PDA

View Full Version : a question for the "Landry Jones is not good enough for the NFL" crowd

jk the sooner fan
11/12/2012, 08:05 PM
two words

Nick Foles.....

or Colin Kapernick

jk the sooner fan
11/12/2012, 08:07 PM
i'm sorry, thats not really a question is it?

yermom
11/12/2012, 08:11 PM
a couple of backups?

jk the sooner fan
11/12/2012, 08:18 PM
a back up in the NFL tho right?

and you can mark it down - Foles will be the Eagles starting QB next year. Vick has seen his last game as an eagle - no way do they renew his contract and pay him that $16M bonus

Mjcpr
11/12/2012, 08:20 PM
Plus, he looked good against Dallas so he must be a type of prodigy.

jk the sooner fan
11/12/2012, 08:22 PM
what about Nick Foles career at Arizona made you think he was going to be an NFL QB???

yermom
11/12/2012, 08:22 PM
i have two words

Tony Romo

usmc-sooner
11/12/2012, 08:27 PM
Matt Cassell

I'd take LJ over him

Soonermagik
11/12/2012, 08:29 PM
Landry has not really displayed much mobility. Heck, the announcers were ripping him in the Iowa State and Kansas State games for not stepping up in the pocket. One announcer commented that a senior QB should know to do the little things right at that point in his career. The NFL will want more mobility from him due to all the great pass rushers in the league. I think Jones has a lot of work to do before he would be a serious candidate for a starting QB job in the NFL... at least for a good team.

Collier11
11/12/2012, 09:55 PM
Landry is a lot like Weeden in that he will be seen postseason as a late 2nd-3rd rd pick IMO, he will light up the combine, show off a rocket arm that can make any throw, and some team or 2 will fall in love with him which will allow him to be drafted 1st rd-early 2nd

jk the sooner fan
11/12/2012, 10:35 PM
he was rated last year as a mid to high first round pick
what is different this year?

nothing from what i can tell

i'm not saying he's going to be the next Joe Montana or Peyton Manning - i have no idea what he'll amount too

i'm simply responding to those that say he has no shot at the NFL at all -or that he doesnt have the talent to get drafted

colleyvillesooner
11/12/2012, 10:36 PM
Landry is a lot like Weeden in that he will be seen postseason as a late 2nd-3rd rd pick IMO, he will light up the combine, show off a rocket arm that can make any throw, and some team or 2 will fall in love with him which will allow him to be drafted 1st rd-early 2nd

To piggy back on that, as someone else said, he has had the same position coach his whole time here. So some coach will think he can coach him up.

But if you don't think the offseason footwork training helped you are crazy. He doesn't always do it right, but more times than not he evades someone he wouldn't have last year.

Collier11
11/12/2012, 10:38 PM
Look at the reduction in interceptions, he has 7 thru 9 games this year. He has had 12, 14, 15 and this year is on pace for about 9 to 10

yermom
11/12/2012, 10:43 PM
i don't see any reason why he wouldn't get picked up

would be awesome to have back to back QBs drafted in the first round

bluedogok
11/12/2012, 10:57 PM
To piggy back on that, as someone else said, he has had the same position coach his whole time here. So some coach will think he can coach him up.
#1 Example....Josh McDaniels taking Tebow in the first round thinking he could coach him into being an prototypical NFL QB.

8timechamps
11/12/2012, 11:04 PM
If Landry goes in the first round, it means he's probably going to a team that needs him ASAP. Which probably isn't what Landry needs, he needs to be able to learn behind a good QB.

BigTip
11/12/2012, 11:14 PM
I have two words;

bananas

existential

Wait, what was the question?

8timechamps
11/12/2012, 11:15 PM
I have two words;

bananas

existential

Wait, what was the question?

The question is: Monopoly chicken shoes?

jk the sooner fan
11/12/2012, 11:26 PM
If Landry goes in the first round, it means he's probably going to a team that needs him ASAP. Which probably isn't what Landry needs, he needs to be able to learn behind a good QB.

yeah i agree with that

there are quite a few teams that have "quarterback issues"

BoulderSooner79
11/12/2012, 11:40 PM

That was me. And to double piggy back on top of that he has been in the same offense for 5 years too. A change of coaching and scheme might bring out something we haven't seen. He'll get a shot with someone for sure.

picasso
11/12/2012, 11:54 PM
Landry has not really displayed much mobility. Heck, the announcers were ripping him in the Iowa State and Kansas State games for not stepping up in the pocket. One announcer commented that a senior QB should know to do the little things right at that point in his career. The NFL will want more mobility from him due to all the great pass rushers in the league. I think Jones has a lot of work to do before he would be a serious candidate for a starting QB job in the NFL... at least for a good team.
Are you kidding? The league is chock full of QB's who have zero mobility.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/13/2012, 12:15 AM
I have two words;
bananas

existential

Wait, what was the question?do something with:
forensic

sequential

colleyvillesooner
11/13/2012, 12:51 AM

"Hey!" Said Brady, both Mannings, Rivers, Cutler, ponder, Bradford, kolb, Palmer, cassel/Quinn, Weeden, Flacco, gabbert, Sanchez, Fitzpatrick, hasselbeck and schaub.

colleyvillesooner
11/13/2012, 12:54 AM
Double post

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/13/2012, 07:11 AM
Midround or so.

FirstandGoal
11/13/2012, 07:32 AM
Look at the reduction in interceptions, he has 7 thru 9 games this year. He has had 12, 14, 15 and this year is on pace for about 9 to 10

Not only that, but his line is decidedly worse this year than in previous years.
I would have loved to have seen what Landry could have done behind a great offensive line.

thecrimsoncrusader
11/13/2012, 09:04 AM

He has thrown it less this season due to the added emphasis on the run game. He would have to have 72 passing attempts per game in the final 3 games to match last season's passing attempts. He really hasn't improved at all from an interception standpoint and he certainly had some killler ones between the KSU and Notre Dame games.

