty the last time this came up....but what is defined as secure borders and what is defined a pathway to citizenship remains to be seen.

I've been asking about the meaning of "secure borders" for years and rarely does anyone offer a definition. 50% of those illegally present pass through a port-of-entry, not the obscure desert/mountain crossing. Nothing that taller fences and more border patrol would cure.

And the language of "pathway to citizenship" is sometimes used, but other times it is pathway to legal status - which may be different.

The other thing that is sometimes omitted in articles is the non-immigration side of the equation. Worker visas are non-immigrant visas. The reason illegal immigration didn't stop after the 1987 IRCA is because they didn't include non-immigrant visas in the mix. Once field workers, hotel maids, and dish washers become upwardly mobile and join the middle class, lower level jobs open up for others.

I need to send Obama a note on my koisk-at-every-port-of-entry idea.

LiveLaughLove
11/14/2012, 06:58 PM
Well, LLL, I guess I'm in good company, you know, the "fool's" at least
two Senators are foolish enough to talk about it.

Tighter border security, harsher penalties for hiring an illegal, the illegals
come forward for the path, submit to background/criminal check with
any felon sent back, longer terms for staying in "the Dream Act", provisional
SS card, pay taxes, stay out of trouble are all measures that could help.
You guys on the right need to accept that it is coming, all the belly aching
in the world won't change that, even though it probably makes you feel
better.

I have no doubt that it could be done rock. My point is it is always talked about but never actually done. Just the amnesty part get's actually done.

The dems want them here because it's voters for them. The pubs want them here because it's cheap labor. The pubs are by far the more idiotic of the two, because that cheap labor will eventually become voters and will vote them out of existence.

Both sides are willing to depress our labor force in favor of the illegals for their own selfishness. It won't change.

The thing that hacks me about the dem side is they act like they actually care about them outside of their future votes. You notice the dems aren't screaming for Cubans to be allowed in by the droves.

rock on sooner
11/14/2012, 09:24 PM
I have no doubt that it could be done rock. My point is it is always talked about but never actually done. Just the amnesty part get's actually done.

The dems want them here because it's voters for them. The pubs want them here because it's cheap labor. The pubs are by far the more idiotic of the two, because that cheap labor will eventually become voters and will vote them out of existence.

Both sides are willing to depress our labor force in favor of the illegals for their own selfishness. It won't change.

The thing that hacks me about the dem side is they act like they actually care about them outside of their future votes. You notice the dems aren't screaming for Cubans to be allowed in by the droves.

Interesting you bring up the Cubans, it is way past time to lift the sanctions
on Cuba. Without too much effort, there could be another source for US goods.
Raul wants to do that. Fidel is only a figurehead now and will just fade away.
With Cuba opened up Florida will be a happy camper for BOTH parties and all
would benefit. Aw hell, that makes too much sense..my bad.

rock on sooner
11/14/2012, 09:29 PM
You know, it really is a no brainer to fix the illegal issue. Doesn't take
much for both sides to agree. With some of the Pub ideas now plus
a more open immigrant issue and some women issues you guys could
actually be a better party and, just maybe, we could all get along, as
Rodney once said, and even help the country. Hmmm, whaddya think?

okie52
11/14/2012, 09:48 PM

So the dems don't want secure borders?

rock on sooner
11/14/2012, 09:52 PM
So the dems don't want secure borders?

You know better than that. Dems gotta leave some stuff fer
the other side...:biggrin:

diverdog
11/14/2012, 11:04 PM
See secure the border anywhere in this statement?

Did you listen to his speech?

okie52
11/14/2012, 11:12 PM
You know better than that. Dems gotta leave some stuff fer
the other side...:biggrin:

Heh...we appreciate it.

okie52
11/14/2012, 11:14 PM
Did you listen to his speech?

No.

diverdog
11/14/2012, 11:30 PM
No.

