PDA

View Full Version : Pelosi

okie52
11/14/2012, 11:18 AM
Former Speaker Pelosi chooses to again seek to head Democrats in House of Representatives

11-14-2012 09:42 AM CST |By LAURIE KELLMAN and JIM ABRAMS, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (Associated Press) --
Former House speaker Nancy Pelosi said Wednesday she will run to keep her job as the Democratic leader in the House after a pair of elections that kept the party in the minority there even as Democrats gained seats in the Senate and a second term for President Barack Obama.

"My colleagues made it very clear: `Don't even think of leaving,' " she recalled at a news conference, surrounded by women lawmakers. "I have made a decision to submit my name to my colleagues to once again serve as the House Democratic leader."

Republicans reacted with derision.

"There is no better person to preside over the most liberal House Democratic caucus in history than the woman who is solely responsible for relegating it to a prolonged minority status," said Paul Lindsay, spokesman for the National Republican Campaign Committee. "This decision signals that House Democrats have absolutely no interest in regaining the trust and confidence of the American people who took the speaker's gavel away from Nancy Pelosi in the first place," he said.

Pelosi, 72, has represented a San Francisco area district in the House includes becoming the first woman in history to serve as speaker. The tea party-fueled political wave of 2010 forced the gavel from her hand to Rep. John Boehner, an Ohio Republican.

Holding a news conference Wednesday morning, Pelosi said "we're very, very proud" of how large a role women played in the Nov. 6 election.

"We don't have the gavel" of majority status in the House, she said, "but we have unity. I think our caucus this morning demonstrated that very clearly."

"We must have the further empowerment of women," said Pelosi, who noted that when she came to Congress there were 23 women in the House compared to over 60 of the seats in the House. "Not enough. We want more," she said.

Pelosi was a major force behind the passage of Obama's health care overhaul and the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act. Even after the 2010 elections, when her party lost 63 seats, Pelosi was reelected Democratic leader by her caucus.

Pelosi's colleagues had said for days that the top leadership post was hers if she wanted it in the next Congress that begins in January. She refused to reveal her plans for a week after the Nov. 6 elections failed to give Democrats gain they wanted.

It was a disappointing, but not unexpected result of a bitter year of elections that focused on the tight contests for president and control of the Senate. Throughout, Pelosi raised millions of dollars for Democratic House candidates and insisted that the 25 seat gain was within reach. But in the end, Democrats will gain at most eight seats and Republicans will keep their majority.

Waiting in the wings of Democratic ranks was Pelosi's deputy, Democratic Rep. Steny Hoyer of Maryland, the party whip, whom she has known since they were congressional interns, and South Carolina Democrat James Clyburn, assistant to the Democratic leader.

Pelosi is the daughter and sister of former Baltimore mayors. Her father, Thomas D'Alesandro, Jr., served as mayor of Baltimore for 12 years after representing the city for five terms in Congress. Her brother, Thomas D'Alesandro III, also served as mayor.

TUSooner
11/14/2012, 11:33 AM
Yeh, I'm guessing the Dems could do better than her without exerting themselves too much.

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/14/2012, 11:40 AM
yeah, when you hold a press conference stating that the Dems wons the House..and are seriojus about it, i'm pretty sure they could find someone else to represent them. at least know what you are talking about. Her and Uncle joe probably get along just great with the flubs they say. when she said that ( with re: to the ACA) we need to pass it first to find out whats in it...regardless of your politics..that was just stupid. She needs to go. but i will say, having lived in the bay area for 3 looong years now, i can totlaly understand why the people of SF keep her around. a crazy place needs a crazy rep.

LiveLaughLove
11/14/2012, 11:55 AM
Boehner's no better and almost as big government.

FirstandGoal
11/14/2012, 12:04 PM
Funny story that actually happened a couple of years ago.

My nephew used to attend John Ross elementary in Edmond and every year the graduated 5th grade class can take a trip to D.C. My sister went as one of the class parents.

One day I get a text from her that she was sitting in an outdoor cafe with the kids and Pelosi just happened to walk by the sidewalk with a ton of bodyguards.
My immediate response was "Did you try to trip her?"
Her response: "Nah, that would have just been justification for all of the taxpayer money being spent on her personal protection."

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/14/2012, 12:14 PM
Boehner's no better and almost as big government.

agreed. Boner needs to go as well. having that guy as speakeris like having an elevator in an outhouse...it just don't belong

pphilfran
11/14/2012, 12:23 PM
Pelosi and Boehner....a match made in heaven...

One couldn't fight her way out of a paper sack and the other one couldn't run a one pump gas station...but they will lead us to the land of milk and honey...

C&CDean
11/14/2012, 12:36 PM
Does anyone really care? I mean really care? We've proven by our vote that we're ****ing morons and we deserve exactly what we're getting. The only thing is some of y'all think it's groovy, some of y'all wanna keep whining and bitching, and the rest of us are so disgusted WDGAS anymore.

America! **** yeah. Meh.

olevetonahill
11/14/2012, 12:37 PM
Does anyone really care? I mean really care? We've proven by our vote that we're ****ing morons and we deserve exactly what we're getting. The only thing is some of y'all think it's groovy, some of y'all wanna keep whining and bitching, and the rest of us are so disgusted WDGAS anymore.

America! **** yeah. Meh.

I like yer thinkin.

pphilfran
11/14/2012, 12:50 PM

America! **** yeah. Meh.

Who are you that thinks you can tell me when I am allowed to bitch and moan...I hped to throw all the bums out so voted against all incumbents...I wanna get my money's worth so I am gonna complain for 4 friggin years...

HA!

rock on sooner
11/14/2012, 01:02 PM
Who are you that thinks you can tell me when I am allowed to bitch and moan...I hped to throw all the bums out so voted against all incumbents...I wanna get my money's worth so I am gonna complain for 4 friggin years...

HA!

Maybe have ta complain fer jus two years, cause if they dont fix a
lot of these problems by then I think a BUNCH of the bums will
get tossed!

badger
11/14/2012, 01:08 PM
The Dems in the House (and Reps in the Senate) need a leader that will get them the majority.

Whining about the other side's action/inaction will not get them the majority.
Filibustering will not get them the majority.
Partisan bickering will not get them the majority.

It's time for another Contract with America. Who wants to propose it - Dems in the House, or Pubs in the Senate?

pphilfran
11/14/2012, 01:15 PM
The Dems in the House (and Reps in the Senate) need a leader that will get them the majority.

Whining about the other side's action/inaction will not get them the majority.
Filibustering will not get them the majority.
Partisan bickering will not get them the majority.

It's time for another Contract with America. Who wants to propose it - Dems in the House, or Pubs in the Senate?

Evidently one of the twins has taken control of your account....

badger
11/14/2012, 01:17 PM
Evidently one of the twins has taken control of your account....

Mary Kate or Ashley?

pphilfran
11/14/2012, 01:20 PM
Mary Kate or Ashley?

Which on is the dumb one...

cleller
11/14/2012, 02:00 PM
Which on is the dumb one...

Isn't one a vampire now?

Curly Bill
11/14/2012, 02:03 PM
Maybe have ta complain fer jus two years, cause if they dont fix a
lot of these problems by then I think a BUNCH of the bums will
get tossed!

Wanna bet? The American electorate has in no way shown it has enough sense to do this.