And the Sooner offensive line has been fine from a pass protection standpoint after they settled down. They gave up like 7 sacks in the first few games, but have held steady with only 11 being given up on the season now. Landry's biggest improvement was from his freshman to sophomore year, but he's never really gone anywhere from there and still makes freshman mistakes at times.

cleller
11/13/2012, 09:05 AM
I've re-thought the Landry in the NFL thing some lately after watching a little more NFL than I usually do. It was, coincidentally, the Nick Foles game that got me thinking. Landry can make throws to rival lots a good NFL QBs. When the throw is the thing that matters most, Landry looks pretty good.

He may not carry the team on his back, but that doesn't seem to be the formula in the NFL. Its get in there and hit someone on a somewhat regular basis, and Landry can do that.

PrideMom
11/13/2012, 09:37 AM
Maybe you guys need to re-evaluate what you are seeing. Landry's throws against that terrible wind last Saturday were fabulous!

stoops the eternal pimp
11/13/2012, 09:54 AM
During the Iowa State game I posed a question about Landry to some different scout types and this is probably the best response I got back: This one from an Eagles guy..Ironically their guy who scouted Foles

I really have no idea where Landry Jones goes in the draft. So bad under pressure, so bad looking off defenders,but so physically talented.

Polled some teams and 6 scouts responded : 1-1st round 3-2nd or 3rd round 2-4th or 5th round...One of those said he would be a "reach" for him in the 4th.

sooneron
11/13/2012, 10:16 AM
he certainly had some killler ones between the KSU and Notre Dame games.

Most of your points were somewhat correct, but this is just plain ****ing stupid. You need to let it the **** go. You only make yourself look stupid when you post something so baseless in reality.

I think he goes at some point in the 2nd round. Teams always fall in love with arm strength.

radio
11/13/2012, 10:16 AM
NFL is a joke. Ought to just put a pink jersey on the QB. Just like last nights game. Chiefs stopped em twice on a drive that was extended by bs roughing penalties.

That being said LJ will be okay in the NFL 7 on 7 game.

**** the NFL. and if college gets any worse im done with football.

jkjsooner
11/13/2012, 10:21 AM
Not only that, but his line is decidedly worse this year than in previous years.
I would have loved to have seen what Landry could have done behind a great offensive line.

I guess injuries broke the four year trend of great offensive lines. 2000, 2004, 2008 were all very good to great lines. The years that followed were poor. Hopefully breaking the trend for 2012 will also mean that we'll be decent in 2013.

badger
11/13/2012, 10:41 AM
I wish Landry all of the best, even if I named our dog's meerkat chew toy "Landry" a few years ago in honor of his tendency to peek up and look at the sidelines for the play call :)

However, I think NFL expert gurus would agree that last year's quarterback crop was utter crap and came at the most inopportune time when the NFL was in short supply of quality quarterbacks, so teams were willing to take chances on raw talent just in the name of getting new people - possibly capable - out there and starting/just playing/just anything.

A few succeeded or did good enough to warrant a strong consideration for future starting. Russell Wilson in Seattle comes to mind. RG3 and Andrew Luck too.

But, you also have the Old Man Weeden and the Ryan Tannys as this year's Blaine Gabbos. And the fact that Cam Newton has sucked in his sophomore year has to give NFL execs migraines with all these n00b quarterbacks.

I really want the best for Landry, and Whitney too of course. I am confident that a team out there will give him a chance.

... but selfishly, I hope it's your NFL team and not mine, because I will probably be scared crapless if Wodgers Discount Double Check goes down and LJ comes in. Then again, I'm already fretting the next time they send Graham Harrell in :eek:

rock on sooner
11/13/2012, 10:45 AM
During the Iowa State game I posed a question about Landry to some different scout types and this is probably the best response I got back: This one from an Eagles guy..Ironically their guy who scouted Foles

Polled some teams and 6 scouts responded : 1-1st round 3-2nd or 3rd round 2-4th or 5th round...One of those said he would be a "reach" for him in the 4th.

I was waiting for Step to weigh in....my take is a high second rounder, which
means that team probably doesn't doesn't have a stellar O-line, which is LJ's
biggest weakness. If he gets pressured then he doesn't make the best choices.
This year, though, he is MUCH better at stepping up in the pocket (when he does
step up, that inconsistent issue again). On occassion, he shows off his arm with
frozen rope throws that make the scouts drool (Brown's td catch last Saturday).

I look around the country at senior qb's and not many ahead of LJ, so I guess only
time and the next four games and the combine/ pro day will tell.

badger
11/13/2012, 10:48 AM
I could see him sneaking into the first round the same way that Weeden did: The Browns were scared that he wouldn't be available when their second round pick came up, so they bit on him much earlier than they should have.

If the true first round quarterbacks are snatched up quickly as they were last year in this new era of slotted scale salaries for rookies, LJ could sneak higher, as quarterbacks are highly valued and now rookie quarterbacks are cheaper than ever!

thecrimsoncrusader
11/13/2012, 10:49 AM
Most of your points were somewhat correct, but this is just plain ****ing stupid. You need to let it the **** go. You only make yourself look stupid when you post something so baseless in reality.

I think he goes at some point in the 2nd round. Teams always fall in love with arm strength.

You're right, I shouldn't have stated the Notre Dame game, but your wrong with the rest being somewhat correct, they are all correct.