Here:

http://news.yahoo.com/transcript-obama-press-conference-200922521.html

okie52
11/15/2012, 03:44 AM
Here:

http://news.yahoo.com/transcript-obama-press-conference-200922521.html

That's his press conference.

Obama says he wants to continue border security in the same strong way he has already been doing it....now thats laughable. And he wants to punish employers that hire illegals
and take advantage of them. Well that appears (given his past history) to mean he'll only punish employers if they take advantage of illegals, not for hiring them. He fought an AZ law all the way through the supreme court that punished employers that hired illegals (fortunately he lost).

The pubs are going to cave on this issue and I won't forgive them, but at least they could push hard for real border security and punishment of employers.

Harry Beanbag
11/15/2012, 07:29 AM
The defenders of this administration are ****ing brain dead.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/15/2012, 10:21 AM
If there is an agreement that allows the illegals a path into this country, i will work tirelessly to ensure defeat of everyone of the traitors that vote for that ****.

olevetonahill
11/15/2012, 10:30 AM
My Solution. Put Claymores all along the border only allow folk to cross at well guarded crossings. Shoot on sight anyone trying to cross illegally/and or here already illegally. Tell em they got 48 hours to get their asses back to mesico or they gonna be shot as terrorists .Make it an Open season type deal so Us red neck ****in hillbillys can have some fun

What I win?

okie52
11/15/2012, 11:36 AM
My Solution. Put Claymores all along the border only allow folk to cross at well guarded crossings. Shoot on sight anyone trying to cross illegally/and or here already illegally. Tell em they got 48 hours to get their asses back to mesico or they gonna be shot as terrorists .Make it an Open season type deal so Us red neck ****in hillbillys can have some fun

What I win?

1,000,000 lawnmowers.

olevetonahill
11/15/2012, 11:40 AM
1,000,000 lawnmowers.

Fandayumtastic, Now I just need to find someone to operate em cheap :welcoming:

StoopTroup
11/15/2012, 04:22 PM
The defenders of this administration are ****ing brain dead.

Of course Claymore Mines from Brownsville to San Diego is pretty sane.

KantoSooner
11/15/2012, 04:29 PM
The problem would be with installation. If we took unemployed american factory workers, and gave them the jobs, how many claymores would end up with the 'Toward the enemy' side pointing North?
How many would end up broken, stolen or just laying there in their boxes? (question in case the unemployed American installers were UAW members.)

rock on sooner
11/15/2012, 04:31 PM
Fandayumtastic, Now I just need to find someone to operate em cheap :welcoming:

But, but, ya jus kilt all the cheap help!

okie52
11/15/2012, 04:36 PM
Of course Claymore Mines from Brownsville to San Diego is pretty sane.

I like it although I would be just as happy with land mines, drones and catapults.

rock on sooner
11/15/2012, 04:54 PM
I like it although I would be just as happy with land mines, drones and catapults.

Which way do the catapults catapult?

okie52
11/15/2012, 05:03 PM
Which way do the catapults catapult?

In deportation matters, always to the South.

olevetonahill
11/15/2012, 08:40 PM
But, but, ya jus kilt all the cheap help!

Drats, Well Hell maybe I can get some of those welfare bums . Naw that wont werk cause they wont HMMMMMMM Gonna have to cipher on this sum

rock on sooner
11/15/2012, 08:42 PM
Drats, Well Hell maybe I can get some of those welfare bums . Naw that wont werk cause they wont HMMMMMMM Gonna have to cipher on this sum

Well, while yer at it, figger out the catapult thing, wouldja?

rock on sooner
11/15/2012, 08:43 PM
In deportation matters, always to the South.

But, do we know who is operatin em?

olevetonahill
11/15/2012, 08:44 PM
Well, while yer at it, figger out the catapult thing, wouldja?

I gots it. Ill make Those Illegals work the catapult to send the bad ones back south. Then the ones who worked hard to get the Cat stuff done get to stay and Run my Lawn mowers fer me
Ima ****in genius :snowman: