PDA

View Full Version : Tough Interior Secretary

okie52
11/14/2012, 10:35 AM
Interior secretary regrets threatening to punch Colo. reporter for questions at campaign event

11-14-2012 08:45 AM CST

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (Associated Press) --
Interior Secretary Ken Salazar is expressing regret after he threatened to punch out a reporter who asked about problems in the government's wild horse program at a campaign event.

His press office says Salazar regrets the exchange on Nov. 6 while on a Colorado tour in support of President Barack Obama's re-election.

A reporter for The Gazette of Colorado Springs, Dave Philipps, asked Salazar about the wild horse program and a horse slaughter proponent who has bought hundreds of the protected animals.

Salazar answered but after the interview accused Phillipps of setting him up and said he would "punch you out" if it happened again.

The Gazette ( http://tinyurl.com/c7wduc3) says it held the audio in hopes of getting an interview with Salazar but horse advocates publicized the exchange first.

___

rock on sooner
11/14/2012, 10:48 AM
From what I can remember about Salazar, he weren't kiddin...

KantoSooner
11/14/2012, 10:49 AM
Not allowing a cull has been a disaster. The horses out breed the carrying capacity of the land and tear it up causing erosion. Right now, there are thousands being housed on ranches in Osage County. The ranchers are paid per animal per year...and forbidden to feed, care for or otherwise interfere with them. Several ranchers I know got rid of their cattle long ago. They just house horses, neutered, until the animals die of old age. It's an amazing waste of money.

diverdog
11/14/2012, 11:02 AM
Not allowing a cull has been a disaster. The horses out breed the carrying capacity of the land and tear it up causing erosion. Right now, there are thousands being housed on ranches in Osage County. The ranchers are paid per animal per year...and forbidden to feed, care for or otherwise interfere with them. Several ranchers I know got rid of their cattle long ago. They just house horses, neutered, until the animals die of old age. It's an amazing waste of money.

I hate to say this but they need to shoot all of the wild horses. Interior is being held hostage by PETA and HSUS.

okie52
11/14/2012, 11:09 AM
Witness: Salazar threatened Colorado reporter

Comments (55) By BYRON TAU | 11/13/12 3:32 PM EST
Interior Secretary Ken Salazar threatened to punch a reporter on a recent trip to Colorado, according to witnesses.

Dave Philipps, a reporter for the Colorado Springs Gazette, tried to ask Salazar about his appointments to the Bureau of Land Management and the wild horse population in the state. Specifically, Philipps had questions about the government's relationship with a wild horse buyer who allegedly sold more than 1,700 horses to Mexican slaughterhouses.

Ginger Kathrens, executive director of the Cloud Foundation, witnessed the exchange between Salazar and a reporter. Her organization put out a release cataloging the exchange and blasting Salazar for his treatment of the press. The group captured video of some of the exchange, but stopped recording before the threat itself.

According to Kathrens, Salazar took two questions from Philipps before disagreeing with his line of questioning.

"Don't you ever ... You know what, you do that again... I'll punch you out," Salazar reportedly told Philipps before ending the interview and walking off.

The alleged incident took place when Salazar was in Colorado on Election Day, on behalf of the Obama campaign.

"The secretary regrets the exchange," Interior spokesman Blake Androff told POLITICO.

"These threats would have been inappropriate coming from anyone, but the fact that it came out of the mouth of the Secretary of the Interior is alarming,” Kathrens said in a statement. “I can’t believe that a top official in Obama’s cabinet could be so defensive.”

Philipps, the reporter, declined to comment.

TUSooner
11/14/2012, 11:11 AM
I hate to say this but they need to shoot all of the wild horses....

I dunno, we may need those horses after Western Civilization collapses later this afternoon.

KantoSooner
11/14/2012, 11:12 AM
I don't think we need to shoot all of them, but an annual cull in which some are shot, some are captured and adopted out (there are never enough 'good homes') and, perhaps, some are sold for slaughter is a far better solution.
Then, again, nature abhors embalances. Have enough horses out there long enough and you WILL get cougars, wolves and packs of feral dogs.

okie52
11/14/2012, 11:19 AM
Are there no glue factories?

LiveLaughLove
11/14/2012, 11:21 AM
Salazar's all hat.

The reporter forgot his role as liberal media and actually asked a mildly hard question about freaking wild horses.

Imagine how he would lose it on actually tough questions that really matter.

With today's media, we'll never know.

sappstuf
11/14/2012, 12:03 PM
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/blog/content/images/blog%20horse%20deli.jpg

pphilfran
11/14/2012, 12:26 PM
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/blog/content/images/blog%20horse%20deli.jpg

lol

pphilfran
11/14/2012, 12:29 PM
I don't see the problem with eating a little horse..I have eatin gator and squirrel...gotta be better than calamari...

sappstuf
11/14/2012, 12:31 PM
I don't see the problem with eating a little horse..I have eatin gator and squirrel...gotta be better than calamari...

Horse is on the menu in Italy.. They make a good late night sandwich at the panini stands.

pphilfran
11/14/2012, 12:33 PM
Horse is on the menu in Italy.. They make a good late night sandwich at the panini stands.

Hi ho Silver! Away......

TitoMorelli
11/14/2012, 12:49 PM
Is Salazar the same guy that swore he'd put his heel on BP's throat?

Looks like McCain is showing a bit more impatience with reporters, too -

QjlvjZJZwfM#!

LiveLaughLove
11/14/2012, 01:07 PM
McCain's always been a jerk.

Tancredo said when he was running for Prez in '08, all of the candidates were cool guys, except for one, McCain.

Said he was a big complete and total jerk. I was not surprised.

I feel for what he went through in Nam, and know he was a tough SOB because the cong wanted to send him home and he refused.

So I respect him, but I don't care for him or his family of air head blondes.

StoopTroup
11/14/2012, 01:26 PM
I dunno, we may need those horses after Western Civilization collapses later this afternoon.

:D

StoopTroup
11/14/2012, 01:29 PM
Salazar's all hat.

The reporter forgot his role as liberal media and actually asked a mildly hard question about freaking wild horses.

Imagine how he would lose it on actually tough questions that really matter.

With today's media, we'll never know.

Especially The Gazette of Colorado Springs....

sappstuf
11/15/2012, 04:18 AM
Hi ho Silver! Away......

I plan on hitting the panini stand tonight after my son's soccer game.. I'll order horse and post a pic.

Curly Bill
11/15/2012, 08:56 AM
Does one eat horseradish on a horse panini?

sappstuf
11/15/2012, 09:08 AM
Does one eat horseradish on a horse panini?

Just the horse.. Hold the radish.