OkieThunderLion
11/13/2012, 10:55 AM
Maybe you guys need to re-evaluate what you are seeing. Landry's throws against that terrible wind last Saturday were fabulous!

Yeah, it was pretty remarkable. With the wind, it took off on him a bit, but the way he was cutting thru it was something NFL observants should take notice of.

OkieThunderLion
11/13/2012, 10:56 AM
I guess injuries broke the four year trend of great offensive lines. 2000, 2004, 2008 were all very good to great lines. The years that followed were poor. Hopefully breaking the trend for 2012 will also mean that we'll be decent in 2013.

Should be.

As opposed to godawful, as in 2001, 2005, and 2009.

OkieThunderLion
11/13/2012, 10:58 AM
I wish Landry all of the best, even if I named our dog's meerkat chew toy "Landry" a few years ago in honor of his tendency to peek up and look at the sidelines for the play call :)

However, I think NFL expert gurus would agree that last year's quarterback crop was utter crap and came at the most inopportune time when the NFL was in short supply of quality quarterbacks, so teams were willing to take chances on raw talent just in the name of getting new people - possibly capable - out there and starting/just playing/just anything.

A few succeeded or did good enough to warrant a strong consideration for future starting. Russell Wilson in Seattle comes to mind. RG3 and Andrew Luck too.

But, you also have the Old Man Weeden and the Ryan Tannys as this year's Blaine Gabbos. And the fact that Cam Newton has sucked in his sophomore year has to give NFL execs migraines with all these n00b quarterbacks.

I really want the best for Landry, and Whitney too of course. I am confident that a team out there will give him a chance.

... but selfishly, I hope it's your NFL team and not mine, because I will probably be scared crapless if Wodgers Discount Double Check goes down and LJ comes in. Then again, I'm already fretting the next time they send Graham Harrell in :eek:

Sarcasm?

OkieThunderLion
11/13/2012, 11:03 AM
"Hey!" Said Brady, both Mannings, Rivers, Cutler, ponder, Bradford, kolb, Palmer, cassel/Quinn, Weeden, Flacco, gabbert, Sanchez, Fitzpatrick, hasselbeck and schaub.

Ponder is like a 4.5 guy, if I recall. Cutler and Kolb move pretty well too. But point made. Landry's lack of mobility isn't going to keep him from a pro career.

I Am Right
11/13/2012, 11:11 AM
Justin Fuente

Soonerjeepman
11/13/2012, 11:30 AM
pretty sure he'll get drafted by round 3...prob be a back-up most of his 5-10 yr career, make $$, open his own church an be a minister. Not a bad life.

Matt Cassel is BAD...Chiefs NEED a QB, not sure Landry is the answer...

badger
11/13/2012, 11:34 AM
pretty sure he'll get drafted by round 3...prob be a back-up most of his 5-10 yr career, make $$, open his own church an be a minister. Not a bad life.

Matt Cassel is BAD...Chiefs NEED a QB, not sure Landry is the answer...

As it stands now... the "Suckley for Barkley" sweepstakes is tied between the Jags (1-8) and the Chefs (1-8), but after playing the Steelers to OT last night, you have to wonder if their heart is really in the "lose for next year's draft" effort. I question the team's motives! ;)

As far as which quarterbacks go first, what are your thoughts on these guys:
1- Georgia's Aaron Murray
2- Arky's Tyler Wilson
3- Rocky Top's Tyler Bray
4- WVU's Geno Smith
5- Condom's Matt Barkley

KantoSooner
11/13/2012, 11:41 AM
Barkley's got the media machine behind him...and is a pro-type QB.

Here's the thing that strikes me. Jones is 6'4" 230-ish, corrrect? Bell is 6'6" and 255. Bell is not hugely bigger or more 'rugged' than Jones. And yet Blake Bell comes across like a rampaging beast bent on beating the hell out of whoever stands in his path. Jones looks like he's afraid of everyone on the field, including his own guys. Why? I just don't get it.

Curly Bill
11/13/2012, 11:47 AM

Here's the thing that strikes me. Jones is 6'4" 230-ish, corrrect? Bell is 6'6" and 255. Bell is not hugely bigger or more 'rugged' than Jones. And yet Blake Bell comes across like a rampaging beast bent on beating the hell out of whoever stands in his path. Jones looks like he's afraid of everyone on the field, including his own guys. Why? I just don't get it.

He's a big ol p***y???

badger
11/13/2012, 12:01 PM

I believe the phrase "happy feet" has been commonly associated with Jones. Perhaps if we gave him a more rugged nickname like "Jonesdozer" we'd see less pocket dancing and more line breaking.

Jonesdozer... yeah... probably not good suggestion. That sounds like he's about to go to sleep and get sacked again :(

BoulderSooner79
11/13/2012, 12:03 PM

He is most likely playing the way he is coached to play.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/13/2012, 12:31 PM
I think the issue with this year's draft is who needs quarterbacks..Many teams have filled their qb needs(or tried) in the last couple of years. This year, it would be:

Buffalo and KC with a possibility of Jacksonville.. If KC ends up with the 1st pick, it will be Matt Barkley. Jacksonville will not pick Jones with the 2nd pick, because well...They already have him in Blaine Gabbert..Buffalo sounds like they are going to make a play on Vick..If not, they could make a reach..

Like I posted earlier..when post season bowls start and combine/workouts start, Jones will look stellar..When they scan through film, it will be "WTF was that?"..But people forget how average Stafford or Ryan was in college..Christian Ponder..even Tannehill.

I'm going to say mid/late 2nd round right now.

KantoSooner
11/13/2012, 12:33 PM
I would think that Josh would coach him to check off a couple of receivers and then throw it into the fourth row instead of locking on, watching the one receiver he's locked on stay covered and then, rooted to the ground, take the sack. Or, alternatively, run backwards for a while and then take the sack or fumble.

sluggo sooner
11/13/2012, 12:36 PM

I would point out two things. First, I believe that you are underestimating those additional 25 pounds. Imagine Millard at 231 lbs. instead of 256 lbs. I'm sure that he would be a good fullback just the same, but I doubt that he'd be as punishing a runner as he is at 256 lbs. Second, every run we've ever seen Bell make has been a designed run. So, by design he is running hard during a play that is blocked to produce a specific result. I believe that the last time Jones ran on a designed play was in the second quarter of the 2010 Big XII Championship against Nebraska, when he ran a naked boot leg to convert a 4th and 2. He was no Jack Mildren, but he was serviceable. Otherwise, Jones is running because the designed play has broken down.

(FYI, Jones is listed in the roster at 218 lbs., not 230 lbs.).

BoulderSooner79
11/13/2012, 12:51 PM
I would think that Josh would coach him to check off a couple of receivers and then throw it into the fourth row instead of locking on, watching the one receiver he's locked on stay covered and then, rooted to the ground, take the sack. Or, alternatively, run backwards for a while and then take the sack or fumble.

I'm sure he has. I'm just referring to the fact he doesn't look to run for positive yardage like Bell. Bell is sent in there to be a tailback taking a direct snap. LJ is supposed to move the team with his arm and avoid getting hurt from unnecessary hits. Just like most pro QBs are taught.

KantoSooner
11/13/2012, 01:06 PM
And your point is well taken. I'm just frustrated. I first got on this board making the comment that our QB woes were over because of Bradford (in part, remember this was before Sammy became what he became) and Jones. I LOVED Jones as a recruit. And I still think he's got the best physical tools of his generation. Good GOD! The guy can hit a square foot window moving 20 mph 70 yards downfield. He's got the height to see over most lines and spread the passing lanes. He's been injury free. He's a freak of nature. And yet...there's something that is missing. I kept thinking that he'd grow into the position, that it was just experience and/or maturity. This year, I was forced during the K State game to finally face facts and admit that it is never going to happen. I hope for his sake that he locks in as much of his first NFL contract as possible; because I don't see him getting a second contract.

thecrimsoncrusader
11/13/2012, 01:17 PM
He is most likely playing the way he is coached to play.

Rhett Bomar, Paul Thompson and Sam Bradford all had the same QB coach and I imagine they were coached the same way, but they didn't even come close to shying away from contact (i.e. staying in the pocket and delivering the ball consistently) as Landry Jones has from the 2009 through 2012 seasons. At some point, your instincts take over and you do whatever it takes to get that first down or you do whatever it takes to stay in bounds to help run out the clock instead of running out of bounds just to avoid taking a hit. In Landry's case, it's avoid contact at almost any cost. I didn't say at all costs, just almost at any cost.

jk the sooner fan
11/13/2012, 01:36 PM
i think you can add the Jets to the "need a quarterback" list

Arizona might want to start over again

BoulderSooner79
11/13/2012, 01:42 PM
Rhett Bomar, Paul Thompson and Sam Bradford all had the same QB coach and I imagine they were coached the same way, but they didn't even come close to shying away from contact (i.e. staying in the pocket and delivering the ball consistently) as Landry Jones has from the 2009 through 2012 seasons. At some point, your instincts take over and you do whatever it takes to get that first down or you do whatever it takes to stay in bounds to help run out the clock instead of running out of bounds just to avoid taking a hit. In Landry's case, it's avoid contact at almost any cost. I didn't say at all costs, just almost at any cost.

Sam rarely had to run or face contact with the teams he had in '07 and '08. When he had a weak line in '09, he immediately got hurt because he didn't know how to avoid the big hit.

BoulderSooner79
11/13/2012, 01:50 PM
And your point is well taken. I'm just frustrated. I first got on this board making the comment that our QB woes were over because of Bradford (in part, remember this was before Sammy became what he became) and Jones. I LOVED Jones as a recruit. And I still think he's got the best physical tools of his generation. Good GOD! The guy can hit a square foot window moving 20 mph 70 yards downfield. He's got the height to see over most lines and spread the passing lanes. He's been injury free. He's a freak of nature. And yet...there's something that is missing. I kept thinking that he'd grow into the position, that it was just experience and/or maturity. This year, I was forced during the K State game to finally face facts and admit that it is never going to happen. I hope for his sake that he locks in as much of his first NFL contract as possible; because I don't see him getting a second contract.

The biggest thing I see LJ lacking is a feel for the pocket. But he has improved this year with his ability to slide around within the pocket to buy time. The thing he has never figured out is how to escape the pocket and extend a play. He just doesn't have the feel for which way to run and how to use his blocks in an ad hoc manor. Big Ben is the best example of a guy that does that well (and curiously, he just got hurt doing that last night). Since there are only 4 games left in LJs OU career, yes - it is never going to happen. :) We'll see how he adjusts in the NFL under a new system and a new coach because he will get a shot. And he's a smart, hard working kid from a well off family, so his future is bright regardless of what happens in the NFL.

TheUnnamedSooner
11/13/2012, 01:58 PM

Those same announcers talked about how the Belldozer package was not built for short yardage situations. Just sayin...

Soonerjeepman
11/13/2012, 02:10 PM
As it stands now... the "Suckley for Barkley" sweepstakes is tied between the Jags (1-8) and the Chefs (1-8), but after playing the Steelers to OT last night, you have to wonder if their heart is really in the "lose for next year's draft" effort. I question the team's motives! ;)

NO DOUBT...WTH were they thinking. WE NEED the first pick...screw winning NOW! lol

we are bad, really bad.

goingoneight
11/13/2012, 02:35 PM
Jamarcus Russell
Ryan Leaf
Jimmy Clausen
Brandon Weeden
Colt McCoy
Stephen McGee

... Even if he fails miserably, he'll still get his shot like all of these guys did on measurables and abilities alone.

sooneron
11/13/2012, 03:37 PM
Jamarcus Russell
Ryan Leaf
Jimmy Clausen
Brandon Weeden
Colt McCoy
Stephen McGee

Akili Smith
Brady Quinn
Dan McGwire
Tavares Jackson
Danny Wuerffel
Rob Johnson
Matt Leinart
Tim Couch
Todd Marinovich...

Scott D
11/13/2012, 03:40 PM
Akili Smith
Brady Quinn
Dan McGwire
Tavares Jackson
Danny Wuerffel
Rob Johnson
Matt Leinart
Tim Couch
Todd Marinovich...

Gino Toretta
Jared Lorenzen
Jeff Blake
Tony Romo
Ty Detmer
Heath Schuler.....

stoops the eternal pimp
11/13/2012, 03:45 PM
i think you can add the Jets to the "need a quarterback" list

Arizona might want to start over again

Actually, I did have the Jets in that post and deleted them for some reason..But yeah, them too.

Scott D
11/13/2012, 03:46 PM
Jets don't need a quarterback, they have a Tebow.

sooneron
11/13/2012, 03:57 PM
... Mark Sanchez...

aero
11/13/2012, 07:33 PM
I think most here, and myself included, wish LJ the best and hope he makes it in the NFL. I don't think most thought he wouldn't get a shot but more along the lines he wouldn't last very long.
He's a bit of an enigma. Seems to have all the tools and can have games that he looks outstanding. But then there are times he deoesnt look like he's progressed much in the time he's been here. His pocket presence doesn't seem good and he doesn't seem to handle pressure well at all. But it would certainly seem like he should be picked up by someone and have the chance. While I have my personal doubts, he very well could end up doing very well. I hope he does.

Soonermagik
11/13/2012, 10:30 PM

The Mannings, Brady etc.. have much more talent than Jones. They release the ball quicker, can actually read a defense and at least know how to step up in the pocket when it's collapsing. Jones has a decent arm, but without the other abilities I see Jones as a bust in the NFL.

Sam Bradford can at least roll out of the pocket to escape some pressure. There are guys in the league with limited mobility that can make it, but they do the little aforementioned things right. Jones is not an NFL QB. I'm not hating, just keeping it real. I guess that makes me not a homer.

Collier11
11/13/2012, 11:45 PM
Landry has more than a decent arm, and I promise you that as long as he has the passion and is injury free, he will play a good 7-10 years atleast

thecrimsoncrusader
11/14/2012, 07:53 AM
Landry will definitely stay injury free. He's very good at avoiding contact and it shows as he hasn't even had as much as a hangnail on the grid-iron in his four years. Pretty amazing that Landry played most of all of the 4 years and didn't miss a game. That's very impressive for a collegiate QB. This post could be interpreted in so many different ways. :)

jk the sooner fan
11/14/2012, 10:10 AM
i also think NFL teams are giving up on their previous QB draft picks at a much quicker rate than before

see Cleveland with their QB musical chair draft board - there are other examples

sooneron
11/14/2012, 10:16 AM
Now that the rookie base is so much lower, they can do it without huge financial repercussions.

jk the sooner fan
11/14/2012, 10:17 AM
excellent point

sooneron
11/14/2012, 10:18 AM
And please, DO NOT TAKE LANDRY , NY Jets!!! That is a recipe for disaster in every aspect.

Hearing people **** and moan about him for any more time after January 2013, is more than I can bear.

jk the sooner fan
11/14/2012, 10:21 AM
i think KC might give him a look

Jacksonville may not be as in love with Blaine Gabbert as they used to be...

He could also be a cheaper (later round) upgrade for a back up position for a team that has an expiring contract with a bench rider.....lots of possibilities really

stoops the eternal pimp
11/14/2012, 10:25 AM
If KC keeps pick 1, they will most likely use that pick for Barkley..they are fine on the defensive side of the ball, the offensive line is ok..not great..

Interesting trivia for KC...A quarterback drafted by them has not won a game for them since 1987.

badger
11/14/2012, 10:27 AM
NO DOUBT...WTH were they thinking. WE NEED the first pick...screw winning NOW! lol

we are bad, really bad.

You have my sympathies, chef (baby badger was a baby chef for halloween, btw!). I really thought you guys were gonna make some noise, because your coach seemed to have stuff in the right direction late last year, and Matt Cassell was once good with hoodie's Patriots, and your running back is a fantasy football dream (NP has him, not me, heh).

Don't cling to hope of a top pick though. When the Packers had their suckitude year, they spent the fifth overall pick on... AJ Hawk?! I mean, he doesn't suck, but we've had better defensive dudes for lower picks (like Clay Matthews, who was a later first rounder) and... Wodgers Discount Double check himself (who was in the 20s in the first round, after the Niners and Jags took FAR worse QB options, tee hee).

stoops the eternal pimp
11/14/2012, 10:28 AM
And Jacksonville had a change of ownership late last year..When an owner has no ties to his quarterback, there is no loyalty to stick with him...It's just a struggling franchise that needs a boost..And no matter how good mjd is, they need a face for the team.

Curly Bill
11/14/2012, 10:31 AM
And Jacksonville had a change of ownership late last year..When an owner has no ties to his quarterback, there is no loyalty to stick with him...It's just a struggling franchise that needs a boost..And no matter how good mjd is, they need a face for the team.

But if they want that "face" to be anything but an empty-eyed stare, they sure as hell won't pick LJ!

jk the sooner fan
11/14/2012, 10:32 AM
speaking of KC - i laughed the other night when I saw our very own Donald Stephenson on the sideline - wearing long sleeves under his jersey - i'm pretty sure he was the only OL wearing long sleeves because of the weather

FirstandGoal
11/14/2012, 10:37 AM
Landry will definitely stay injury free. He's very good at avoiding contact and it shows as he hasn't even had as much as a hangnail on the grid-iron in his four years. Pretty amazing that Landry played most of all of the 4 years and didn't miss a game. That's very impressive for a collegiate QB. This post could be interpreted in so many different ways. :)

You know, I never really stopped to think that Landry hasn't missed a single game due to injury in his career here and that's really saying something considering how bad our O line has been a couple of those years.
I also can't decide if that's impressive or not.

badger
11/14/2012, 10:39 AM
Yeah... that Blaine Gabbo pick sure set them back a few years, didn't it? They need a hero. They need a Tim Tebow :P

(no they don't, but Tebow would put butts in seats, wouldn't he?)

But if they want that "face" to be anything but an empty-eyed stare, they sure as hell won't pick LJ!
Meh, a helmet covers up most of the stare... all the fans will see is a mustache sticking out... and perhaps the cameras will be too busy talking about his wife in the stands to notice the dorky meerkat :D

speaking of KC - i laughed the other night when I saw our very own Donald Stephenson on the sideline - wearing long sleeves under his jersey - i'm pretty sure he was the only OL wearing long sleeves because of the weather
Didn't our own ex-Raven line guy Kelly Gregg also wear sleeves? It might be strategic move, not a weather one! :)

sooneron
11/14/2012, 10:43 AM

What if they trade for [gulp] Timmah? It has been mentioned a lot in the past. Could they say, "**** it, we're going to bring him in and build a makeshift offense that suits his play"? It's not like he'll be expensive and that is the only place where he could have a jersey sales impact at this point.

meh, badger beat me to it.

One thing is for sure, if LJ goes after the third round, chances are, we'll never hear of him again.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/14/2012, 11:12 AM
What if they trade for [gulp] Timmah? It has been mentioned a lot in the past. Could they say, "**** it, we're going to bring him in and build a makeshift offense that suits his play"? It's not like he'll be expensive and that is the only place where he could have a jersey sales impact at this point.

meh, badger beat me to it.

One thing is for sure, if LJ goes after the third round, chances are, we'll never hear of him again.

They would be a fool not to..just from a financial standpoint.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/14/2012, 11:24 AM
One thing that may push Jones down a step or 2 is the improved play of EJ Manuel, who also has the measurables, and and Mike Glennon who could be developed into a nice pocket guy.

And what Tyler Bray does will also matter.

badger
11/14/2012, 11:35 AM
They would be a fool not to..just from a financial standpoint.

Conspiracy theories abound... but look at this:

Tebow is one of the last remaining players … under the old CBA rookie contract structure. Under the old CBA, 1st round draft picks often had low base value deals … with easily attainable escalators based on playing time. … As a QB drafted in the 1st round those incentives are increased dramatically.

Tebow’s rookie contract had a base value of $9.7125 million with an easily achievable value of $11.25 million based on reaching the standard playing time escalators of either 35% as a rookie or 45% any year thereafter. He unlocked that in 2011 when he played in about 76% of the Broncos offensive snaps.

As a first round QB, he had the potential to turn the contract into a $33 million dollar deal through incentives that would only be realized if he turned out to be the next John Elway. The more realistic number was that the contract would be worth $22.5 million if he developed into a starting QB.

The additional $11.25 million, if earned, would be added onto the backend of Tebow’s 5 year contract in 2013 and 2014. He had two avenues to earn the escalators. If he played in 55% of the snaps in two of his first three seasons (2010-2012) he would earn an additional $5 million in 2013 and $6.25 million in 2014. If he plays in 70% of the snaps in 2013 he earns the full payment in 2014.

Tebow’s current cap number in 2013 is $2,586,875 which includes a guaranteed payment of $1,531,875 that goes to the Denver Broncos as part of the terms of the trade. If Tebow was to earn that escalator his cap charge would balloon to $7,586,875. That is a number the Jets can’t handle next season, considering they owe Sanchez $8.25 million guaranteed next year and a cap charge of over $12.8 million. 2014 is not an issue for the Jets but clearly 2013 is, and maybe that is playing a role in the management of Tebow’s snaps.

I don't think his weird contract is the reason for them not playing Timmah more in Jest-land. Rather, I think Sanchez's weird contract ($60 million extension?!?! Really??!?!?) is the reason for them not playing Timmah more in Jest-land.

J-E-S-T JEST JEST JEST! :P

Scott D
11/14/2012, 11:44 AM
Conspiracy theories abound... but look at this:

I don't think his weird contract is the reason for them not playing Timmah more in Jest-land. Rather, I think Sanchez's weird contract ($60 million extension?!?! Really??!?!?) is the reason for them not playing Timmah more in Jest-land.

J-E-S-T JEST JEST JEST! :P

More like Woody Johnson wants Tebow to start, and Rex wants an actual quarterback to start, and for now Rex is winning that fight...at least until Woody fires him.

jk the sooner fan
11/14/2012, 11:46 AM
Michael Vick will get another shot at being a starter somewhere - it just wont be with Philly

stoops the eternal pimp
11/14/2012, 11:50 AM
Word is jk that Buffalo is going to be all over Vick.

badger
11/14/2012, 11:55 AM
Michael Vick will get another shot at being a starter somewhere - it just wont be with Philly

If by "another shot" you mean "paid the NFL minimum for a veteran of his experience on a team with several other quarterbacks in camp, only to get cut due to the cost of keeping a vet like him on the roster compared with a rookie that has more upside.." then YES! Yes a team will give him a chance!*

*About as much of a chance as what the Beefalo Bills gave Vince Young last preseason. Hey, look! Scissors! *cut*

jk the sooner fan
11/14/2012, 12:04 PM

like a pitbull on a puppy?

jk the sooner fan
11/14/2012, 12:05 PM
If by "another shot" you mean "paid the NFL minimum for a veteran of his experience on a team with several other quarterbacks in camp, only to get cut due to the cost of keeping a vet like him on the roster compared with a rookie that has more upside.." then YES! Yes a team will give him a chance!*

*About as much of a chance as what the Beefalo Bills gave Vince Young last preseason. Hey, look! Scissors! *cut*

you're quite wrong about the minimum

he'll get paid by somebody - he still has skills - he's been running for his life in Philly - that O-line is horrendous and he's taken more hits than any QB in the league this year

stoops the eternal pimp
11/14/2012, 12:13 PM
Buffalo is originally where Vick wanted to go but Goodall persuaded him to pick the Eagles..for whatever reason.

Buffalo has pretty much been laying low on the qb position waiting for Vick to become a FA, which is why they haven't made a draft move at QB and Fitzgerald still has a job.

badger
11/14/2012, 12:35 PM
He's 32 years old and he's practically a running back with the way he scrambles so much... 32 is WAY old for a running back in this era of the Neffel. I just don't see any team, even one desperate for a QB, to take that much of a financial risk on someone that's had such a bad year win-wise (or as Vince Young would say: "DREAM TEAM!" lol)

Mjcpr
11/14/2012, 12:40 PM
He's 32 years old and he's practically a running back with the way he scrambles so much... 32 is WAY old for a running back in this era of the Neffel. I just don't see any team, even one desperate for a QB, to take that much of a financial risk on someone that's had such a bad year win-wise (or as Vince Young would say: "DREAM TEAM!" lol)

In terms of mobility, any 32 year old RB is going to be > 99% of the QB's in the league so that is not an issue. Especially since he still can throw the ball. He is no Dan Marino but he is a much better QB than Vince Young ever was. And he is far and away better than anything Buffalo is trotting out there.

C&CDean
11/14/2012, 12:42 PM
Landry will make somebody's roster in the NFL.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/14/2012, 12:49 PM
I'm not saying this in terms of talent but in terms of style of quarterback...michael vick is more steve young than vince young.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/14/2012, 12:49 PM
Landry will make somebody's roster in the NFL.

I'll put you on a roster.

Mjcpr
11/14/2012, 12:53 PM
I'll put you on a roster.

Rooster?

sooneron
11/14/2012, 03:55 PM
b*****!!!

StoopTroup
11/15/2012, 03:26 PM

And maybe Vick's will be all over Buffalo...

Menthol and vapor rub is big in Buffalo. I have MV doing some really huge commercials where he has some nice Lady Trainer wiping him down with the precious topical cream.

. Whenever I had a cold (http://www.divinecaroline.com/forum/show_posts/3437), those were mom’s go-to remedies. She would make me a glass of hot water, honey, and brandy and then rub Vicks on my chest. I always felt instantly better (and slightly tipsy).

Via http://www.divinecaroline.com/22175/84075-twelve-surprising-uses-vicks-vaporub#ixzz2CKBsOUka

1. Decongest Your Chest
2. On Your Tootsies
3. Achy Breaky Muscles
4. Get Rid of Nasty Nail Fungus
5. Stop Your Cat from Scratching
6. Pet Pee-Pee Deterrent
7. Headaches Be Gone
8. Humidify Your Sleep
9. Paper Cuts and Splinters
10. Ticks and Bugs

If the rub don't do it...pour some Tussin on it...:panda:

Scott D
11/15/2012, 04:55 PM
Based on a statement made earlier today, how amusing would it be if he's selected by the Cleveland Browns who are allegedly using the final 7 games as an audition to decide if Weeden is the answer.

jk the sooner fan
11/15/2012, 05:54 PM
would not surprise me, they gave up on Colt McCoy pretty damn fast

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2012, 11:16 AM
When a quarterback loses an owner and the gm that pushed for him, he is fair game, especially considering he wasn't a top 10-15 pick.....McCoy was a 3rd round pick, so no loss in their eyes there either.

badger
11/16/2012, 11:44 AM
The reason Old Man Weeden may not last in Cleveland is... well, isn't Mike Holmgren leaving, if he hasn't left already? With the team losing that coach isn't long for the job, either.

So, you won't have your GM or your coach to back you.

2011 quarterback drafted: Colt McCoy
2012 quarterback drafted: Old Man Weeden
2013 quarterback drafted: ???

You know they're gonna take a QB, it's just a matter of what round and who. THREE YEARS IN A ROW! Browns fail. :P

EatLeadCommie
11/16/2012, 02:33 PM
It isn't rocket science. Landry just doesn't have the smarts to be successful in the NFL. He has most of the physical tools and none of the mental tools. There isn't a game that goes by where he doesn't make a basic mental error, and that doesn't include when he forces throws into double or triple coverage or stares down his primary receiver (the latter of which is a regular occurrence). This is something that we expected to decline over the course of four years and it hasn't. At this point, I'm not inclined to just chalk it up to bad coaching. It is innate and reflexive to Landry and cannot be untaught by the NFL QB gurus.

smooth3d
11/16/2012, 03:11 PM
I think he will make it.

C&CDean
11/16/2012, 03:49 PM
It isn't rocket science. Landry just doesn't have the smarts to be successful in the NFL. He has most of the physical tools and none of the mental tools. There isn't a game that goes by where he doesn't make a basic mental error, and that doesn't include when he forces throws into double or triple coverage or stares down his primary receiver (the latter of which is a regular occurrence). This is something that we expected to decline over the course of four years and it hasn't. At this point, I'm not inclined to just chalk it up to bad coaching. It is innate and reflexive to Landry and cannot be untaught by the NFL QB gurus.

And with all these glaring flaws he's OU's all-time leading QB (stats wise), and in about 3rd place in the effing history of the NCAA. Man, some of y'all are harsh.

KantoSooner
11/16/2012, 04:04 PM
Weeden is the answer.

"Who is applying to North Dakota State on a hockey scholarship?"

"Who most resembles Opie after tragic steroid experimentation?"

"Who would scare you most if they came down your street with their head sticking out the sun roof of a 'Smart Car'?

"Who would be the perfect break dancing partner for Mike Gundy?"

Sorry, just trying to imagine a question to which 'Weeden!' was the answer.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2012, 04:15 PM
He does nothing different than about every big armed quarterback did while he was in college...heck most of them do in the NFL also...

Now, since QB coaches are having to build their QBs from the ground up in the NFL, I think they can do some things with him..

EatLeadCommie
11/16/2012, 04:45 PM
And with all these glaring flaws he's OU's all-time leading QB (stats wise), and in about 3rd place in the effing history of the NCAA. Man, some of y'all are harsh.

Thanks to 4 years as a starter and throwing to Ryan Broyles for almost 3 of those years.

thecrimsoncrusader
11/16/2012, 04:56 PM
You can never take the "afraid to take a hit" out of a QB. That's something that can't be taught. Landry isn't any different in 2012 than he was in 2009 in that regard. There's a reason he has never been injured and it hasn't been just good luck or good fortune.

jk the sooner fan
11/16/2012, 05:25 PM

and stupid

jk the sooner fan
11/16/2012, 05:27 PM
you know whats funny?

Colt McCoy had a 4 year career at texas....didnt win a heisman, didnt win a national championship and i dont think he won a big 12 title either

and yet he won a **** ton of games...and is considered a legend by most down there

ole Landry has a similar career - winning record against texas and a host of other accolades, and half the fan base thinks he's worthless

Romney calls you folks the "47% crowd" ;)

Salt City Sooner
11/16/2012, 06:16 PM
you know whats funny?

Colt McCoy had a 4 year career at texas....didnt win a heisman, didnt win a national championship and i dont think he won a big 12 title either

and yet he won a **** ton of games...and is considered a legend by most down there

ole Landry has a similar career - winning record against texas and a host of other accolades, and half the fan base thinks he's worthless

Won one in '09 (although I'd bet there are a few Nebraska fans who'd beg to differ) on the way to the NCG.

jk the sooner fan
11/16/2012, 06:19 PM
Won one in '09 (although I'd bet there are a few Nebraska fans who'd beg to differ) on the way to the NCG.

you are right, thanks for the correction - i was actually at that game (i'm married to a Husker)

C&CDean
11/16/2012, 06:30 PM
you know whats funny?

And ****ing stupid.

C&CDean
11/16/2012, 06:32 PM
Well actually Romney didn't call you "****ing stupid" cause he's all mormon and stuff; but he did call you "really stupid."

StoopTroup
11/16/2012, 06:49 PM
^rotf

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2012, 07:30 PM
I suspect folks are just trying to make predictions, but there is a tone in some posts that comes across as wanting LJ to fail at the next level. Maybe as punishment for not being the QB they wanted him to be at OU? I just see him getting his chance at a high enough draft pick to get a REAL chance in the NFL. He made OU better by being here or he wouldn't have won the starting job and OU has provided the support that will lead to him being drafted - it's a win-win. And he has enough going for him outside football that I doubt he'll feel punished if the NFL is not in the cards.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/16/2012, 09:35 PM
1. Landry has an NFL arm.

2. Landry is not a sufficiently good-decision maker yet.

C&CDean
11/16/2012, 09:41 PM
1. Landry has an NFL arm.

2. Landry is not a sufficiently good-decision maker yet.

Kinda sounds like your president, no?

jk the sooner fan
11/17/2012, 12:05 AM
let this sink in a bit

from Mr. Tramel's latest article

Landry Jones will start at quarterback Saturday night in Country Roads coliseum. No news there. Landry always starts for the Sooners.

The OU-West Virginia game marks Landry's 44th straight Sooner start. The man who first got the job because of a quarterback's vulnerability has remained healthy across four seasons.

Read more: http://newsok.com/berry-tramel-landry-jones-is-ous-version-of-the-iron-man/article/3729278#ixzz2CSAWmXel

44 straight starts

SanJoaquinSooner
11/17/2012, 12:39 AM
Kinda sounds like your president, no?

Mods, please move this comment to Obamafest2012.

But seriously Dean,

I voted for McCain in 08 and Gary Johnson this time around. And I voted for Hillary over Obama in the primaries.

swardboy
11/17/2012, 10:35 AM
Mods, please move this comment to Obamafest2012.

But seriously Dean,

I voted for McCain in 08 and Gary Johnson this time around. And I voted for Hillary over Obama in the primaries.

LOOSER!

rock on sooner
11/17/2012, 10:46 AM
LOOSER!

At least spell your insults correctly.

Scott D
11/19/2012, 12:24 PM
If I had to guess right now, I'd say that there are relatively high odds that Landry could be an Arizona Cardinal.

Badj, if Browns management decides Weeden is the guy going forward, they are more likely to pick up a veteran backup than draft another QB.

Bourbon St Sooner
11/19/2012, 12:39 PM
At least spell your insults correctly.

Right, it's LOSUR